Extra Self Care - Sleep in and extra PJ time

- cold shower :)

- video games and videos with my mom :)

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

On 12/28/2017 at 9:41 PM, annyshay said:

- horseback riding for 40 minutes

On 12/29/2017 at 6:18 PM, annyshay said:

We forgot because we were enjoying! We’ll just have to ride again! ;)

Ok, I'm a bit jealous now... but so glad you had a great time! It's really time that Adam and I do some riding again.

On 12/28/2017 at 9:41 PM, annyshay said:

Stranger Things with Mom

*big curious eyes* oh wait, you are referring to that series aren't you? For a minute there I was worried... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

12/30/2017

Write - 7 day streak on 4TW

Savor - number of distraction free meals: 3

- breakfast: distraction free, homemade

- lunch: distraction free, restaurant

- dinner: distraction free, homemade

- snacks: distracted by computer

Move - Joint Mobility

- Stretch for the Journey #6

- 1 mile walk at a park with fitness equipment scattered through

- Yoga Stretches

Extra Self Care - special snack for me and mom

- relaxing with my momma

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

12/31/2017

Write - 8 day streak on 4TW

Savor - number of distraction free meals: 5

- breakfast: distraction free, homemade

- lunch: distraction free, homemade

- dinner: distraction free, homemade

- snacks: distraction free, store bought x2

Move - Joint Mobility

- Walking at the Mall

- Yoga Stretches

Extra Self Care - cards and dinner with Mom and Aunt Laura

- Wim Hof breathing

Would you guys be interested in some sort of updates here as well as in my challenge or would that be confusing?

I'm not sure what would be the most helpful for myself so far, so expect some experimentation and play with what goes where for a while. I try to link things of interest to all parties whenever I can. *shrugs* So much awesome to share... it gets hard to stay organized. ;)

• Like 2

Love as thou wilt.

Wim Hof Updates

From 12/31/2017

So, tomorrow starts week two of Wim Hof Fundamentals, which is entitled Stress Control. I haven't watched the group class or the 1 on 1 breathing session yet, but I did watch the stretches and the homework video. The stretches are different this week with a shift in focus towards relaxation and restorative poses including neck stretches, child's pose, and spinal twists. The video lasts about 6 minutes, so fairly similar to the video from week one in duration. 

The homework video talked about three different exercises to do in addition to the stretches and breathing. The first exercise is the cold showers. This week we increase the amount of time at the end of the shower from 30 seconds to 1 minute. This won't be a problem in Arizona, but Minnesota's water is COLD. I'll have to really focus myself before my session on Thursday. 

The second homework exercise is one that Lara played around with a lot more than me previously - the ice bucket exercise. Wim spent about 5 minutes explaining how to do it. Basically take a bucket with cold water and ice and stick an extremity in it for 2 minutes. He suggests emphasizing extremities that are a problem (for instance your feet if you have cold feet). I skipped this exercise before because I don't have too much trouble with cold extremities, but as it gets colder in Minnesota, my feet start to bother me. I'll try this going forward with both my feet and when I have time my hands. Not sure if Mom has ice here in Arizona, but I will play around with it and just do cold water if I need to. 

The third homework exercise is a new one. Wim asks us to count our breaths over a minute (I had already done the breathing for today, so I was super chill and only needed 6 breaths in a minute). If you breathe 15-20 times in a minute, that's indicative of a stress (sympathetic, fight-or-flight) response. As a way to train ourselves to quickly switch out of the stress response, he suggested humming for a minute. Simple right? Well, I totally used to do this in choir all the time and had forgotten it as a technique. Humming I only needed 4 breaths. He suggests practicing this daily, but it would be easy to do as often as I notice that I'm tense. Basically, I'm surprisingly excited about this exercise, hehe.

Tomorrow I plan to watch the group video for my daily practice. From then on I'll likely use a combination of the stretches video and the 1 on 1 breathing video. I'm glad I'm working through the new version of the course. It's good for my brain to approach the same concepts in a slightly different way, so that I can integrate them more and play with the ideas enough to make them part of my own routine. Are any of my Hoffers practicing at the moment? What are you working on?

