• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Anim07734

The Assassin's Den

HELLO it is so cold here but not as cold as other places so I guess that's something.

Happy last week of the year!!!

anyone else collecting underpants by navel gazing on big goals instead of next (achievable and measurable) steps like I am?

like I KNOW WHAT I WANT TO ACCOMPLISH, SELF. now let's stop adding to the list and start breaking it down so we can actually GET THERE, mkay?

• Like 5

5a463dbb4ced7_gnomeswithpile.jpg.ce92e3af170a7a2895d9c80dc6d4bd93.jpg

Always stockpile underpants.  Phase 2 may be a question mark, but trying them on will help you figure it out.  You won't wear them all, but eventually you'll find pairs which fit you perfectly and guide you through Phase 2 to a successful Phase 3... PROFIT!

• Like 4

I have notebooks and notebooks full of underpants! ...Well plans for underpants at least. ;):lol:

My problem is I still want to do ALL THE THINGS, and as I learned last year that leads nowhere fast. So I'm trying to convince my brain to calm the heck down and not go overboard with all the new year's resolutions again. I'm hoping to have a little bit better brainspace by the time the second challenge rolls around... there are so many big goals I'd love to chase down in 2018, if life allows. But I am so doing the mini this time. For more than a week. For realz. *solemn nod*

It would be easier if it's not 23 degrees -> 70 -> 24 all in one day, please and thank you. Stupid spastic Virginia weather. *mutters and bundles up* If Florida Man news stories weren't so terrifying, I'd be willing to move south! :P

• Like 5

It's supposed to get into the 30s sometime this week... time to break out the scarves and hats! (Apparently it's not socially appropriate to wear them when it's 58F and windy. :cold: )

January includes a lectin elimonation diet for me.

And the mini. I have a paper structure for my mini this time so maybe I'll stick to it for more than a few days this time.

• Like 2

happy new year!!!

Anyone trying to do something on January 1 to cement their intentions for a fit and happy new year?

I'm going to get up and do a yoga thing, and then I'm going to a knitting party at my friends' house. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, karinajean said:

happy new year!!!

Anyone trying to do something on January 1 to cement their intentions for a fit and happy new year?

I'm going to get up and do a yoga thing, and then I'm going to a knitting party at my friends' house. 

I think I'm going on a short hike tomorrow with the family. Also going to get up and meditate first thing in the morning.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, karinajean said:

happy new year!!!

I'm about to go for a short run, and then I'm going to set up my bullet journal for the year, post my challenge, and get to work editing the novel I've been ignoring for the past couple months.

Also, hi, guys! It's been a while, but it's good to see you all again. ^_^

• Like 4

On 12/31/2017 at 1:34 PM, karinajean said:

happy new year!!!

I slept in, my vacation runs through this weekend. :P

• Like 5

HAPPY NEW YEAR, ASSASSINS!

I, too, slept in. 

Your guild leaders are just here to remind you that sleep is the FOUNDATION of all health and habits. ;) 

• Like 7

This is making my brain hurt a bit... "The scientific evidence is clear as can be that cutting calories simply doesn't lead to long-term weight loss or health gains." -- "If you are a dieter, remind yourself that you aren't weak, but that you were in an unfair fight that very few win. Change your focus to improving your health with exercise (which doesn't require weight loss), and resolve to choose a different New Year's resolution next year." -- http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/02/health/body-fights-dieting-food-partner/index.html

I know it's just random people on the internet and that I shouldn't believe things I find online that are geared towards bringing in the page views... but what a depressing thing to stumble across on Day 2! :(  *goes off to log things into MyFitnessPal anyways*

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

This is making my brain hurt a bit... "The scientific evidence is clear as can be that cutting calories simply doesn't lead to long-term weight loss or health gains." -- "If you are a dieter, remind yourself that you aren't weak, but that you were in an unfair fight that very few win. Change your focus to improving your health with exercise (which doesn't require weight loss), and resolve to choose a different New Year's resolution next year." -- http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/02/health/body-fights-dieting-food-partner/index.html

I know it's just random people on the internet and that I shouldn't believe things I find online that are geared towards bringing in the page views... but what a depressing thing to stumble across on Day 2! :(  *goes off to log things into MyFitnessPal anyways*

^ Truth. It helps in that it gets some people to look at a food label but otherwise it just puts people into starvation mode and unless you're really truly fasting that's no bueno. Better to adjust what is being eaten and curb snacking.

I'm doing an ultra restrictive low lectin diet this month and I'm already discovering I probably shouldn't be intermittent fasting at the same time. Or I shouldn't share my cooking with my parents. I'm so hungry!!! Like, ears are popping hungry. It's weird (maybe) but that's what happens.

I should probably be logging my calories so I know I ate enough. This whole thing is worse than Whole30 especially since I can't have eggs (my gut does not like eggs).

Nutrition is something like 80-90% of your weight loss or some shit. So cutting calories won't do anything if what you eat is shit. Garbage in, garbage out as they say. A deficit is important but it needs to also be good food.

Also yesterday I ran. Outside. In the cold. Today I did Bodyweight 1A from NFA. It was pretty enjoyable.

• Like 4

HI ASSASSINS!!!

Let me ask you a QUESTION OF THE WEEK:

muscular-body-with-a-question-mark_1205-

we are already kinda-sorta halfway through the week! think carefully - what is your biggest obstacle or barrier to meeting your goals this week?

(and what are you doing to overcome the obstacle / barrier?)

