• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

J3NN

J3nn Submits that MS

2018 Challenge 1

After mostly completing the Design Your Destiny workshop, I feel like I have a handle on what I want 2018 to bring me, so I'm ready to jump in, tie up some loose ends, and get this year started with a bang, so I'm diving right in. That will make it a six week challenge for me, so while this seems like a lot, I've got plenty of time to accomplish it all.

1. Elimination diet
    1. I'm curious to see how food affects my body so I'm going to follow the elimination diet, not because I think I have allergies per se, but because I want to know what makes me feel good and what doesn't, I ordered the book but haven't gotten it yet, so this will become more specific when I have the book
      • Follow the diet
      • Record my findings
  2. Lymphedema Exercises
    1. I'm trying to manage my primary lymphedema (swelling of the extremities) so I'm doing specific exercises to see what effect they have, it's hard to find specific workout routines so this is all cobbled together based on a lot of internet research. Later this year I'll be working with a therapist for more devoted help I hope, so this is just trying to build the habits
      1. 1 yoga workout/week (6) (specific exercises identified as good for moving lymph, 20 minute session min.)
      2. 1 strength workout/week (upper/lower body Darebee workout, level 1) (6)
      3. 1 aerobic workout/week (6) (2o minute session min. again specific aerobic exercises identified)
      4. Breathing exercises - working up to 4 times/day, 1/day counts for this challenge
        1. Week 1 - 3 days/week
        2. Week 2 - 4 days/week
        3. Week 3 - 5 days/week
        4. Week 4 - 6 days/week
        5. Week 5 & 6 - 7 days/week
  3. Personas
    1. This is a work related task but it's become important to me that I treat my work the way I treat my own personal growth so I can see progress, so this is my starting point.
      1. Spoiler

Finalize personas:

1. Physicians - clinical faculty
        2. Clinical
        3. Non-employees (Contract, registry, etc.)
        4. Physicians - clinical faculty
        5. Clinical
        6. Non-employees (Contract, registry, etc.)
        7. Bonus: Advancing nurse

Compile lists of

1. Questions
        2. Desired Actions

Review lists and identify features to present to next steering meeting and plot on road map Create presentation of features Prepare prioritization exercise

4. FLY Lady Baby Steps (31)
    1. I am tired of CHAOS in my bedroom specifically, so I'm going to follow the program, but focus on my bedroom only to start with. With a master bathroom, a closet, a sleeping area, it's like a small apartment so I think I can make it work. The exact steps are in spoiler because it's 31 items and long...
      1. Spoiler
        1. Shine Sink
        2. Get dressed to shoes, hair and makeup
        3. Above + read emails from FlyLady, launch pad and daily flight plan
        4. Control Journal (write on sticky note to start)
        5. Write down any negative voices you’re hearing and turn them into positive affirmations
        6. 2-minutes in hot spot
        7. Before-bed routine - lay out clothes for tomorrow
        8. Split habits into morning and before-bed routine and add to control journal (3 ring binder/Bullet journal)
        9. Five-minute room rescue (morning routine)
        10. 15 min - gather up all trash; 15 min reading
        11. Add Inspirational Page to Control Journal, 15 minutes of writing favorite inspirational quotes
        12. Delete all FlyLady emails from inbox
        13. Complete a mission from the launch pad
        14. Read essay about using calendar
        15. Add make bed to morning routine
        16. Read morning musing, a testimonial or an Ask Flylady Question
        17. Set your bedtime and add it to your before-bed routine, write down how many hours of sleep you’ll get
        18. Add the Eleven Commandments to your Control Journal
        19. Do your routines, read testimonials
        20. Do a load of laundry from sort to put away
        21. Set timer for 5 minutes and read Ask Flylady
        22. Set timer for 15 minutes and work on Control Journal, read essay build your own control journal in 15 steps
        23. Create After work routine and add to your Control Journal
        24. Add Swish and swipe to morning routine and put away anything on the counter
        25. Read FlyLady’s personal testimonial; do your morning routine and give yourself a gold star
        26. Do your routines
        27. Plan meal for dinner before it’s time to cook it
        28. Add eat good food, drink water, take a break and get your rest to your control journal routines, do them
        29. Do the Weekly Pamper Mission
        30. Look at the calendar for next month, look for birthdays, special events and add items to your shopping list so you’ll be prepared
        31. Check email and do mission in daily individual email; sign up for the FlyWashing emails
  5. Submit manuscript to WOTA
    1. I need to finish this and call it done, even if it means I work on it every single day, which at this rate I may have to. Even if I don't ever write another story, I want to have finished this all the way through. So I have a lot of revision left. Critiques and more revision. Then FINALLY submission to the anthology, so wish me luck!
      1. Spoiler

