Jump to content

Maigs Does the Unthinkable


Maigs

Recommended Posts

Lol, I just realized while updating my signature that Hubs is definitely doing two OCR's with me in September and possibly a third. Granted one of them is an inflatable run (aka: bouncy house 5k!) but I don't think he's going to be happy when he realizes just how close together they all are [emoji14]
Omg an inflatable run sounds like both the most fun ever and also like a guaranteed injury!

Awesome that hubs is getting on board, even if he's not quite aware of exactly what he's getting in to!
  • Like 2

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Link to post

Week 3 - Wednesday

 

I had a fairly awesome day. Food was on point even though I didn't get the crock pot prepped n the morning. I had a decently productive day at work. I stayed away from the chocolate chip bagel that was tempting me every time I walked past the kitchen area. I was hungry when I got home so I made myself one of my frozen vegan burritos. Hubs got home right as it was done and figured I wasn't cooking so he finished off his leftovers. I figured I'd have to find something else to eat after he left to hang out with a friend since it was only 320cals, but decided I wasn't really hungry anymore and didn't really want anything.

 

I went to the gym and got my ass kicked in a good way. I can already tell I'm going to have t-rex arms by the end of the day. I'm counting it as a no sweets day. I technically had a chocolate shake in the evening but it was a protein shake after my workout and not because I wanted something sweet or something to munch on but because my calories were low for the day and felt I should have something.

 

And I'm signed up for the Mudder Half in September with a friend! I really enjoyed the Mudder I did last year, hopefully this one lives up to it so Friend and Hubs have fun.

 

Breakfast - PB&J Oatmeal

Lunch - Leftover stir fry

Dinner - Curry Tiger burrito

Snack - protein shake

Sweets - Nope

Vegan - Yes

 

I decided to start my new habit today instead of waiting for the new challenge. So this morning I got my ass out of bed with the first alarm. No more snoozing for 30 minutes every morning.

  • Like 5

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Link to post
13 minutes ago, RhiaWolfe said:

The inflatable 5k made me almost want to sign up. lol. I'm just not much of a runner. 

They're a blast! I don't think Hubs ran at all for the one he did with me last year. They're just for fun. There's two out there (that I know of), Insane Inflatable 5k and The Great Inflatable Race. TGIR doesn't even pretend to be a full 5k, I think they say it's "about 2-3 miles"

 

That reminds me, I have a friend who seemed interested in doing one of these, I should ask if she wants to join us for the one in September...

  • Like 2

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Link to post
12 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Omg an inflatable run sounds like both the most fun ever and also like a guaranteed injury!

They are so much fun! I don't think they're very injury prone though. You're on normal ground for most of it with breaks of bouncy house obstacles every so often. Hubs did Superman face first into an obstacle and bent his glasses but that was him being silly

 

14 minutes ago, Fonzico said:

Awesome that hubs is getting on board, even if he's not quite aware of exactly what he's getting in to!

I wouldn't say he's "getting on board". He enjoyed the Inflatable race and wanted to do it again and will occasionally, grudgingly go along with races if we have a group of friends going. His exact answer when I asked if he wanted to do the Mudder Half in Dallas was "Not really but if we're going all that way I might as well".

He hasn't officially agreed to do the one at the beginning of September where we have 3 friends signed up and 2-3 more considering it

  • Like 2

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Link to post

Week 5 - Thursday

 

Another good day! I got my ass out of bed with the alarm at 6:15. Granted, all I did was sit on the couch with my phone and laptop, but that's fine, my only goal was to get my ass out of bed without snoozing. I'll add other goals to this later. I prepped my experimental crockpot recipe and went to work. Was kinda productive at work and actually stood up for Kevin when Boss Lady was being a bit unreasonable. I ate my lunch and wasn't tempted at all by the cake donuts, bagels, or the guy who's wife is a Girl Scout leader and trying to push cases (not boxes, cases) of cookies on people. Got home and my house smelled amazing. I did the last bit of work on dinner and then got to domestic rangering. Step 1: make a to-do list at work. Step 2: Take out the freaking to-do list when you get home so you actually remember what you wanted to do. I was sitting at the table thinking " I should do something.....what?" then I remembered my list and annihilated it.

 

Dinner was ugly but delicious! Red Lentil and Carrot Soup with Coconut. I had a bowl, waited 30 minutes, had 3/4 of a bowl. I still wanted more after that but not because I was hungry, because it was yummy, so I stopped. Hubs said he liked it too so this might be a new addition to the regular rotation

Spoiler

Red Lentil and Carrot Soup with Coconut

2 cups red lentils

1 tbsp vegetable oil

2 onions, finely chopped

2 large carrots, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 tsp turmeric

2 tsp cumin seeds

1 tsp salt

½ tsp cracked black peppercorns

1 can tomatoes, including juice

6 cups vegetable stock

1 can coconut milk

1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 long red chili pepper or 2 Thai chilies, finely chopped

 

In a colander, rinse lentils thoroughly under cold running water. Set aside

In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, turmeric, cumin seeds, salt, and peppercorns and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil, breaking up with the back of a spoon. Stir in reserved lentils and stock.

 

Transfer mixture to slow cooker stoneware. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours, until carrots are tender and mixture is bubbling. Stir in coconut milk, lemon juice and chili pepper and cook on high for 20-30 minutes, until heated through

 

***Except I just dumped all the ingredients from part one (using ground cumin instead of cumin seeds) into the crockpot with no prep and cooked on low for 8 hours. then added the coconut milk and lemon juice and cooked on high for about 30 minutes. I couldn't find the chilis so I did without. Next time I'll probably only use 4 cups of stock instead of 6 since we like really thick soups

 

 

Breakfast - PB&J Oatmeal

Lunch - Leftover Mexi casserole (Telluride Black Bean Bake), pretzels

Dinner - Red Lentil and Carrot Soup with Coconut

Sweets - Nope

Vegan - Yup

No Snoozing - Yup

  • Like 3

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Link to post

I really like your idea of just getting yourself out of bed in the morning to build the habit. I may look at stealing this! I may also steal the soup recipe as I need some good veggie meals I can pre-prepare to have on meat free day.

  • Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

  Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I really like your idea of just getting yourself out of bed in the morning to build the habit. I may look at stealing this! I may also steal the soup recipe as I need some good veggie meals I can pre-prepare to have on meat free day.

Steal away on both counts. The plan with getting up is that I will get up 5 minutes earlier each month until I get to 5:30 probably. At some point I'll add an actual activity in that time but I haven't decided what yet and for now just getting out of bed is goal enough :)

 

Here's another amazing vegan soup recipe that's part of my regular rotation: Dilly Stew. I usually don't make the dumplings just because I'm lazy (and I always made them too big...)

  • Like 2

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

The plan with getting up is that I will get up 5 minutes earlier each month until I get to 5:30 probably. At some point I'll add an actual activity in that time but I haven't decided what yet and for now just getting out of bed is goal enough

 

That's such a good idea. At the moment I can't even get myself to get up when my alarm goes off without snoozing, so I think that's going to be the first step for me. Then I can work on getting up earlier before I add in morning activities. By that time, it might actually be light enough in the morning to make it feel less horrid!

 

8 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Here's another amazing vegan soup recipe that's part of my regular rotation: Dilly Stew. I usually don't make the dumplings just because I'm lazy (and I always made them too big...)

 

Oh thank you very much. I love stew with dumplings. My SIL is doing a February vegan challenge so I can share this with her too.

P.S. Dumplings can never be too big!

  • Like 2

Current: Assassins / Instagram

  Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Link to post

I'm trying to do the get up with the alarm too. I started by setting my alarm so I can snooze once and still be on time to work. I used to snooze like 4-5 times. So this is a big improvement. Since I know that if I snooze any more I'll be late, it's been giving me motivation to get up on the second alarm. I'm hoping to get it to where I'll learn to wake up after the first alarm. After doing that for a while, I may set the clock earlier. We'll see how it goes! 

 

Let me know how you progress on this Maigs! I'm curious to see what works for you! 

  • Like 2

Heroine of Time

Height: 5'8  Weight: 315lbs

Current Challenge: RhiaWolfe Follows the Way of the Samurai

Previous Challenges: 1234567891011121314151617181920212223

"Reach for the stars! If you only make it to the moon, you've still done good!" - My Dad

"Hyaaaat! Jeeyat-Hiyaaaah Hiet! Hyaaaaaaa Hiyyyyet! Hiyaaaaat Hiyaaaa!" - Link

Fitbit Profile * Good Reads

Link to post

Man, my sleepy brain often doesn't understand what alarm clocks are and what the buttons do. It's a crap shoot as to whether I recognize that it means I'm supposed to get up, and 50/50 whether I turn it off or snooze it. I have to have multiples set just in case I turn it off and go back to sleep.

I love the goal though! Snoozed sleep is so low quality anyways, it'll be so good for you! And getting up early is awesome, it's like bonus time for yourself :)

  • Like 1

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Link to post

Great job on no snooze.  I cultivated that early on because my parents bought me the most shrill alarm clock ever.  I would wake up shortly before it to get up and shut it off just to not hear it.  Even though my phone is fine, I still have the habit.

  • Like 2

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

 

Link to post
8 hours ago, Fonzico said:

Man, my sleepy brain often doesn't understand what alarm clocks are and what the buttons do. It's a crap shoot as to whether I recognize that it means I'm supposed to get up, and 50/50 whether I turn it off or snooze it. I have to have multiples set just in case I turn it off and go back to sleep.

Hubs used to be really bad about that. We had a few work arounds to make sure he actually got up when we first got married. One included an incredibly loud alarm clock in the kitchen. By time time he made it to the kitchen he was usually awake enough to realize that he needed to get up. Our current alarm clock is super easy to hit the snooze, but takes a bit more coordination to actually turn it off so you're much more likely to snooze

 

59 minutes ago, Stribs said:

Great job on no snooze.  I cultivated that early on because my parents bought me the most shrill alarm clock ever.  I would wake up shortly before it to get up and shut it off just to not hear it.  Even though my phone is fine, I still have the habit.

I used to be really good about getting up with the alarm. I just realized that another reason I got in the bad habit of snoozing is that our current alarm (that we've had for years now) has the most soothing noises, we have it set to play forest sounds with birds. I absolutely cannot stand beeping alarms but I can lay in bed and let this thing go for a while

  • Like 2

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Link to post

I have a very random question: What would you do with a 12'x12' room?

 

We're planning on some changes to our house which will result in our second bedroom being mostly empty. Hubs has said that I can do whatever I want with it since he's taking over the living room with his stuff. I found a really nice pullout sofa today that I think I want to buy for it but it's not cheap and before I spent money on it I want to figure out what the "purpose" of the room should be.

The living room will have a projector and any video gaming type stuff. The dining room has bookshelves that hold all of our books and board game stuff. The main bedroom is where the sleeping and sexy stuff happens. We rarely have overnight guests (1 in two years) so a dedicated guest room makes no sense. I don't want to put big exercise equipment in it. I do want an open area in the middle where I can do bodyweight exercises or yoga but that wouldn't really be it's "purpose".

I suppose it makes sense for it to be my office for anything OEPD related but I don't like working at a desk at home. I always end up doing taxes on the couch so we recently got rid of my unused desk.

 

Anyway, just looking for ideas since we're trying to be very intentional with any home decor decisions

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Link to post
11 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I have a very random question: What would you do with a 12'x12' room?

 

We're planning on some changes to our house which will result in our second bedroom being mostly empty. Hubs has said that I can do whatever I want with it since he's taking over the living room with his stuff. I found a really nice pullout sofa today that I think I want to buy for it but it's not cheap and before I spent money on it I want to figure out what the "purpose" of the room should be.

The living room will have a projector and any video gaming type stuff. The dining room has bookshelves that hold all of our books and board game stuff. The main bedroom is where the sleeping and sexy stuff happens. We rarely have overnight guests (1 in two years) so a dedicated guest room makes no sense. I don't want to put big exercise equipment in it. I do want an open area in the middle where I can do bodyweight exercises or yoga but that wouldn't really be it's "purpose".

I suppose it makes sense for it to be my office for anything OEPD related but I don't like working at a desk at home. I always end up doing taxes on the couch so we recently got rid of my unused desk.

 

Anyway, just looking for ideas since we're trying to be very intentional with any home decor decisions

Reading sanctuary. Line the walls with bookshelves, get some cozy lighting and a comfortable chair to supplement the couch if so desired. Get an end table or two for setting down drinks, and then perhaps some wall decorations. The middle of the floor would still be open for bodyweight exercises.

  • Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

52,53,54

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to post
On 1/26/2018 at 10:15 AM, Maigahane said:

That's what I'm looking at doing. Also just a basic "How to I want my day to look?" and use the challenges to slowly get there.

 

I've been thinking about this for a while too. Read this in December and am still meaning to circle back to it. Not quite sure what I want to change, but I'll make some changes when I'm ready. Sounds like you will too

 

https://medium.com/personal-growth/tell-me-what-you-did-today-and-ill-tell-you-who-you-are-6243bd969ef6

 

24 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I do want an open area in the middle where I can do bodyweight exercises or yoga but that wouldn't really be it's "purpose".

 

It could be. Half of my living room is basically a "yoga studio"

  • Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

 

Link to post
33 minutes ago, Xena said:

I've been thinking about this for a while too. Read this in December and am still meaning to circle back to it. Not quite sure what I want to change, but I'll make some changes when I'm ready. Sounds like you will too

 

https://medium.com/personal-growth/tell-me-what-you-did-today-and-ill-tell-you-who-you-are-6243bd969ef6

Thanks for posting that, it was a really good read. I also got his Morning Routine Checklist thing which was interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about the journaling thing but I was already kinda planning on focusing on my goals in the morning so they're on my mind, instead of rushing to get to work and then spending the day on autopilot/reactive mode.

