Seabright's 2018 Battle Log of Awesomeness

Thur - Sun, Jan 25-Jan 28

Was in all-day training on Thur & Fri. Big catch-up post!

Eating paleo

• Handful of cashews and other nuts on Thurs. Chicken strips Thursday night.
  • More mixed nuts. Shot of whiskey Friday night.
  • Massive handfuls of trail mix with raisins, peanuts, and some other nameless horror of a sugary dried fruit on Saturday. Also, 1/2 beer. 
  • More chicken strips on Sunday.

Daily exercise

• Virtually none.
  • Yoga on Sunday, though.

Taking time

• Long drives are great for 'taking time'. 
  • Got off the freeway early one day, took a different way home on another. 

Patience

• Challenged to be patient Thur & Fri. The fellow leading the training was in love with the sound of his own voice.
  • But, you know, a lot of people are. What's the harm? I wasn't going to get home any faster by leaving 20 minutes earlier. I should have just entered my own fantasy world and planned out what I was going to do in my garden instead of fretting and being a jerk (mentally). 
  • Lesson learned here. Equanimity in all things. Even people in love with their own voices deserve respect. 

Goals for the week

• Play mandolin 15 minutes each day.  Errrrr...about 50%
  • Figure out guitar chords for  'Yippee Yi Your Troubles Away'.  Done! Done, I tell you! Now need to show them to the spousal unit.
  • Practice 'It's a Good Day' on guitar or mando and nail the rhythm. Done! Think I figured out the trouble spot, finally. Did this one at Sunday's gig and did much better. Now need to get the spousal unit to sing on the high part. 

Side quest: sweater clean-out (30 sweaters = too many sweaters)

Wear a different one every day, culling the herd as I go along.

• Sweater 1 done. Light blue V neck. Love the color. Keeping it.
  • Sweater 2 done. Blue striped snap-neck long-sleeve cotton one. I really like the idea of this sweater, but for some reason I don't really reach for it. I think it's too long. Put in hem/fix pile for now.
  • Sweater 3 done. Purple wool turtleneck. I love this thing! it always makes me feel dressed-up and elegant. Keeping it.
  • Sweater 4 done. Silvery-pink cashmere turtleneck. Oh, how I love this sweater! Realizing that I don't wear it that much, because I'm, you know, keeping it for good
  • Sweater 5 done. Green wool turtleneck I've had forever. Always a winner.
  • Sweater 6 done. Orange cardigan over a white and orange plaid shirt. Lots of compliments. Keeping it.
  • Sweater 7 done. Cream cotton shaker knit v neck. Really nice sweater, but made the mistake of wearing it to a gig. Sweated in it. Dang.
  • Sweater 8 done. Olive and rust striped turtleneck, worn while working in the garden. Nice looking turtle, but rugged enough for some dirty work in cold weather. Everyone needs a sweater like this. 
  • Sweater 9 done. Stripy sweater dress. Feeling very glamorous right now. Love this thing.
  • Sweater 10 done. Longish open-front blue shaker knit cardigan. Gorgeous color, wonderful drape. Keeping.
  • Sweater 11 done. Mustard-yellow 3/4 sleeve cashmere cardigan. I feel sharp wearing this. Keeping.
  • Sweater 12 done. Pine-green cashmere cardigan. Usually wear this open, and sometimes it makes me feel a little dowdy. Buttoned up the front and it now looks much more spiffy. 
  • Sweater 13 done. Red stand-up collar thingie worn as a work shirt. Great color, high collar kept my neck warm, and substantial weight meant no need for another layer while working outside. This was a win and a keeper. 
  • Sweater 14 done. Long brown alpaca cardigan. I feel modern and chick in this thing. Keeper. 
  • Sweater 15 done. Weird mustard-yellow boxy long sleeve with the split back. This is such a strange sweater, but when I've got it on I always feel vaguely hip and, you know, with it. Looks great with dark flared jeans. Groovy 70s vibe. Keeping it, but I don't think this is one for heavy rotation.
  • Sweater 16 done. Woven bright-blue-black-white open cardigan-sweater-jacket thing. Lots of compliments, but realizing this sweater doesn't do anything for me. The colors mean that I can really only wear it with black or white bottoms (I stay away from both), and the cut and sleeve length mean I can only wear it with a white turtleneck. I only wore it once last year. I think this is one to donate. 
  • Sweater 17 done. The beige cropped fisherman's sweater. Another really beautiful knit that does absolutely nothing for me, except make me look vaguely matronly. Oh, how I hate to get rid of this lovely sweater, but I think I've worn it maybe once since I got it. Will need to gird my loins on this one, and give it to Project Purr.
  • Sweater 18 done. Purple zip cardigan, worn with stripy knit skirt. Had the sleeves taken up and now actually wearable. Compliments on the color, and really looks good with this skirt. Keeping it, and will find other combos to wear with it.

