Maigs Does the Unthinkable

Maigs

Definitely take care of yourself when you're fighting the plague... Try to eat healthy foods where you can though. Those nutrients and vitamins can help fight off that nastiness! ^_^

• Like 1

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Follows the Way of the Samurai

Previous Challenges: 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Fitbit Profile * Good Reads

20 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I hope you feel better soon! Plague protocols are a good reason to rest up for a while instead of pushing through it and being sick longer.

By resting up do you mean going to the gym and doing intervals on the dreadmill? Because that's what I did :P

20 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Death by gaming actually sounds like a fun way to go...

There are worse ways to go, but this much socializing is hard for my introverted self

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Week 3 - Monday

I had the day off work thanks to MLK. Unfortunately it wasn't as productive as I normally make days home alone, but I probably needed the rest. I did lots of reading and not much else. I did manage to get myself to the gym after lunch (even though the windchill was -9F) and did intervals on the dreadmill. I know that doesn't sound like resting, but once I'm up for a few hours and let the crap drain out of my system I basically feel fine. It's just first thing in the morning that sucks. Food was good. I managed to veganzie one of my normal recipes and it turned out okay, though the vegan biscuits are funny shaped (aka, not perfectly round like normal canned biscuits) and resembled Jabba the Hutt when cooked. I finished off the tomato dal and ate some trail mix so I still have no idea what my calories are.

I also messed with my meal plan some more. The goal is to get to a good 3 or 4 week rotation of meals that Hubs and I both like. Right now I have a three week plan where Sunday is my "experiment" day. I want to find some more recipes to replace some that we don't like as much (or that I can't reasonably veganize)

I forgot to mention; the trail mix has chocolate in it so Sunday I was actively trying to avoid getting any chocolate bit and gave Hubs most of the ones that I accidentally grabbed so I had maybe 5 pieces (generic plain M&Ms) before I thought to give them to him. Yesterday since there weren't others around I could pick around the chocolate without feeling awkward and didn't have any of it.

Breakfast - PB&J oatmeal; Lunch - tomato dal, trail mix; Dinner - "Chicken" n biscuits; Total calories - breakfast & dinner came out to 1000cals so probably within a good range

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

By resting up do you mean going to the gym and doing intervals on the dreadmill? Because that's what I did

Neil Degrasse Tyson Badass GIF

• Like 3

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

Oh! I forgot to mention: I did two full pushups yesterday! I don't remember the last time I did full pushups. Hubs was very confused when I excitedly ran into the office exclaiming "I did a pushup!" :D

Congrats!!!  I understand the excitement, I can't wait until I am back to full push-ups too!  

• Like 2

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

Oh! I forgot to mention: I did two full pushups yesterday! I don't remember the last time I did full pushups. Hubs was very confused when I excitedly ran into the office exclaiming "I did a pushup!" :D

WooHoo! Well done! 

• Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

I like the idea of your rotating meal plans! I need to create some formalized plans for when I'm feeling uninspired - usually every other day is an experiment day for me! But that's not always feasible...

Great job on doing the thing when you were feeling crappy! It's still easy to take that as an excuse even if you are really okay to do it.. so you still deserve the kudos!

• Like 2

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

4 hours ago, Fonzico said:

I like the idea of your rotating meal plans! I need to create some formalized plans for when I'm feeling uninspired - usually every other day is an experiment day for me! But that's not always feasible...

It takes a lot of the hassle out of grocery shopping and meal planning. We have a pretty good core group of recipes but before I made this rotating meal plan I had a habit of making the same meals week after week and forgetting about other favorites. Then I'd get frustrated when trying to make my shopping list trying to figure out what we should cook. Now I just see what week I'm on and as long as there isn't a known issue (like being gone for a day or a planned meal out) then that's my plan. I put recipes that have the most perishable items closest to the shopping date and ones with non-perishables out at the end of the week. That way if I don't make something I can push my days back and the last couple of meals of the week can just not be made without having to worry about veggies going bad.