 

35 minutes ago, Xena said:

It could be. Half of my living room is basically a "yoga studio"

I already have a big open space in the living room that does not get used nearly enough for bodyweight exercises or yoga so I'd be kidding myself if I expected it to work in the other room. At least not yet

 

49 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Reading sanctuary. Line the walls with bookshelves, get some cozy lighting and a comfortable chair to supplement the couch if so desired. Get an end table or two for setting down drinks, and then perhaps some wall decorations. The middle of the floor would still be open for bodyweight exercises.

This is actually where I'm leaning. I've been wanting a "big, comfy, curl up with a book" chair for a while but haven't found the right one. But it will be my quiet room where I can read, work, and relax. Ideas are forming of what needs to be in there for that, I just need to let it percolate a bit more

  • Like 2

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Link to post
3 hours ago, Maigahane said:

 

This is actually where I'm leaning. I've been wanting a "big, comfy, curl up with a book" chair for a while but haven't found the right one. But it will be my quiet room where I can read, work, and relax. Ideas are forming of what needs to be in there for that, I just need to let it percolate a bit more

 

If there is no rush, maybe just start with a chair and a side table or small shelf. Then see what you actually do end up using the room for before you commit to anything.

  • Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

Link to post

Challenge Wrap Up

 

What were my goals again? *looks back at page one* Oh, right:

 

Food - Eat no sweets, stick to 1800-2000 calories/day

I did fairly well with the no sweets. Not perfect but I'm not striving for perfection. The worst was Friday when I stress ate a stale donut. For the most part I didn't really crave sweets. This goal is sticking around for future challenges. I did a very poor job of tracking my calories. Partially because I tried out some new recipes, partially because my eating was not where it should be and I don't track when I'm eating off goal. This needs reeled back in

 

Lifting - 2 sessions/week

Hahahahaha! I did zero lifting. At the end I got back into doing the fitness classes at my gym and two of them were strength oriented so I'll count that as two lifting session. I might have done a BBWW at the beginning of the challenge, I don't remember. This goal will probably fall by the way-side for a bit in favor of a simplified one-goal-per-month system

 

Running - 2 runs/week

Well, I did a 5k. I'm pretty sure I did spent 45 minutes on the treadmill one day that included intervals. Other than that, no running. This will also probably fall by the way-side for a while

 

Biking - average one bike commute/week

I did two in one week but it's just been too damn cold and I had the morning cough from hell for 2 weeks. I want to keep this one up once the weather starts cooperating but we got some more snow today

 

Sushi List - I have everything done except one bag that needs dropped off at Goodwill. It's been in my car the entire freaking challenge. I will drop it off before Thursday because we're going to a concert then and I'm freaking having sushi beforehand

 

Bonus Goal - At the very end of the challenge I added a goal to wake up with the alarm and not snooze.

This went well for the two days I had this goal. This will definitely be part of future goals. Despite what I said two posts up, I bought a journal today and will play with writing my goals and plans for the day in the mornings. I think focusing on my goals in the morning instead of being rushed and on autopilot mode will help. And if I need to be specific enough of my food plans to write it down then maybe I'll have better success at sticking with my goals

  • Like 3

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Link to post
1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

Sushi List - I have everything done except one bag that needs dropped off at Goodwill. It's been in my car the entire freaking challenge. I will drop it off before Thursday because we're going to a concert then and I'm freaking having sushi beforehand

 

Yes!!

  • Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

 

Link to post
7 hours ago, Maigahane said:

What were my goals again? *looks back at page one* Oh, right:

 

:D I couldn't even bring myself to look at my original goals this time round. What are your thoughts with how this challenge went, overall? 

  • Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

 

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

 

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Link to post
4 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

:D I couldn't even bring myself to look at my original goals this time round. What are your thoughts with how this challenge went, overall? 

I think it went similar to yours, but less. Less sick, less family in hospitals, and less of a comeback. I stalled out pretty early on, partially because of the weird morning cough from hell (allergies?) but at the end started getting back on track with glimpses of hype off in the distance. I made it back to the gym after a month+ long hiatus and I'm back to working on my food intake

  • Like 1

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Link to post
21 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Sushi List - I have everything done except one bag that needs dropped off at Goodwill. It's been in my car the entire freaking challenge. I will drop it off before Thursday because we're going to a concert then and I'm freaking having sushi beforehand

I tried! I stopped by the donation site today and pushed the button three times and no one answered! No idea if they closed for the (very small amount of) snow or what but the stuff is still in my car :(

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

Link to post
1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

I tried! I stopped by the donation site today and pushed the button three times and no one answered! No idea if they closed for the (very small amount of) snow or what but the stuff is still in my car :(

 

I officially declare that not your fault. I think you should still have sushi and just get rid of that stuff as soon as you can.

  • Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines