• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Anim07734

The Assassin's Den

I guess what I really want is advice on whether or not it's a good idea to do strength based workouts every day!! I am failing to get up the motivation to go to pole fitness tonight, and the academy exercise is sounding way more appealing right now. Might be a good idea perhaps for me to stick to just aerial hoop and climbing, then I can get the academy stuff in too.

Has anyone tried to get onto the last level of the bodyweight series, because omg is it impossible???

20 minutes ago, AceVixen said:

I guess what I really want is advice on whether or not it's a good idea to do strength based workouts every day!! I am failing to get up the motivation to go to pole fitness tonight, and the academy exercise is sounding way more appealing right now. Might be a good idea perhaps for me to stick to just aerial hoop and climbing, then I can get the academy stuff in too.

Has anyone tried to get onto the last level of the bodyweight series, because omg is it impossible???

I have no experience with the academy, but I would say that no, doing strength-based workouts every day is not a good idea. Your body needs some recovery time, so if you're constantly stressing on it and not allowing that recovery, your progress can actually be slower than if you'd properly rested in between.

If you really want to do strength training every day (or just more than 3x a week), you can come up with a split schedule to keep from overworking the any particular muscle group.  For instance, you can do upper body Mon/Wed/Fri and lower body Tue/Thu/Sat; or push Mon/Thu, pull, Tue/Fri, and legs Wed/Sat; or some other combination.  Alternately, you can stick with full body strength training 3x a week and do something else on your off days like walking, running, sprints/HIIT, yoga, mobility, flexibility, etc.  If your aerial and bouldering aren't too strength intensive, you can even do those on your off days.  Just listen to your body and make sure you're getting enough rest when you need it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Snickie said:

Went afk and then I died. I fell off all the bandwagons. Whoops.

My current quest is literally "finding the wagon."

Stupid inconsistent holidays. :playful:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Question of the Week (defining "week" as loosely as possible)

For the new people: 

What fitness acronyms do you find confusing or still don't understand?

For the experienced people: 

What are some fitness acronyms that you found confusing when you first started and how would you explain them to a new person?

Hey guys! I've been away for a while, but I really need to get back. I haven't been off the wagon entirely!

I mentioned before I left my buddy was wanting me to get a gym membership with him, to engage in some loathsome bodybuilder routine, like he used to do. And I was down for it, because I like hanging out with him, and I like trying new things. Well, our second day, he wrenched his shoulder, and after that was all "Ugh, I'm fat, and old, and so out of shape. It is no use. Never mind." But he'd already bought me a 3 month membership, so left to my own devices, I did the "Starting Strength" routine - just squat, deadlift, overhead press, and bench press, 3x5, starting light and adding a little weight each time. It was actually pretty awesome. I can now squat more than my body weight, and the workouts were boring but not at all loathsome. 

But reading the Starting Strength forums made me miss you guys terribly, because they are pretty "one size fits all". Like either you want to get strong, and you are going to do whatever it takes to get as strong as you possibly can, or get the hell out of here. So in light of that...

On 1/29/2018 at 11:13 AM, Anim07734 said:

Question of the Week (defining "week" as loosely as possible)

What are some fitness acronyms that you found confusing when you first started and how would you explain them to a new person?

The favorite Starting Strength acronym - YNDTP. You're Not Doing The Program.

For me, "not doing the program" was mostly about diet. I know I'm not eating right. I know I could put on more muscle if I ate better. But right now, this is what I am working with. Doing the workouts is a huge step for me. I've been struggling hard with depression this past year, and just getting into the gym and lifting hard three days a week is great for keeping my mood on track. But hearing over and over that if I'm not going to eat four big meat and veggies meals a day, then just don't bother, mostly my reaction is, "Well, never mind then. I won't bother. There is no way I can do this right. I might as well just give up."

Except I remember what I learned here - Start where you are at, no matter where that is. Take small steps, don't set yourself up for failure. People have different goals and different ways of training and that is awesome.

I'm not at all hating on Starting Strength - I think they are awesome. It is just a very, very, very different mindset.

So I'm thinking I need to get back on NF for the next challenge cycle, which fortunately starts next week. Perfect.

• Like 7

YNDTP... that would give me a big 'meeeeeh'. Yeah, one lesson I have learnt here is that doing something is better than doing NOTHING. I would obsess about getting everything perfect, and when the tiniest thing when wrong, I would be like ARGH IT'S ALL RUINED NOW. Now I just do what I can. I broke my wrist a couple of years ago, and now push ups suck and crow pose seems impossible. But I just keep doing what I can and screw the program. It's better than not trying at all, right?

One important acronym I learned when I was starting was DOMS...delayed onset muscle soreness. That's the aches you get after a hard workout or a new exercise. I kept not ever making any gains because I would wait until they went away completely before doing my next workout, which could be several days. The important lesson I learned from this forum was the best thing for them was more exercise! Get all the blood flowing to those sore muscles, wash out all the muscle breakdown products and get all the goodies in. Once I started adding in recovery swims on my rest days, and wasn't afraid to do my workouts even if I didn't feel 100 %, I improved massively, and now I don't get DOMS for my day to day workouts at all. :-)

• Like 4

DOMS is a great one that I use all the time!

TMTS is one I adore and winds up being very applicable to a lot of things... and can definitely give you a lot of DOMS. ;) 

It means TOO MUCH TOO SOON, and it often is used to describe the approach of being very gung-ho and taking on a whole lot at once. Whether that means a lot of volume your body isn't ready for (deciding to run 10 miles a week when your current baseline is 0), taking on 10 new habits at once, or returning too quickly from an injury. It asks people to stop and think about whether or not this is a sustainable and healthy way to approach whatever new thing they are trying to do. TMTS can encourage injuries, make you feel super drained, and cause TOTAL BURNOUT. 

• Like 3