• Like 3

It takes a lot of the hassle out of grocery shopping and meal planning. We have a pretty good core group of recipes but before I made this rotating meal plan I had a habit of making the same meals week after week and forgetting about other favorites. Then I'd get frustrated when trying to make my shopping list trying to figure out what we should cook. Now I just see what week I'm on and as long as there isn't a known issue (like being gone for a day or a planned meal out) then that's my plan. I put recipes that have the most perishable items closest to the shopping date and ones with non-perishables out at the end of the week. That way if I don't make something I can push my days back and the last couple of meals of the week can just not be made without having to worry about veggies going bad.

Okay, this is brilliant. I operate on the same basis you used to... My only hesitation is that I often change my mind about meals after seeing what meats are on sale (obvs not an issue for your vegetarian self!)
But really, most things can be subbed, especially when most of what I cook is either meat + veg side dish or some kind of casserole, which tend to be flexible.

I think I'm going to try it!
  • Like 2

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

2 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I need to do something like this.  I'm really bad about getting into a rut with weekly meal planning, and I always feel like there are a ton of meals I'm forgetting that we like, but I can never think of them when I sit down to write the week's list.

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

On 1/15/2018 at 10:20 AM, Maigahane said:

Lifting - Still avoiding the gym partially because of the cold,

I just realized today that I've been doing the same thing. The gym itself isn't that cold, but I was dreading the cold locker room and walking down the long cold hall in shorts and singlet. Good job getting yourself there!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

10 hours ago, Maigahane said:

You're an inspiration!!

I too am tryi g to get on the rotating meal plan train, but pinterest is too distracting.  Ha.  Part of my firness journal is me gathering recipes to put into a rotation so I can hopefully not just spend hours on pinterest drooling at everything.  

Glad you're feeling better and you got to relax!!

you're also my 1000th comment, not that I'm counting or anything....

• Like 2

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

2 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I need to do something like this.  I'm really bad about getting into a rut with weekly meal planning, and I always feel like there are a ton of meals I'm forgetting that we like, but I can never think of them when I sit down to write the week's list.

We xerox or print out or transcribe all of our recipes, then put them into a binder. Every once in a while, we flip through the binder and/or add to it. That way we can see everything in one place.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Super Starling! said:

We xerox or print out or transcribe all of our recipes, then put them into a binder. Every once in a while, we flip through the binder and/or add to it. That way we can see everything in one place.

I started a recipe binder once.  It's got a bunch of recipes in it.  But I never think to look there.  I'm thinking about using a spreadsheet to make an index of the recipes that are in the binder, and our other favorites and staples.  I think that would help me a lot.

• Like 2

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

I only print out recipes I want to try and if I like them, I keep the printout, otherwise, I throw it away. lol. That way I have a binder full of tasty foods to choose from. Right now I'm going off of what sounds good for the cold. Like next week I'm thinking soup, then the week after pot roast. 

• Like 2

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Follows the Way of the Samurai

Previous Challenges: 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Fitbit Profile * Good Reads

14 hours ago, Fonzico said:

My only hesitation is that I often change my mind about meals after seeing what meats are on sale (obvs not an issue for your vegetarian self!)

That does make it harder. This may be heresy but would you be able to freeze the meat you find on sale if you're not planning on using it? Occasionally if there's a good deal on something Hubs will eat I'll buy it and freeze it until I figure out when we'd use it.

14 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I need to do something like this.  I'm really bad about getting into a rut with weekly meal planning, and I always feel like there are a ton of meals I'm forgetting that we like, but I can never think of them when I sit down to write the week's list.

I started a spreadsheet in Dropbox listing out my meals so I could just add to it when I thought of things or found new good ones.

12 hours ago, Stribs said:

I too am tryi g to get on the rotating meal plan train, but pinterest is too distracting.  Ha.  Part of my firness journal is me gathering recipes to put into a rotation so I can hopefully not just spend hours on pinterest drooling at everything.  

