fleaball

Year of the Flea

Starting the Year off Right: Poll Tiem!  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is this gonna be your year?

• FUCK YEAH!
    • Damn right!
    • YES but I don't like cursing!

Hoooolyyyy shit y'all. 2017 was a clusterfuck of epic proportions, largely outside of my control. The one good thing I can think of is that I earned a very expensive piece of paper. In retrospect, basically none of 2017 was about me at all. There were bigger other things going on that I had to react to and tl;dr some fabulous Nerds made me realize that, among other things, I was taught from a young age to take care of other people first and myself never. So this year I'm changing that. Running myself into the ground for other people and letting them monopolize my time and dictate how I react to things is not how I want to live my life. My current circumstances necessitate super duper baby steps, which I'm grumpy about, but I'll take my wins where I can get them. I'm also including rationalizations in case I get hung up on feeling like I need to explain myself to my family. 

So without further ado:

• Do Yoga with Adriene's new 30-day challenge every night. Do PT exercises every day.
    • Because driving for Lyft fucks me up and I need to stretch more.
  • Make coffee and eat breakfast at home every day. Unless specific plans are made to meet someone for breakfast/lunch.
    • Because money. 
  • Floss and use mouthwash every night before bed. (True story, I'm kinda terrified of this one, because the last time I flossed I wound up at the dentist two days later with an infected tooth that sparked the root canal saga from hell. It was either a coincidence or something that was going to be inevitable, but my anxiety doesn't really care about details.) 
    • Because if I'm going to get an implant I need to be in really good dental health anyway, and not getting the implant will cause more problems.
  • Stop pissing off my acid reflux. Okay, this one is harder to quantify and essentially boils down to "make good choices." But I've been eating too many foods lately that I know will cause issues. And they're not really worth it, I'm just doing things out of laziness/convenience/being cheap with money.
    • Because I rather like not being in pain and want to stop relying on medicine.
  • Also: bonus points! Other good-for-me things that have made appearances in past challenges, including journaling, eating freggies, skipping coffee, cleaning, etc. They're all listed on the spreadsheet so it's kind of a monster, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

As always, handy dandy spreadsheet. Feel free to steal/modify/do whatever for your own purposes.

EDIT:  Bonus content, whee! Goals for 2018 in the spoiler because I didn't think to reserve a post for it and long post is already long.

Spoiler

General life goals:

• find a damn therapist
  • move out of my parents' house
  • stop talking to my family?
  • get a job that pays something I can actually live on
  • find somewhere to volunteer
  • start using French again
  • start using Arabic again
  • get to a comfortable level in Spanish
  • pay off $2k student loan, on top of regular payments
  • save toward a $5k emergency fund
  • buy a car?
  • take a pole dancing class
  • make new friends
  • find a hobby

General health goals:

• get off acid reflux medication
  • lose 65 pounds
  • go fully vegan
  • get cholesterol to acceptable levels (I'm under 200 but the HDL/LDL/triglycerides are totally out of whack)
  • meditate daily

Exercise goals:

• complete GMB Elements
  • run a full 5k
  • run a full 10k
  • do one or more OCRs since I hate myself and have terrible friends
  • do a handstand
  • do the monkey bars
  • plan on doing a half marathon next year with one or more aforementioned terrible friends?
  • start a regular yoga practice?

• Like 20

1 minute ago, WhiteGhost said:

My prediction: Flea is in for a challenging challenge :) 

I was wondering who'd be the first to catch that. You were at the top of my list.

But yeah. One day I will stop drinking coffee because it fucks with me too much. Right now I need it, between driving at ridiculous hours and having trouble sleeping, so the bonus point is mostly "skip coffee on days I don't drive." But that's too many words.

• Like 9

I feel you so hard on getting grumpy about baby steps!  I have a tendency to barrel in all guns blazing, cold turkey everything and make total overnight overhauls.  The biggest backstage goal of 2018 for me is gonna be accepting that I can't do everything all at once.  

Love your baby steps!  Following along :D 

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Awwww yeaaaah. Let's do this.

tumblr_nz1zrdPMEA1stkhy4o1_500.gif

21 hours ago, Stardust said:

I feel you so hard on getting grumpy about baby steps!  I have a tendency to barrel in all guns blazing, cold turkey everything and make total overnight overhauls.  The biggest backstage goal of 2018 for me is gonna be accepting that I can't do everything all at once.  

Love your baby steps!  Following along :D 

Yeah I'm never ever happy with having to take things slowly. It's usually "OKAY I'M DOING THE THING NOW WHY ISN'T IT WORKING YET?" Welcome to the party!

12 hours ago, Bookish Badger said:

Flea! Flea! Flea!

Following!

(Will pay cat tax when I’m at home & can deal with gifs more easily.)

Hello hello hello! Looking forward to seeing what gif you decide to go with =P

11 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Following for awesomeness of the Flea. I will try to remember a gif later when the brain is working.

Thanks for bringing your awesomeness to the thread! 

8 hours ago, Korranation said:

Looks like a good set of goals flea.
Following along!
a2491fd66c1a065df164347c20bed2e0.jpg

Hiiiii! Welcome!

6 hours ago, RES said:

cutest-cat-gifs-licking.gif

I'm here, I'm following, I don't have my own challenge yet lol

d'awww. *grabby hands*

This post is now a lie and you do have a thread, so now we have twice the number of places to make dirty jokes!  :D

2 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Haiiiiiiii

giphy.gif

Following! 

I want this kitty. Use your GL powers to find it and steal it for me.

1 hour ago, Wolfen said:

I'm here this time...and I mean really here, not just "dropping by when it's convenient for me" here. You will rock this challenge.

