Stardust Starts Anew

Stardust

2 hours ago, Stardust said:

Yeah, I know that you get more nutritional benefit from the whole fruit but smoothies are just delicious and easier to manage in the summer for me.

Breakfast smoothies! <3

You actually get about the same nutritional benefit with a (homemade) smoothie. You aren't taking anything away from the fruit. With juicing, you start losing nutritional benefit because you're removing the fibrous bits, and the juice loses potency over time (how long you can safely store the juice depends on how you make it, most at home juicing stuff doesn't stay fresh for very long so it's not an issue). Anything pre-made from the store, you aren't going to get much from it (and they like to add a lot of unnecessary things).

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

1 hour ago, pureleeawesome said:

Yeah this heat's got me down too.

Nice Chrissie gift!

Yeah, sneaky bugger my Dad is.  I mentioned briefly once in conversation that if I had a food processor I could make a whole mess of things.  I don't even know how he managed to sneak the box into the house without me noticing, the thing is huge!

11 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Breakfast smoothies! <3

You actually get about the same nutritional benefit with a (homemade) smoothie. You aren't taking anything away from the fruit. With juicing, you start losing nutritional benefit because you're removing the fibrous bits, and the juice loses potency over time (how long you can safely store the juice depends on how you make it, most at home juicing stuff doesn't stay fresh for very long so it's not an issue). Anything pre-made from the store, you aren't going to get much from it (and they like to add a lot of unnecessary things).

You've got a fair point, I'm adjusted to my mother's stream of logic where it doesn't have to make sense, as long as she read it once on a blog somewhere then it's gospel truth.  I've stopped giving reasonable and rational thought to these things, and stopped discussing them with her altogether since she hops from one fad diet to the next no matter what advice I give her.

And yeah, not a fan of store bought much at all.  I get the whole, we need certain preservatives in our diet, jazz.  But if I can make something myself from scratch, then I prefer to make it from scratch.  I like to know what's going into my stomach, instead of a string of e-numbers.  Especially as my digestive system is changing.  Good ol' age, I'm cutting gluten and lactose from my diet because I just can't tolerate them anymore, celiac or no celiac.

• Like 3

You're a ghost driving a meat coated skeleton made from stardust.  What do you have to be afraid of?

Current Challenge - Starting Anew

1 hour ago, Tateman said:

You think 30 is bad, just wait till you turn 40! ;) 

I don't doubt it in the slightest.  But I've suffered with joint issues since I was 17, and muscular problems a few years before that.  30 is just the point where I'm noticing more significant impact of external stimuli on my physical wellbeing, and I'm all too keenly aware that it's all downhill from here.  So the faster I adapt to the situation, the better :) 

• Like 2

You're a ghost driving a meat coated skeleton made from stardust.  What do you have to be afraid of?

New year's lesson one:  Walking, 30+ degree (100+ F) weather and 163kg bodies just do not mix.  I've skipped over half my walking the last two days because it's strenuous enough to dehydrate me in minutes.  I'm a heavy sweat-er at this size, it doesn't mix.

In the spirit of my word of the year, acceptance, I'm going to accept that this was a mistaken goal to set for this time of year.  I'll try my best but if I don't get there, then I just don't get there.  Beating myself up about it and calling it failure just discourages the desire to keep trying.

• Like 2

New year's lesson one:  Walking, 30+ degree (100+ F) weather and 163kg bodies just do not mix.  I've skipped over half my walking the last two days because it's strenuous enough to dehydrate me in minutes.  I'm a heavy sweat-er at this size, it doesn't mix.

In the spirit of my word of the year, acceptance, I'm going to accept that this was a mistaken goal to set for this time of year.  I'll try my best but if I don't get there, then I just don't get there.  Beating myself up about it and calling it failure just discourages the desire to keep trying.

Ugh, that's no fun :(
I got issues with that temperature even with less weight.

Are you sure you have to give it up? Or adjuting it to reality could work?

Can you start with shorter, slower walks? Maybe in the dusk or twilight? Or maybe at the mall if it is fresher :D

I once used to walk 1h in front of the tv, makes it easier to distract from the idea that I was walking :)

If you can't do 5000 steps, maybe try 2000?

You were doing great, don't give up just yet :) accept that body/weather is not working out, and adapt :)
If there is someone who can do it, it is you!
  • Like 2

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

11 minutes ago, Diadhuit said:

Ugh, that's no fun :(
I got issues with that temperature even with less weight.

Are you sure you have to give it up? Or adjuting it to reality could work?

Can you start with shorter, slower walks? Maybe in the dusk or twilight? Or maybe at the mall if it is fresher :D

I once used to walk 1h in front of the tv, makes it easier to distract from the idea that I was walking :)

If you can't do 5000 steps, maybe try 2000?

You were doing great, don't give up just yet :) accept that body/weather is not working out, and adapt :)
If there is someone who can do it, it is you!

That's what the "I'll try my best but if I don't get there, I don't get there" means.  I'm accepting that it's an unrealistic goal at the current time and just rolling with it.

• Like 2

That's what the "I'll try my best but if I don't get there, I don't get there" means.  I'm accepting that it's an unrealistic goal at the current time and just rolling with it.

Ah, sorry, doh! I read it as 'I tried my best etc.' and thought you were giving up the goal...
Yes! You can do the realistic version of the set goal :)
  • Like 2

Because the universe can't let me settle my goals in peace, the courses I was using to get a beginning grasp on japanese before progressing out have been abruptly placed behind a paywall.  Marvellous.

I'm sure there's another couple of dozen resources out there for me to utilise instead, but a few hours of research didn't produce any that really resonated with me.  So, Italian on duolingo for now.  I might pick up Japanese later, I'm fond of languages and given the option I'd learn all of the hundreds there are (Wonder Woman was omnilingual, why can't I? :P ) but one at a time.  And duolingo is balls garbage for asian languages, personal opinion.

• Like 1

Because the universe can't let me settle my goals in peace, the courses I was using to get a beginning grasp on japanese before progressing out have been abruptly placed behind a paywall.  Marvellous.

I'm sure there's another couple of dozen resources out there for me to utilise instead, but a few hours of research didn't produce any that really resonated with me.  So, Italian on duolingo for now.  I might pick up Japanese later, I'm fond of languages and given the option I'd learn all of the hundreds there are (Wonder Woman was omnilingual, why can't I? [emoji14] ) but one at a time.  And duolingo is balls garbage for asian languages, personal opinion.

Sorry about Japanese courses behind a paywall.
If you are focusing on Italian instead, I offer my help as an Italian if you are ever stuck or have questions :)
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Diadhuit said:

Sorry about Japanese courses behind a paywall.
If you are focusing on Italian instead, I offer my help as an Italian if you are ever stuck or have questions :)

Thankyou!  :)  Right now the only thing I'm having issue with is trilling my R's, I have the more guttural sound of the germanic languages easily, but the tip of my tongue doesn't trill.  Lots of practice ahead!

• Like 1

Thankyou!  [emoji4]  Right now the only thing I'm having issue with is trilling my R's, I have the more guttural sound of the germanic languages easily, but the tip of my tongue doesn't trill.  Lots of practice ahead!
Now I am so concious about my R (I live in Ireland, just to add it up)!
It is similar to when elderly cough badly, just more on the tongue :D
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Stardust said:

Depending on where you are SOR, the Rockingham foreshore has a long footpath that's mostly shaded and you get the nice afternoon breeze.

My ex and I used to go Pokemon hunting there. 

• Like 1

Level 1 Adventurer

Quest for Adventure

Took the road less traveled. Now lost.

1 hour ago, pureleeawesome said:

Depending on where you are SOR, the Rockingham foreshore has a long footpath that's mostly shaded and you get the nice afternoon breeze.

My ex and I used to go Pokemon hunting there. 

Alas I'm the other way out by the hills.  Real close to Lesmurdie Falls though, I could walk there in about half an hour or so on a good day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diadhuit said:

Now I am so concious about my R (I live in Ireland, just to add it up)!
It is similar to when elderly cough badly, just more on the tongue :D

Every time I'm trying to pronounce regazzo/regazza (because that's where I am learning) I'm so conscious of my R haha.  Just gotta keep practicing I think!

• Like 1

I've seriously overdone it today.  Didn't hit my walking goal at all, but I definitely bust up my back bad.

Honestly, I crashed and burnes pretty hard, it's been a colossal fuckup of a day.  I slept terribly, horrible nightmares, and it just screwed the entire day for me.

Tomorrow the sun will rise on a new day, and it starts all over again.  But today is pretty much a total write off

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, Stardust said:

I've seriously overdone it today.  Didn't hit my walking goal at all, but I definitely bust up my back bad.

Honestly, I crashed and burnes pretty hard, it's been a colossal fuckup of a day.  I slept terribly, horrible nightmares, and it just screwed the entire day for me.

Tomorrow the sun will rise on a new day, and it starts all over again.  But today is pretty much a total write off

Ouch :( Bad days happen from time to time. Hopefully, tomorrow can be much better for you

• Like 1
On 12/24/2017 at 10:48 PM, Stardust said:

GOAL - No processed sugar

I had this down for so long.  I didn't fall of the wagon, I stood up and walked off with full knowledge of what I was doing.  Processed sugar doesn't agree with me, it tanks my mood and makes me grumpy and miserable all day.  It also pushes cravings for more of the stuff.  I don't need it and if I'm honest with myself, I don't even really want it.

Dude. Sugar is that bad boyfriend. You know you shouldn't go out with him but you find yourself at his doorstep..... 

Loving the "care" feel to your challenge! Goooooood luck! 

• Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

1 hour ago, Butternut said:

Dude. Sugar is that bad boyfriend. You know you shouldn't go out with him but you find yourself at his doorstep..... 

Loving the "care" feel to your challenge! Goooooood luck! 

Yeah, after 6 months of merry go rounds with my (now ex) fiance, I'm not game for any more unhealthy relationships!

3 hours ago, Tateman said:

Ouch :( Bad days happen from time to time. Hopefully, tomorrow can be much better for you

So far so good, apart from the 32 missed calls from my mother when I woke up this morning.  Whoops!  

iqw0t.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stardust said:

apart from the 32 missed calls from my mother when I woke up this morning.  Whoops!  

Oh no! Is everything ok?

• Like 1

"One should eat to live, not live to eat." -Molaire-

"People always forget their hangover" -My dear ol' dad

"People are born to live, while some are born to evolve." 

5 minutes ago, Butternut said:

Oh no! Is everything ok?

Yeah, lol.  I'm trying to rest my damn bioclock.  I'm a morning person and my ex was literally half a world away, so scheduling got a bit screwy because I was staying up late but still getting up early.  Ending things means I kept the staying up late part, but the melancholy shifted my wake-up time to about 10am.  Not okay for someone who gets seriously crabby if she wakes up after 8:30 at the VERY latest, because then half the day is wasted!

So with Mum being back in the UK and me being over here, she was just heading to bed around when I wanted to be up so she spam called me.  Naturally my skype decided that today it was NOT going to make any sound for those calls and I slept through 32 attempts.  She found this hilarious after I'd specifically said I was a light sleeper for calls and would likely answer on the first one!

• Like 2

A strained trapezius is just what I wanted to have!  

That's the neck muscle that runs down the spine, and facilitates the up and down motions.  Not only that but because of where it is, I feel the burn from lifting my arms, turning my head, adjusting my posture, walking.  Almost anything.  You don't appreciate your neck until it screws you.

I'm building a ladder slowly.  Right now I'm focusing on getting out of bed every day, making sure I don't overwork the muscles and make them worse.  The worst part is bedtime.  I can't get comfy enough to sleep at a decent time and I'm pretty sure having to mooch until I'm exhausted.  But getting there.  

• Like 3