Hunters Gonna Ranger: The Find-The-Bastard-Who-Stole-The-Hype Mini Challenge

Stribs blinked as the sun glared into her eyes, pulling her from her sleep.  What, no!  The sun! She rubbed her eyes looking all around her for the few she had camped with the previous night before realizing she was not even in the same clearing where they had made camp.  A shiver went up her spine, and when she touched the ground it was cold to the touch and little flecks of ice stuck to her fingers.  

"Damn those Jotuns," she whispered to the emptiness around her.  She struck the ground with her fist.  She had felt that she and the others were on their trail, but they must have felt her too, and now she was alone and lost off the path.  She stood up and looked at her surroundings, swallowing the anxiety that had made it's home in the back of her mind for so long, and closed her eyes to enter the quiet of her mind.   

A chill ran up her left arm and clung in the air.  She opened her eyes and stared down the unbeaten path that beckoned to her.  The chill clung to her as she stepped in what she assumed was the right direction, and again, she stomped down her anxiety quietly repeating the phrase, "Rangers Adapt."

Soooo, long story short, we lost power so my alarm didn't go off yesterday, causing me to miss the gym and my last bootcamp class (I blame the Jotuns, obviously). BUT there is a kettlebell class that always gets my heart racing like crazy, and I may even go for a short run afterwards to catch up to the group and get myself back on the trail.

• Like 8

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

With the scent of prey filling their nostrils the Rangers shot away to reclaim the hype and make the Jotuns pay. As night approached they realized they would need rest, and chose to do so when signs would be easy to miss in the dark. Already they felt they were overtaking the thieves. Preparing dinner led to a comparison of impressions from their search the week before.

It became apparent the signs the followed had been hard to miss, and they started a bit away from the Guild Hall. Someone would have surely noticed a Frost Giant in the environs of the Guild Hall. They must have had an accomplice, or more than one. The next day they kept on, noticing the cold, while still around, wasn't as otherworldly as it had been while looking for a trail. Perhaps the Jotuns were overconfident about the frost covering their tracks and had underestimated the Rangers' abilities. 

As the week wore on the trail sign got fresher. They could tell they were getting close when they found someone coming their direction down the path the Jotun's had blazed. The Rangers melted into the forest without a single command. The lone figure kept walking until stopping right in the midst of the hidden Rangers. Seeming to look each one in the eye, he waited till someone let out a gasp of Recognition, then quickly the figure was swamped with old and new friends.

@Rurik Harrgath had returned.

Recovering ever since his capture by Loki the year before, he had finally been making his way back to the Guild Hall when he sensed the Jotun's raiding party bearing down on him. Seeing without being seen, he confirmed they were heading the other direction with the Hype. He told of a valley along the Jotun's path where an ambush might be set. Taking a moment to confer, the Rangers agreed to follow him on a path that would let them get to the valley ahead of the Jotun's and prepare their attack.

Let's prepare that ambush. Do your strength feat in week 3.

• Like 16

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Great storytelling as always, Tank! And great to see @Rurik Harrgath making a reapparance! 

• Like 2

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge: The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Volume I: Courage

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27

After a bit of a slow start, Bker final finds his stride and manages to catch up with the rest of the Rangers just in time to follow Rurik to the ambush site.

Got a second set of sprint intervals done, this time at much higher intensity.

1:30 at 4.5 mph, 0:30 at 7.0 mph (x5) followed by 3:00 cooldown for a total of 1.05 miles in 13:00.

• Like 6

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |

It is currently 9pm on Saturday night and I am just over 2k steps short of my goal. Since I have made it every other day this week, I'm not letting today get away from me, even if I'm having some trouble breathing due to all the house cleaning/stuff sorting we did today. Looks like I'm going to be watching another episode of Troll Hunter before I go to bed. :) I'm calling my feat done, because I will do it, but I'm not posting again before I go to sleep.

• Like 2

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

The lack of hype was beginning to tell on the petite Ranger with the bold mouth ... beginning at first as one of the scouts who broke trail through the snow and sent back word of signs, her pace grew weaker and slower as the week went on, and by the seventh day, she could barely move her feet through the ice-crusted drifts. When offered help, she stubbornly refused, wrapping her cloak tighter around her shoulders and forging on. "I must keep going," she could be heard whispering to herself over and over. "Just keep going. Don't stop. One step instead of none. One more minute."