My biggest obsticle is a pressing work deadline (friday after work). it's overwhelming, stressful, and will take a LOT of work to get there.

to overcome - I need to be super scheduled and regimented to make sure I save time for the fitness and good food - because I know I'm also super tired, likely to get more tired, and even more stressed out with the work things. I made a meal plan earlier in the week with my husband and I know exactly what my evenings will look like, so I need to be really clear with myself on my morning expectations. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, karinajean said:

HI ASSASSINS!!!

Let me ask you a QUESTION OF THE WEEK:

muscular-body-with-a-question-mark_1205-

we are already kinda-sorta halfway through the week! think carefully - what is your biggest obstacle or barrier to meeting your goals this week?

(and what are you doing to overcome the obstacle / barrier?)

I blocked out time on my calendar,  set realistic expectations, and prioritized goals. Working on small chuncks of goals, meditation has been about 3-5 mins a day but it's been done. This week was going to be long hours with appointments every day after work. Kept food prep easy with pre packaged salads and protein. Making the best choices possible, and leaving room for not being able to complete everything. 

• Like 3

Work. The answer is always work. It'd the beginning of the semester and I am teaching a class most students consider to be the hardest of the major. So there's a lot of emotional labor on top of lecturing.

Nothing to it but to push through it. Workouts happen before I go into work because I will be exhausted after work.

• Like 1

My biggest barrier is, and will always be, my distractible monkey brain. The solution is planning! But not too much planning because then I get all stressed out about getting Every. Thing. Done. RiGHtNOW...aaaand then I crash and burn.

So my solution is to carefully navigate between the Maelstrom of distraction that sucks away my time, and the Charybdis of perfectionism that will crash me against the rocks. Sensible lists, reasonable plans. By gum, I need my hubby to look at my calendar and to-do lists and give me a reality check. He's *much* more sensible than I am. (And yet I tricked him into marriage!!!)

giphy.gif

• Like 4

Hi so, haven't stopped by here in ages, but was thinking about coming back. I guess you are too far in with your current challenge, so I guess I'll join you for the next one.

I have a question for assassins who might have the same problem as me - wanting to do all the things! I have had some really good fitness triumphs since I was last here, and a lot of these came about from doing bouldering in addition to the NF academy (currently on bodyweight level 6, hoping to level up soon). However, I'm wondering how much you need repetition of exercises in order to get stronger? You are supposed to do the NF academy exercises three times a week, but that's impossible to do with rest days, because I also regularly do pole once a week and aerial hoop once a week.... not to mention climbing whenever I can!

So what do you assassins do? My feeling is it's best to prioritise the fun stuff... but then I find myself becoming crap at squats or pull ups or whatever, and worry I'm losing strength. :-/

On 1/21/2018 at 1:29 PM, AceVixen said:
Hi so, haven't stopped by here in ages, but was thinking about coming back. I guess you are too far in with your current challenge, so I guess I'll join you for the next one.

I have a question for assassins who might have the same problem as me - wanting to do all the things! I have had some really good fitness triumphs since I was last here, and a lot of these came about from doing bouldering in addition to the NF academy (currently on bodyweight level 6, hoping to level up soon). However, I'm wondering how much you need repetition of exercises in order to get stronger? You are supposed to do the NF academy exercises three times a week, but that's impossible to do with rest days, because I also regularly do pole once a week and aerial hoop once a week.... not to mention climbing whenever I can!

So what do you assassins do? My feeling is it's best to prioritise the fun stuff... but then I find myself becoming crap at squats or pull ups or whatever, and worry I'm losing strength. :-/

The assassin challenge is open to anyone at any time! Feel free to drop in.

What you're describing is normal. People in all classes suffer from it. It's best to prioritize what will help you and what you think is fun. Something you can stick to!

Assassins tend to prioritize mobility. We've got some aerial artists and parkour fanatics. We have people who stretch a lot and focus on swimming and running shorter distances. We've got martial artists and kickboxers and dancers and all kinds of peeps. I'm focusing on strength and endurance right now but my ultimate goal is to be really good at tennis and to be flexible. I also like to swim and have been toying with the idea of getting back into martial arts. I want to be able to defend myself. And build up the courage to cosplay again. See? Rangerbrain. XD

• Like 4

7 hours ago, AceVixen said:

I also suffer from this (my current challenge has 7 different categories :o ).  I would say doing the fun things is the easiest but for me it comes down to which of them am I actually going to do. I end up letting some of the more fun activities (mobility/animal movement) slide so I can focus on things that will bring me closer to my long term goals (calisthenics).

I do get the trade off issues, though. I find when I am making strength gains my flexibility tends to take a hit, and vice versa. Even within one focus area I get the same thing. I have been working on front & back levers for the last coyple of challenges and have lost a lot of he progress I as making towards a muscle up.  What I find is the most important is to not get hung up on the losses and keep he big picture in mind (overall I am still progressing, even though certain arwas may fluctuate. luckily it is easier to get back what you have lost than it was to get it in the first place, so don't worry too much and just keep going with whatever keeps you going :)

• Like 3

19 hours ago, AceVixen said:

If you're ready to start a challenge, you should start a challenge!  Who knows how you'll feel when the next one rolls around and it's far too easy to continue procrastinating.  Two weeks is still plenty of time to try out new habits, and you can always just treat it as a trial run for next month.

Not all progress can be measured in reps.  If you're progressing in your fun activities, then you're making progress.  Personally, I try to find a compromise between the things I currently enjoy doing and working towards the things I want to be able to do.

• Like 3