Purity, energy, balance and quests from the 3 Sages

I'm making this quick, because I'm a bit late to the challenge, but I want to get in here :-)

It's not my first time, but it's been a while, so I'm considering this my first challenge, and taking it seriously. Also it's the holidays, I'll join the big kid challenge board with the new year. It just seems right.

I'm taking advice from 3 sources:

Fat Chance by Robert Lustig (Sugar/processed foods and how they affect hormones and are addictive)

Brain Maker by David Perlmutter (your gut microbiome affects your brain and all systems and needs to be cultivated)

What Are You Hungry For? by Deepak Chopra (importance of the mind-body connection as the missing piece in weight issues. I'm listening to this on CD now, it's really resonating with me right now)

I've already been soda and sugary drink free for a while, so unfortunately I don't have that low hanging fruit available to help me slim down hahaha. But working in some exercise and calmness to my life are things I need to do. Working full time and taking care of 2 small kids leaves me with little free time, so I need to get centered and creative!

Quests from the 3 Sages:

1. Take a walk every day, even if it's only 10 minutes. Play outside with the kiddos on the weekend.

2. Be mindful of meals. Eat what makes me feel pure, energetic and balanced, knowing I'm not only feeding myself and building my cells, but feeding my gut flora.

3. Add positivity to my life. A tangible goal here is to say one positive thing to myself in the mirror every day.

Event quest:

A water/tea/broth fast on the Solstice (Dec 22)

Bonus: 

Lift weights once per week.

I think these are a lot, but doable. The hardest part about it is just literally remembering to do them! I'm starting today! 

Thanks for reading!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Starkanda said:

working in some exercise and calmness to my life are things I need to do. Working full time and taking care of 2 small kids leaves me with little free time, so I need to get centered and creative!

Quests

1. Take a walk every day, even if it's only 10 minutes.
  2. Play outside with the kiddos on the weekend.
  3. Be mindful of meals. Eat what makes me feel pure, energetic and balanced, knowing I'm not only feeding myself and building my cells, but feeding my gut flora.
  4. say one positive thing to myself in the mirror every day.
  5. water/tea/broth fast on the Solstice (Dec 22)

Bonus

• Lift weights once per week.

Hello Starkada.  Welcome back to the game!

Most of your quests look good.  Could you clarify Quest #3 is a bit more?  How will you be measuring your progress for being mindful of meals?

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

2/3 meals/day containing no processed food or refined carbs.

Snacks: only in the case of physical hunger, and only natural whole food. (A fruit, fresh veggies, small portion of nuts or nut butter for example)

Limit sweets to a single small portion of a quality treat, and only in the context of a gathering/celebration. And then, only finish it if it is truly delicious and bringing me joy. (I have a bad habit of finishing things just because they are there, even if they aren't good)

No seconds without waiting 20 minutes first.

No eating when in a bad mood.

Clarified :-) hopefully I can quantify that a bit better, but that's the basic rules I'm aiming for.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Starkanda said:

I'm making this quick, because I'm a bit late to the challenge, but I want to get in here :-)

It's not my first time, but it's been a while, so I'm considering this my first challenge, and taking it seriously. Also it's the holidays, I'll join the big kid challenge board with the new year. It just seems right.

I'm taking advice from 3 sources:

Fat Chance by Robert Lustig (Sugar/processed foods and how they affect hormones and are addictive)

Brain Maker by David Perlmutter (your gut microbiome affects your brain and all systems and needs to be cultivated)

What Are You Hungry For? by Deepak Chopra (importance of the mind-body connection as the missing piece in weight issues. I'm listening to this on CD now, it's really resonating with me right now)

I've already been soda and sugary drink free for a while, so unfortunately I don't have that low hanging fruit available to help me slim down hahaha. But working in some exercise and calmness to my life are things I need to do. Working full time and taking care of 2 small kids leaves me with little free time, so I need to get centered and creative!

Quests from the 3 Sages:

1. Take a walk every day, even if it's only 10 minutes. Play outside with the kiddos on the weekend.

2. Be mindful of meals. Eat what makes me feel pure, energetic and balanced, knowing I'm not only feeding myself and building my cells, but feeding my gut flora.

3. Add positivity to my life. A tangible goal here is to say one positive thing to myself in the mirror every day.

Event quest:

A water/tea/broth fast on the Solstice (Dec 22)

Bonus: 

Lift weights once per week.

I think these are a lot, but doable. The hardest part about it is just literally remembering to do them! I'm starting today! 

Thanks for reading!

Being mindful of meals is a great goal as mindfulness improves cognitive function!

• Like 1
On 11/28/2017 at 1:29 PM, Starkanda said:

2/3 meals/day containing no processed food or refined carbs.

Snacks: only in the case of physical hunger, and only natural whole food. (A fruit, fresh veggies, small portion of nuts or nut butter for example)

Limit sweets to a single small portion of a quality treat, and only in the context of a gathering/celebration. And then, only finish it if it is truly delicious and bringing me joy. (I have a bad habit of finishing things just because they are there, even if they aren't good)

No seconds without waiting 20 minutes first.

No eating when in a bad mood.

Clarified :-) hopefully I can quantify that a bit better, but that's the basic rules I'm aiming for.

I think I need to borrow this plan :D

Welcome back!

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Thanks everyone for the replies! I cannot say I've been perfectly compliant with these goals, but I have been making good progress paying attention to when I get urges for food for the wrong reasons and making better choices, got my weightlifting sets in this weekend, and doing more walks, doing more play. Took my son out for a walk yesterday afternoon, nothing much, but spending time outside together was a treasure. We did little things, like find an acorn and leave it out on the fence for a squirrel to find. I'm listening to my hunger signals more, paying more attention to my mental/emotional well-being. Timing couldn't be better with the holidays, birthday, lot's of planning and obligations in my life right now. Feeling light and strong (any interpretations) are what I'm focusing on right now, and things are feeling pretty good in that regard. 

I've been thinking of my fast today, don't have the plan yet, but I do want to make it meaningful and thoughtful as I'm doing it. It is a work day, but I will at minimum make an effort to spend more time outside and not take breaks at my desk, yuck! 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Starkanda said:

Thanks everyone for the replies! I cannot say I've been perfectly compliant with these goals, but I have been making good progress paying attention to when I get urges for food for the wrong reasons and making better choices, got my weightlifting sets in this weekend, and doing more walks, doing more play. Took my son out for a walk yesterday afternoon, nothing much, but spending time outside together was a treasure. We did little things, like find an acorn and leave it out on the fence for a squirrel to find. I'm listening to my hunger signals more, paying more attention to my mental/emotional well-being. Timing couldn't be better with the holidays, birthday, lot's of planning and obligations in my life right now. Feeling light and strong (any interpretations) are what I'm focusing on right now, and things are feeling pretty good in that regard. 

I've been thinking of my fast today, don't have the plan yet, but I do want to make it meaningful and thoughtful as I'm doing it. It is a work day, but I will at minimum make an effort to spend more time outside and not take breaks at my desk, yuck! 

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading this today :D 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I've spent the better part of last week eating the wrong stuff, not being too active, and generally not doing a whole lot of my quest goals. Anyone else having trouble? I can jump back on now, and I still am planning to go through with my winter solstice fast (one of my quests), sigh, just hoping I can still level up. Or at least not be a "first timer" in January!

if you look. quite a few people ARE struggling with their goals right now....

between holiday "feasts" and the effects of Winter (darkness & cold); It is harder than normal to make substancial improvements in fitness/eating.  that doesn't mean its impossible or that you shouldn't try.

and if your are struggling, sometimes just staying "in the game" with a small exercise program is a success.

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....