"Enthusiasm is the great hill-climber." - Elbert Hubbard
Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Mon, Jan 29

In the interest of honesty, here is my weight this morning: 131.00

Damn.

It's not just about staying away from sweets, clearly. Will pay more attention to all the little 'healthy' add-ons to my salads (dried cranberries, nuts), the trail mix gobbling, and the deep-fried excesses.

Moving on!

Eating paleo

• All good.

Daily exercise

• Nice warm-up, followed by:
  • 3x5 counter push-ups.
  • 3x5 assisted squats (very deep).
  • 3x5 angled pull-ups.
  • 3x5 seconds straight-arm planks.
  • 3x5 seconds boat pose.
  • Stretchy cool-down.

Feeling pretty good.

Taking time

• Disappeared into a little room at work for a couple of hours, and hammered out that final exam.
  • Feeling much better. Glad I made the second attempt, and glad I did it locked away.

Patience

• Patiently reviewed the materials and focused on where I went wrong. Re-wrote 2 sections and resubmitted. 

Goals for the week

• Play mandolin 15 minutes each day.  DONE!
  • Teach  guitar chords for  'Yippee Yi Your Troubles Away' to spousal unit. Pending. He's at gigs Mon, Tues & Wed this week.
  • Work out a break to  'It's a Good Day' on mando. Pending.

• Sweater 2 done. Blue striped snap-neck long-sleeve cotton one. I really like the idea of this sweater, but for some reason I don't really reach for it. I think it's too long. Put in hem/fix pile for now.
  • Sweater 3 done. Purple wool turtleneck. I love this thing! it always makes me feel dressed-up and elegant. Keeping it.
  • Sweater 4 done. Silvery-pink cashmere turtleneck. Oh, how I love this sweater! Realizing that I don't wear it that much, because I'm, you know, keeping it for good
  • Sweater 6 done. Orange cardigan over a white and orange plaid shirt. Lots of compliments. Keeping it.
  • Sweater 7 done. Cream cotton shaker knit v neck. Really nice sweater, but made the mistake of wearing it to a gig. Sweated in it. Dang.
  • Sweater 8 done. Olive and rust striped turtleneck, worn while working in the garden. Nice looking turtle, but rugged enough for some dirty work in cold weather. Everyone needs a sweater like this. 
  • Sweater 9 done. Stripy sweater dress. Feeling very glamorous right now. Love this thing.
  • Sweater 10 done. Longish open-front blue shaker knit cardigan. Gorgeous color, wonderful drape. Keeping.
  • Sweater 11 done. Mustard-yellow 3/4 sleeve cashmere cardigan. I feel sharp wearing this. Keeping.
  • Sweater 12 done. Pine-green cashmere cardigan. Usually wear this open, and sometimes it makes me feel a little dowdy. Buttoned up the front and it now looks much more spiffy. 
  • Sweater 13 done. Red stand-up collar thingie worn as a work shirt. Great color, high collar kept my neck warm, and substantial weight meant no need for another layer while working outside. This was a win and a keeper. 
  • Sweater 14 done. Long brown alpaca cardigan. I feel modern and chick in this thing. Keeper. 
  • Sweater 15 done. Weird mustard-yellow boxy long sleeve with the split back. This is such a strange sweater, but when I've got it on I always feel vaguely hip and, you know, with it. Looks great with dark flared jeans. Groovy 70s vibe. Keeping it, but I don't think this is one for heavy rotation.
  • Sweater 16 done. Woven bright-blue-black-white open cardigan-sweater-jacket thing. Lots of compliments, but realizing this sweater doesn't do anything for me. The colors mean that I can really only wear it with black or white bottoms (I stay away from both), and the cut and sleeve length mean I can only wear it with a white turtleneck. I only wore it once last year. I think this is one to donate. 
  • Sweater 17 done. The beige cropped fisherman's sweater. Another really beautiful knit that does absolutely nothing for me, except make me look vaguely matronly. Oh, how I hate to get rid of this lovely sweater, but I think I've worn it maybe once since I got it. Will need to gird my loins on this one, and give it to Project Purr.
  • Sweater 18 done. Magenta zip cardigan, worn with stripy knit skirt. Had the sleeves taken up and now actually wearable. Compliments on the color, and really looks good with this skirt. Keeping it, and will find other combos to wear with it.