Haha! I need to go through my "Recipes" board on pinterest and start trying some of the ones I've been pinning lately. I've added quite a few recently in my quest to find more vegan recipes Hubs and I both like. Can't tell if we like them if I never make then :) 

11 hours ago, Super Starling! said:

11 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I started a recipe binder once.  It's got a bunch of recipes in it.  But I never think to look there.  I'm thinking about using a spreadsheet to make an index of the recipes that are in the binder, and our other favorites and staples.  I think that would help me a lot.

I have a recipe binder too (that's still very much a work in progress). I have a Word document in dropbox (seeing a pattern here) where I've transcribed all of my favorite recipes. Ideally I'll get to where my spreadsheet has my rotating meal plan with a tab that calculates cost and calories (total and per serving) and my binder is indexed either in order of the meal plan or by type. I'm not there yet but I just made the binder a couple of months ago.

11 hours ago, Super Starling! said:

You could cross-index it with what ingredients each one needs. If you're good at spreadsheets (which I am NOT), you could even figure out what they have in common and overlap ingredient-shopping.

I'm not quite this far in my spreadsheet love but I have done grouping in my meal plan for things like making both of my recipes that use tortillas in the same week since we only use half the package at a time. And both recipes that use shredded carrots in the same week.

39 minutes ago, RhiaWolfe said:

Right now I'm going off of what sounds good for the cold. Like next week I'm thinking soup, then the week after pot roast.

Lol, I'm weird and I will eat chili and other soups all year long. Doesn't matter if it's the hottest day of the year, chili is always delicious :) 

13 hours ago, Xena said:

I just realized today that I've been doing the same thing. The gym itself isn't that cold, but I was dreading the cold locker room and walking down the long cold hall in shorts and singlet. Good job getting yourself there!

I don't change at the gym so for me it's more about the trek from the car to the gym. Then figuring out what to do with my coat once I'm there. I should probably just ask, but I don't know how the lockers work. I think you have to pay for them and I'm too cheap for that :) The free gym just has some pegs by the door so no big deal there. It's the paid gym that I'm avoiding which is obviously dumb since I'm paying for it

• Like 2

Week 3 - Tuesday

Was back at work, kinda wished I had called in. More because I just didn't want to be there than because of not feeling well. Oh well. Had a talk with Boss about Kevin's issues Friday and told her that I'm done trying to train him and she understands and agrees. So hopefully you won't have to hear me bitch about him anymore :) After work we met a friend for dinner but it was much later than we normally eat so I finished off the trail mix from the weekend (giving Hubs all the chocolate). I planned out my food before and got what was hopefully a healthy meal of grilled veggie taco and enchilada. They don't post calories so I have no actual idea. Good news is I asked for no cheese to make it vegan. Bad news is I had way too many chips and salsa. I didn't mean to but they coat the chips with delicious salty crack and I mindlessly ate them while talking.

I did two more full pushups before dinner! But that was all the exercise I did.

Breakfast - PB&J oatmeal; Lunch - leftover "chicken" n biscuits; Snack - trail mix; Dinner - grilled veggie taco and enchilada, rice and beans, chips & salsa

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Maigahane said:

two more full pushups

Good work!  You win!

KBO. - Churchill

I don't change at the gym so for me it's more about the trek from the car to the gym. Then figuring out what to do with my coat once I'm there. I should probably just ask, but I don't know how the lockers work. I think you have to pay for them and I'm too cheap for that :) The free gym just has some pegs by the door so no big deal there. It's the paid gym that I'm avoiding which is obviously dumb since I'm paying for it

This is funny. I've been going to the same gym for 15 years and I still don't know how the lockers work (but we have hooks for coats and shelf where we can leave clothes and non-valuable stuff)

I did two more full pushups before dinner!

