• YES but I don't like cursing!

5 hours ago, Butternut said:

pooped.gif 

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Happy Nerdiversary Flea

Image result for cat party gif

I am loving these two gifs.

2 hours ago, LoganW said:

Quite late to this party, but man, 2017 was a super terribad year, wasn't it? And here's to making coffee at home every day. I started doing this when I lived in Pittsburgh for money reasons, and I also got a giant 32 oz Thermos-brand thermos to hold a whole pot of coffee in for the whole day, and keep it warm. I needed something super secure because I was bike commuting at the time and the coffee needed to go in to the same satchel as my computer and graded papers, etc. But here's to home-made coffee! I even got a burr grinder to use.

NB: five years later I had to stop making pots of coffee at home and switched to an Aeropress single cup and manual burr grinder because the caffeine was giving me heart palpitations, still - home made! rawr. It's so great to be able to make stuff like this at home. I know you've got some serious infrastructure & environment challenges (to say the least!), but I hope this one goes well. It's such a huge financial and quality-of-life boost when it works.

2017 was craaaaaaap. I go through phases of "I'm going to make my own coffee forever!" and "fuck it, Starbucks it is!" But I know it's clearly to my benefit not to spend money I don't need to. Drinking an entire pot of coffee is giving me palpitations just thinking about it. o.o PhD life probably required it and I'm sure I drank the equivalent in espresso when I worked at Starbucks, but I guess I'm old now? High five for homemade coffee though! 

"infrastructure and environment challenges" makes me laugh. Thanks for that! This is a reasonably easy change to deal with, thankfully. Just depends on discipline on my end. :)

21 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

Oh yeah. You've mentioned electricity problems with outlets not being able to handle the load and kitchen problems with an unwelcoming kitchen. If you want to make your own coffee in your room without a heat source, you can totally use a French press to make cold brew. It does require advance planning, but it's gentler than other coffees and if you're only drinking a cup or two a day it could be just the thing. 

I haaaaate iced coffee. It's what I started on at the ripe old age of 13, but now I can't stand it. I thought about a French press for my room but decided it was too complicated or something. I know they're not, but I didn't want to learn how to use it. My baby coffeemaker should be able to run in my room, and if not will only take about 10 seconds in the kitchen. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hoooolyyyy shit y'all. 2017 was a clusterfuck of epic proportions, largely outside of my control. The one good thing I can think of is that I earned a very expensive piece of paper. In retrospect, bas

Fuck, really?   okay, if I counted right on my profile, my 10k post was essentially “I wish I could pay someone to carve out my uterus.”   Sounds about right. 

One of the phrases they beat out of us early on in chaplaincy training is "I understand." It implies we know that persons experience. It was pointed out that even if we had gone through an experience

Posted Images

Had ~Plans~ for my enforced day(s) off, have done none of them. Well, I did poke around a few job websites but there's nothing new really. 

OH. Before I get on with what I was going to say, I need to share the story of my most awkward Lyft yet. Spoilered for length plus it's not really related to anything else in this post. 

Spoiler

Wednesday night I dropped someone off a lot further south/west of Boston than I really wanted to be. I'm trying to figure out what route to take back when I get a ping for a new ride. It's 10 minutes away, but I can't see the map to figure out where. I take it, it's 10 minutes in the opposite direction from Boston, fuck. But when I get there I can see that he's actually going back to Boston so yay, that worked out. Dude gets in the front seat (cringe) and while he doesn't actually have a neckbeard he's definitely one of the fedora-wearing milady types. Who starts talking shit about people he works with immediately, cursing a hell of a lot more than I would three minutes into meeting someone, and just being awkward. Then telling me about all his Star Wars bobble heads, because he's totally Yoda, grilling me on what Funko Pops I got a friend (he was surprised I knew what they were), etc. Out of nowhere he asks me if I want to come sell mattresses at the store he manages? Nah bro. At some point he mentions having interned at a Saudi embassy, I say I studied in Jordan but don't mention the rest of my academic pursuits and suddenly he's telling me his friend's wife works at the university here with one of the biggest international student populations and I would be perfect to work in this woman's office because she's all about diversity and inclusion and ~understanding people~ and he's texting his friend to tell him about me (why not the guy's wife who actually works there?) and I'm like "cool... thanks..." We get to our destination, which is a women's shelter where he's picking up a friend "who's sort of an ex but it's complicated so I don't want to get into it" (I didn't ask in the first place?!) and he changes the destination in the app so I can drop them off somewhere else. Fine, whatever. But he's been texting his other friend the whole time and then goes "okay, what's your number?" Uhhhhhh. I'm like "why don't you just give me the wife's email address if she's the one looking to hire. Nothing against you, but I have a blanket policy of not giving out my number to passengers because I've heard horror stories from other drivers and it's easier to stick to it if I never make exceptions." He seems genuinely confused by this. But eventually gets me the friend's email address, who is in no way affiliated with the school where his wife works. And she's also about to have a baby? This whole thing could probably be a legit well-intentioned thing but was really an ass-backwards clusterfuck. So I get the guy's email address before they get out of the car and he wishes me luck with it and then also says if I want to sell mattresses (because "introverts are great salespeople!" ??) I know where he works. Riiiiight. 

So anyway there's nothing posted on this school's website even remotely related to what he was talking about and I have no intention of emailing some random guy anyway. I know networking is a thing but this is super weird. I've had a few passengers give me their cards and tell me to check out their company or a place where they know people and to let them know if I see anything, but this is all after I tell them about my degree and aspirations. This dude just decided he wanted to give my phone number to someone else after I told him I'd studied abroad? Nein.

ANYWAY. Now that I've gotten that story out. I'm not driving again today. It's stupid cold (although warmer than forecast; apparently we hit double digits today) with 20 mph wind and... nope. I've been checking the app and it's also dead for a Saturday, so I guess no one is going outside. My plan for today is to actually sort and get rid of more crap, read a book, and fill out some forms to see if I can get reimbursed for out-of-network dentist visits from July. The insurance I had at the time told me I had a year to submit the claims, so when I go to the dentist Monday I'll ask them to check whether I've filled everything out right and cross my fingers. 

Actual question here: one of my problems with purging is hanging on to things that I haven't used forever but might need one day. Like right now I have a set of metal crutches and an aircast boot from when I sprained my ankle almost 2 years ago. I haven't needed them since. But what if I sprain my ankle again?!?!?!?1 They were expensive!!!!11! So is this the kind of stuff y'all keep around or am I being ridiculous? 

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

Also, dafuq do I do with all these Pokémon cards?? According to my brother they’re basically useless because a new company is now making the cards and banned the originals in game play? Idfk, but it feels like a waste to just chuck them all in the recycle bin. 

Also also, I’m sitting next to boob cat while sorting my shit and he’s Not Pleased with all the noise I’m making. 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Reveal hidden contents

Wednesday night I dropped someone off a lot further south/west of Boston than I really wanted to be. I'm trying to figure out what route to take back when I get a ping for a new ride. It's 10 minutes away, but I can't see the map to figure out where. I take it, it's 10 minutes in the opposite direction from Boston, fuck. But when I get there I can see that he's actually going back to Boston so yay, that worked out. Dude gets in the front seat (cringe) and while he doesn't actually have a neckbeard he's definitely one of the fedora-wearing milady types. Who starts talking shit about people he works with immediately, cursing a hell of a lot more than I would three minutes into meeting someone, and just being awkward. Then telling me about all his Star Wars bobble heads, because he's totally Yoda, grilling me on what Funko Pops I got a friend (he was surprised I knew what they were), etc. Out of nowhere he asks me if I want to come sell mattresses at the store he manages? Nah bro. At some point he mentions having interned at a Saudi embassy, I say I studied in Jordan but don't mention the rest of my academic pursuits and suddenly he's telling me his friend's wife works at the university here with one of the biggest international student populations and I would be perfect to work in this woman's office because she's all about diversity and inclusion and ~understanding people~ and he's texting his friend to tell him about me (why not the guy's wife who actually works there?) and I'm like "cool... thanks..." We get to our destination, which is a women's shelter where he's picking up a friend "who's sort of an ex but it's complicated so I don't want to get into it" (I didn't ask in the first place?!) and he changes the destination in the app so I can drop them off somewhere else. Fine, whatever. But he's been texting his other friend the whole time and then goes "okay, what's your number?" Uhhhhhh. I'm like "why don't you just give me the wife's email address if she's the one looking to hire. Nothing against you, but I have a blanket policy of not giving out my number to passengers because I've heard horror stories from other drivers and it's easier to stick to it if I never make exceptions." He seems genuinely confused by this. But eventually gets me the friend's email address, who is in no way affiliated with the school where his wife works. And she's also about to have a baby? This whole thing could probably be a legit well-intentioned thing but was really an ass-backwards clusterfuck. So I get the guy's email address before they get out of the car and he wishes me luck with it and then also says if I want to sell mattresses (because "introverts are great salespeople!" ??) I know where he works. Riiiiight. 

So anyway there's nothing posted on this school's website even remotely related to what he was talking about and I have no intention of emailing some random guy anyway. I know networking is a thing but this is super weird. I've had a few passengers give me their cards and tell me to check out their company or a place where they know people and to let them know if I see anything, but this is all after I tell them about my degree and aspirations. This dude just decided he wanted to give my phone number to someone else after I told him I'd studied abroad? Nein.

Actual question here: one of my problems with purging is hanging on to things that I haven't used forever but might need one day. Like right now I have a set of metal crutches and an aircast boot from when I sprained my ankle almost 2 years ago. I haven't needed them since. But what if I sprain my ankle again?!?!?!?1 They were expensive!!!!11! So is this the kind of stuff y'all keep around or am I being ridiculous? 

I do this, and I did this even more when I had less money - it's basically an inverse relationship for me. It's definitely the case that minimalism as it's often practiced in trendy circles is for rich people - the "just buy it if you need it and not until!" only works if you've got liquid funds, you know? And the "but what if I need this again, or can use it for something slightly off-purpose but still useful?" held me in really good stead when I was poor. Extra jars - great for storing bulk items when I could actually buy them! Extra newspaper - sometimes you need to insulate. An old sling in the first aid kit? Why not, you might hurt yourself and not be able to make the co-pay for the health center this week, or whatever.

...mind you, taken to its extreme and with the mental health and life experiences I've had sometimes, I could fairly easily be a hoarder or a prepper under the right circumstances. But I definitely get it. Even when I'm like, CLEAN ALL THE THINGS

giphy.gif

I still want to keep my items around. They might come in handy! 

In all seriousness, I think the balance is probably one of money, storage space, and utility if you _do_ need them. Sometimes finding a spiffy place to store something can be as feel-good as throwing it out, in my experience.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Like Logan said I think it's a balance between storage space, realistic need for it in future, and finances. I grew up poor and my mother was all about saving everything and I hated living in such chaos all the time, so now I tend much more toward purging old stuff. Logan's more on the side of keeping stuff (as, I get the sense, are you), so sometimes we need to negotiate. My general rule is if nobody has touched it for two years and there's no specific reason to think we'll need it anytime soon, I donate/sell/trash it. 

I also tend toward not buying stuff unless we really need it, and I buy stuff secondhand whenever possible. There are other ways to be thrifty besides keeping a bunch of stuff! Especially if keeping a tonne of stuff makes you feel like you need more space than you really do. Like, if your dad were to pare down his possessions to just the stuff he actually uses/cares about, he could probably live happily by himself in a one bedroom apartment. 

1 minute ago, fleaball said:

Also, dafuq do I do with all these Pokémon cards?? According to my brother they’re basically useless because a new company is now making the cards and banned the originals in game play? Idfk, but it feels like a waste to just chuck them all in the recycle bin. 

Stuff that some kid might in theory want is good to donate, if there's a convenient place nearby. A lot of kids won't care about official game play if they can just look through the cards or whatever. But sometimes the trash/recycle really is the best place for stuff even if it seems sad.

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Are these things which are fairly readily available to buy on eBay/Craigslist etc? If so, sell them, you'll get the going rate, and if you ever need them again you can buy them back at a similar cost. For things that are that available Craigslist basically becomes free storage.

23 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Also also, I’m sitting next to boob cat while sorting my shit and he’s Not Pleased with all the noise I’m making. 

I was going to say stick them on eBay as a job lit and hope for the best - even if you only get a few dollars it's better than nothing. I think I prefer @Severine's idea though if somewhere will take them.

Also, your weird Lyft was seriously weird. I can't work out the motivation behind acting like that at all. Well dodged giving out your number anyway...

• Like 3

For the Pokemon carfs, there are places you can trade them into, if it's worth it to you. I keep meaning to do that with mine on Troll & Toad or some similar website but haven't. Maybe that's a goal I'll set for myself for next challenge, and let Schatz use whatever I make to buy himself some MTG cards.

If not, you can bull sell them on ebay or craigslist. Depending on what you have it can work. I've seen people say something like, "I have a box of cards, $20 OBO plus shipping if need be for anyone who has them."

As for keeping things, I take everything I have in a given category (for instance, dresses) and dump it on my floor, admire how big of a useless pile it is, and decide what to keep . If it doesn't immediately speak to me as something worth keeping, for instance if I haven't used it in a year and don't see myself using it again, it's gone. If they're clothes that don't fit and don't look like they're going to for for a while, I donate them. If theyre in bad shape, I toss them. I've never regretted it. There's only one shirt I kind of miss but it's associated with some bad memories so I'm happy it's gone. Everything else I've ever gotten rid of--clothes or not--has faded from my memory.

• Like 3

Hit submit too soon and too lazy to edit. 

Thanks for the replies, folks. Will respond properly when I’m back on the computer. 

The ridiculous thing about my purging right now is that it’s all stuff I haven’t used in forever but am still worried about what to do with it all? When I moved to DC I had no intention of ever setting foot in this house again, so I made sure that I wouldn’t miss anything that I left. And of the stuff I took with me, there was one giant bin that I pretty much never opened. Theoretically I could chuck it all in the garbage and never miss any of it. But the process of sorting it makes it something I need to care about? :rolleyes:  

New question: how hard is it to remove hard drives from busted laptops and what else do I need to take out from them? I have two in my room and my father has an old one as well. I want to dump them at Staples ASAP.  

• Like 6

Re: Hard drives - text me whenever you are ready to do it and I can walk you through via IT-hubby. 

Re: Uber guy - people are strange (and who even sits in the front seat?)

Re: Stuff - I hate things. If you ever have to pay for crutches or an aircast, text me and I will tell you where to go for cheap stuff. 

Also, I will always call your cat "boobcat" from now on.

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Re: Stuff - I hate things. If you ever have to pay for crutches or an aircast, text me and I will tell you where to go for cheap stuff. 

Quoting myself to point out the irony in saying I hate things while also buying people pointless (although fabulous) Christmas presents.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Says the former barista.

French Press is waaaaaay easier than learning to foam milk.

oh god I was horrible at doing the milk. I never figured out whether I was bad at it because they rarely put me on the bar, or did they rarely let me on the bar because I was clearly that fucking bad? I'm reasonably sure it was the former, because we were pretty much always busy so there was no time to practice, but you never know. Anyway, I now have a baby 4-cup (= 4 x5 oz = 1 flea cup) machine that's easy to do so I'm not worried. Hopefully there will come a day when I don't depend on coffee and will have it just as an occasional treat, and maybe then I'll look into fancy things. 

4 hours ago, LoganW said:

I do this, and I did this even more when I had less money - it's basically an inverse relationship for me. It's definitely the case that minimalism as it's often practiced in trendy circles is for rich people - the "just buy it if you need it and not until!" only works if you've got liquid funds, you know? And the "but what if I need this again, or can use it for something slightly off-purpose but still useful?" held me in really good stead when I was poor. Extra jars - great for storing bulk items when I could actually buy them! Extra newspaper - sometimes you need to insulate. An old sling in the first aid kit? Why not, you might hurt yourself and not be able to make the co-pay for the health center this week, or whatever.

...mind you, taken to its extreme and with the mental health and life experiences I've had sometimes, I could fairly easily be a hoarder or a prepper under the right circumstances. But I definitely get it. Even when I'm like, CLEAN ALL THE THINGS

giphy.gif

I still want to keep my items around. They might come in handy! 

In all seriousness, I think the balance is probably one of money, storage space, and utility if you _do_ need them. Sometimes finding a spiffy place to store something can be as feel-good as throwing it out, in my experience.

Where do I get that dog?? I get what you mean about the rest though. Sometimes when I'm about to toss peanut butter jars or coffee cans I stop and wonder "Do I have anything that needs a home and would fit in here? Could I use it in the future?" But I didn't grow up poor or even just in a family that did shit like that for whatever reason. I think my father has hoarding tendencies to a point and I do remember him being ridiculous about throwing things out when I was little, but beyond that I can't pinpoint what my issue is. 

Wait. No. It could just be the fact that I wasn't allowed to throw things out without approval. Right, Logan gets all the points today. 

Part of why I'm trying to purge stuff is so that when I eventually move out I have as little as possible. Not one of the crazy "I have three sets of clothing and one set of cutlery and a toothbrush and it all fits in my little purse " kinds of people, but when packing and unpacking in DC I realized I was lugging around a lot of crap I hadn't even unpacked in the first place and that just resulted in wasted effort.

4 hours ago, Severine said:

Like Logan said I think it's a balance between storage space, realistic need for it in future, and finances. I grew up poor and my mother was all about saving everything and I hated living in such chaos all the time, so now I tend much more toward purging old stuff. Logan's more on the side of keeping stuff (as, I get the sense, are you), so sometimes we need to negotiate. My general rule is if nobody has touched it for two years and there's no specific reason to think we'll need it anytime soon, I donate/sell/trash it. 

Per the sudden realization above, I'm wondering if it's less that I want to keep stuff and more that I never learned that it was okay to get rid of it? Whenever I do a purge of things I feel great and not once have I missed something I got rid of or regretted doing so. A few weeks ago I cleaned out some bins that had been under my bed; I got 4 down to 1.5. The full one is leftover school supplies, larger textbooks that are too tall for my bookcase, and other things worth keeping. The half full one is like, a half-assed baby book and some other small!Flea-related stuff that I have no use for but recognize that I should probably not throw away. It's funny that your rule is 2 years, because like I said it's just shy of that that I've had the crutches and the boot. Haven't needed them since. Also over the summer I got rid of a pair of crutches I got in 2001 and never used. So yeah I suppose I should get rid of them. 

I also tend toward not buying stuff unless we really need it, and I buy stuff secondhand whenever possible. There are other ways to be thrifty besides keeping a bunch of stuff! Especially if keeping a tonne of stuff makes you feel like you need more space than you really do. Like, if your dad were to pare down his possessions to just the stuff he actually uses/cares about, he could probably live happily by himself in a one bedroom apartment. 

Ugh I would love to buy secondhand stuff and used to enjoy poking around thrift shops, but since the bed bug incident I can't bring myself to do it. The thought of people giving away things that might have bed bugs, whether they know it or not, just freaks me the fuck out. And yeah, a good like 98% of the shit in the house hasn't even been looked at in the last decade or so. He doesn't even know what he actually brought home from my grandparents' house, except for a few specific pieces of furniture that are collecting dust and probably mold in the garage. 

I do really enjoy the feeling of getting rid of and not being overwhelmed by stuff. Purging my closet as a I was packing to move back? Great. Getting rid of a lot of my parents' literal junk lying around while my mother was in the hospital? Amazing. Purging a lot of my shit once I finally had room to move around here? So awesome. And I'm still looking around going "why the fuck do I have that thing? What's in those drawers? I will never use this thing why didn't I chuck it years ago?" I wouldn't be surprised if part of it is wanting to get rid of things that other people got me, given my history, between memories and just the fact that they're things I never would have gotten myself. (Just because I spent time in France doesn't mean I need to own a dozen things with the Eiffel Tower on them. I wasn't even in Paris!)

Stuff that some kid might in theory want is good to donate, if there's a convenient place nearby. A lot of kids won't care about official game play if they can just look through the cards or whatever. But sometimes the trash/recycle really is the best place for stuff even if it seems sad.

I don't recall ever seeing Pokemon (or Yu-Gi-Oh!, I think there's a binder of those somewhere too) cards in thrift stores though. I have no idea where else I would donate them. I'd thought about trying to just take them to a comic shop or whatever the fuck store buys them, but they're all crappy common cards. I think I had a friend who just tossed all theirs in the recycling. 

3 hours ago, Jarric said:

Are these things which are fairly readily available to buy on eBay/Craigslist etc? If so, sell them, you'll get the going rate, and if you ever need them again you can buy them back at a similar cost. For things that are that available Craigslist basically becomes free storage.

Yeah, valid point. I think my worry is like, "what if I need the thing immediately and can't wait for shipping?" Well, dumbass, if you go to the doctor because you sprain your ankle again sliding down a fucking wall into a mud pit, you're probably not going to have the crutches immediately available then either. I guess I just don't want to fall into what happened last time, which was "oh the x-ray they took on Friday shows that your ankle is broken but now it's Monday because we closed early without telling anyone, give us $40 for these crutches right now because you shouldn't have been walking on that ankle all weekend and now you're fucked." #anxietyproblems But yeah I should really look into selling things. I already have a box of stuff bound for eBay eventually, I should just add to it.

3 hours ago, Jarric said:

I was going to say stick them on eBay as a job lit and hope for the best - even if you only get a few dollars it's better than nothing. I think I prefer @Severine's idea though if somewhere will take them.

Also, your weird Lyft was seriously weird. I can't work out the motivation behind acting like that at all. Well dodged giving out your number anyway...

Problem is I don't want to have to do an inventory and figure out prices for over a thousand cards. I'm lazy. I'll poke around the interwebs and see if I can donate them somewhere. 

I'm reasonably sure this dude wasn't fishing for my number for nefarious purposes, but he also seemed like the type to not understand boundaries at all and I could totally see him texting or calling me to ask if I'd talked to his friend yet. So yeah no, he wasn't getting shit out of me.

5 hours ago, Cataleya said:

For the Pokemon carfs, there are places you can trade them into, if it's worth it to you. I keep meaning to do that with mine on Troll & Toad or some similar website but haven't. Maybe that's a goal I'll set for myself for next challenge, and let Schatz use whatever I make to buy himself some MTG cards.

If not, you can bull sell them on ebay or craigslist. Depending on what you have it can work. I've seen people say something like, "I have a box of cards, $20 OBO plus shipping if need be for anyone who has them."

Ooh, forgot there could be online places. The lazy problem still arises. I may have to just chuck them in a box and do it that way and hope I don't have some kind of stupid rare card I never knew about. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Cataleya said:

As for keeping things, I take everything I have in a given category (for instance, dresses) and dump it on my floor, admire how big of a useless pile it is, and decide what to keep . If it doesn't immediately speak to me as something worth keeping, for instance if I haven't used it in a year and don't see myself using it again, it's gone. If they're clothes that don't fit and don't look like they're going to for for a while, I donate them. If theyre in bad shape, I toss them. I've never regretted it. There's only one shirt I kind of miss but it's associated with some bad memories so I'm happy it's gone. Everything else I've ever gotten rid of--clothes or not--has faded from my memory.

Yeah, purged all my clothes when I moved. The rest of it... I never wind up missing once I've gotten rid of it, it's the getting rid of it that's the trouble. But earlier in this post I came up with some theories on that, so I may have to wait til I find a therapist to get rid of some of the really difficult stuff. 

2 minutes ago, fireandlight said:

Shouldn’t be too difficult, but it depends on the laptop, and if you have a screwdriver set small enough.

It also depends on how much you care about keeping the rest of it intact.

As for saving other parts, nothing else is probably worth keeping.

I don't care about saving them at all, just want to keep bad guys from downloading all my n00dz. I'll drop everything off for recycling and not care lol.

...there are no n00dz. But there are passwords and shit. 

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

Re: Hard drives - text me whenever you are ready to do it and I can walk you through via IT-hubby. 

Re: Uber guy - people are strange (and who even sits in the front seat?)

Also, I will always call your cat "boobcat" from now on.

lol do you mean wiping hard drives or just taking them out? I've taken them out of actual computers before. I think one of my laptops still turns on so I might try wiping that way, but my father's just bluescreens so I'll have to take it apart. 