Human Adventurer

I want to be fit and healthy so I can explore and enjoy all the beauty the outdoor world has to offer, in all kinds of weather, all the days of my life.

2024 Battle Log2023 Battle Log2022 Battle Log2021 Battle Log2020 Battle Log2019 Battle Log2018 Battle Log2017 Battle Log2016 Battle Log

Tues, Jan 30

Eating paleo

• Forgot to eat dinner (at gig and forgot to order).
  • The apple I brought to eat on the drive home was rotten to the core.
  • Had 2 Kind bars when I got home. 
  • Fail.

Daily exercise

• 15 minutes of yoga'ing, just to get things moving.

Taking time

• Sat pensively in my car for a few secs before going in.

Patience

• Had to take many deep breaths today, at various points. Actually said, 'have patience' out loud.
  • In fact, the mandolin player said to me at one point, 'Just go with it and have fun.'
  • Schooled.

Goals for the week

• Play mandolin 15 minutes each day.  Exempt today. Bass gig on the BBQ place.
  • Teach  guitar chords for  'Yippee Yi Your Troubles Away' to spousal unit. Pending. 

• Sweater 18 done. Magenta zip cardigan, worn with stripy knit skirt. Had the sleeves taken up and now actually wearable. Compliments on the color, and really looks good with this skirt. Keeping it, and will find other combos to wear with it.

Getting down to the dregs. Finding myself actively avoiding even putting on the last few. Today I have a bass gig after work, so no sweater, but finding myself relieved. I'm also longing to wear that orange cardigan or cream V neck, so that should be a clue as to where to take this from here.

Human Adventurer

Wed, Jan 31

Eating paleo

• Kind bar at lunch, lovingly presented to me by the spousal unit.
  • Note to self: let spousal unit know that I'm staying away from these from now on. 
  • Shot of whiskey while doing laundry.

Daily exercise

• None. 
  • But I did walk 5.1K steps, so that's something, I guess.

Taking time

• Stood in the garden and made plans.

Patience

• Nothing of note.
  • For that reason, I think I felt a tad off and stressed all day.

Goals for the week

• Teach  guitar chords for  'Yippee Yi Your Troubles Away' to spousal unit. Pending. 

• Sweater 19 done. I forgot about this one --- olive green moto-inspired wool zip with knit collar. This thing rocks. It serves the same purpose as #17, and is a much groovier sweater. This stays, that one goes.

Human Adventurer

Thur, Feb 1

Eating paleo

• All good so far.

Daily exercise

• Quick warm-up, followed by:
  • 3x5 counter push-ups.
  • 3x5 lunges, each leg.
  • 3x5 angled chin-ups.
  • 3x5 seconds straight-one-arm planks each side.
  • Quick cool-down.

Taking time

•  

Patience

•  

Goals for the week

• Play mandolin 15 minutes each day.  
  • Teach  guitar chords for  'Yippee Yi Your Troubles Away' to spousal unit. 
  • Work out a break to  'It's a Good Day' on mando. 

• Sweater 19 done. I forgot about this one --- olive green moto-inspired wool zip with knit collar. This thing rocks. It serves the same purpose as #17, and is a much groovier sweater. This stays, that one goes.
  • Sweater 20 done. Spring green cotton cardigan. I've had this forever, and it's such a pretty color and comfortable knit. Nothing fancy, but it always makes me happy. Keeper.

Human Adventurer

Tue, Feb 6

Had some of this and that happen, which caused me to go into turtle mode. 

Feeling better today, and ready to kill it once again! Another chance to be awesome!

Eating paleo

• All good.

Daily exercise

• 20 minutes of yoga. Focused on joint mobility, and loosening up my shoulders.
  • Feeling so much better! Done and done!

Taking time

• Sat in a focus room and did some work in there on my ownsome.

