LadyShello Rangers through 2018 - My Roadmap

LadyShello's 2018 Roadmap

It is that time of year again to take stock of accomplishments and set out some goals for the coming year.  I've recently been looking back, not just over the current year, but my entire NF history and taking stock of my successes and failures.  Ever since discovering the jewel that is NF, my goal has been to lose weight and to become a stronger, better version of who I was.  I started off with great successes, losing 50 pounds in the first 6 months, 24 in the following year.  Success is not linear and I started gaining weight back in 2016, got depressed and continued to gain back 40 pounds. I did start lifting that year and had a few other successes.  I'm sure there is some correlation there but I assure you, I did not see a 40 pound increase in gainz.  2017 was supposed to be the year I turned the tables and got back to where I was.  I was the fittest I had ever been by the end of Nov 15 and that's where I want to be again, but even better.  2017 wasn't quite what I had planned but overall it was pretty successful.  You can see that Roadmap here as well as my review of the year.  I am not any closer to my physical fittest but my mind is in a better place and I at least kept from getting any more UNfit.  With that in mind, I've done some mind mapping and prepared my goals for 2018.  Ranger brain was definitely a factor here so I decided to stick with that theme and embrace it.  

Rangering

This is focused mainly on physical fitness.  Weight certainly plays a role here but I've decided to downplay it and focus more on what I want to be when I grow up.  One of the secrets to my success back in the beginning was focusing on being able to do new things I never thought I would be capable.  Being bitter about weight gain and focusing on that is not helpful.  These goals fit into the following categories. 

• Strength - No brainer.  Work here will likely be from lifting, hammering, and kettlebell work.  My brain still lists this first because I enjoy these activities more, but it isn't necessarily the priority for 2018.  I want to be strong enough to be able to do some heavy carries at a HammerRace.  Progress in this category is pretty easy to gauge.  
  • Cardio - I hate cardio.  But I hate being limited by my lack of cardio endurance even more.  So this is definitely a priority for the year.  I haven't discovered the magic potion for cardio perfection yet but I will work developing a smart cardio plan.  In the meantime, given my complete lack of endurance, I can just focus on getting as much cardio as possible.  It will all likely lead to improvement.  Work will focus on running, rucking, interval work, HIIT, and some rowing.  I want to be able to get up stairs unwinded, run a 5K, and basically not die in a HammerRace.  Progress here will be gauged in time and/or distance as well as personal perception of exertion required for normal tasks.
  • Agility - I am tired of lugging my body around.  It keeps getting in the way and keeps me from being able to do things I want to do.  Weight loss is certainly part of this goal but so are other activities like climbing, yoga, and Shovelglove - basically anything that makes it easier for me to move around.  I want to be able to do that elusive pull up, get to Onederland, and climb over a wall in a HammerRace. I'm not sure how to gauge progress.  Weight will be part of it but it will not be the only source of measurement.  I was thinking I should come up with some workout or set of obstacle tasks to repeat during the year.  More to come on this. 
  • Preparedness - This isn't necessarily a physical fitness goal but it certainly seems rangerly.  I want to be more prepared for anything that happens.  Certainly the apocolypse falls into this category, but so does plenty of other more likely events.  I want to be prepared to defend myself and help defend my family, and also be prepared for basic survival.  I've been teasing about creating a go bag for a couple of years and it just hasn't come together.  I want to do more backpacking with the family so I could be better at starting fires and emergency preparedness.  I also would like to own a handgun at some point, but even if that never happens, I want to be comfortable with one.  I'd like to spend some time at the gun range.  A local one also has some other self defense classes in tandem with shooting skills and learning to care for a weapon.  I want to be prepared with a go bag, have a plan, learn to shoot a gun effectively, and be better at starting a fire. Progress is basically pass/fail. 

Domestic Rangering

This is for all the things in the home that make my life better.  Cooking helps with my other rangering goals and having a tidy and uncluttered home helps my mental state and time management.  

