The Irish lad's lifting journal.

Hello everyone!

Starting as I mean to go on, slowly (very slowly), with a lifting log here to throw out my programme with anyone who wants to follow my lifting journey.

I'm an Irish guy in my mid twenties, living and lifting in Ireland. I eat all sorts of potatoes, sup all kinds of pints and am passionate about strength training and in general getting better than I was yesterday

If you want to follow my journey that'd be cool.

I'm about 80 Kilos at 5'9 and prepping for my first powerlifting comp in March, where I'm hoping to hit the following numbers:

Deadlift: 440 lbs

Squat: 374 lbs

Bench: 275

Today I worked up to a max top set of 1x215lbs on the bench and dropped back to 4x5 @ 176 lbs. No touch and go, no ego, just me trying to be less weak than I am. This was followed by one arm rows, incline pressing, front raising and bro curls. I was training in the first gym I ever stepped into, where I once struggled to deadlift 135 lbs, and it was pretty cool to come back a little bit stronger.

Anyways, that's all for now, nice to meet you you all and I'll check in tomorrow for some post squat follow-ups.

Peace,

The Irish lad

Hello Rebels,

just checking in after a few days of ten hour shifts. Unsurprisingly enough, I've lacked a bit of the motivation to sit down and type some more at a computer outside of work after spending a day at one, but I'm going to try be as consistent as possible!

The last few days have been good training wise.

Tuesday was a squat day, so this consisted of working up to a top set of triples at 145 kg (319 lbs) and then I dropped down to 4x4 at 130 KG (286 lbs). After that I hit up paused deadlifts 6x3 at 145 kg (319 lbs) and called it a day.

Wednesday was a rest day. 

Today I had a recovery session and worked a 5x5 on the bench at 75 KG (165 lbs) and humbled myself as usual trying to military press 53 KG (116 lbs) for 4x6. I only hit five reps on each set so I'll stick to that again next week. I then performed weighted pull ups for 3x8 with for 22 lbs, did some face pulls, arm work and headed home beef brisket. :):) 

While the main focus of this blog is to document my strength journey, I'd be lying if there weren't other areas I wanted to improve upon in my life. I'm your average 24 year old graduate working through the whole 'what do I do with the rest of my life' and I'm planning on applying for a PT course over the next year and getting into some writing. If I can write a paragraph or two a day about something I'm interested in, I'll consider that a life gain. Long term, if I can save up the cash to apply for a PT course and get a job in a gym six months from now, I'll feel like I've accomplished something.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a great day and enjoying a mince pie (in moderation) at this time of the year. I'm off to the pub!

Happy holidays!