Patience

• Went back to the old folks home, winning the award for patience and try-it-again-ness.

Goals for the week

• Play mandolin 15 minutes each day.  Nope.
  • Teach  guitar chords for  'Yippee Yi Your Troubles Away' to spousal unit. Nope.
  • Work out a break to  'It's a Good Day' on mando. Nope.

• Sweater 20 done. Spring green cotton cardigan. I've had this forever, and it's such a pretty color and comfortable knit. Nothing fancy, but it always makes me happy. Keeper.
  • Sweater 21 done. Short-sleeved blue cropped cardy. So loved the color of this one, but just doesn't fit any more. Donated.
  • Sweater 22 done. Peachy-pink light-weight wool cardy. Another beautiful, beautiful color--that doesn't fit. Donated.

It's been 75 degrees out the last few days. Definitely not sweater weather. I may pause this exercise for a bit. Or at least rethink my cold-weather-to-warm-weather sweater ratio.

Human Adventurer

Wed, Feb 7

Eating paleo

• Handful of nuts and sweetish stuff in some weird trail mix. 
  • I can't claim I was fooled, though, I knew exactly what I was doing when I put that stuff in my mouth.

Daily exercise

• 20 minutes of yoga, freeing up my low back and neck.

Taking time

•  

Patience

•  

Goals for the week

• Work out a break to  'It's a Good Day' on mando. 

• Sweater 21 done. Short-sleeved blue cropped cardy. So loved the color of this one, but just doesn't fit any more. Donated.
  • Sweater 22 done. Peachy-pink light-weight wool cardy. Another beautiful, beautiful color--that doesn't fit. Donated.

Skipped the next-in-line to return to the mustard yellow cashmere cardy again. I have a meeting I really want to look nice for. This is a sign that the remaining  choices are sub-standard. Hmmmmmm.

Human Adventurer

Once upon a time, not so very long ago, there was a daughter who loved her father very much. He took her camping, showed her a pair of trumpeter swans, taught her about the California buckwheat that covered the local hillsides, showed her how to keep the roses healthy, and was a source of good cheer and smiles.

As they aged together, and time moved them far apart, she knew there would come a day that she would be the one to take care of him. Her brothers loved him, too, but she always knew that he would come to live near her when the time came.

And she looked forward to it, imagining them hiking together, once again following songbirds across the marshes, wondering at the small plants that grew in the cracks of the sidewalk, and finding smiles and good cheer in each others' company.

But then, one day, things changed. The smiles were there, but fading, the knowledge was there, but melting away like a snowflake in the sun. Things changed. And then they changed again. And he did come live near her. But instead of walks through the woods and birding in the marshes, came bittersweet moments slowly moving along a walkway in the afternoon sun, and lonely moments in the night.

But one day, not so very long ago, she realized that one thing hadn't changed. And would never change as long as she could help it.

The good cheer and smiles would always be there.

Human Adventurer

Mon, Feb 12

I'm having trouble keeping on top of my log. My log has always been my lifeline, the way I keep my feet on the ground and moving in a forwardly direction. Time to get back on track.

I went back and changed my 2018 power word to 2: Bravery AND Patience. I think I need them both for a while longer.

Eating paleo

• Poppy seed bagel.
  • 10 mini chocolate chip cookies.
  • 8 little easter egg chocolates.

Rough day, and when I got home, i found a gift box of goodies from my aunt and uncle on the front porch. There were fruits in there, too, but I fell victim to the stuff containing chocolate. 

Skipped dinner, because I felt so gunky.

Daily exercise

• 20 minutes of yoga in the am, freeing up my low back and neck.
  • 55 minutes of yoga in the pm, mostly standing poses. 

Instead of calming down with a shot of whiskey, I decided to try a challenging yoga session instead. At the end of it, my mind was still oppressed, but I felt less desperate. Definitely worked, and I slept pretty well, too. 

Doing this type of thing after work is predicated on the spousal unit being at a gig or band practice (our house is VERY small). Tonight, I just really wanted to be alone, so things worked out well. 

Taking time

• 5-minute meditation and breathing in a focus room.

Bravery & Patience

• Girded my loins and called the neurologist. Again. 
  • Did not lose my temper at being ignored, but was firm that I expected a return call. 
  • Well, we'll see what happens. I hope tomorrow's bravery doesn't include having to find another neurologist.