From 1/1/2018

Afterwards I did my Wim Hof stuff for the day. The videos were having a hard time loading with Mom's internet, so I had to take a few breaks intermittently. I did the yoga stretches from my memory of yesterday's video - neck rolls, neck stretch, child's pose, and lying spinal twists. Next I did the minute of humming to de-stress while the one on one breathing video was loading. The video was different this week but kept cutting in and out so it was a bit choppy. There were two traditional rounds and then two more rounds with Wim playing guitar and singing. I actually did five rounds during the time with retentions from :33-43 seconds and spent the extra time going all zen listening to the music. It was a fun experience, and I think I will be able to enjoy it more in the future when I know what to expect. I don't know that I'll be able to do the ice bucket exercise while I'm in Arizona... but Minnesota looks more than cold enough for practice later.

• Like 3

Love as thou wilt.

Wim Hof Update

1/2/2018

I did the ice bucket extremity exercise for the first time this morning. Whooooey. That hurts worse than an ice bath in my opinion. I started with my right foot and only one tray of ice. It was cold, but took about 4 minutes for my veins to do their close then open routine. I added another tray of ice and the water was more than cold enough for my left foot. Those two minutes weren't too bad anyway. Since I had such nice cold water sitting around, It seemed like waste to not practice on my hands. I did my right hand first and @zenLara wasn't kidding about how painful it is to do on my hands. I survived but I had to walk around for a good few minutes afterwards and shake my hands out.

With Mom's internet up to regular snuff, there was enough bandwidth to watch the Group Class for this week. There were about 8 minutes of questions at the beginning of the video none of which were particularly new for me but explained things in different ways. Then Manika came on and led us through about 20 minutes of yin yoga that were yummy. After that, Wim returned and led us through four rounds of the breathing exercise and retentions. It was the same audio as the one on one breathing session this time, so it was two rounds of normal exercise and then two rounds during which Wim was ad libbing on his guitar. My retentions were typical at about 30 seconds, but they felt very nice today. I was enjoying meditating so much that I played the heart chakra meditation that I found on youtube that lasts for about 26 minutes. Feeling pretty awesome.

• Like 3

Love as thou wilt.

tenor.gif?itemid=3560203

I'm going to resurrect my battle log. The current challenge ends on May 20th. The next challenge has a prep week, 4 weeks, and then a 2 week summer vacation, which is getting awfully close to the old 6 week challenge format that I still love. I've been hitting a groove with my mental health and movement, so I think that I'll keep tracking them over here for accountability while keeping an active challenge thread as well. Keep your eyes peeled, Rebels!

• Like 4

Love as thou wilt.

Qo6Zntt.gif

• Haha 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

1 hour ago, annyshay said:

Well... that's vaguely unnerving and right on point. Haha.

trust me the alternatives I found on gifs were much worse :lol:

but I couldn't resist picking it up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

tenor.gif?itemid=10762390

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

• annyshay changed the title to Legend of Annyshay

tenor.gif

Hello friends, I figured that I would retreat into my battle log for a little while until the next challenge goes up. I'm getting twitchy without having a place to post what I'm up to. I hope you all had a lovely start to the holidays and are enjoying whatever time you have with family and friends. 

I've been busy since last we spoke. I went home to Rochester NY for several days. I stayed with my grandparents as did my mother. We spent a lot of days doing nothing much beside eating. I didn't have to plan too much or worry about anything although some of my dilemmas regarding my next job did play around in my mind. It was good to see my grandfather healing, eating more, and chatting with us as the days passed. He had been pretty dejected following a few falls. 

Now I've been back in Minneapolis for a few days and back to work. I've got this weekend and a few days next week before I have to start into service again. That means that my schedule will get crazy and I will be getting paged repeatedly during the day again. It lasts for a month, and it's the last time that I have to do it during my fellowship. Thank goodness. After that is my two week trip to Antarctica. 

I'm tired from all the traveling and anxious about my job decisions. By the way, I was offered a second job, so now I'm debating between the two of them. I think that I'll go more into my thoughts about the various jobs in another post, actually.

• Like 4

Love as thou wilt.