• Cooking - I batch cook most weeks however, I have been getting bored not only with my current list of meals but it's getting tougher to get through the week on the same batch cooked meals.  There are some meals that I just don't make because they aren't compliant and I'm not willing to commit to working around it every day that week but then I find I crave them more.  I can't imagine life without batch cooking but it needs some tweaks to keep life interesting.  I want my compliant meals to be more compliant, have more go to meals for both winter and summer, find ways to incorporate less compliant meals, and also have healthier snacks around for the kids.  I'm not sure how to measure progress here.  Perhaps I just need to try at least 1 new recipe each challenge and keep the successful ones in the rotation.  
  • Home Improvement - We've got a list of home improvement projects that we are hoping to get done this year.  Along with completing these, we are decluttering as we go.  I want to have a uncluttered home, all projects completed, and proper storage for what doesn't get purged.  This is pass/fail. 
  • Tidy - As a family we really struggle to keep the house tidy.  We can clean rooms, put stuff away, and even have some schedules for chore rotations for the kids but we just can't seem to do this all at once.  I've tried FlyLady in the past with limited success.  I really like her philosphy to keeping a tidy house but it seems her routines work better for people who are home more.  I still find I get overwhelmed following her plan.  I think my problem is trying to use her system the way she uses it.  I want to adapt the FlyLady plan to my own needs and schedule in order to have a home that is company ready at all times.  I imagine there will be a lot of failures along the way so progress is measured in continuing to keep this a priority and working on some plan and addressing weaknesses until something works.  Pass/Fail but partail credit allowed. 

Relationship Rangering

This is an ongoing process to be a better me and to be more present with those people important to me. 

• Self - I've started meeting with a counsellor and I'm working on my own negative self talk and my nasty inner critic.  I just need to keep doing this and incorporate some positivity and acceptance into my challenges.  I want to be confident, assertive, recognize and stop negative thought processes, and learn to set emotional boundaries. 
  • Wife - I've also started some couples counselling to work through some issues that keep popping up.  I want to continue therapy, set aside more quality time, develop some shared interests, and work on better communication.  
  • Mother - My job as a mother is ever evolving and I always feel like I am a few chapters behind.  My kids are growing up fast.  Quality time takes more work and so does teaching them values for their own ever evolving worlds.  I want to set aside more quality time with my children, work on more consistent discipline to meet their growing responsibilities, and develop some house rules for more structure. 

Financial Rangering

This is an extension from my 2017 goal to improve finances.  We started using YNAB and I now have an entire year's worth of spending data.  Even though the goal was for 2017 to be a year of austerity and we did cut some spending we still overspent a lot.  Now we have better data and a better budget so the goal now is to stick to it.  

• Budget - I haven't been getting the fullest potential from YNAB.  I am still chasing money and covering my overspending instead of using the data to spend what I already have.  This requires either entering spending in immediately or checking into the app regularly and ensuring that we have the right data to know what we have to spend.  I want to be smarter about spending for a more financially secure present. 
  • Savings - We are only 4 years away from sending our first kid to college.  We have some money set aside but nowhere near enough.  We've developed a plan but we have trouble sticking to it when we overspend.  We are also really good at taking money from savings to cover overspending and this needs to be reversed.  I want to replenish the savings account and stick to our college savings plan for a more financially secure future. 

• Like 11

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

12 minutes ago, deftona said:

Oooh I like your plans :D 

Here to cheer! 

tenor.gif?itemid=5635481

Woohoo. 2018 is going to be a great year!

1 minute ago, Bearlee said:

I was almost first but see that Deftona got here first. Noticed see was first with your 2017 roadmap. You two must have a psychic link. Great goals and some ideas I may steal, mainly making a road map. I’ll be rooting for you in 2018.

We're transatlantic twins.  I really like making these roadmaps.  It helps to see the bigger picture and keep me on course. . . even when I fail. 

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Here to cheer you on! <3

I like it how you've written out your goals clearly! You have a lot to accomplish in 2018, but if someone can do it, it's you ;) If you want, we could co-op with the positive self-talk goal at some point? Not sure how, but having the same goal with someone else could offer some accountability and support!

• Like 1

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

20 minutes ago, Ensi said:

Here to cheer you on! <3

I like it how you've written out your goals clearly! You have a lot to accomplish in 2018, but if someone can do it, it's you ;) If you want, we could co-op with the positive self-talk goal at some point? Not sure how, but having the same goal with someone else could offer some accountability and support!

Are they clear?  I've been ruminating on them all month and they don't particularly feel that clear. . .   

Co-op positive self talk sounds like a great idea!  :) 

• Like 2

Nice roadmap! Let's all do awesome things in 2018.

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

8 hours ago, LadyShello said:

Are they clear?  I've been ruminating on them all month and they don't particularly feel that clear. . .   