Revision steps 

1. Of
        2. That
        3. Said
        4. Was
        5. Were
        6. By
        7. His
        8. Her
        9. Very
        10. About
        11. Ing
        12. And
        13. But
        14. Like
        15. Ion
        16. Felt
        17. Hear
        18. Smell
        19. Saw
        20. Taste
        21. Touch
        22. Zombie
        23. Supply
        24. Barely
        25. Read/edit/rewrite
        26. Read outloud/edit/rewrite

Submit to Critters

Rewrite

Submit to WOTA

6. Bonus
    1. List of Doom - complete something off the list
    2. PO Learning - substantive learning; an exercise based on an article/blog, notes from a webinar shared with team, etc.
    3. Idea to Draft class - complete a module
    4. Healthy, Not Boring - post or engage in group
  7. Tracking Habits
    1. 5 habits to track, step count goal (avg 4,500 steps/day) and one post in forums 3x/wk (at least one is a full update)

It seems so much simpler on my grid!

To date Committed Reached
Elimination diet                                                                                                 0 33 0%
Lymphedema Exercises
                                                                                                0 50 0%
Personas                                                                                                 0 11 0%
Baby Steps                                                                                                 0 31 0%
Submit to WOTA                                                                                                 0 30 0%
Bonus                                                                                                      
List of Doom                                                                                                 0 0  
PO Learning                                                                                                 0 0  
Idea to Draft class                                                                                                 0 0  
Healthy, Not Boring                                                                                                 0 0  

Daily grade                                                                                                      
Habit tracker                                                                                                      
Sole                                                                                                 0 0  
Meds                                                                                                 0 0  
Steps/Amerithon                                                                                                 #DIV/0! Avg Steps  
Forum                                                                                                 0 18 0%
Write                                                                                                 0 0  

The last year was about getting in the habit of working on habits. This year is about actually solidifying the good habits and retraining the bad habits, and maybe leveling up a level or two. 

Onward!

• Like 7

Wow! I’m super impressed by your grid. Is it really just a fancy google sheets document or is that just how my phone opened it? Either way, color me impressed.

Also, good luck on all your goals. I’ve done elimination diets before, and though they seem challenging at the beginning, by the end, saying no to Things is so much easier that I realized a lot about how I made food decisions. 

I’m still coming up with mine goals. It’s been a while since I completed a challenge properly. Good luck again!

• Like 4

Ok, I'm officially stalking you and your lovely charts!

I did a layman's version of an elimination diet, and found out how much dairy really messes with me. I never realized how good I can feel without it.

I'm still ironing out my DYD goals for next year. I'll be rooting you along for yours!

• Like 4

What is your elimination diet going to be, exactly? I've feel like I've read about more than one kind. And you get all the points for doing it, because I don't have the patience or focus for that kind of thing. @_@

• Like 4

I love FLylady, and the way she breaks things down. You probably already found it, but they have an app that is also helpful. It has the daily and weekly rountines listed. You can check things off on it and add your own tasks as well. It also delivers the daily missions.

• Like 5

J3NN. I think your challenge looks great. And the FLY lady thing I did a few years back. Its kinda what I base my 5 minutes off of. Looking forward to following to see how you do.

• Like 3

Gosh everyone, my notifications weren't on or something and I missed all these posts! Sorry and thanks! So here is a belated reply to you all.

On 12/24/2017 at 6:07 PM, Hypotheticalfox said:

Is it really just a fancy google sheets document or is that just how my phone opened it? Either way, color me impressed.

This is just Google Sheets, I copied it from @fleaball and made it my own. The color makes a difference for me too, I'm visual and that helps me see if I'm on track or not!

On 12/24/2017 at 6:07 PM, Hypotheticalfox said:

I’ve done elimination diets before, and though they seem challenging at the beginning, by the end, saying no to Things is so much easier that I realized a lot about how I made food decisions. 

I think for a short time I can do anything, especially if it's done in the sake of science to better understand myself. But I did wisely wait until after the holidays to kick this thing off, no need in trying to make myself do it over the holidays, right?

On 12/24/2017 at 6:09 PM, Alis in Abernathy said:

I'm still ironing out my DYD goals for next year. I'll be rooting you along for yours!

Me too, I have my first challenge figured out, and the rest are just floating out there. I'll be doing the monthly reviews Kim provided to keep me on track though! Good luck to you!

On 12/25/2017 at 8:21 PM, fleaball said:

What is your elimination diet going to be, exactly?

I bought the book cleverly titled, "The Elimination Diet" and I'm using the resources they make available on their website. https://wholelifenutrition.net/articles/elimination-diet/free-elimination-diet-resources I just got the book yesterday and I have to be honest I'm a little overwhelmed. I haven't gotten far enough in to figure out how to track this one, but there is journaling every day so I think I might be using that as my points. I won't lie, this is a commitment. I thought I knew what I was getting into, but now that I have the book, it's way more than I even realized. I'm just going to start small and take it from there... I really want to find out if there are things I can understand about why I'm feeling the way I do and so I think this is a good way to approach it and to narrow down if it's nutrition related or if it's, uhm, whatever a good word for mental is...

On 12/26/2017 at 7:42 AM, PixiePrincessPea said:

You probably already found it, but they have an app that is also helpful.

Eee! No, I haven't downloaded the app. I remember hearing about it when she released it, but I forgot about it this time around. Thanks for the reminder! I love that you can customize it, I was trying to figure out what to do for mine... BuJo, Google Docs, Keep... Nope, use the app. Duh, makes sense, thanks!

On 12/26/2017 at 9:12 AM, Bean Sidhe said:

Looking forward to following to see how you do.

Thanks for coming along again!

• Like 5

You seem very well organized, which I find helps me actually complete me goals.

And I was curious about this 'elimination diet' thing so now I've looked it up and may research it further for myself, so thanks. ;) 

Good luck with your challenge!

• Like 4

On 1/2/2018 at 7:22 AM, elinox said:

And I was curious about this 'elimination diet' thing so now I've looked it up and may research it further for myself, so thanks. ;)

I have finished day 2... and they hard and somehow better than I expected all at once. If you drink coffee, definitely don't  quit cold turkey. I thought I was weaning off but I didn't cut back enough, I had a HORRIBLE headache yesterday. Today is better, it's still there, but it's livable. The recipes have been tasty, so that hasn't been bad. It's just a lot of work, so if you're not used to home preparing all your foods, allow extra time... it's definitely not stuff you can toss together quickly for the most part.

Tomorrow I'm back to solid food though, and while this was tasty I do look forward to substance!

A lot of people will just do it and eliminate a specific food instead of doing it all, if you have a hunch you may have a sensitivity it can be a good way to test it I understand.

Good luck on your journey if you decide to try it.

• Like 2

Update:

Elimination diet 2 33 6.06%
Lymphedema Exercises 2 18 11.11%
Abdominal breathing 4 32 12.50%
Personas 0 11 0.00%
Baby Steps 0 31 0.00%
Submit to WOTA 2 30 6.67%

I've sort of fallen off the wagon now that I've started the diet. Detox is over after today I'm hoping my routine will get back to more normal tomorrow and I'll get back on the wagon. 

If I get back on track I'll still be able to make everything, but I've taken away most of my buffer so I'm going to have to really stay on top of things.

Doing the diet is worth it I hope. Maybe I bit off too much with the diet and the exercise and Fly Lady. I was doing so well. I can get back there. I want this. That's why we're all here right? 

Onward.

• Like 3

I got behind on Fly Lady and today I am starting where I was and going forward. The activity today is

"Are you hearing any nagging, negative voices in your head? Things like you’ll never be able to do this or that you don’t deserve a clean, happy, inviting home.

Take a piece of paper and write down what you hear. Then, turn those ugly words around and say something nice to yourself to negate the ugly words that they said. You deserve happiness!"

So I thought I'd hold myself accountable and post my exercise here. I have been having negative thoughts with regards to my challenge so here they are, followed by the affirmation.

Negative thoughts
...about Elimination Diet
I miss some food items and alcohol and coffee.
I am willing to sacrifice so that I can find out what works for my body and what doesn't so I can make better choices to leading a healthy life.

...about flying
I feel like I'm going too slow and not making any progress so I stop doing the baby steps and slide back to doing nothing
I grow in good habits with every forward step I take and I will take it slow and steady to build up.

...about writing
It's taking so much longer than I thought I'm never going to finish.
I know that I can master anything, editing will feel natural for me.

...about exercising
I just don't want to do the workouts. I have everything I need, but I don't want to do it.
I love the way I feel when I take good care of myself, my own well-being is my top priority.

I'll confess I did a search on Google to help me find affirmations, but even though they're stolen, they're modified to fit my statements and the act of writing them out is pretty cathartic.

• Like 3

On 1/3/2018 at 10:00 PM, J3NN said:

I've sort of fallen off the wagon now that I've started the diet. Detox is over after today I'm hoping my routine will get back to more normal tomorrow and I'll get back on the wagon. 

If I get back on track I'll still be able to make everything, but I've taken away most of my buffer so I'm going to have to really stay on top of things.

To be fair, I remember when I had my surgery over a year ago and it mandated what I could and couldn't eat for like 3 months. My energy was crap, my ability to stay on top of things was bad since I felt like I was always hungry and tired. I think the diet may of done something similar to you (Granted, you weren't eating mostly milkshakes this whole time) but now that you are past that part, you will start to feel better and get going forward. I know you well enough to know that you will pick yourself up and get going. Remember, we need to get past the Blerch.

On 1/3/2018 at 10:00 PM, J3NN said:

Doing the diet is worth it I hope. Maybe I bit off too much with the diet and the exercise and Fly Lady. I was doing so well. I can get back there. I want this. That's why we're all here right? 

Did you bit off too much, I don't know. I think maybe, but if so, look at it and decided if you can still do something, but maybe make them smaller bites. With fly lady, instead of focusing on the whole bedroom area, worry about the bathroom first, or the area with the bed. Pick one spot to work on. And the challenge is still very young, so you have time. Same with the exercise, maybe do 1 of the 3 kinds of exercise a week, then add the other 2 later.

11 hours ago, J3NN said:

I got behind on Fly Lady and today I am starting where I was and going forward. The activity today is

"Are you hearing any nagging, negative voices in your head? Things like you’ll never be able to do this or that you don’t deserve a clean, happy, inviting home.

Take a piece of paper and write down what you hear. Then, turn those ugly words around and say something nice to yourself to negate the ugly words that they said. You deserve happiness!"

I Think this is a well timed exercise. Keep it up and if you need to, maybe print them out and leave them where you will see them. Its a reminder that sometimes the trolls in our brain that say we can't do something are WRONG.

11 hours ago, J3NN said:

I'll confess I did a search on Google to help me find affirmations, but even though they're stolen, they're modified to fit my statements and the act of writing them out is pretty cathartic.

