Hunters Gonna Ranger: The Find-The-Bastard-Who-Stole-The-Hype Mini Challenge

You are all doing so well. Your hard work is about to pay off. I'm so proud of each of you and proud to be a Ranger.

Sra. Tanque and I went for a walk yesterday on a trail, getting off down into the creek bed looking for tracks. We found several deer and squirrels, but they were less than forthcoming with any information, if they had any in the first place.

• Like 12

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2/3rds of the way through. No sign of the thief could be found in the dark. I think it's time to switch tactics, and pursue this thief in the daylight!

• Like 2

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn

Epic Quest: In the Footsteps of the Dúnedain: Aragorn's Journey

Current Challenge: The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Volume I: Courage

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27

Yesterday I did some recognisance and checked with my contacts (read went out with my best friend to catch up, which counts because I don't do it nearly enough - maybe once a month). Today I will drag water home, so that will be a workout. And then my ranger feat is done!

• Like 3

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

Hey Guys! I got a big adventure (only a small bit  of which is fictional) and a Hot lead on the missing hype...

So, Last night was geared up around 9pm on my way to my favorite fishing spot and near the infamous Dutchmen Run Watershed.  when coming across a narrow place with snow Drifting across the Icy Road; A Huge black form, 10' Tall leaped over the 4 foot snowbank and headed into the Brush on the other side.  Shocked and Startled I lost momentary control of the car and it swung into the snowbank.

Holy Crap!  A "Yeti"!  huge sparse athletic foot prints faded into the icy blackness.

Spoiler

this was IRL.  except for the part about a yeti/bigfoot.

what happened was that I met another car on a narrow road; further narrowed in the blurring snow and briefly got stuck in a snowdrift.

but first my car!  think gosh I have a subaru; but even so the task wasn't  Easy.  I rocked back and forth and then with a little more help from a shovel I was able to get out of the deep snowdrift.  Happily there was no damage.

NOW, whether it had our Hype or not- I was totally going to pursue it.  a few feet aways and after a short turn was the turn around for entrance into the wilderness.  I dressed up and prepared; swiftly as I could to follow those might tracks...

--------

the Gibbous moon smiled weakly through a murkish cloudbank on the WEst sprawl of a New England Nor'Easter.  but the beast knew this area well and headed for the thickest brush of the area... soon my headlight was needed as I walked carefully and stealthily through a thickening forest. 

Spoiler

Lumbering makes Such a mess of the forest!

the Beast must come in here often for I saw abundant signs of his massive strength and epic rage.  why did I not pack Heat on these kinds of trips?!  oh well, I could yell like crazy and hope that He startles as well.

After a good ways of wandering I was starting to get a bit concerned.  walking about these tangles I was starting to get a bit buzzy.  Happily I had the wit to have brought my Oracle (the G-P-S) and to have had it mark the location of my car.  I didn't understand though... its markings.  they made no sense.  they showed two lines about the valley as if they were roads.   but behind me the twisting trail showed no sign of a road.  in front of me there was a bit of a gully and no sense of road there-neither.    and worse; the terrain had gotten steadily worse requring great feats of parkour tricks to make any progress against the clasping, stiff, snow coated limbs of mighty ripped down trees.

Spoiler

before you judge; spin yourself around many times, jumping logs and THEN see how well you can navigate in a dark tricky terrain

Thank goodness for the GPS...

walking forward; I had no option but to head to what was said to be the closest road. and there awaited a huge challenge: a mighty steep, yet not quite shear, gully wall: with many clinging trees on it; buried under snow and ice.  

Happily I did find a road beyond THAT nearly unendurable climb.  the path was grew pleasant and level.   further still a cut in the woods to the other side of the stream where hopefully a more familiar road lay.  I cut down the long strait path; which was I gas a "natural gas" pipeline.  I was kind of hoping for more a glipse of potential Yeti-habitat.  but my heart sank at their appearance.  the Thick droves of Hemlock blocked the Wavering moonlight like a  thick curtain and Nothing could be guessed about the shadows.