The goals highlighted in blue are a good starting point for SMART goals, I think :P Sure, there are a lot of details to map out (that's what the challenges are for!), but at least you have a general direction where you're going...! Happy to co-op with you at some point :D

• Like 1

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

22 hours ago, LadyShello said:

yes. whats missing is to paint the specific goals of how each of those are to be acheived.  You've done this in spots; but in other spots its a little... undefined.

Have patience with yourself.  your doing great!

and you can lay out all the details in the monthly challenges and work on progress.  

another thing you might consider doing is prioritizing your list some.  they are all things you would like to improve; but to improve on EVERYTHING at once is to become overwhelmed.

like I said; very good Roadmap. I do like it.

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

another thing you might consider doing is prioritizing your list some.  they are all things you would like to improve; but to improve on EVERYTHING at once is to become overwhelmed.

RangerBrain at its finest. I was a bit more specific on the last roadmap but then things change during the year and I might find other, better ways. The roadmap is all about the destination; the challenges are all about the journey. I do still have some undefined ideas about some of the 'hows' but I can use the challenges to experiment to see what works best.

Thanks for your input. It's appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

On 12/21/2017 at 8:28 PM, Snarkyfishguts said:

you always inspire me. No matter how rough things are, your determination pulls you through and pushes you forward. I can't wait to see you kick butt this year!

Awww, that's very nice of you to say.  I don't always think it's true but hearing it makes me want make it true.  <Eleventy

• Like 1

Your plans are great -- specially the cardio. That's hilarious. You know, not-dying and such is also my cardio endgame. I want to be able to climb up our local mountain without wheezing and dramatically shrieking "you all go on without me! I WILL JUST DIE HERE!" 

I had no idea who FlyLady was until just now. I had to look it up. "(a Load a Day Keeps CHAOS Away)"? SHE DOES DAILY LAUNDRY? How big is her family? 

Following, obviously!

• Like 2
On 12/20/2017 at 11:41 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Nice roadmap! Let's all do awesome things in 2018.

Thanks!  Yes, 2018 will be a year full of awesome things.  I declare it so. 

On 12/21/2017 at 8:40 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

They're clear, but they need more sledgehammer.

it's all that bloody cardio getting in the way. 

1 hour ago, Super Starling! said:

Your plans are great -- specially the cardio. That's hilarious. You know, not-dying and such is also my cardio endgame. I want to be able to climb up our local mountain without wheezing and dramatically shrieking "you all go on without me! I WILL JUST DIE HERE!" 

I had no idea who FlyLady was until just now. I had to look it up. "(a Load a Day Keeps CHAOS Away)"? SHE DOES DAILY LAUNDRY? How big is her family? 

Following, obviously!

HaHa.  My household probably has enough laundry for everyday.  I have an excess of laundry and a shortage of time.  I would think she has the opposite.  

2018 will be the year we don't die!  

7 minutes ago, Korranation said:

Loving your goals and following along!!
444b0896c74750c48786c7438b6936a6.jpg

Awesome!  Thanks. 

• Like 2

January Check-In

Month one complete!  I'm mostly pleased with how this month has turned out.  I can't make progress on every aspect each month but I made progress in some key areas.  

Rangering

• Strength - I have made no progress on this.  In fact, I've probably lost some strenght.  I took a break from lifting due to a neck issue.  It's mostly cleared up but still not completely back to normal.  
  • Cardio - I'm not sure I can say that I've seen any improvement yet but I got in 11 cardio sessions this year.  I still don't hate cardio any less but it is becoming routine and I don't plan on letting go of that habit.  
  • Agility - Weight loss isn't the only goal but I lost 6.8 pounds in January and am now back to my pre-Christmas weight and only a few pounds away from my pre-entire holiday season weight.  I never got around to taking any measurements in January so I don't have any recorded progress there.  I will take measurements for February. 
  • Preparedness - No progress

Domestic Rangering

• Cooking - I tried 3 new compliant meals durnig January.  I already can't remember what they were so I'm not sure they'll be in my regular rotation.  Perhaps I need to keep a log of this.  
  • Home Improvement - This is still progressing.  We have most of the flooring done and are in the process of putting the rooms back together.  It is starting to feel less cluttered too so I'd really like to keep it that way.  
  • Tidy - No Progress

Relationship Rangering

Related image

That is all

• Self 
  • Wife - 
  • Mother 

Financial Rangering

• Budget - Though we did not manage to stick to the budget, I did do regular check ups on the budget and made some serious attempts to keep our usual spending in check.  We have had some unexpected expenses.   Using YNAB regularly to log expenses is becoming habit again so I'm off to a good start.  
  • Savings - I didn't have anything extra to put away into savings but I didn't have to take anything out... at least not yet. 