Your post yesterday inspired me. I wanted to see if I could do any yet (after doing negatives the past few weeks). I managed two this morning :-)

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 7:59 AM, Maigahane said:

Week 3 - Tuesday

Was back at work, kinda wished I had called in. More because I just didn't want to be there than because of not feeling well. Oh well. Had a talk with Boss about Kevin's issues Friday and told her that I'm done trying to train him and she understands and agrees. So hopefully you won't have to hear me bitch about him anymore :) After work we met a friend for dinner but it was much later than we normally eat so I finished off the trail mix from the weekend (giving Hubs all the chocolate). I planned out my food before and got what was hopefully a healthy meal of grilled veggie taco and enchilada. They don't post calories so I have no actual idea. Good news is I asked for no cheese to make it vegan. Bad news is I had way too many chips and salsa. I didn't mean to but they coat the chips with delicious salty crack and I mindlessly ate them while talking.

I did two more full pushups before dinner! But that was all the exercise I did.

Breakfast - PB&J oatmeal; Lunch - leftover "chicken" n biscuits; Snack - trail mix; Dinner - grilled veggie taco and enchilada, rice and beans, chips & salsa

I copped out of work on Tuesday for exactly that reason. Sometimes you just need a No Day - No work; No chores; No getting out of pajamas; No getting off the couch. I'm paying for it now by working extra hours... but damnit, it was worth it! :P 

You're doing great on everything, IMO - making healthy food choices, keeping up the workout momentum, and planning well ahead! Keep it up!

• Like 1

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

1 hour ago, Evicious said:

I copped out of work on Tuesday for exactly that reason. Sometimes you just need a No Day - No work; No chores; No getting out of pajamas; No getting off the couch. I'm paying for it now by working extra hours... but damnit, it was worth it! :P

That's basically how I was Monday too.

I took this morning off work. I'm still deciding if I'll go in after lunch. Probably because I'm horrible at taking time off and I'm really not that bad

1 hour ago, Evicious said:

You're doing great on everything, IMO - making healthy food choices, keeping up the workout momentum, and planning well ahead! Keep it up!

Thanks, though it doesn't always feel like I'm doing that great, in general I'm making much better choices than I used to. Though I am up 5lbs from my low weight. Some of it is probably water weight left over from Mexican Tuesday, but some of it is from stress eating the last few months of 2017 *grumble*

• Like 1

Week 3 - Wednesday

I should have just called off or gone home early. But it seems like it do this more often on Wednesdays when I'm at a different office than when I'm in my normal one so I was afraid it would look fishy. I got very little accomplished though.

Then on my way home from work some idiot leaving McDonalds decided that there couldn't possibly be anyone coming from the right and just pulled out without looking. Even with slamming on the brakes hard enough for ABS to kick in, pulling as close to the curb as possible, and laying on the horn they still came within a foot of hitting me. It would have been a very minor, no injuries, cars drive away kind of accident but still shook me up. I got home, decided that we had no comfort food, and walked to the gas station for some trail mix (without candy!).

Dinner was pre-prepped so I just had to throw it in the oven. We hosted gaming again and Hubs brought out the giant Ferrero Rocher. I ended up eating half of it but I ate none of the bag of Reeses pumpkins someone else brought so win? I specifically kept the FR to share at game night so it was planned for like 3 weeks. If it hadn't been for the trail mix I think I could have called the whole day a win.

I did manage to talk three friends from back home into joining me for an OCR in September. All newbies! I'm working on trying to convince 3 more. Plus the friend we met for dinner Tuesday sounded interested in doing a race with us if we find a good one out by him in Texas. I'm spreading the OCR word!

Breakfast - Pb&J oatmeal; lunch - leftover "chicken" n biscuits; snacks - BBQ chips, trail mix, blueberry almonds (almost forgot about the chips.....); dinner - pasta veggie casserole; snack - half of the giant Ferrero Rocher

• Like 3