They may be stolen, but you made them fit you, which is the most important part. You can do this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, elinox said:

What's your manuscript about and what's 'WOTA'?

My manuscript is for an anthology called "Whispers of the Apocalypse". (volume 2) It's a zombie themed anthology. My story is set after a major earthquake in post apocalyptic times and follows the quiet surveillance heroine on her journey through grieving about the people lost in the earthquake and learning to fight the zombies with her own two hands.

I've never written out my elevator speech for the story, I should work on that. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, J3NN said:

My manuscript is for an anthology called "Whispers of the Apocalypse". (volume 2) It's a zombie themed anthology. My story is set after a major earthquake in post apocalyptic times and follows the quiet surveillance heroine on her journey through grieving about the people lost in the earthquake and learning to fight the zombies with her own two hands.

I've never written out my elevator speech for the story, I should work on that. 

Someone asked me yesterday in my own thread about my latest novel and I felt the same way. "Here's the basic plot" then, cripes that sounds weird... :P 

A zombie anthology, with this story premise, sounds cool. Have you worked on any others?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, elinox said:

Someone asked me yesterday in my own thread about my latest novel and I felt the same way. "Here's the basic plot" then, cripes that sounds weird... :P 

A zombie anthology, with this story premise, sounds cool. Have you worked on any others?

I'll have to go find your thread. 

This is my first attempt at writing fiction... I never thought I could, non-fiction was more my style. But after some influences I decided I really wanted to try it, so I found this anthology call and decided to give it a shot. You've been writing for a while I take it, if this is your "latest novel"?

• Like 2

Just now, J3NN said:

I'll have to go find your thread. 

This is my first attempt at writing fiction... I never thought I could, non-fiction was more my style. But after some influences I decided I really wanted to try it, so I found this anthology call and decided to give it a shot. You've been writing for a while I take it, if this is your "latest novel"?

I'm a writer, deep in my bones. Not a particularly verbose one, as I follow the "brevity is the sole of wit" mentality. heh I started writing fiction back in college, mostly with fanfiction at first. Then I wrote an original novel, which likely won't be read by anyone ever! :P Then I participated in, and won, National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) back in 2015 with my novel 'House of Red". I went on to self-publish it this past May. 

In November, I did NaNo again and won it with my latest book 'Bonita Blue'. It's in the first round of my editing it now. 

I tend to write stories that I would enjoy reading in the fantasy genre. 

Any my thread's in my signature. ;) 

• Like 3

Here's my update:

Elimination diet - I'm half way through phase 2, the elimination phase. I've lost 7.4 lbs. Some of the recipes are really good. It is SO MUCH WORK though. I'm not feeling much different. I don't know if I'm supposed to or not.  Maybe that comes later in phase 3.

Lymphedema Exercises - I'm giving this one a pass because of the diet and the average daily step count that I'm working on bringing up. My goal is 4500 and I'm at 4222, and it's raining today and tomorrow. I think I'll be okay on the steps, and will work out when I want, but not count it.

Abdominal breathing - I'm doing this more regularly and today, even though it was cold, I found myself warm, even hot at times, so I wonder if my circulation is showing signs of improvement because of the breathing... It's an interesting correlation.

Personas - I had two meetings scheduled this week, one was rescheduled to next week, but I will still make some progress on this later this week.

Baby Steps - I'm doing okay, not great, I've missed a few days, but I just keep picking up where I'm at like her advice touts.

Submit to WOTA - I read an entire novella for a critique, hopefully I'll get good credit for that. I made some progress on my own ms I'm behind on this though. The cooking has cut into my editing time.

Today I have a headache so I'm turning in early I think.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Feel better. It looks like you are well on your way for making your goals. Just keep trying. And that step goal will get there.

I feel much better today, thank you. I may need to go take a walk in the rain today, I thought it was clearing up, but it looks like it's back for a while, so that was a false alarm.

hope you're doing well too, thanks for checking in!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, J3NN said:

I feel much better today, thank you. I may need to go take a walk in the rain today, I thought it was clearing up, but it looks like it's back for a while, so that was a false alarm.

I am glad you are feeling better. I am sorry the rain won't clear off. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

4 hours ago, J3NN said:

hope you're doing well too, thanks for checking in!

I am doing okay. Thanks for asking, and I always try to check in. I may not always make it, but I try.

• Like 3

Update, I can't believe it's already Thursday night, Thank God. Not that it was a bad week...

Elimination diet - It's been much more work than I allowed for, but it's been really good. I can wear my wedding ring again. On the rainy days I was able to put on my boots, with thick socks and wear them all day comfortably. (before, I could only wear nylons, and I could only fit in them if I put them on early in the day, and only sometimes at that) At my lowest point I'd lost 11.2 lbs, I've gained a couple back though. I only have 5 days left in phase 2 and then we start reintroduction. That phase could take 2 1/2 months, yikes. I didn't realize that when I committed to this. 22 items, 3-4 days each. I have to sit down this weekend and figure out the recipes for this phase and what order to do things in. I messed up and was taking a vitamin with nightshades so I have to delay reintroduction to that. With this part coming to an end and seeing the weight loss success it makes me wonder if I can/should keep doing this, or if I transition to a Mediterranean  or DASH diet with some splurges... Still thinking through this. I discovered fried honey bananas though and I'm in love.
Lymphedema Exercises
Abdominal breathing - I had the weirdest experience with the rainy days. I dressed for cold, rainy days and I was SO hot, not like me at all. I tend to always run cold, I wear sweaters in the summertime if there's air conditioning. But I was ready to run around in a tshirt, but of course was dressed in sweaters and layers. I have no idea why this happened, but I wondered if it was because the abdominal breathing is helping my circulation and so I'm not running as cold as I used to.
Personas - Had a meeting today, only two people showed up, boo, but that was good because we were able to get through things and almost finished, so of the 9 personas, four of them are done now, so that's awesome. Yay team.
Baby Steps - I've been struggling with this and I've been reflecting on why. It's not the work. It's not the desire. It's the current routine and what doing this new routine would do to my old happy, comfy routine. And it's the food preparation for dinner,and lunches every night. This week, I've also been having headaches every night and so that hasn't helped. I have an eye exam Saturday to get an updated prescription. My hope that will resolve the headaches. But, regarding the Baby Steps, I'm at 26% after three weeks I'm at 42%, so this clearly isn't working for me. My morning routine is really tight, so I don't want to mess with that. So I'm wondering about using her Weekly Home Blessing hour concept and making my own routine to work into the weekends. Maybe for me, spreading things out daily isn't the right way, but I don't want to not do them... What works for the rest of you?
Submit to WOTA - And here, to what was supposed to be my major focus, we find the biggest failure. I'm at 13% of my  editing goal. Same reasons exist here as for the Baby Steps. Mostly the headaches. This weekend is crazy busy so I won't get caught up. Maybe next week will be better after I get new glasses and the headaches stop. If I did one step a day I wouldn't catch up so I'll have to do some serious makeup, and each step is taking me longer than I'd hoped so it's very time consuming.

Here's my grid:

Elimination diet 10 33 30%
Lymphedema Exercises 3 18 17%
Abdominal breathing 12 32 38%
Personas 1 11 9%
Baby Steps 8 31 26%
Submit to WOTA 4 30 13%
Bonus      
List of Doom 0 0  
PO Learning 0 0  
Idea to Draft class 0 0  
Healthy, Not Boring 6 0  
Hand Lettering 1 0  
Habit tracker      
Sole 16 0  
Meds 17 0  
Steps/Amerithon 3,998
4,500 avg

Forum 9 18 50%
Write 0 0  

So, that's where I'm at. Checking in helps me think it through and decide what's working and what I need to focus on...now if I could just do that focus part.

• Like 5