Goals for the week

• Keep working on 'It's a Good Day'. 

Side challenge: act like a leader

• This is the place where I'll house all the little things I can do to make me look like people-manager material.
  • This can be anything - holding my tongue when I want to complain, talking about personal-to-me stuff to others, looking anything but reasoned and calm in meetings.
  • Dressing better counts.  

• Sweater 14 done. Long brown alpaca cardigan. I feel modern and chic in this thing. Keeper. 
  • Sweater 23 done. Very old lightweight light blue v-neck. Still a great sweater, but definitely summer weight. 

Time to drop the challenge. What's left:

• Sloppy blue and gray striped boxy crew neck. Used to love this sweater, but now too sloppy for my current style. I"ve been hanging on to it because it was a gift from the spousal unit.
  • Blue, black, and weird off-white fine knit summer-weight cardigan. I've been hanging on to this one because it was expensive, but I really don't have anything to wear with it, and the colors aren't actually that flattering. 
  • A couple of others that are known keepers -- fabulous fit and color, or workhorse items that already complete other outfits. 

So, 2 left to donate. In secret. So no disgruntlement is engendered. 

Human Adventurer

Tue, Feb 13

Eating paleo

• All good.

Daily exercise

• 15 minutes of yoga, focusing on twists.

Taking time

• Disappeared into a focus room for a few minutes and ate my lunch.

Bravery & Patience

• On deck today: ANOTHER CALL TO THE FREAKIN' NEUROLOGIST. Sort of at a loss if I don't get a response, and not sure how to proceed. We need to get the aggression settled down, and it's now time for medication.
  • Will take a lot of deep breaths before making the call, so I sound sane and firm, and not shrieking and crazy.
  • This is all so very troubling. 
  • But, I can do it. 
  • Because I am a trained professional and this does not phase me. 
  • Update: He finally called me back at the end of the day. I was already on my way home, and pulled over to talk. Stayed patient and kept my temper. Got the drugs. 

Goals for the week

• Dropped the sweater challenge. I only have the dregs left, and I want to start spiffing things up, work-wardrobe-wise. 

Human Adventurer

Wed, Feb 14

Eating paleo

• Berry Upbeat smoothie.
  • Fruit and Nut Kind bar.
  • Followed by another one. 
  • Followed by sweet potato fries.
  • In spite of all of this yucky-ness, I ended the day feeling pretty good.

Daily exercise

• 15 minutes of yoga, getting my upper back moving and fluid.

Taking time

• Took my time coming back from my doc appt. Stopped by a garden center, and then tooled around, taking the long way home. 

Bravery & Patience

• Actually showed up for my annual exam. Gold star for me!
  • Spoke up at that one scary meeting. Yay for me!
  • Went to visit Dad and held his hand.

Goals for the week

• Read the new job profiles stuff. Made note to print, read, and plan, next time I'm in the office.
  • Did not complain to anyone at work about what's going on w/Dad. 

Human Adventurer

Thur, Feb 15

Eating paleo

• All good so far.
  • Then fail.

Daily exercise

• 25 minutes of saluting the sun.
  • Feeling great right now.

Taking time

• Paused for a moment outside of building 6 and watched a Black Phoebe swoop and flutter. He was using the stairway railing as a launching pad, diving in and out of a nearby pine and flying low over the grass, after insects. 

Bravery & Patience

• All over the place.

Goals for the week

• Discussed how to solve the problem, rather than complaining about the problem.

Human Adventurer

Mon, Feb 26

Reboot! I'm launching my own personal challenge. Behold! 

6 Week Challenge of Ultimate Awesomeness

Starting weight: 131.00

Goals:

BWW: 3xWeek

Yoga: 3xWeek

Nutrition: No crap.

Other: Mando everyday. It can even be just 5 minutes-worth. Just touch the damn thing.

BWW Tracking here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DKQ919UBpTudkccEwuVgFoLZCwM6Ft4mHdsvn6Zz6AE/edit#gid=0

Eating paleo

• One crisp cookie.
  • One handful trail mix.
  • Not bad overall, considering.

Daily exercise

• BWW done. See spreadsheet for deets.

Taking time

• Stopped at a garden center on the way home. Got some good ideas. If things are there when I'm passing by on Wednesday, they may be coming home with me.

Bravery & Patience

• Showed up for the thing I'd been manipulated into doing. Led the thing with a smile on my face.
  • Bring it on.

Mando

• 20 minutes. Learning 'Nine Pound Hammer'.

• Smiled and did the thing.
  • Did not complain or gossip about it, though given the opportunity by a friend.

Human Adventurer

Tue, Feb 27

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

It's my birthday, so I hereby acknowledge up-front that eating today can (and will) be sloppy. ;-)

Eating paleo

• Oatmeal cookie.
  • 2 margaritas at lunch with friends.
  • 1 huge slice chocolate cappuccino cheesecake for dessert after a sensible dinner.

Daily exercise

• Kicked off the day with 30 minutes of restorative yoga. 

Taking time

• Fertilized more roses.
  • Sat in the garden in the cold early morning with the gray kitty. She chirped a birthday greeting at me.

Bravery & Patience

• Bravely took the day off, and let the work chips fall where they may.

Mando

• A few minutes playing 9 pound hammer.

• Got up early, fed the cats, did some yoga, and ate an apple, instead of lying in bed until 10am.

Human Adventurer

Wed, Feb 28

Eating paleo

• Good for most of the day.
  • Then got reeeaaaalllly sleepy right before my gig. Ended up drinking 1/2 a diet coke.
  • Starving when I left at the end of the night. Wanted a donut, but stopped and got chicken nuggets instead. Not ideal, but not as bad.

Lessons learned:

• There's actually nothing wrong with being a little sleepy before a gig. I would have perked up anyway as soon as we started playing. The DC was unnecessary.
  • Plan ahead. Bring an apple, banana or some such.

Daily exercise

• BWW done. See spreadsheet for deets.

Taking time

• Garden time with the kitties! The little gray-kins may have a black panther friend. The youngster cat from across the street came visiting.

Bravery & Patience

• On deck for today: take Dad to the dentist. Don't fall apart. Explain everything up-front all along the way. Picture the plumpkins attacking the living room rug before walking in.
  • Update: we did it, but it was a tad horrific. Even though I'd called multiple times to confirm they were wheelchair accessible, they really weren't. They tried to put us in a too-small room. I (politely) refused and pointed to the empty room big enough to accommodate us. Then, big trouble getting into the chair, which wasn't adjustable enough and couldn't accommodate a difficult transfer. 
  • Patiently, slowly, with lots of hugs and smiles, we got it done. 

Mando

• Bass gig tonight. 

• Thanked the director for the thanks, and did NOT say anything about not wanting to participate next time. Just sucked it up and smiled.

Human Adventurer

Thur, Mar 1

Eating paleo

Epic fail.

• Breakfast sandwich on a croissant.
  • Chicken teriyaki bowl with an egg roll.
  • 2 fish tacos with tortilla chips.

Blech.

Daily exercise

• Long yoga session. Lots and lots of hip-opening side-stretching goodness. 

Taking time

• Sat outside in the cool, wet morning, watching the birds.

Bravery & Patience

• On deck for today: last physical therapy session for Dad.
  • Update: very nice time with the physical therapist. She really gets him, and it's very sweet to see the two of them together. Bravely decided not to tell him that it was her last visit. Last time, I mentioned it repeatedly to make sure he really understood, and he was really down for a few days. He'll remember the echo of what happen, and retain the emotions, but won't remember the why. All he'll know if that he's depressed and sad. No need for that again, and I saw my mistake in time. He had a fun time with her, and we left it on a high note. 

Mando

• None. Didn't even touch it. What's wrong with me???

• Managed to attend all the meetings. Thanked someone for their hard work.

Human Adventurer

Fri, Mar 2

Eating paleo

• All-fruit smoothie. It was all fruit, but still.
  • Almond cocoanut Kind bar. I was going for the chocolate one, but grabbed this instead. 

Daily exercise

• Another long, stretchy yoga session. 

Taking time

• Breathed deeply and stood in the damp garden with the little gray-kins, watching the gold finches.

Bravery & Patience

• Bravely did my work goals for the month. And I sooooo didn't want to.

Mando

• 20 minutes of trying 9 Pound Hammer in different keys. I figured it out in different key  positions, I just didn't know what those positions were. Har har.
  • This is important--people sing songs in different keys, and if I'm going to be able to jam, I need to continue working on this one.

• Asked someone why they thought their suggestion worked. If I know the why, then maybe I can come up with a solution that works for all instances. 

