• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hello fellow Nerds!!

My name is Ben, I'm new to Nerd Fitness. I just wanted to extend the olive branch to any other kettlebell enthusiasts. Kettlebells are my favorite....

I am a StrongFirst II Kettlebell Instructor and have been coaching kettlebells for over 7 years. I'm currently a physical preparation coach in Kentucky. I'm open to any discussions on training with kettlebells. Post any questions, topics, programs, etc. 

I'm currently on a hypertrophy program, but will begin training for the Tactical Strength Challenge in th new year. Is anyone else going to compete a the TSC or have any interest in preparing together?

• Like 2

I love KB's. I'm  just  a gal who decided she needed to get in shape. I'm a big Pavel fan. Right now I'm focusing on bodyweight, but in January, I plan on picking up my kettlebells for a bit

• Like 2

Thanks for replying everyone! I can always count on finding a kettlebell addict like myself anywhere.

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Welcome KBPanda. I'm not a SFG, just a tyro restarting S&S again.
@Elastigirl , @KBGirl , and @The Most Loathed like to chat about KBs too.

Simple and sinster is a great program. I have recommended it to other people and enjoy Pavel's stuff, but I have never actually done it. I'm more of a volume and variety kind of guy plus I'm usually in training for a contest. . 

16 hours ago, Machete said:

Yep. SFG 2, SFB here.

I just gave you a follow on instagram. You have some awesome posts. Very impressive. What are you currently working on?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, kettlebellkungfupanda said:

I just gave you a follow on instagram. You have some awesome posts. Very impressive. What are you currently working on?

Thanks. Saw your IG as well. Strong stuff. Even stronger memes. :)

Right now it's just repairing my hip and shoulder so I can go back to Jiu-jitsu at full capacity, and squaring-away my handstand. Then it would be GB Foundations and weighted Pistols.

22 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

That is a very mild way to put it.

Thank-You-to-all-my-fans.gif?fit=500,281

• Haha 1

Thanks for the kind words. I am also rehabing a shoulder injury. Training for strongman competitions above my strength level shredded my labrum, but I''m slowly getting back. Finally pressing with about 75% so I'm just training aesthetics really. Keeping the nutrition tight and working with moderate weights.

Have you ever done the TSC? I usually compete in that, but my pull ups keep me from doing any good.

On 12/12/2017 at 7:57 PM, kettlebellkungfupanda said:

Thanks for the kind words. I am also rehabing a shoulder injury. Training for strongman competitions above my strength level shredded my labrum, but I''m slowly getting back. Finally pressing with about 75% so I'm just training aesthetics really. Keeping the nutrition tight and working with moderate weights.

Have you ever done the TSC? I usually compete in that, but my pull ups keep me from doing any good.

Yeah, I did in April this year. Pull-ups is really the only thing I win at. Haha

That’s a great question, everyone says to pack your shoulder, but no one really defines it or explains how.

IIRC, I’ve heard to act as if your shoulders are poison to your ears, but that hasn’t helped me much with my swings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/15/2017 at 3:10 PM, kettlebellkungfupanda said:

If only we could join forces....

fusion-dbz-gif-12.gif

20 hours ago, Chen Wangting said:

I have question about the normal two handed swing. Do you have any advice how to ensure the correct position of the shoulders?

Usually thinking of trying to break the handle in half puts the shoulders in a good position. Or you can think of pulling your shoulders back and down or "putting them in your back pockets."

18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That’s a great question, everyone says to pack your shoulder, but no one really defines it or explains how.

IIRC, I’ve heard to act as if your shoulders are poison to your ears, but that hasn’t helped me much with my swings.

Yeah, people get really pedantic about definitions of "packing" and "shoulder." Haha

• Like 1

On 12/17/2017 at 6:21 PM, Chen Wangting said:

I have question about the normal two handed swing. Do you have any advice how to ensure the correct position of the shoulders?

Break the handle is a great cue by @Machete

To 'feel' this, try this drill. Stand in front of a barbell on a rack or a half wall or anything at chest level. Hold the arms out straight with palms on top of the bar. Make sure your hips are tucked and glutes are tight, just like the top of the swing. Exhale and push down on the bar while slightly ripping it apart. This will turn on the lats and hopefully the abs. That is how the shoulders should get tight at the top of the swing. They shouldn't be lifting the bell, but rather loading it for another swing.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2017 at 11:40 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Breaking the handle is the best cue I've heard. Thanks.

Didn't quite get the question about shoulder position, but the "break the handle" answer got me there. Our coach keeps using that metaphor for KB exercises as well as a lot of barbell stuff (Deadlifts, Olympic Lifts etc) in order to get the point across that we need to apply some tension before initiating the move.

• Like 1

I currently have a 30lb kettlebell and want something bigger.

How heavy should I go for things like swings and squats while keeping the 30 for presses for the time being?  I'm primarily a runner, but enjoy kettlebells way more than barbells or bodyweight for cross-training.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 8:41 PM, TheOtherScott said:

How heavy should I go for things like swings and squats while keeping the 30 for presses for the time being?  I'm primarily a runner, but enjoy kettlebells way more than barbells or bodyweight for cross-training.

I think a good weight to start with would be a 24kg, 52lbs. If you have pretty good swing technique and are strong you could go for a 32kg. The 24kg is the standard men's weight and is very challenging for high repitition swing workouts like the program minimum, 200 one arm swings in 10:00, and snatch test, 100 in 5:00. 

I like the kettlebells made by Rogue Fitness and Kettlebell Kings. They seem to be the best quality for the price. You can go Dragondoor if you want to be really fancy ;)

• Like 1

On 12/28/2017 at 8:41 PM, TheOtherScott said:

I've read that 2-handed Swings with about 30% of your bodyweight is the sweet spot for power production. (This also happens to be my Snatch test 'bell, and one I find that I like for most movements. The Goldilocks 'bell--not too big, not too small.) 24kg is standard for most males. 20kg if you're under 150lbs, 28kg if you're over 220lbs. If you can only have one, I'd go with that.

• Like 1