• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Strickland5

Scouts Camp 2018 : Welcome to the Jungle

Hey there dear Scouts! Dropping in on behalf of the virtual powerlifting and weightlifting competitions that are beginning soon! We are experimenting with a mentoring program this round to help new folks get involved - it's for anyone interested in doing a strength comp but is unsure of how to go about it, or if they're ready. If that sounds like you, swing by the mini-challenge where we'll be pairing those who are new to the scene lifters with more experienced ones to get them on their way! 

Have a great week awesome nerds!!

• Confused 1

Ran the Beartooth 10K at 10K yesterday. Just like it sounds, it's a 10k race at 10k feet elevation on the Beartooth Pass in Wyoming. 9:55 mile place for a total time of 1:04:16. Got my arse handed to me by a high-schooler who ran it at a 7:03 pace. Obviously after the race, I found him, congratulated him, shook his hand, and then shot him twice in the knees.

• Like 3

Awful things that make you smile, I still remember my legs feeling like they were pumping battery acid.

We/I used to do something  in wrestling practice, we called it "Caboose runs" and in order to make sure that we weren't lollygagging Coach would make it that if you couldn't sprint to the front you had to do a body weight work out until it was down to the last few people or 20 minutes whatever was first. It was easy to knock off the heavy weights, the middle weights required sub 6 pace and then us little guys would set the bar to sub 5. And looking back it's no wonder why I was in great shape to start the track season every year.

• Like 1

Hi everyone! Any fantasy football fans around here? We'd love to have you join our league!

Technically, it is an endurance sport with lots of running... it seems like a good fit! :) 

I found out my annual fall race was cancelled over the weekend.  I have raced every single Cambridge Half Marathon in it's history. Both of them.  Oh well, I guess I'll settle for signing up at the LiveSTRONG at the Y Half Marathon the same weekend.

Actually, it seems like I'm the only person that really liked the course.  Everyone I know who ran it thought it was "weird" and "creepy" because there was a section through some warehouses.  That was the spot with the fun little hill!  It's not like there were workers sitting out cat-calling the runners.  It was just some warehouses on part of the course when no one was even working in them, but I guess if it isn't a riverfront park it just isn't good enough for Cambridge. 

Everyone else went for the after party which was in the second basement of a parking garage, but somehow that's not creepy to them.

I need to add some more races to my schedule myself.  All I have planned is the LiveSTRONG at the Y half in November.  A New Year's half sounds good, but right now we're tightening belts to make up for buying a house so I don't want to register for much, much less something that requires a hotel room in NY.  Maybe I'll do one of the State series half marathons (5 races in 5 states in 5 days - half and full marathons).  There's one on my birthday (5/14) and it's pretty close to my house.  It's on a weekday so it's got to be a smaller race, but it could be really neat to see.

I just realized I totally misspelled throw, I'm going to blame having to proof a document that had the word through at least 500 times; have to love tech documents

I wouldn't travel here for the Hangover Half or even the Winter Marathon, it's laps run around the SUNY Albany campus, so it's actually quite boring, the weather is extremely unpredictable, we can either be buried under snow, 60 degrees or be below zero without factoring in windchill. Honestly if you want to plan a trip to Upstate New York to run an event I would pick the Fall, lot of different events to choose from , weather is normally in the 60's, the fall foliage is beautiful.

Spring is nice, Winter is long and cold, Summer is hot and humid (this entire summer had been on the oppressive end of the scale) Fall the humidity breaks the temps are awesome. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 7:51 AM, Frost of the Gloaming said:

Did you just through the Gauntlet down?

Ha! I'm not dumb enough to throw down with any Scouts on this board. But I do have my eye on a couple of trail runs (a peak-to-peak run in Bozeman in particular) and races around the state when the weather warms up.

Speaking of which, how do you folks from the Great Frozen North (TM) deal with snow in terms of running? I don't mind running in the cold, but the snow & ice is a different story. And we just got our first snowfall of the season this morning...

I haven't tried my micro-spikes yet (I bought some the tail end of last winter) but I will say I'm wholly dissatisfied with Yak Tracks.  I lost one of mine on the second or third run I took with them and spent the rest of the winter just running with short steps carefully.  I know I can't do that this year because I'm out in the country with huge swaths without sidewalks and that gives me little hope for the maintenance of the average pedestrian area.