• Like 7

February Check-In

February felt like the longest month in history.  I am glad it's over.  I did not have the best month and I had to alter my challenge goals along the way.  However, I am actually pleased with my results for the month.  I didn't make progress on as many goals, but I feel like I made up for it by making loads of progress in less areas.  

Rangering

• Strength - I still have made no progress here.  My workouts have been solely focused on cardio so far this year.  As a matter of fact, I've put my fancy gym membership on hold.  I've had some circumstances change (see below) that will make it too difficult to afford this for the time being.  
  • Cardio - I most definitely did not make any improvement this month; I've probably back slid a bit even.  But it is still a priority.  With the weather warming up I am hoping to be able to get outside and at least get a walk in more often.  
  • Agility - I haven't climbed any walls this month but I did attempt some wall stands, once, and the kids showed me up.  But it was fun.  I didn't manage to lose any weight this month, I just barely managed to break even.  But considering everything going on during the month I am very proud of maintaining. My campaign to not eat my feelings, despite some lost battles, was an overall success so far.  I did take measurements and they show a loss of 1.75 inches.  I'm not sure I trust it since I wasn't doing any weight training and I didn't lose any weight.  My guess is it's a combination of the margin of error and measuring in slightly different places.  But I'll consider it a loss if I continue to see improvement into next month.  
  • Preparedness - No progress

Domestic Rangering

• Cooking - I didn't make any progress here but I maintained where I was at.  I didn't have any goals aimed at this particularly this month.   
  • Home Improvement - No progress was made on this goal either due to the same circumstances that got in the way of many other goals.  All home improvement projects have been stalled.  
  • Tidy - I did take some time to modify the traditional FlyLady plan and modified it to better suit my schedule and my lifestyle.  It consists of a few daily chores that will make a bigger impact on my lifestyle, my own weekly cleaning routine, and then my own version of the detailed cleaning lists per room/area.  I am following FlyLady's zones and the basic structure.  I plan to give it a try in March and then re-evaluate.  

Relationship Rangering

Last month I couldn't even report on this because I was in such a place of limbo.   I haven't shared any of it publicly until now but I'm sure many of you were able to read between the lines and could maybe surmise what was going on.  I had a lot of things going on emotionally both privately and in my marriage.  I have alluded in previous challenges to some marital counseling but things really escalated as 2018 started.  I survived a month of inner turmoil and then another month of marital turmoil.  As it stands now, my husband and I have decided to divorce and go our separate ways.  There is a lot left to be figured out and I'm sure there is more turmoil to be tackled in the next few months. I really appreciate all the support I've received from people, including those that were supporting me directly knowing what was going on, and those of you who are just generally supportive and didn't know what I was going through.  You guys are all such amazing people and I'm extremely grateful to have found this community.

• Self - I made A TON of progress this month on my relationship with myself.  I have always been hard on myself but I realized I have been carrying huge amounts of guilt and blaming myself for things that weren't my fault.  I still struggle with these issues but I am now much more aware of them and how they impact me on a daily basis and in my relationships with others.  
  • Wife - I also realized this entire goal was based on the misconception that I should be doing something better.  That's not what was wrong in the first place.  As we are initiating a divorce, this goal is no longer relevant.  I'll keep it on the books as I have to keep things amicable as we progress through this next stage.    
  • Mother - There has been a little bit of progress here.  We did have a family meeting and clarified some house rules and some chore expectations.  Not much was new although I needed to do a better job of holding the kids accountable.  

Financial Rangering

• Budget - I did a most excellent job of maintaing my budget records...
  • Savings - but a terrible job of spending.  We had a few big unexpected items so I had to take another chunk from savings.  This goal will become more important as I move through the year as I transition from a two income household to one income.  
  • Like 2

You've done amazingly well to maintain and keep your goals ticking over in really difficult circumstances. I envy your strength and courage and you're one of my favourite people in the whole world. I'm sorry you're going through this and hope you know I am here for you any hour of the day if you need me. 

I hope March is easier <4 

• Like 1

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten