Year of the Flea

Starting the Year off Right: Poll Tiem!  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Is this gonna be your year?

• FUCK YEAH!
    • Damn right!
    • YES but I don't like cursing!

25 minutes ago, Severine said:

Just literally throwing random ideas out there, but do you have allergies or anything? I once worked in an office building where I kept getting headaches and feeling exhausted and I thought I was going insane because it seemed to only happen during the day - I'd feel better at home in the evenings, or on the weekends. I hated that job so I chalked it up to lack of motivation or psychosomatic issues, but then a couple years later a former coworker I was still friendly with told me that they found out the building had air quality issues and some old carpets that had been installed with glue that offgased toxic shit as it aged. Anyway, given that your house is older and probably has lots of dust and unaddressed maintenance issues, it's possible that in addition to the emotional/stress stuff (which I agree is probably a huge part) there's actually something there that makes it not a super healthy physical environment. Which might not be a helpful idea to even offer, since I know you're stuck there for now, but maybe it'd at least be nice to consider that it might be the place, not you. And give you hope that it'll rapidly get better once you're out.

Ohhh this reminded me: when my parents moved into my grandma's house, all of our allergies were awful. No one had really cleaned the place in the last few years since my parents had been out of country and my aunt was too lazy to drive five minutes to help my grandma out (long story), but once my mom and I started shampooing all the carpets (which were nasty) and getting stuff cleaned out, it got a lot better. Considering all the other issues the house seems to have, I wouldn't be surprised if this plays a part, if there's a lot of carpet or if the ventilation hasn't been cleaned in years.

• Like 6
  • Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hoooolyyyy shit y'all. 2017 was a clusterfuck of epic proportions, largely outside of my control. The one good thing I can think of is that I earned a very expensive piece of paper. In retrospect, bas

Fuck, really?   okay, if I counted right on my profile, my 10k post was essentially “I wish I could pay someone to carve out my uterus.”   Sounds about right. 

One of the phrases they beat out of us early on in chaplaincy training is "I understand." It implies we know that persons experience. It was pointed out that even if we had gone through an experience

Posted Images

Will reply to comments later but first I need to express my frustration because I’m not going driving. For one thing, I didn’t fall asleep til almost 6am and I apparently shut my alarm off in my sleep. So by the time I’d be ready to go out (after showering, clearing off the car and shoveling that bit, etc) it would be getting darker anyway. And the other thing is that my street isn’t currently super narrow or all that steep, but I’ve watched a number of different vehicles all crawling down it. There’s still a layer of snow. There are parts of Boston and surrounding cities that are much steeper and narrower and maybe I’m overreacting but I’m not willing to risk having an issue there in a rental car with a $2500 deductible. So it’s not worth it to me because even if I went out I’d constantly be anxious. 

Also my ankle was fine yesterday until I went to bed and now it hurts again and I’m mad. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, fleaball said:

. So it’s not worth it to me because even if I went out I’d constantly be anxious.

Honestly, this right here is a legitimate reason to not go driving. Yes, the other reasons are all valid, but in the end, making money is good and will help other anxieties, but if it is only going to make you completely on edge and freaked out, then its okay to take the day off.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Honestly, this right here is a legitimate reason to not go driving. Yes, the other reasons are all valid, but in the end, making money is good and will help other anxieties, but if it is only going to make you completely on edge and freaked out, then its okay to take the day off.

Seconding this! I am a complete train wreck trying to drive in bad weather (so I totally get where you are coming from!). You don't need to put yourself through that. 

• Like 5

Okay. Is anyone else having an issue where clicking on the notification bubble automatically takes you to the notification page instead of just giving you the little preview thing? It's been happening to me for days and it's driving me crazy. 

12 hours ago, Siferiax said:

giphy.gif

I think you need some kitten hugs!
I don't really have much more to say... I'm sorry.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Kitten hugs are always more than welcome! Thanks!

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I think you are right that the exhaustion is mainly emotional. Just survive as best you can till you can get out.

Shhhh I don't want you to be right this time. 

5 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

*hugs* Sometimes emotional/mental exhaustion is harder to deal with than Physical since you can't just take a nap.

I wish I had an idea on how to help, but I don't. so here are some hugs

tumblr_olzwe6iBS81s3n53to1_400.gif

<3 hugs are acceptable

3 hours ago, Severine said:

Just literally throwing random ideas out there, but do you have allergies or anything? I once worked in an office building where I kept getting headaches and feeling exhausted and I thought I was going insane because it seemed to only happen during the day - I'd feel better at home in the evenings, or on the weekends. I hated that job so I chalked it up to lack of motivation or psychosomatic issues, but then a couple years later a former coworker I was still friendly with told me that they found out the building had air quality issues and some old carpets that had been installed with glue that offgased toxic shit as it aged. Anyway, given that your house is older and probably has lots of dust and unaddressed maintenance issues, it's possible that in addition to the emotional/stress stuff (which I agree is probably a huge part) there's actually something there that makes it not a super healthy physical environment. Which might not be a helpful idea to even offer, since I know you're stuck there for now, but maybe it'd at least be nice to consider that it might be the place, not you. And give you hope that it'll rapidly get better once you're out.

2 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Ohhh this reminded me: when my parents moved into my grandma's house, all of our allergies were awful. No one had really cleaned the place in the last few years since my parents had been out of country and my aunt was too lazy to drive five minutes to help my grandma out (long story), but once my mom and I started shampooing all the carpets (which were nasty) and getting stuff cleaned out, it got a lot better. Considering all the other issues the house seems to have, I wouldn't be surprised if this plays a part, if there's a lot of carpet or if the ventilation hasn't been cleaned in years.

I'm allergic to cats (check), dust (a million checks), feathers (don't exist in the house), and cockroaches (if we have them I'm burning the place down). The cat allergy was barely strong enough to register so I don't think it's that. We got our first cat in 2011 and I never had an issue with him, or any of the extended family's cats that existed over the years. I know allergies can change, but I only seem to have an issue when one of them literally sleeps beside me for most of the night. Otherwise we coexist pretty well. There is dust and other grossness all over the house (my father thankfully pulled up the ancient disgusting carpet last year) but I try to keep my room pretty clean to avoid it and there are dust mite-proof covers on my pillows and mattress. And I basically live in my room. My house in DC was also pretty gnarly and I didn't have this issue though. And my symptoms don't get better when I leave the house. Whether I'm in the car or taking the train to a doctor appointment or walking across the street for food, it doesn't clear up. I was really hoping it was environmental so I could fix it, but that doesn't seem to be the case, unless it's a lot more sinister than I thought. 

25 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

23 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Seconding this! I am a complete train wreck trying to drive in bad weather (so I totally get where you are coming from!). You don't need to put yourself through that. 

My father went out to get a haircut earlier, apparently, and said he was a wreck. So yeah on that front I don't really mind not driving. I'm just upset because A.) this was not my plan and I hate when plans get disrupted and B.) the weather tomorrow will be worse than today and Sunday is going to be similar conditions, so I'm probably not going out all weekend and thus will be trapped in the house with my father for 4 days in a row. Gross.

• Like 7
13 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Okay. Is anyone else having an issue where clicking on the notification bubble automatically takes you to the notification page instead of just giving you the little preview thing? It's been happening to me for days and it's driving me crazy. 

Yes. I contacted NF about it weeks ago and they told me to clear my cookies, which did not help me at all but might be worth a try? 

Edit: I'm using Opera so there are all kinds of random browser hiccups that I face because most people don't tool their websites specifically for my nonsense. But if you're using Chrome/Firefox/Safari/IE/Edge you might have better luck. Or it might be that the forums have a bug. 

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Yes. I contacted NF about it weeks ago and they told me to clear my cookies, which did not help me at all but might be worth a try? 

Edit: I'm using Opera so there are all kinds of random browser hiccups that I face because most people don't tool their websites specifically for my nonsense. But if you're using Chrome/Firefox/Safari/IE/Edge you might have better luck. Or it might be that the forums have a bug. 

I'm using Chrome and that has never helped me. I get this issue every so often and it eventually clears itself up, it seems, but it annoys me to no end. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, fleaball said:

I'm using Chrome and that has never helped me. I get this issue every so often and it eventually clears itself up, it seems, but it annoys me to no end. 

So they have a bug and either don't know how to fix it or don't want to deal with fixing it. Bugs like this can be tough to fix, especially if it's only happening to a couple of users, because it can be really difficult for the engineers to replicate and figure out what's causing it. At the same time... "clear your cookies" does kind of feel like the brush-off. It's fine if it works, of course, but I reported back that I saw no improvement and all I got was "Our tech wizards will look into it." That was November 13th. :rolleyes:

• Like 4
1 minute ago, fleaball said:

Also today is my 4-year nerdaversary. I'm 80-something posts shy of 10k and I'm disappointed. I don't think even I could hit that today.

Happy nerdaversary!!! 

This is what my results gave me for "cat party gif," enjoy this awkward cake summoning: 

I5aE_t.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
So they have a bug and either don't know how to fix it or don't want to deal with fixing it. Bugs like this can be tough to fix, especially if it's only happening to a couple of users, because it can be really difficult for the engineers to replicate and figure out what's causing it. At the same time... "clear your cookies" does kind of feel like the brush-off. It's fine if it works, of course, but I reported back that I saw no improvement and all I got was "Our tech wizards will look into it." That was November 13th. :rolleyes:
Yeah, it's been happening off and on to me on three different computers so I'm not sure it's a cookies thing.
  • Like 5
7 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Not with that kind of attitude you won't!

lmao is that a challenge?

5 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Happy nerdaversary!!! 

This is what my results gave me for "cat party gif," enjoy this awkward cake summoning: 

I5aE_t.gif

How tf do you get so many cats to sit still like that?? There is clearly more sorcery happening than is pictured.

7 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

1 minute ago, Cataleya said:

Yeah, it's been happening off and on to me on three different computers so I'm not sure it's a cookies thing.

Welp. I can't say I'm surprised at this point. At least it's not just me.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

Ok, thanks. I'll ping them again for an update and mention I've seen a few other people around the forums discussing the issue, see if we can get some priority. 

Just don't hold your breath. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, fleaball said:

16 months on the pill and I think I just finished the first month where I didn't miss a single pill. Huzzah.

I haven't been on the pill since 2006 and still to this day, at my designated pill-taking time (11pm), I sometimes get a vague but urgent sense that I should be doing something important. 

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

It's probably an issue with the people who provide the software. NF contracts for the forum hosting, there have been issues they've had to wait on the forum software people to fix. They really do try their best to make the forums work. If you scroll all the way down to the bottom of a page you see some very light gray text that blends into the background. It says

Privacy Policy  Contact US

Level Up Enterprises Inc