• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Strickland5

Scouts Camp 2018 : Welcome to the Jungle

I ran by the Capitol at the Capital, a long the frozen coast, and back again by the lake. So I ran in 3 different States in less than a week. If I can manage it I was thinking about driving up to the trail and doing my long run that crosses the Mass, NY and Vt border. So I will have 5 different States in less than two weeks. Sadly the Orcs where hidden but I think I saw a mermaid tail.

Checking in. The last few weeks have been a roller-coaster. On the upside, I did get the opportunity to do a seven-mile run through the streets of Budapest. If I get the opportunity again, I'm definitely crossing the river and running Buda hill.

• Like 1

I was at the Y again today on the treadmill and decided to run 0.25 miles at 5.8 mph (I had already jogged 1 mile).

Inner me: "Oh yeah! Running so fast for a quarter of a mile, you the man! You can do this all day!"

Person next to me steps on the treadmill while I'm cooling down. Proceeds to run 1 mile at  6.0 mph....God has his ways of humbling me. :huh: 

And if it's bad manners to peek at other's treadmills while they're running, that's news to me. 

I like your signature quote by Epictetus, Nomad. Inspirational.  

• Like 1

Rubik's keep at it. After taking some time off and only doing the odd 5k I came back to running last November, when I came back running 6.5 mph for a half hour was tough and I saw people rocking out runs at 7+mph for an hour. Which after being able to run like that was discouraging, however I just focused on myself and continued to train and as of right now I am up to running 10 miles as my long run, and can knock out a 5 mile run in under 40 . It's tough work but you can do it.  

@Rubik'sCat don’t compare your chapter 1 to someone else’s chapter 20. Or your chapter 20 to someone else’s chapter 13.  Or your chapter 8 to someone else’s chapter 8, haha.  You were rocking out! Keep that feeling and let it carry you to doing more in your own story.  It’s a big deal to have challenged yourself to increase your speed, even for a short time. Keep it up!

On 4/17/2018 at 4:38 PM, Radost said:

@Rubik'sCat don’t compare your chapter 1 to someone else’s chapter 20. Or your chapter 20 to someone else’s chapter 13.  Or your chapter 8 to someone else’s chapter 8, haha.  You were rocking out! Keep that feeling and let it carry you to doing more in your own story.  It’s a big deal to have challenged yourself to increase your speed, even for a short time. Keep it up!

I was told there would be no math.

1 hour ago, Mike_d85 said:

I was told there would be no math.

Exxxxxactly. No math. Math is setting yourself up for tears. :P

ETA @Frost of the Gloaming despite the above, I totally like adding arithmetic to my workouts too. One of the run trackers I use offers average time/km as one of the things it will report to you at each km and I ended up turning it off because I missed doing the calculations myself, haha. 

On 4/17/2018 at 5:26 AM, Rubik'sCat said:

I like your signature quote by Epictetus, Nomad. Inspirational.  

Thanks, wrote it myself! Wait, hang on...

I'm terrible at Stoic practices, but the philosophy greatly appeals to me. Bit by bit, I reckon.

Spent the weekend in NYC, did a run along the water on the Hudson River Greenway and something else right on the Chelsea piers, the amount of people out running is inspiring and the views of City are amazing, it was to foggy to get a good shot but you could see the Statue of Liberty out in the distance, the Freedom tower, the US Intrepid. I highly recommend it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Fluff, so doing a half marathon on Saturday they changed the weather to low 50's upper 40's and pouring rain. Praying for no hypothermia 

That sounds pretty close to last year's full marathon at Shipyard.  They had showers with hot water at the end of the race, though.  I recovered pretty fast from the cold, but chafing was a huge issue.

Hi! Took a little break but am back now, ready to get involved again!

Going through some crazy stuff right now in my work and personal life, but fitness-wise things are going well.  I've started a barbell routine a few times a week and it's taken things to the next level for me. 

Hi everybody.  Just to let you know there is a challenge forthcoming from me, but I don't know what it will entail yet.  I just moved house and I have a lot of goals to organize not the least of which is getting my gym set up in the garage (so no lifting as of yet).

• Like 1

Wooohoooo so this year the Hairy Gorilla Half Marathon is going to be held 10/21/18 which is two weekends before Halloween which means all the parties and such should be held the weekend of 10/27 -28 ; planning race schedules around family life,  the joys of being a runner

• Like 1