Calories and keto

Vian

Im thinking of giving keto a try after the new year. I bought a cook book that had recipes that i liked regardless of being keto or not, but its called the 30 day ketogenic cleanse by maria emmerich. In the beginning of the book where she is talking about the principles of keto, she says that 1100-1300 calories are enough for most of her clients. I understand that you tend to be less hungry on a keto diet, but that seems really low. I am 5'9" tall and currently about 250lbs. and 1800 calories is a deficit for me.

Is it normal to go that low on calories on keto for weight loss?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

9 hours ago, Vian said:

Is it normal to go that low on calories on keto for weight loss?

It could well be, for small-sized people.  Keto does tend to reduce the hunger hormones and help you eat less, however in my experience the number of calories does not correlate with weight loss (or health) when ketogenic.  I have been on LCHF then keto for 2.5 years, going from 270 to 180 lbs and reversing my T2 diabetes, and when I log food, I get anything between 1100 and 2700 Kcal per day.  I am also 5'9" (and a half, actually).  I also do IF, so that is why the calories are so irregular.  But that's the whole point with keto, your energy comes out of your body fat (once your insulin is lowered it allows the fat to be mobilised).  Ultimately, I wouldn't worry too much about calories (as long as on average you aren't massively over- or under-eating).

What is your goal, though?  Weight loss or health improvements, or both?  Do you exercise and how?  (FWIW, I just walked for the first year)

Finally, I don't have that book, but I've seen her website and the recipes look yummy!

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

It could well be, for small-sized people.  Keto does tend to reduce the hunger hormones and help you eat less, however in my experience the number of calories does not correlate with weight loss (or health) when ketogenic.  I have been on LCHF then keto for 2.5 years, going from 270 to 180 lbs and reversing my T2 diabetes, and when I log food, I get anything between 1100 and 2700 Kcal per day.  I am also 5'9" (and a half, actually).  I also do IF, so that is why the calories are so irregular.  But that's the whole point with keto, your energy comes out of your body fat (once your insulin is lowered it allows the fat to be mobilised).  Ultimately, I wouldn't worry too much about calories (as long as on average you aren't massively over- or under-eating).
What is your goal, though?  Weight loss or health improvements, or both?  Do you exercise and how?  (FWIW, I just walked for the first year)
Finally, I don't have that book, but I've seen her website and the recipes look yummy!

My goal is weight loss. Ive got my main health issues under control right now, but my weight is not. She says to make sure to eat less than 30g carbs and less than 50-75g protein and dont worry about the fat as much (basically eat fat until you arent hungry after that) because so long as carbs and protein are at or under those numbers you will be in ketosis. If your calories are at a deficit, thats good because then your body will use stored bodyfat for energy.

I think at first i will shoot more for 1800-ish calories, which i think is more reasonable for someone my size and if i get to a point where i just cant eat that much anymore, i wont worry about it.

"When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire; When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire - O be thou then the first, the one thou art; Be thou the calling before all answering love, and in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire." - George MacDonald

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, Vian said:

My goal is weight loss. Ive got my main health issues under control right now, but my weight is not. She says to make sure to eat less than 30g carbs and less than 50-75g protein and dont worry about the fat as much (basically eat fat until you arent hungry after that) because so long as carbs and protein are at or under those numbers you will be in ketosis. If your calories are at a deficit, thats good because then your body will use stored bodyfat for energy.

I think at first i will shoot more for 1800-ish calories, which i think is more reasonable for someone my size and if i get to a point where i just cant eat that much anymore, i wont worry about it.

Yep, I think that sounds reasonable.  Instead of looking at calories, though, look at the foods:  2-3 eggs and veggies for BF; tin of oily fish and salad for lunch; 2 chicken thighs (with skin!), veg & salad for dinner.  I still eat mostly like this, although sometimes IF through BF or dinner; rather than eating, eg. just 1 egg for breakfast, or 1 drumstick...

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/