Human Adventurer

Sat & Sun, Mar 3 & 4

Eating paleo

• Pretty good, overall.
  • Went to a potluck, and stuck to grilled chicken, broccoli salad, and sausage-on-a-stick.
  • Had a couple of Kind bars, and a couple of chicken strips.
  • Beer with dinner Saturday night.

Daily exercise

• BWW session on Saturday. 
  • Light stretching on Sunday.

Taking time

• Lots of lovely early-morning garden time. The bumble bees are here! The bumble bees are here!

Bravery & Patience

• Bravely went to a jam with people I didn't really know and brought my mando. Took breaks, even though I can't really pick out a tune yet. 
  • Patiently acknowledged that my fingers were aching and switched to the bass. Went and joined a jam with a huge bunch of guys that i don't know. 
  • Acquitted myself. ;-)

Mando

• Practiced chopping along with a recording on Sat.
  • Big jam on Sun.

• Was gracious and kind when skipped in the song rotation, rather than making a big deal out of it like I might have done in the past. 
  • Turned it into a funny moment, and then got to sing high baritone on one of my favorite songs. So, made some new friends, when I could easily have made some new enemies.

Human Adventurer

Mon, Mar 5

Weight: 131.00. Still.

The good news is that I know how to maintain the steady number. Now I just need to get it to go in a downwardly direction.

Eating paleo

• Breakfast - all good.
  • Lunch - all good.
  • Snacks - all good.
  • Dinner - 4 sweet potato fries (usually would have been a full bag). 

Daily exercise

• Overslept, so just some quick loosening-up yoga'ing.
  • 7,000 steps, including a 1 mile walk.

Taking time

• Gorgeous walk at lunchtime. Spring sunshine and calmed my nerves.

Bravery & Patience

• On deck for today: call the insurance company and find out why they didn't pay.
  • Result: found out I just plain wasn't covered, because the provider was out-of-network. Doh!
  • Patiently did not scream and cry. 

Mando

• Took it out of it's case, set it up, and hung it back up on the wall.

• Discussed long-term career strategy with my mentor. What would give me the best shot at next-steps? Staying in the large group where I'm currently placed, or pushing for the new role on an entirely new team? 
  • No conclusion, but it helped to talk it out with someone else. Plus, now there's one other person at this company who knows of my career aspirations. 

Human Adventurer

"Forgive yourself for something that happened in the past that you can't let go of."

Whoa. This is a tough one. Because, I think I need to forgive myself for not forgiving someone else for a deep emotional and spiritual wrong they did to me. 

I actually Googled this, and found this article: When You Can't Forgive. Hugely helpful, and talks about the natural 'conditions' for forgiveness, characterizing the 'need' to forgive as blaming the victim and empty new-age rhetoric. Forgiveness happens in it's own time, when certain conditions have been met, and can't be forced.

Condition #1: A good apology.

I did get this. 

Condition #2: A good outcome.

Sort of. I can't really say the outcome isn't good, so let's say this has been met. 

Condition #3: An end to the offending behavior.

This has most certainly NOT been met. In fact, the person who did this to me is now writing a book glorifying the behavior. And, this person is the admin of a Facebook page that glorifies the behavior, posting regularly. And,  this person is actively behaving in a way that says the behavior will be repeated at some point. 

So, no, not forgiven. I'm just not feeling it. 

But, I've been feeling like there's something wrong with me for not being able to forgive and move on. And now I see, I can just move on. I don't actually have to feel bad about not forgiving the behavior, because true forgiveness hasn't yet been earned. The initial hurt was too deep, the betrayal too whole-hearted. And the justification for the hurt, too lame. Too 'it wasn't my fault.' No accountability for the hurt.

I'm not holding a grudge, I'm not behaving angrily, or in a contrary way. I'm not being mean in any way. We interact cordially, talk on the phone regularly, etc. It's just that I don't forgive them. 

So, I get to forgive myself for not forgiving. 

I can just move on from this and call it a day.

Human Adventurer

Tue, Mar 6

Eating paleo

• Breakfast - all good.
  • Lunch - chicken teriyaki bowl and an egg roll
  • Snack - apple
  • Dinner - chicken strips.

Daily exercise

• 20 mins yoga and saluting the sun.
  • BWW workout B, logged in spreadsheet.
  • Walked 1 mile, intentionally.

