Stardust Starts Anew

Stardust

giphy.gif

Jumping on board with the Rebels this time around.

So on 12/31, I turn 30.  And the progress I wanted to have in my life has fallen by the wayside a long, long time ago.  Of the last three challenges I've dropped out on precisely all of them, for various reasons.  The reasoning was legitimate enough, it's been a real rollercoaster of a season with some health scares and various stressful events.  But it's getting to a stage where I'm using them as a crutch for bad habits, and if I continue this way I'm going to end up living on a diet of bitterness and regret, never getting anywhere I actually want to go.  I need a full overhaul.

So here I am, I guess.  I've still got some stressful things going on, they're testing me for celiac at the moment, I'm getting bloods in a few days.  But there's plenty of things I need to do that I can direct my focus to other things right now until that gets sorted.  And no matter what, once I've got these bloods out of the way I'm cutting a lot of that stuff out of my diet so I should feel tons better than I do now.  

I'm starting to reach the age where I need to really start taking care of myself, or I notice it.  Youth isn't going to see me through the worst bits like it has in the past, I need to be more mindful.  So I'm breaking it down into three categories:  Health-care, Self-care, and Wealth-care.  At least one goal per challenge in each category, is the aim.

Health-care

GOAL - Walk 5000 steps a day

I have a Garmin Vivofit 3, and I love my Garmin.  6 months ago I was walking 7500 steps a day and really making progress to getting back to the level of fitness I used to have when I was walking all day almost every day.  5000 steps isn't hard, it's literally half of the recommended daily step count.  I can walk laps inside if I have to, but I have to do the walking.

GOAL - No processed sugar

I had this down for so long.  I didn't fall of the wagon, I stood up and walked off with full knowledge of what I was doing.  Processed sugar doesn't agree with me, it tanks my mood and makes me grumpy and miserable all day.  It also pushes cravings for more of the stuff.  I don't need it and if I'm honest with myself, I don't even really want it.

Self-care

GOAL - Shower every day

There's a lot of stuff out there about how you shouldn't shower every day, but the facts are that I sweat quite a lot and I feel so much better after a shower.  I'm trying to lower my stress levels and taking a shower really does help with that.  So showering every day should happen.

Wealth-care

GOAL - $10 in savings every payday

I need to sort out my savings.  I have no emergency funds and I've ended up screwed on some serious things recently.  At least $10 goes into my savings every payday.  And it stays there unless I have to make a payment on something necessary.  No frivolous stuff.

Little baby steps, but so far the only sustainable change I've made is that I quit smoking.  Which is huge, but only one change in the last 18 months that's stuck.  And I've made a lot of changes.  So let's start from the bottom.

• Like 8

You're a ghost driving a meat coated skeleton made from stardust.  What do you have to be afraid of?

Current Challenge - Starting Anew

Oh my god. I'm two months younger than you and somehow it never occurred to me that part of my problem is just that I'm getting older. Thanks for pointing that out. I feel dumb. 

Aaaanyway. Happy early birthday! Sorry to hear about the crap life has thrown your way, but yay for coming back to rebound. :)

• Like 2

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

2 hours ago, fleaball said:

Oh my god. I'm two months younger than you and somehow it never occurred to me that part of my problem is just that I'm getting older. Thanks for pointing that out. I feel dumb. 

Aaaanyway. Happy early birthday! Sorry to hear about the crap life has thrown your way, but yay for coming back to rebound. :)

I actually didn't realise it to begin with either!  "I'm getting old." has become a common catchphrase for me over the last few years, and I didn't actually stop and think, no, actually, I AM getting old, until the last few months, where things took a major downswing.  Really shows in food as well, junk and refined/processed foods in general just don't sit well with my stomach, my system can't handle them like I did when I was younger.

Thanks!  Just gotta keep on keeping on, right?  2018 is the turnaround year :D 

• Like 2

You're a ghost driving a meat coated skeleton made from stardust.  What do you have to be afraid of?

31 year old here. Welcome to the club. At least you realized that as you age your body just needs better care on your own. Sometime last year when I went into the doctor complaining of shoulder soreness, worried something was wrong because I didn’t used to be so achy and whatnot, he told me pretty bluntly that I was just getting older and should expect some of that. He was right of course. I can’t wxpect to bounce back from everything like I’ve done in the past.

I like your goal and how concrete and manageable they are. I’m also going to have a goal with no processed sugar. I’ve done it before and I do feel better, but I just get too tempted long, long term.

Good luck!

• Like 3

There's a moment at the end of every year when life tries to stop me from doing things I want or need to be doing.  This year, that moment was when I picked up my Garmin this morning and the battery had died.  Of course we have no standard watch batteries lying around, so I'm gonna have to figure out getting hold of one.  Yay adventures!

Edit:  Lucky I checked the battery needed, can't find the right ones in any store today!  So now the estimated delivery time is 5th Jan, cause I could only find them online.  Means I'm lacking my Garmin for the next week or so, and I'm stuck with the pedometer on my phone.  Luckily, my Huawei is more reliable on that front than my old Samsung was!

• Like 2

Followed you here from the Perth thread :P

I am such a nerd but I saw the I'm not here to be AVERAGE I'm here to be AWESOME part first and was all 

latest?cb=20150628150257

then I saw that you have a cross stitch sampler to finish and went 

giphy.gif

(I have an embroidery sampler I want to start and work on this year)

Just remember that a) quitting smoking is a huge difference, go you! And b ) all these little baby steps lead somewhere.

You got this!

• Like 2

Level 1 Adventurer

Quest for Adventure

Took the road less traveled. Now lost.

52 minutes ago, pureleeawesome said:

Followed you here from the Perth thread :P

giphy.gif

I never mind a bit of healthy stalking! :D 

Yaaaaaaas craft buds for life!  I've been dismally inattentive to my cross stitch this year, I'm working on seasonal kitty samplers and I've been working on Spring for almost a year now.  When it's done it'll look something like...

0ec994997398ba386cdc373da9400455.jpg

..this!  I'm well over halfway done with it, I just need to finish it so I can move on to other projects.  I refuse to learn to crochet until I've finished this sampler!

Thanks for the encouragement :D  never enough of that!

• Like 2

I'm about 8 double spread pages deep into new year bullet journal territory, great way to kill time on a day so hot our cold air isn't keeping up.  I like our ducted air unit, but sometimes I really wish it was AC.

• Like 2

GOAL - No processed sugar
I had this down for so long.  I didn't fall of the wagon, I stood up and walked off with full knowledge of what I was doing.  Processed sugar doesn't agree with me, it tanks my mood and makes me grumpy and miserable all day.  It also pushes cravings for more of the stuff.  I don't need it and if I'm honest with myself, I don't even really want it.

Joining you in this one!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

• Like 3

Lvl 1: Adventurer with monk ambitions

Current weight: 123,3 KG.   Target weight: 85KG

giphy.gif

I never mind a bit of healthy stalking! [emoji3] 

Yaaaaaaas craft buds for life!  I've been dismally inattentive to my cross stitch this year, I'm working on seasonal kitty samplers and I've been working on Spring for almost a year now.  When it's done it'll look something like...

0ec994997398ba386cdc373da9400455.jpg

..this!  I'm well over halfway done with it, I just need to finish it so I can move on to other projects.  I refuse to learn to crochet until I've finished this sampler!

Thanks for the encouragement [emoji3]  never enough of that!

You can't name crochet without me jumping in :D I was lurking here already but lazy in answering...

I love your sampler, will you hang it in your home when you are done?
  • Like 2

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

6 minutes ago, Diadhuit said:

You can't name crochet without me jumping in :D I was lurking here already but lazy in answering...

I love your sampler, will you hang it in your home when you are done?

I'm usually the resident lurker :D  always fun to meet more!

I think so, it's one of a set of four so I'd like to finish them all ideally, then I can frame and hang them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pureleeawesome said:

What is this bujo witchcraft? Yours is so nicely put together.

I'm terrible at art. :(

Tomorrow it begins (officially)! Have a good NYE's :)

They're shamelessly copied from the internet, I've not been very artistic for the last decade or so and I want to stretch those creative muscles more this year, so a little copywork is a good start.

It's my birthday today, haha, so I plan to!  You too :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

03b7ca0ef05aa07f2907dee6a7baeb2ac1115bfd

Happy birthday from the past! And happy new year (in about five and a half hours for me).

Your bullet journal is awesome. Mine is sadly collecting dust...

Thankyou and thankyou :) 

Mine was for a while as well, it's been pulled back out for an overhaul and refocus this year.  The last couple of months of last year hit some real sour notes and it messed with me quite badly emotionally and mentally, having somewhere to focus my energies helps.

• Like 2

You know the downside of starting a new challenge in summer when you're so fat? Doing literally anything is an uphill struggle!  

That being said, I hit my targets (barely)!

It's odd though, because in my head I should feel better about the success of the day.  Especially with it being the new year when everything is fresh and shiny all around.  I'm just kinda meh and chill.  Which is better than sad or grumpy, I guess.  Just observations on mood.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stardust said:

It's odd though, because in my head I should feel better about the success of the day. 

I think a lot of us have this part of our brain that's always saying we should be doing better. Which turns our successes into something that doesn't feel so successful. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

18 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I think a lot of us have this part of our brain that's always saying we should be doing better. Which turns our successes into something that doesn't feel so successful. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's a symptom of my Too Much Gene.  Not knowing what's reasonable is a recurring theme of my life in general :P

• Like 1

Tapped out on my steps today, but in fairness the reason I tapped out was it was just too hot.  Even hydrated and fed I had absolutely no energy, my feline instincts kicked in and I just wanted to laze around.  So I managed 3200 ish and then I couldn't find my get up and go.

Cool showers are glorious, but the heat kills my appetite so I skipped dinner.  I already ate a reasonable chunk of calories today, a couple hundred wasn't a huge difference.

Groceries arriving tomorrow.  I was given a Christmas/birthday present of a monstrosity of a food processor, so all my frozen fruits and chia seeds have been ordered for that breakfast smoothie goodness.  Yeah, I know that you get more nutritional benefit from the whole fruit but smoothies are just delicious and easier to manage in the summer for me.  This is the season of not much eating, so whatever keeps my calories healthy and stable I'm okay with.

• Like 3