When it first started Lyft was all about being BFFs with passengers and was supposed to be an awesome experience etc and riders were encouraged to get in the front seat and you were supposed to fist bump them and be bros and yeah it was weird. I've only had a handful of people sit in the front seat if they got in alone. All dudes, all of whom seemed to feel like my life would be improved now that they'd graced me with their presence. On the other hand, I've had groups of FOUR get in and someone will very reluctantly be like "is it okay if I sit in front?" I mean, yeah, I'm not tying you to the roof so someone's gonna have to sit there. And I've had groups of 3 sober adults all squish into the back because sitting up front is weird. People are weird idk.

59 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Quoting myself to point out the irony in saying I hate things while also buying people pointless (although fabulous) Christmas presents.

You said it, not me. =P I just have to find a place for the thing now.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, fleaball said:

lol do you mean wiping hard drives or just taking them out? I've taken them out of actual computers before. I think one of my laptops still turns on so I might try wiping that way, but my father's just bluescreens so I'll have to take it apart.

I'm pretty sure my hubby has said always take them out, not just wipe them? Just checked - he said no, you always just take it out and either keep or destroy it. Apparently you have to fill it with data and then wipe it like three times for it to be actually wiped. He said drill through it a few places is the best way. 

5 minutes ago, fleaball said:

And I've had groups of 3 sober adults all squish into the back because sitting up front is weird. People are weird idk.

This would be me. Once we were Ubering as a work group and I climbed over seats to be in the back instead of being up front. 

6 minutes ago, fleaball said:

You said it, not me. =P I just have to find a place for the thing now.

:D 

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

I'm pretty sure my hubby has said always take them out, not just wipe them? Just checked - he said no, you always just take it out and either keep or destroy it. Apparently you have to fill it with data and then wipe it like three times for it to be actually wiped. He said drill through it a few places is the best way. 

Cheers. I'll take them apart and then let my father go to town with his manly tools or whatever the fuck makes him happy. I think I can figure out how to unscrew things if that's all there is to it. 

Related: I love how my parents are always mystified by basic technology. The first time they had a computer die my father was like "oh but you're supposed to do something so they don't get all your information!" because he'd read it in a magazine or news article or something, not because he knew what he was talking about. And then the debate became "okay so what do we do with it? how do we erase the information?" I was like "idk, get me a screwdriver" and just starting unscrewing every screw until I figured it out. They were in awe. 

7 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

This would be me. Once we were Ubering as a work group and I climbed over seats to be in the back instead of being up front. 

You're so tall though. How did that even work? Although now that I think about it, when my parents came down for graduation they made me sit up front in one of the ubers we took. Oh well. If I'm alone I'd never get in front, but if I'm in a group I'd rather go for the front seat than get squished in the back.

• Like 5
I don’t care about saving them at all, just want to keep bad guys from downloading all my n00dz. I’ll drop everything off for recycling and not care lol.

Easy-peasy then!

Sounds like Sylvaa may be in a better position to get you actual help, but most windows laptops have a hard drive panel on the back to remove the drive easily. Kinda like this:

1d40eff4056edd54b62b1888739d681a.jpeg

If you don’t have the right size screwdriver and don’t want to buy one, you could try prying off the panel with something (although it could damage the drive)

If all that sounds too cumbersome and you just don’t want the baddies to get at your sexy passwords if they still boot up you can do a multi pass wipe to clear your data:

1. Create a new admin user account on the computer
2. Delete all existing user accounts
3. Download & Install C Cleaner from Piriform
4. Once you have it downloaded and installed, use the program to securely erase your free disk space.
Here’s some info on the settings you’ll want to use:

www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/introducing-ccleaner/can-data-cleaned-by-ccleaner-be-recovered

If you do a minimum of 5 passes that’s considered secure enough for national security purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Cheers. I'll take them apart and then let my father go to town with his manly tools or whatever the fuck makes him happy. I think I can figure out how to unscrew things if that's all there is to it. 

I got you boo.

You're so tall though. How did that even work? Although now that I think about it, when my parents came down for graduation they made me sit up front in one of the ubers we took. Oh well. If I'm alone I'd never get in front, but if I'm in a group I'd rather go for the front seat than get squished in the back.

Well, I was one of the youngest (the other guy my age also climbed in the back). Also, I'm pretty flexible (giggity giggity).

• Like 4
1 minute ago, fireandlight said:

Easy-peasy then!

Sounds like Sylvaa may be in a better position to get you actual help, but most windows laptops have a hard drive panel on the back to remove the drive easily. Kinda like this:

1d40eff4056edd54b62b1888739d681a.jpeg

If you don’t have the right size screwdriver and don’t want to buy one, you could try prying off the panel with something (although it could damage the drive)

If all that sounds too cumbersome and you just don’t want the baddies to get at your sexy passwords if they still boot up you can do a multi pass wipe to clear your data:

1. Create a new admin user account on the computer
2. Delete all existing user accounts
3. Download & Install C Cleaner from Piriform
4. Once you have it downloaded and installed, use the program to securely erase your free disk space.
Here’s some info on the settings you’ll want to use:

www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/introducing-ccleaner/can-data-cleaned-by-ccleaner-be-recovered

If you do a minimum of 5 passes that’s considered secure enough for national security purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bizarrely, I find "take the thing apart" less effort than "let the computer do the thing" so I'll probably just do that. I backed up what I needed from my own laptop(s) and my father barely knows how to use a computer so there's nothing important on his, so if I have to pry them open and wind up breaking the drive, it's no loss to anyone. But I'l definitely keep this post bookmarked for a bit just in case.

• Like 4

Spinning hard drives, I use to do a government style wipe on them. Boot up to the cd, and run the program. I don't recall what the program was though SSD style hard drives, that shit don't really work, and you can recover the data still. I have destroyed plenty of my own old hard drives, just because. ;)

I also am somewhat of a horder type. Haven't had crutches in forever, and never really kept that too much. I do have all my sports cards/pokemon cards still. Like over a million of those things. Pretty much all worthless I'm sure, though I have a few decent ones. Same with comics, and computer parts. The purge is coming soon though. ;)

• Like 3

Oh my god, why is there a pile of notes and assignments from undergrad in the bottom drawer of my night table? Why did I feel like this was something worth keeping?

also can we lawl about the fact that my paper for the semester-long “how to write a research paper” class argued that anime had indeed infiltrated mainstream America? What the fuck. I distinctly remember one of my examples being that Buffy the Vampire Slayer referenced Dragonball Z. Wtf. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
59 minutes ago, fleaball said:

also can we lawl about the fact that my paper for the semester-long “how to write a research paper” class argued that anime had indeed infiltrated mainstream America? What the fuck. I distinctly remember one of my examples being that Buffy the Vampire Slayer referenced Dragonball Z. Wtf. 

I can never tell to what extent anime has indeed infiltrated mainstream America and to what extent all my friends are nerds. 

I'd say that among certain demographics, there are a few anime that at least have widely recognizable components. There are a lot more people who recognize the "OVER 9000!" meme than who know anything about DBZ, and a lot of people who recognize Pikachu but know nothing else about Pokemon. (And a lot of people now who only associate "pokemon" with "people walking off cliffs while staring at their smartphones.") So in some ways, some things from anime are sort of making their way into mainstream culture, if you squint? But not... really, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

I can never tell to what extent anime has indeed infiltrated mainstream America and to what extent all my friends are nerds. 

I'd say that among certain demographics, there are a few anime that at least have widely recognizable components. There are a lot more people who recognize the "OVER 9000!" meme than who know anything about DBZ, and a lot of people who recognize Pikachu but know nothing else about Pokemon. (And a lot of people now who only associate "pokemon" with "people walking off cliffs while staring at their smartphones.") So in some ways, some things from anime are sort of making their way into mainstream culture, if you squint? But not... really, lol. 

Well yeah, hence the repeated “what the fuck” about the paper. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, fleaball said:

8 hours ago, fleaball said:

Problem is I don't want to have to do an inventory and figure out prices for over a thousand cards. I'm lazy. I'll poke around the interwebs and see if I can donate them somewhere. 

TBF I wouldn't inventory them, just advertise them as "Approximately 1,000 mixed Pokémon cards, being sold as a single lot only." They'd be worth less that way, but I doubt you could earn enough to make an inventory worth the time spent.

• Like 5