Taking time

• Stepped outside in the cold morning air to fill the feeders. Closely observed by Jack, the neighbor's kitty, lurking under the oak tree. He's just a boisterous teenager, and means no harm.  

Bravery & Patience

• On deck for today: taking Dad to the audiologist to see if we can't do something about that hearing aid.
  • Update: did it! very patient answering the questions, graceful in responding to certain things in front of Dad to let him keep his dignity but to still be clear about what he could and couldn't do, characterized his living space as a 'suite' and the communal space as 'lively'.
  • Got new demo aids--1 for each ear! 
  • Now we need to watch and stay alert for any confusion or disorientation that may arise from hearing sounds he hasn't heard in a few years---and has never heard while at Twin Lakes. 
  • Fingers crossed that all will be well. 

Mando

• Played for 15 minutes. Started trying to pick out a tune, all on my ownsome. In Bb!

• Good-naturedly agreed to change some content in response to feedback from someone who's opinion I don't actually respect that much. When it's true, it's true, and I've noticed that I too-often automatically discount what she has to say. That's not cool, and changes today.

Human Adventurer

Wed, Mar 7

Eating paleo

• Breakfast - all good.
  • Lunch - weird, not enough, but okay.
  • Snack - soo freakin' hungry, nose-dived into 4 fig newtons.
  • Dinner - weird, 'heavy hors d'oeuvres' at a meet-up. 5 huge prawns. Bottle of beer.

Daily exercise

• 10 mins of yoga-ing. Slept in a bit, so just the basics.
  • 1 mile walk.

Taking time

• None.

Bravery & Patience

• None.

Mando

• None.

• Issue with team dynamics. Decided to act like a leader and find a way to give meaningful feedback, rather than just to complain to someone's manager. Will need to think about this more, and perhaps approach another for some mentorship on how to proceed. 

Human Adventurer

Thur, Mar 8

Eating paleo

• Breakfast - all good.
  • Lunch - all good.
  • Snack - apples, but also a few handfuls of trail mix. 
  • Dinner - turkey burger as a wrap, but a few sweet potato fries, too. Bottle of beer.

Daily exercise

• 1 mile walk.

Taking time

• Sweet early-morning garden time, fresh and clean after a light rain the night before.

Bravery & Patience

• None.

Mando

• None.

• Too tired to think about it.

Human Adventurer

Fri, Mar 9

Eating paleo

• Breakfast - all good.
  •  

Daily exercise

• Long yoga warm-up, BWW workout, easy cool-down.
  • Feeling like I just got back on track. Data logged in sheet.
  • Walked 1 mile.

Taking time

• I love working from home, because it means I can take a few quiet moments in the garden before launching into the day. The birds are singing they little heads off, there's usually a kitteh or two playing on their own, and the bees are returning to their favorites. Saw 3 species of bumblebees at the ceanothus this morning. My beloved Wheeler Canyon is blooming is head off.

Bravery & Patience

• On deck: plan a calm discussion of the issue and ask for mentoring.
  • Update: had the planned calm discussion and I think it came of pretty well. Now have a plan for next time.

Mando

• Nada.

• See above.
  • Also, reported in on mentoring activity. I like where this is headed, but I think I'll do some reading on effective ways at giving feedback and inspiring others. There's stuff to learn here, and i would like to be good at this.

Human Adventurer

Sat & Sun, Mar 10 & 11

Eating paleo

• Some biggish fails:
    • pizza
    • beers
    • my friend Sam's homemade whiskey (<- yikes!)
    • chocolate bar
    • cliff bar

Daily exercise

• Nothing formal, but worked my keister off in the yard all weekend.
  • Super stiff and sore by the end of the day on Sunday.
  • Completely spaced on walking a mile every day. 

Taking time

• Many moments in the garden, imagining this and that. 
  • Played with little Dolly and snuggled with Emma cat. 

Bravery & Patience

• Patience win!! Dug up the Autumn Sunset that had been too far into the shade for the last 12 years and moved it.
  • This is a massive climbing rose -- the roots and deep and wide.
  • Dug slowly and patiently, taking my time, working it loose. 
  • It took a while, but I did not hurt myself!
  • Yay!

Mando

• Nada.

• Led my dad out of a dark place on Sunday. Left him laughing in the light.

Human Adventurer