About the stream and up a short ways... was, in fact the familiar road; with me and my sons footprints (from our New Years day walk) still visible. perhaps in a little bit I could get up a bit in the valley and use some more terrain I knew of to look for other Yeti's, Yeti prints or further signs of the beasts.  the Walking was nice but the Air was very Cold.  I had to drink all the rest of my water cuz despite being in an pocket it was freezing.  this path was a little too flat chill for me; Espacially after the mountains of Heat i'd created getting near lost in the brush.

there the turn beckons

-----

and out I burst out of woods.  this place needs some describing as it was stunning and striking.  after beating through the brush; I stumble upon one of the More larger Electric Lines that connect the Hydroplant beneath a large reservoir to the outside world.  these lines sit in a huge swath of tall grass that are perhaps 50 yards wide but Go for many long miles. the wire crosses penpandicular to the stream and show the whole valley from the brow of one hill to the brow of another.  and near the top in front of me; the gibbous moon has climbed out of the forest and cleared all of the clouds.  its beams with its full force with a stricking view of the stars of Orion and a wide sweep of  the wind; which liberated from the tangles of the forest eaves gust into my face seeming to check my very breath.

It was beautiful beyond belief and I felt my Hype so Rising within me I had no care anymore for Yetis.  fueled with the moon as If I was vamp I raced upon the clumpish grass for a road my oracle said would be there.  Nay.  Even quite a fair and difficult walk along the long gentle slope (and past the marked location) I could make no sign of it.  Perhaps the Yeti's removed it?

I returned to the familiar road and climbed out of the valley for a sense of finality.  After a bit I had warmed up and come to the edge of me and my sons new years walk.  the moon was my constant companion back to the car and I hussled the best I could. it was late.

sorry for that long tale.

Please consider coming to the woods of PA.  I think Yeti's have taken the hype (or whatever).. but I know now that we have the ability to generate hype and great adventure on our own. (if we try).

I have no pics to offer ( I intend to go get them over the weekend)... but lest you think the Yeti/bigfoot thing is a fantasy-- we've very proud regionally of having recent photographic proof of them.

this pic was taken not 30 miles from where I walked and went viral in 2015/6.

hqdefault.jpg

I personally found this exact spot.  it wasn't THAT convincing but .. maybe?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

31 minutes ago, TGP said:

Hey Guys! I got a big adventure (only a small bit  of which is fictional) and a Hot lead on the missing hype...

So, Last night was geared up around 9pm on my way to my favorite fishing spot and near the infamous Dutchmen Run Watershed.  when coming across a narrow place with snow Drifting across the Icy Road; A Huge black form, 10' Tall leaped over the 4 foot snowbank and headed into the Brush on the other side.  Shocked and Startled I lost momentary control of the car and it swung into the snowbank.

Holy Crap!  A "Yeti"!  huge sparse athletic foot prints faded into the icy blackness.

Reveal hidden contents

this was IRL.  except for the part about a yeti/bigfoot.

what happened was that I met another car on a narrow road; further narrowed in the blurring snow and briefly got stuck in a snowdrift.

but first my car!  think gosh I have a subaru; but even so the task wasn't  Easy.  I rocked back and forth and then with a little more help from a shovel I was able to get out of the deep snowdrift.  Happily there was no damage.

NOW, whether it had our Hype or not- I was totally going to pursue it.  a few feet aways and after a short turn was the turn around for entrance into the wilderness.  I dressed up and prepared; swiftly as I could to follow those might tracks...

--------

the Gibbous moon smiled weakly through a murkish cloudbank on the WEst sprawl of a New England Nor'Easter.  but the beast knew this area well and headed for the thickest brush of the area... soon my headlight was needed as I walked carefully and stealthily through a thickening forest. 

Hide contents

Lumbering makes Such a mess of the forest!

the Beast must come in here often for I saw abundant signs of his massive strength and epic rage.  why did I not pack Heat on these kinds of trips?!  oh well, I could yell like crazy and hope that He startles as well.

After a good ways of wandering I was starting to get a bit concerned.  walking about these tangles I was starting to get a bit buzzy.  Happily I had the wit to have brought my Oracle (the G-P-S) and to have had it mark the location of my car.  I didn't understand though... its markings.  they made no sense.  they showed two lines about the valley as if they were roads.   but behind me the twisting trail showed no sign of a road.  in front of me there was a bit of a gully and no sense of road there-neither.    and worse; the terrain had gotten steadily worse requring great feats of parkour tricks to make any progress against the clasping, stiff, snow coated limbs of mighty ripped down trees.

Hide contents

before you judge; spin yourself around many times, jumping logs and THEN see how well you can navigate in a dark tricky terrain

Thank goodness for the GPS...

walking forward; I had no option but to head to what was said to be the closest road. and there awaited a huge challenge: a mighty steep, yet not quite shear, gully wall: with many clinging trees on it; buried under snow and ice.  

Happily I did find a road beyond THAT nearly unendurable climb.  the path was grew pleasant and level.   further still a cut in the woods to the other side of the stream where hopefully a more familiar road lay.  I cut down the long strait path; which was I gas a "natural gas" pipeline.  I was kind of hoping for more a glipse of potential Yeti-habitat.  but my heart sank at their appearance.  the Thick droves of Hemlock blocked the Wavering moonlight like a  thick curtain and Nothing could be guessed about the shadows.

About the stream and up a short ways... was, in fact the familiar road; with me and my sons footprints (from our New Years day walk) still visible. perhaps in a little bit I could get up a bit in the valley and use some more terrain I knew of to look for other Yeti's, Yeti prints or further signs of the beasts.  the Walking was nice but the Air was very Cold.  I had to drink all the rest of my water cuz despite being in an pocket it was freezing.  this path was a little too flat chill for me; Espacially after the mountains of Heat i'd created getting near lost in the brush.

there the turn beckons

-----

and out I burst out of woods.  this place needs some describing as it was stunning and striking.  after beating through the brush; I stumble upon one of the More larger Electric Lines that connect the Hydroplant beneath a large reservoir to the outside world.  these lines sit in a huge swath of tall grass that are perhaps 50 yards wide but Go for many long miles. the wire crosses penpandicular to the stream and show the whole valley from the brow of one hill to the brow of another.  and near the top in front of me; the gibbous moon has climbed out of the forest and cleared all of the clouds.  its beams with its full force with a stricking view of the stars of Orion and a wide sweep of  the wind; which liberated from the tangles of the forest eaves gust into my face seeming to check my very breath.

It was beautiful beyond belief and I felt my Hype so Rising within me I had no care anymore for Yetis.  fueled with the moon as If I was vamp I raced upon the clumpish grass for a road my oracle said would be there.  Nay.  Even quite a fair and difficult walk along the long gentle slope (and past the marked location) I could make no sign of it.  Perhaps the Yeti's removed it?

I returned to the familiar road and climbed out of the valley for a sense of finality.  After a bit I had warmed up and come to the edge of me and my sons new years walk.  the moon was my constant companion back to the car and I hussled the best I could. it was late.

sorry for that long tale.

Please consider coming to the woods of PA.  I think Yeti's have taken the hype (or whatever).. but I know now that we have the ability to generate hype and great adventure on our own. (if we try).

I have no pics to offer ( I intend to go get them over the weekend)... but lest you think the Yeti/bigfoot thing is a fantasy-- we've very proud regionally of having recent photographic proof of them.

this pic was taken not 30 miles from where I walked and went viral in 2015/6.

hqdefault.jpg

I personally found this exact spot.  it wasn't THAT convincing but .. maybe?

What an adventure! Too bad you weren't able to capture the Yeti.;) Glad you were able to Ranger through and make it home safe though. 

• Like 2

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

1*i-2gv752ydijLZbSMBOCDQ.jpeg

popped into my head.  just keep in mind...

lets get not Too distracted folks! [emoji4]

PS. I do give you full credit for doing that walk at night.  so might I!  we'll see...
Heh.. night starts at 4pm these days.. It's hard not to

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Aminarra, level 2 Ranger

Main Quest: Stay Focused!

No, YOU'RE awesome.

Battle Log | Current Challenge

STR 2|DEX 1|STA 2|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 4

Tree is hacked down.  Most of the branches I could just snap off with my hands.  Dug up the roots to expose them to the cold in hopes of killing them off so i dont have to dig up my whole back yard.  

Gross bug under spoiler

Spoiler

One of the bugs that killed my tree.

• Like 6

Better late than never! I loaded the post with gifs as retribution. We're going to hunt that hype thief down!

Strength Feat:

pumping.gif

Strength of will – no spending week. Essentials only, packed lunches, no eating out etc.

Speed Feat:

mary-poppins-cleaning.gif

Do the ‘power hour’ clean of the house some time in the week, plus a speedy 5min pickup the other days.

Distance Feat:

tumblr_mij7vlQT2P1qghkx5o3_250.gif

Walk to work thrice. If it’s too hot guess what? You do it in the dark.

