• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nomad Jay

Maintainance Lifting

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but a cursory search of the threads didn't turn up anything. Bluntly, weight-lifting's not really my thing. I took it up a few months ago as a supplement to running. I'm satisfied with what I can currently squat I expect to hit my bench-press and DL goals shortly. Once I hit that, how often do I need to lift to maintain what I've got? Once a week? Twice a week?

The idea of lifting weights to improve other athletic endeavors requires that you get stronger for it to help. If you want your strength training to improve your running, then you need to be training to get stronger, and either hit bigger numbers, or the same numbers for more reps. There is a reason most Olympic level sprinters can squat big numbers. "Maintenance lifting" isn't really a thing. You're either getting stronger, or you're not. Sorry.

That being said, if lifting bigger weights isn't your ultimate goal, don't put a huge emphasis on it. Instead lift twice a week, focusing on improving form, decreasing rest time, and increasing weight/reps gradually over time. And put the rest of your focus on your actual athletic goals. There's a channel I was watching for a time on youtube: Essop Merrick . I don't understand any of the running stuff, but the lifting stuff all seems pretty well on point.

That should be pretty easy to figure out by trial and error. It also will depend on what you're doing in the gym and how hard you're doing it. I'd guess once or twice a week.

I get where you're coming from. If you lift too much the training time and recovery takes away from the running you can do. It's a hard balance.

Circuit training may also be a way for you to "maintain" muscle w/o doing the "traditional" lifting routines.

A quick example would be to replace a leg day that used to be Squats, Leg Curls, and some cardio with a 15 minute circuit of Body Weight Squats, Stability Ball Leg Curl, Sled Push, Tredmill run/sprints....there are infinite amount of upper and/or lower body circuits out there...

On 4/13/2018 at 2:44 PM, Referee93 said:

Circuit training may also be a way for you to "maintain" muscle w/o doing the "traditional" lifting routines.

A quick example would be to replace a leg day that used to be Squats, Leg Curls, and some cardio with a 15 minute circuit of Body Weight Squats, Stability Ball Leg Curl, Sled Push, Tredmill run/sprints....there are infinite amount of upper and/or lower body circuits out there...

So instead of doing "squats, leg curls, and some cardio", do 15 minutes of "Squats, leg curls, and some HIIT"?

1 hour ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

So instead of doing "squats, leg curls, and some cardio", do 15 minutes of "Squats, leg curls, and some HIIT"?

Moreso meant that since Nomad Jay said "weight lifting isn't his/her thing", there are other ways to work those muscles and maintain strength using body weight routines instead of 'traditional' lifting equipment 

On 4/18/2018 at 4:28 PM, Referee93 said:

Moreso meant that since Nomad Jay said "weight lifting isn't his/her thing", there are other ways to work those muscles and maintain strength using body weight routines instead of 'traditional' lifting equipment 

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Right on then. Jay will less bang for their buck, but if they're not enojoying it, they're not going to do it. Gotta find what you enjoy doing that gets those results, and do that.