The commotion up ahead made her peek out from under heavy lids - which quickly widened when her eyes fell on the rugged form of @Rurik Harrgath, back from his long wanderings. Here, at last, was hope - a small fire kindled in her pale, tired face and she hurried forward to join the glad throng of Rangers asking questions and exchanging welcomes. Perhaps, if they could construct the ambush and catch the Jotun hype thief, her vitality would be restored. She thrust her hands out of her sleeves and shouldered two armloads of brush. Soon the hype would be recaptured, and sunlight and energy would fill the Corps once more.

This week has been a week of small steps and just scraping by, but I did do my speed feat tonight - 188 mountain climbers in 2 minutes. I was hoping for 200, but I had to stop and rest a couple of times.  :) 

Originally, my strength feat for this week was ten full-body push-ups, four times a week; but I've already leveled up to 2 or 3 sets of 10 pushups a day for the last week, so I'm changing it to:

Strength: Add 5 pushups to each set of 10 daily

So instead of 10 pushups a day, then I'll do 15 ... if I do 20 pushups a day, it'll actually be 30.

Let's get this ambush built. We need our hype back!!

• Like 9

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2022 Books in Progress:

When Strivings Cease  |  Happiness Workbook The Gifts of Imperfection  |  Mistborn  |

Yasha scraped and scrubbed armour and shields. She honed blades and oiled handles. She wasn’t the best tracker, so she would await the signal that the trail had been found before joining up with the others to dole out wrath and retribution for the stolen hype. Swish. Swish. The rasp of whetstone on blade made a methodical backing to the wordless tune she was humming. It was one that foretold of doom forthcoming for thieves.

The message came born in the mind of a talking raven. The trail was hot, she would have to join the others swiftly, bringing spare weapons and armaments. The raven tried to give additional information, but it struggled with the words through its’ excitement.

The others had found something important on the trail. She had to hurry.

[Speed feat- cleaning done. 1 power-hour of cleaning, dishwasher run every other day and as a bonus: currently in the midst of shampooing the carpet]

The handcart was not the ideal way to transport the arms and armour she needed to bear, but it was the one available to her at shortest notice. She loaded it up and tied it down so no clanking or chinking of metal on metal would betray her. With a speedy addition of strappings, she was able to draw the cart from her shoulders.

She felt a kinship with the common beasts of burden as she set her mind and her back to the task.  

[Strength feat- no excessive spending. At the end of the week I will report here what was spent on what and all may judge me if I have strayed from my path].

• Like 4

After a slightly disastrous second week I have not managed to get my speed feat done. If anything I was trying to slow my pace and not burn myself out...

My strength feat, on the other hand, should be manageable, so let's see how this goes!

• Like 3

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Only got 2 speed feats done.  Feels happened, bad ones & junk and it was like walking in concrete shoes.  So the dunwannas got me mid-week, but I’m currently trying to beat them off with a stick.

• Like 4

Level -20 Zombie Princess

"The only way to lose is to give up."

-Tanktimus the Encourager

"You can't beat someone that refuses to give up."

-Björn Járnhamar

Spoiler

My strength feat is doing my body weight program 3 times a week, but this might fall smack dab in the middle of my time of the month, so if that happens I'll change some of the exercises. I also feel really fatigued this week so this will be an extra challenge.

• Like 2

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

My strength feat was supposed to be going to the gym, but I just remembered we canceled the membership in preparation for moving. Today is the last day we could use it, and I will not be making it to the gym today. I don't have anywhere else I can go lift (this week, anyway), so I need to change my feat.

Uh...

Guess I'll make it following my regular workout plan, no missed days allowed? Sure, let's go with that. Unless I come up with something better later.

Edit:That plan won't work either. New plan is do a workout, either derby practice or per my plan, every day this week. Not going to have time to derby and other workout and work on house stuff, which I would have to do a couple days this week if I stuck with my original plan B.

• Like 2

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

EaseActivate emerges from the woods after a week of being absent. She is out of breath, but running, struggling to catch up to the group. 

Guys! <gasp> I know I'm late <gasp>, but I finished my Speed Feat today! <gasp> And I did <gasp> the first half of it last Monday! <gasp> It's done! 

She looks around and sees everyone hard at work, using all of their strength on the important preparations for the ambush. A few nod to acknowledge her, but they quickly turn their attentions back to their labors, because their work requires all of their focus. Her shoulders slump, realizing that so much more work is ahead. She longs for the days when the Hype made this all so much easier. Then she remembers: this is for the Hype. She takes a deep breath, throws her shoulders back, and grabs hold of a heavy object on the ground, knowing it is not yet time to rest. 

Strength Feat: Adding dumbbell bicep curls to each workout. I'm on it. Let's go. 

• Like 7

"First you decide what you've gotta do, and then you go out and do it. And maybe the most that we can do is just to see each other through it." -Ani Difranco

Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Jeepers, they don't call this a challenge for no reason! Getting 4 lifting sessions in during my busiest week of 2018 yet is going to be a challenge, but Rangers don't make excuses, they do things. Bring it on!

• Like 4

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

what was the video game called, where you can (before embarking on a feat) stand on a stump and take off clothes or something for extra reputation when you achieve (IF you achieve it).

Fable! yes that was it

220px-Fablebox.jpg

I'm going to try to do an even HARDER strength workout than what I first propose.

I Just KNOW I can get 2 plates deadlifted!  my PR, though, is 205...

so I put on my ranger face Tomorrow morning and after a good proper Typical Day1 workout- I'll DL a Full two Plates!  (225#)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

IN!

FEATS:

Strength Feat: Add an extra set to each lift that week

Speed Feat: Complete Darebee Boxer Prime speed day 2x that week

Distance Feat: Run 2 miles, slowing to a walk when absolutely necessary, and only for as long as absolutely necessary

Combat Feat: Complete Darebee Kicks and punches workouts for that week of the month

Rangerly Outdoorsy Feat: spend 30+ minutes running/walking/otherwise moving through the untamed desert areas that pepper my hometown

• Like 2

Life is full of hard times and good times. Learn from everything you can.

Swinging_Jarnbjorn: Lv 1 Asgardian Ranger

Focus Up! My current challenge.

Loss As A Motivator

20 hours ago, TGP said:

what was the video game called, where you can (before embarking on a feat) stand on a stump and take off clothes or something for extra reputation when you achieve (IF you achieve it).

Fable! yes that was it

220px-Fablebox.jpg

I'm going to try to do an even HARDER strength workout than what I first propose.

I Just KNOW I can get 2 plates deadlifted!  my PR, though, is 205...

so I put on my ranger face Tomorrow morning and after a good proper Typical Day1 workout- I'll DL a Full two Plates!  (225#)

so...

2Plates! 225#  I did it! Woot!

500x_combat_and_leveling_up__2_.jpg

Man that is a LOT of weight!  but yet.  I see guy lifting twice that much.  that's why their arms can be mistaken for tree trunks. lol.

unhappily for me; even at the top  of my form.-I'm STILL a little scrawny.  LOL

Oh well.  not everyone can be massive.  and all these new muscles ARE handy...

• Like 3

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

So... I messed up my strength feat already. By getting up at bloody 2 pm today, which meant I have no time to exercise. Tomorrow is no good because I won't be able to shower, and I can't do the circuits back to back. Fuck. Most of my frustration comes from the fact I struggle a lot with being able to get the heck up early just because I want to, and that sleeping in actually makes me feel like shit psychically - so it's not that I'm fighting my rhythm or something.

3 hours ago, TGP said:

unhappily for me; even at the top  of my form.-I'm STILL a little scrawny.  LOL

On one side this sucks, but on the other, you get to see jaws drop on the floor whenever you lift something heavy that people don't think you can lift - happens to me a lot, and I'm not nearly as strong as you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

On 1/1/2018 at 3:42 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Strength Feat: 100 pushups, 50 burpees, 700 KB swings, 10 minutes scapular deadhang

This may be a little ambitious given that I'm fighting the plague. TBD.

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

3 hours ago, TGP said:

scapular deadhang

thats seems hardcore.

I can't even get much info on it with a google search.  something like a pullup- held with your shoulders shrugged?

Not quite that hardcore! :P Deadhangs are just hanging from a pullup bar to practice your grip strength. Scapular pulls are an exercise where you engage your shoulders, like this:

So a scapular deadhang is just holding that scapular pull position while you hang from the bar.

• Like 4

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 49

2022 challenges:  49 (current)

2015-2021 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | | 46 | 4748 ||

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

I had forgotten about the mini, but I will do my part in setting up the ambush.  10/100 negative pushups done, only 90 more to go...

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman