Maigs Does the Unthinkable

Maigs

Holy cow we're at the tail end of 2017, getting ready to roar into 2018. Seems like a good time for a recap:

Spoiler

When I graduated high school and got married in 2004 I weighed somewhere between 150-160. Then I gained 5-10lbs a year while I went through college, moved across the country, moved half-way back across the country, got my Masters degree, and took the CPA exam. So I ended up in September of 2012 weighing a whopping 222.4lbs. Once I was done with my last test I got on track with a tentative goal of weighing 160lbs. Over the next 10ish months I lost 40lbs to get down to 182. Then I stalled. Then I gained back 15lbs over the next 3 years. I went into 2016 weighing 195, dangerously close to my "I'll never weigh this fucking much again" number of 200lbs which which coincidentally is right about where I cross into the "obese" BMI category. I joined Nerdfitness (or more correctly, rejoined after a failed attempt a few years before) in 2016 and I got down to 165. In 2017 I basically stalled. I got as low as 158 (!!) but I'm still carrying more fat than I want and made almost no progress of getting rid of it. So I'm ending 2017 weighing somewhere between 160-165.

It's also a good time to evaluate my long term goals:

Spoiler

I split my goals into three categories: Health/Fitness, Hippy Goals, and Adult Goals. In no particular order:

Health/Fitness:

• Run a sub-30 minute 5k
  • Get to goal body size (under 20% bodyfat, 145ish lbs?)
  • Be able to easily do standard pushups (currently I can barely do any knee pushups)
  • Get more steps that 2017 (was at 3.3M a couple of weeks ago)
  • Squat plates (135lbs)
  • Make eating healthy a habit, not something I have to work on and struggle with daily

Hippy Goals

• Line Dry one load of laundry a month
  • Get to where the bike is my primary mode of transportation.
    • Initial goal of biking to work 1x/week
    • Shooting for no more than 10k miles on my car for the year even though it's the road trip car
  • Use less electricity and gas than in 2017
  • Work to minimize physical mail (get off any and all mailing lists)

Adult Goals

• Get down to just the mortgage and student loans
  • Finish remodeling the house (bathroom, trim, and kitchen backsplash)
  • Landscape
  • Finish decluttering
  • Finish home inventory (after my in-laws house fire I learned this is a good thing to have)
  • Keep an eye out for a more meaningful job

So what does all this mean for this challenge?

Food

I'm dong the unthinkable and giving up sweets. I can't have them in moderation and it's much easier for me to not allow them at all (knowing and accepting there will be slip ups) than to try and occasionally eat a reasonable amount. There's a small amount of ice cream in the house that we'll probably finish off before the end of the year and then that's it, I'm done. I will not buy any for home that I'd be tempted to eat (Hubs likes stuff that I won't eat so I'll buy those for him). I will decline any treats brought into work. Years ago I was addicted to Dr Pepper, and I gave it up. After a year I had basically conquered it, and after 4 years I realized I didn't even like it anymore and now only occasionally crave it as a comfort food (usually when sick). So I'm hoping that will happen with sweets too.

I'm upping my calorie goal in order to help refrain from sweets. I had been shooting for 1600-1700. Now I'm shooting for 1800-2000.

Lifting

Still aiming for 2 lifting sessions a week. Sunday and Thursday.

Running

Same as lifting; aiming for 2 runs a week, Saturday and Wednesday. I have a 10k trail run scheduled for January 20th but I'm not at all ready and will probably downgrade to the 5k. If they had a longer run going (like a half marathon) I might stick with the 10k but I don't want them sending out a search party for me when I'm the last person out there....by a lot. There's another 10k I'll probably sign up for in March but it has a half so I won't be the last person out.

Biking

Since it's still cold I'm starting this one slow. My goal is to bike to work once a week. It's less than 3 miles so it shouldn't be a big deal as long as I plan ahead for weather. I also just bought one of these electric front wheels as my Xmas present to myself so hopefully that will help get me to ride more often.

Sushi List

I'm totally stealing @Xena's sushi list idea. Hopefully it will help me keep up with small nagging to-do's

Finish updating my resume so it's ready in case I find a job I want to apply for

Buy new vanity, medicine cabinet, toilet, and lights for the bathroom

Inventory bedroom items

Take donations to appropriate places

Groom the dog at least once (brush, nails, and ears)

Ask USPS about opting out of mailers

Fix my spreadsheets where old stuff is in one file, new stuff in another, and any house related stuff in another. Right now it's pretty haphazard

• Like 6

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

This looks like a good challenge. I'll be following.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Following!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Welcome everyone! Kinda amazed how many people stick around when I've so bad at participating on these forums lately.

I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays. We stuck with our tradition of going out for Japanese on Christmas. We're not doing "normal" Christmas until this weekend when we go home to see family. I'll actually be out of state for the first few days of the challenge.

Yesterday I ate decently. I finished off my Ben & Jerry's Pint Slices (yummy) so now we just have some Rocky Road ice cream to get through. I had leftovers for lunch while Hubs had his traditional ham. Then we went to a Japanese restaurant and I got an appetizer and two sushi rolls (plus lots of Hub's veggies).

I had thought about getting the bike out to try out my new electric wheel but it was so cold. As in my parking brake in my car literally froze shut. We almost couldn't get sushi because of it but it finally thawed enough to break loose.

• Like 2

Following!

On 24/12/2017 at 9:01 PM, Maigahane said:

H

Biking

Since it's still cold I'm starting this one slow. My goal is to bike to work once a week. It's less than 3 miles so it shouldn't be a big deal as long as I plan ahead for weather. I also just bought one of these electric front wheels as my Xmas present to myself so hopefully that will help get me to ride more often.

That sounds amazing, let us know how it works.  I looked into the full electric conversion kits at one point but they seemed really clunky or expensive; this looks much simpler.

11 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I had thought about getting the bike out to try out my new electric wheel but it was so cold. As in my parking brake in my car literally froze shut. We almost couldn't get sushi because of it but it finally thawed enough to break loose.

*shudders* If it is too cold for your car, it is reasonable to say it is too cold for your bike.  We've been touching -32 this week too.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

9 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

That sounds amazing, let us know how it works.  I looked into the full electric conversion kits at one point but they seemed really clunky or expensive; this looks much simpler.

I will let you know! If it ever warms up enough to play on it. Not that I'm complaining too much, the last two winters haven't been real winters so I'm actually happy that it's cold and there's snow right now

9 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

*shudders* If it is too cold for your car, it is reasonable to say it is too cold for your bike.  We've been touching -32 this week too.

This is the first winter I've driven this car so it may just be a thing. I'll have it checked out in a couple of weeks when I get the oil changed. It might be why the last person traded it in in November :) We haven't been quite that cold. This morning it was -12F (-24C) when I woke up*. It was still positive temps on Christmas when my brake first stuck

*I got to play the game of "How many layers can Maigs wear and still look semi-professional?" The answer is thermal leggings, dress pants, tank top, and a long sleeved shirt that's made out of a long-john type material but just squeezes by as good enough for business casual. I have a hoodie I can wear over it at work and everyone will understand because the windows in this building leak pretty badly. Plus my trail running shoes that are actually made for snow/ice since no one seems to pay attention to my feet :D 

• Like 1

Week Zero - Tuesday

Food: Breakfast - PB&J Oatmeal; Lunch - Leftover Ramen, blueberries; Dinner - Pasta casserole, carrots in dip; Snacks - doritos, ice cream (hey, I gotta get it gone before New Years right?), and a small amount of popcorn. Calories - no idea. I don't make the casserole much so I don't have it logged as a recipe in MFP. Edit: I lied, it's in there, I just can't spell apparently. Calories seem to be about 2150 for the day

Since I'm out of town for 6 days starting at the end of the week I'm not worried too much about getting my workouts in beforehand (that's my excuse, not because it's really freaking cold :) ) so I did not run or lift. Instead Hubs and I ran around and bought some last minute gifts and stuff for the trip. Oh, and my house is clean (other than vacuuming, it always needs vacuumed, even if I just got done vacuuming).

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

Oh, and my house is clean (other than vacuuming, it always needs vacuumed, even if I just got done vacuuming).

I feel this so hard.  We have three dogs and we live in a beach town, so our entire back yard is sand.  It doesn't matter if you did it 5 minutes ago, someone is dragging it back in.

• Like 1

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

Week Zero - Wednesday

Aka: you're doing it wrong

Food - Well I had no sweets, but I had too many salty snacks instead. I'm blaming most of it on Hubs ( :) ) since he bought a freaking popcorn tin when we were out Tuesday and said he doesn't like the butter flavored ones (he really just buys them for the caramel corn which I think is nasty).

Breakfast - PB&J oatmeal; Snacks - chips; Lunch - leftover ramen; Dinner - Chipotle (I forgot the tortilla is 300 freaking calories so I got a 1000cal burrito instead of a 700cal bowl *kicks self*), half of the crown & cherry coke hubs made (what? We bought mini crown bottles that came with mini crown bags that are perfect for 2-3 sets of dice); Snacks - way too much butter popcorn which is luckily the lowest calorie one. Total calories - about 2400

I did not workout or run but I did do some packing for the trip and groomed the dog. He still needs his nails trimmed but he was thoroughly traumatized by getting his ears cleaned so I decided to wait a day. Oh, and I bought tickets for my first concert in 5 years (and second in 12 years). Avenged Sevenfold, Breaking Benjamin, and Bullet for my Valentine

• Like 1

OMG CUTE FLOOF ALERT!!! I love your dog!!

Kudos to you for tracking on a holiday week.  You have more willpower than me.  Also, tortillas are the devil.  haha.

• Like 1

Thank you! He's the cutest butthead around :P

Tracking won't happen for a while after today since we'll be at my Mom's house. But I will keep telling myself "Maigs does not eat sweets" so hopefully I can resist the worst of the eating there

I had already decided a long time ago that the tortillas at Chipotle aren't worth the calories but we hadn't been in so long I forgot yesterday.

I'm surprised that the tortillas are so many cals.  The ones I get at the store are only 100, I think.

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

3 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

They're also probably half the size (or less), Chipotle tortillas are HUGE :) . My normal ones at home are 140cals I think

Fair point.

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

3 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Maigs doesn't eat sweets

Maigs doesn't eat sweets

Maigs doesn't eat sweets

Chocolate covered peanuts and random candies have been staring at me all day. But Maigs doesn't eat sweets so I've been avoiding staring back at them and just have to avoid them for another 30 minutes

Drink some fruit tea.  Still sweet but none of the calories!!  And hot!  Its cold out!!

3 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I haven't managed to find a tea I like without adding tons of sugar

But I resisted the chocolate :)

I drink unsweet apricot tea.  Maybe it was living abroad that got me so hooked on tea in general but the silly thing is that I can drink tea unsweet all day long but I NEED creamer in my coffee.  Glad you were able to resist the chocolate!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Maigs doesn't eat sweets

Maigs doesn't eat sweets

Maigs doesn't eat sweets

Chocolate covered peanuts and random candies have been staring at me all day. But Maigs doesn't eat sweets so I've been avoiding staring back at them and just have to avoid them for another 30 minutes

Maigs chews sugar free gum to fight cravings.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Happy birthday!!!

• Like 2