Combat Feat:

JovialBoilingGnat.gif

Do not skip Krav Magar. If for whatever reason it is not on that week (I'm looking at you, Australia Day), pay a single fee to do a cardio boxing session at one of the local gyms.

Outdoors Rangerly Feat:

BuddhaMed2.gif

Outdoors ‘grounding’ meditation 2x in the week.

• Like 8
19 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Did you find it after all that?

And snowshoeing is always a fun option when you have deep snow. :) 

Sadly, no. It had gotten itself off the road and into a bushy/foresty area. I saw where in went down into the ditch and followed it trail for a bit, but once I got into the trees there were deer and coyote tracks literally everywhere. I feel like Mantracker could have followed the trail, but my tracking skills aren't quite that good, and the area was at the edge of a 8 hectare forested park in my city, so once it gets in there it's nearly impossible to find. Not the first time I've lost an injured deer in that park, sadly.

I love snowshoeing, but don't actually own a pair. I feel like this makes me a bad Canadian, but they're not cheap and I've got no one to go with me regularly, I'm the only person I know who likes winter, so I haven't been able to justify the cost yet. If I ever make a friend who likes winter too, I would happily pay for a pair knowing I'd use them regularly, but alas, that day has not yet come...

• Like 2

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Third straight day of walking for at least 10 minutes outside (today I actually wore two pairs of pants and two shirts so I didn't nearly die, which was nice!), and I've seen lots of weird tracks, but none of them seem closely related to the thief.  :( 

Unless the set of tracks that led up to the manger scene at the church down the street - but did not have a corresponding set coming back out - counts?

No pics because my phone is too full ...

• Like 5

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2022 Books in Progress:

When Strivings Cease  |  Happiness Workbook The Gifts of Imperfection  |  Mistborn  |

Yasha took the time to hone her mind before hunting the hype-thief. She delved deep into her unconscious self to sort through the truth and the lies. She was ready to start seeking this thief. They would not get away.

Outdoors Feat (grounding meditation x2) complete! One grounding done in the botanic gardens and one on the beach. No sign of the hype thief in either location, but I did find an empty loot chest...

59f97190e2f0e81ecdfcc1bc8173b452.jpg

b4e3c8d025f21ae8a1fafac5cdfe127b.jpg

fdcbc0074c55e83d20d7044dd376b1b8.jpg

• Like 7
8 hours ago, obax said:

Sadly, no. It had gotten itself off the road and into a bushy/foresty area. I saw where in went down into the ditch and followed it trail for a bit, but once I got into the trees there were deer and coyote tracks literally everywhere. I feel like Mantracker could have followed the trail, but my tracking skills aren't quite that good, and the area was at the edge of a 8 hectare forested park in my city, so once it gets in there it's nearly impossible to find. Not the first time I've lost an injured deer in that park, sadly.

I love snowshoeing, but don't actually own a pair. I feel like this makes me a bad Canadian, but they're not cheap and I've got no one to go with me regularly, I'm the only person I know who likes winter, so I haven't been able to justify the cost yet. If I ever make a friend who likes winter too, I would happily pay for a pair knowing I'd use them regularly, but alas, that day has not yet come...

Come to my neck of the woods and I'll take you snowshoeing. :)

Fun aside, the Mantracker is one of the instructors at my women's wilderness retreat. His class fills up quickly though.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Sadly, I can't make my last BMF class today. It clashes with my counselling appointment, which I only remembered because M reminded me. So, I'm going to use my rangerly powers of adaption and force myself to go on an outdoor run afterwards. Feel free to hold me accountable to it!

• Like 5

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

What an adventure! Too bad you weren't able to capture the Yeti.;) Glad you were able to Ranger through and make it home safe though. 

18 hours ago, TGP said:

Awesome tale, TGP! We might just catch the hype thieves because of your efforts.

• Like 3

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Took a nice slow run to see if the thief was nearby (or the slowness could be that I'm just getting back to running, but hey. Let's pretend it was to make it easier to spot anything suspicious :P). I met a fox, but he had something in his mouth and ran away before I could ask him any questions. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Rhovaniel said:

I met a fox, but he had something in his mouth and ran away before I could ask him any question

A CLUE! Now we just need to decode what the fox says.... 

• Haha 8

"First you decide what you've gotta do, and then you go out and do it. And maybe the most that we can do is just to see each other through it." -Ani Difranco

Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

The wetland park has been explored. I did not have appropriate shoes for half the trails, so we had to stick to the paved ones. We didn't see any tracks, but the red tailed hawk was pointing over that way...

(I have a couple pictures, but they are not cooperating right now, so I'll post them later)

• Like 5

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

I know I said I'd do this tomorrow, but I want to do it now.

As the Rangers Spanned out to look for a trail the weather worsened, some struck by even colder temperatures, some by insanely warm ones. In many places the snow and ice thickened, making finding a trail difficult. The Hype, however, had not been stolen from just anyone. This was the Ranger Corps, and all adversity ever did to them was increase their ability to adapt. They plunged on, hiking, climbing, sliding, skidding, slipping but always searching. It seemed as though they would never find the trail to track down the thief.  It occurred to them that the weather used against them offered a clue as to the identity of the thieves. Finally, someone found a sign, a large footprint. Other signs, bent branches high up, trees knocked over, all began to come together. As they all gathered a thought appeared in everyone's minds, almost at the same time.

"Jotuns" someone muttered, and many began to nod. The Frost Giants' involvement would certainly explain the cold, and the hype could, if modified, be used in place of the casket the Asgardians took from them after the last war. The Chaplain summoned the corps to the sight of the first print found.

"Rangers, at last we have a clue as to who the theives might be. I don't know how they found a way out of Jotunheim, but it seems the Frost Giants have stolen our hype. It could be modified into a device they could use like the casket Odin took from them long ago. We now have two reasons two find the hype, to get it back and to prevent the Frost Giants from using it as a weapon against others. The Frost Giants are big, but they are not fast. They have had time to get away, but we are no mere thief takers. We are the Ranger Corps, and we do not tire with quarry to hunt. We will overtake them and find a way to get our hype back. Let's go!"

The chaplain sprang down the trail.

We have found out who the stole the hype and who they are, let's do our speed feats in week two to catch up to them.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Stribs watched as her fellow rangers raced off in search of the Jotuns.  She let the group thin out, knowing better than to try and keep up with those up front.  There's nothing wrong with bringing up the rear, she thought to herself.  Someone has to do it.  But in the back of her mind, a voice told her to push a little harder because while she wasn't racing her fellow rangers, the race to restore the hype and keep it out of the hands of the Jotuns was one that couldn't be taken lightly.  She looked at those around her, and, like them, pushed forward with a different type of determination in her strides.  The time for training was over.  The time for action had come.

giphy.gif

While speed of foot is not my thing at all, I'm HIITing speed week with an extra circuit workout to keep my heart rate speeding. :) Let's find those Jotuns!!

• Like 10

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

I'd like to arrive in the Nick of time, but as y'all about to be overrun and squished into Giant-Juice

that is why I'm going to run at 9:59minute mile (-9min mile right?)... then become a gasping useless wreck of a guy  for a little while

....so this all works if you don't find the giant TOO fast (I gotta have time to catch my breath).., ok?  cuz if you catch up too quickly- we're dead!

Just sayin.

Work is done for the weekend!  YAY!!   tomarrow Work for the weekday begins.  :(

let me see if I can go get some pics (from the Other day).   if this thing with the Giant goes south; someone could still try to interrogate the Yeti!

A Big "Foot" is bound to be easier to deal with than a Big Giant

-----------------------

UPDATE:

pics WERE taken. BUT

the battery decided to give out just as I got to the electric line.  It Just wouldn't be the same photo report without this....

so.... I will have to walk again (tomarrow) All the flippin ways out there to get a pic of that place.

Oh well,

its actually a very athletic walk and gets a little easier EACH time I walk over the same set of tracks.

Hopefully I will have (good) pics posted late tomarrow.

Until then...

.... wow I am absolutely Loving the Florida pics! 

ty

• Like 3

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Shaar is not fast.  She knows this and lets out a mighty groan - even though getting FAST and more AGILE are part of her 2018 GOALS - it's still cold out and the year is young.  What she lacks in speed she more than makes up for in a wild blind determination, so she lets out a motivational shriek and dives into--

HIIT OH GOD WHY did I do this to myself.

I'll fit this in on Friday before I go to work in the afternoon.  Ok.  OK.  I can do it.  FOR THE RANGERS, FOR THE HYPE, FRICK OFF FROST GIANT DUDES WE COMIN' FOR YA

• Like 8

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."