Glad to have you! I need to be a lot more consistent in dropping by your corner of the boards as well. 

56 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along again. I'm excited to see you start setting boundaries.

Wish me luck! If I succeed, it's going to be your fault. :)

• Like 9

2 hours ago, fleaball said:

I want this kitty. Use your GL powers to find it and steal it for me.

My GL powers have dead-ended at a lapsed tumblr account. I'll keep sleuthing. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, fleaball said:

tumblr_nz1zrdPMEA1stkhy4o1_500.gif

So Youngest just walked in and saw this. ANd decided it was very Awkward and why is Snape of all people smiling. I laughed...

Yeah I'm never ever happy with having to take things slowly. It's usually "OKAY I'M DOING THE THING NOW WHY ISN'T IT WORKING YET?" Welcome to the party!

Can I join the party?  I seem to have the same thoughts, so you are not alone. 

Thanks for bringing your awesomeness to the thread! 

I Don't always have awesomeness, but I bring support, is that okay?

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

My GL powers have dead-ended at a lapsed tumblr account. I'll keep sleuthing. 

I’ll be waiting. 

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Here's your first lesson in setting boundaries (You are the cat)

ht1jfGh.gif

Yessssss. 

6 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

So Youngest just walked in and saw this. ANd decided it was very Awkward and why is Snape of all people smiling. I laughed...

I am always happy to confuse children. Mission accomplished. 

Can I join the party?  I seem to have the same thoughts, so you are not alone. 

You’re always welcome to the party! I think you were part of it already though. =P

I Don't always have awesomeness, but I bring support, is that okay?

Same thing. I’ll take whatever you have to offer. 

• Like 6

So I either rock the socks off zero week or I do nothing until the actual challenge starts. There is no in between. And this round is apparently the latter kind of zero week. I’m also going 12/31-2/3 because I hate Monday-Sunday challenges. Gonna try really hard to weigh myself and take photos on Sunday morning too; I usually take my morning pills on autopilot and chug water before I remember that was a thing I wanted to do.

Challenge prep:

Coffee maker has been purchased. Walgreens has my coffee on sale so I’ll stop in tomorrow before I go driving. Then I’ll just need to buy filters, because I forgot those were a thing. I can hit Aldi for those. At some point this weekend I’ll prep overnight oats and figure out another quick but healthy breakfast to mix it up. My life would be so much easier if eggs didn’t make me gag.

I need to buy Listerine at some point but I’m good for the start of the challenge and I have plenty of floss. Still uneasy about this one because anxiety is a dick, but I will take anxiety over gum disease and a tooth falling out.

I should sweep my floor and make a little more space for my yoga mat. There’s enough already, but I inevitably wind up kicking something no matter what. Sometimes it’s a cat, which is their own fault. 

The acid reflux goal might be tricky. When I’m out driving I do try to look for Panera or Whole Foods over McDonalds et al, but sometimes it comes down to proximity and parking availability. And when I’m at home... meh. It will involve grocery shopping and planning. For those who don’t follow my battle log, I have a pretty big aversion to making food for myself and really just being in the kitchen in general. I’m not in a place where I can really overcome it right now, literally and figuratively. So if I want to make food at home as opposed to eating out, since very few healthy places actually deliver, I need to get creative and try to trick myself into doing quick and easy things. 

All in all I’m feeling okay about this challenge going into it. I have my reservations and it definitely will be a challenge, but if I want to get out of here I need to do it on my own and this is a start. (Cheerleading and cat gifs welcome.)

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Coffee maker has been purchased. Walgreens has my coffee on sale so I’ll stop in tomorrow before I go driving. Then I’ll just need to buy filters, because I forgot those were a thing. I can hit Aldi for those. At some point this weekend I’ll prep overnight oats and figure out another quick but healthy breakfast to mix it up. My life would be so much easier if eggs didn’t make me gag.

First of all - following! Your present is going in the mail tomorrow!

Secondly, we have a reusable coffee filter and love it. Like this. Obviously, it depends on your coffee pot, but long term, definitely worth it!

• Like 5

Just now, Sylvaa said:

First of all - following! Your present is going in the mail tomorrow!

Secondly, we have a reusable coffee filter and love it. Like this. Obviously, it depends on your coffee pot, but long term, definitely worth it!

I meant to look at one of those. I read a zillion reviews on a bunch of machines and I know at least one of them didn’t cooperate with a reusable filter bc the size was slightly off, but when I finally hit “stop putting it off and buy the damn thing” yesterday I forgot to go back and check. I’ll put it on the to do list if my computer ever works again though. 

Whee present. And whee Sylvaa. Whee. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, fleaball said:

Whee present. And whee Sylvaa. Whee. 

For anyone reading (because I was quiet about it) - regardless of Flea's hatred of presents, I found something that I thought was perfect for Flea. For those days that she needs a blatant reminder of her fabulousness. And I am so excited for her to see it. It's absolutely ridiculous and not very useful. But still. <3

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

For anyone reading (because I was quiet about it) - regardless of Flea's hatred of presents, I found something that I thought was perfect for Flea. For those days that she needs a blatant reminder of her fabulousness. And I am so excited for her to see it. It's absolutely ridiculous and not very useful. But still. <3

And for the record, I’m using this as a learning experience. That might not be the right word. But like, “oh look, some people just like to be nice and there aren’t strings attached to everything and it doesn’t always have to be a miserable experience.” I’m still a little grumpy, but I can be reasonably sure that there’s no ulterior motive or bitchy meaning behind whatever it is, so that’s something. 

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

It's absolutely ridiculous and not very useful. 

Those are the best presents!

Following another fellow acid refluxer... good luck to you in defeating the acid beast inside you!

• Like 6