• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

@mu

Assassin level up

6 hours ago, @mu said:

It is also a good thing to want to do better of course. And it's fine as long as it doesn't have the reverse effect of preventing you from doing things (or finishing them). It think it's more of an injured ego/low-self esteem/perfectionism issue. I had that same feeling at the end of my PhD. Ok a PhD viva is some sort of performance but the main problem was writing up and well putting the final point to it. And it was the same song, not good enough, what are you even doing here, and so on.

I know these feelings all too well... But as you say, the important thing is that we still keep doing the things. :) 

Really cool performance idea, looking forward to the finished piece. I think it's going to be great. (Even if you think it fails to live up to your high standards. ;))

Also your cat is awesome. An asshat (as all cats are) but an awesome one. :D 

8 hours ago, @mu said:

"Never apologise for your art",

As someone who performs for a living... this is totally true. Apologizing has the opposite effect as intended. Even when you fuck up royally and everyone knows and you want to sink into the ground, and even— especially— when your mistake affects someone else. Because apologizing for the suckiness that just happened assumes that suckiness is fundamentally not OK and isn’t allowed, and therefore that other people therefore also aren’t allowed to suck sometimes (and you’ll notice if they do.) Whereas the reality is that everyone makes mistakes, and everyone goes through rough periods where they just aren’t as good as they want to be, and that’s OK and allowed. It’s all part of the game and nothing to apologize for or even remark upon, is the attitude.

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Also your cat is awesome. An asshat (as all cats are) but an awesome one. :D 

She is really. Sometimes we play hide and seek. I go hide somewhere (behind a door, in the wardrobe, or flattening myself under a bed cover...) and she has to find me - usually with cats it's the other way around :D

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh and crane is straight arms, crow or frog is bent arms. :) 

Cheers!

2 hours ago, tei_ said:

As someone who performs for a living... this is totally true. Apologizing has the opposite effect as intended. Even when you fuck up royally and everyone knows and you want to sink into the ground, and even— especially— when your mistake affects someone else. Because apologizing for the suckiness that just happened assumes that suckiness is fundamentally not OK and isn’t allowed, and therefore that other people therefore also aren’t allowed to suck sometimes (and you’ll notice if they do.) Whereas the reality is that everyone makes mistakes, and everyone goes through rough periods where they just aren’t as good as they want to be, and that’s OK and allowed. It’s all part of the game and nothing to apologize for or even remark upon, is the attitude.

Yes precisely this! and it is a much healthier place to be in. I wish it could come to me a bit more naturally/easily. I think part of it is due to going through very competitive stuff and also having to move a lot between countries from a young age (the feeling to have to start from scratch again and again, finding a place among others  / be accepted in different environments). It makes your skin thicker in places but really thinner in others. The usual baggage I suppose :P

What instrument(s) do you play by the way? Are you part of a group?

Back to the grind

Goal 1: Bent arm press - session 2/15

Pike press / negative to tuck / bonus linking: 2 reps with linking - 1 fall - 1 rep – 1 fall – 1 failed (coming back too quick for the negative) – 1 fall – 1 failed - 1 ugly :disgust: => reps: 3.5/4 linking: 1/3

Straddle bent arm press: 4 reps (failed on 5th)

Crane hold: 49s

Goal 2: Aerial drills, session 2/10

Front balance: right 1.2 / 1.3 / 1, left 0.8 / 0.9 / 0.5 (no strength left in my arms)

Knee climbs: 1 / 1 / 1 like last time, no change really, can't hold. Maybe I can try to progress by holding 2 knees + 1 hand as long as I can, instead of trying to hold straight from knees

(all scores are over 2)

Goal 3: Assassin level up

No training, just playing with the video editor to see what it looks like with small bits and pieces. For the teleportation bit, I need to find pauses that look more like I have been dumped there. And I suppose I will make a couple of attempts trying to grab the ball with hands/feet/head butting it and getting consequently "teleported". Then I have an idea of a small sequence to free the ball without touching it but it needs more practice.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 7:06 PM, raptron said:

Oh man, so fun! I LOVE your at home set-up. :D 

Thanks!

Quick update

There is quite a bit of unrest in the country. Marching but also things closer to rioting... Fairly unorganised it seems at this stage and nothing very big in Tehran. Still it's a bit stressful, not sure what will happen. Nobody wants to be the next Syria here...

And then we also have a guest til next Monday, but I have completed my todos for this week, so it's good. Hopefully next week I will have more time to update and read everybody's threads!

Yesterday: yoga

Today:

Goal 1: Bent arm press - session 3/15

Pike press / negative to tuck / bonus linking:

1 fall – 1 fail – 1 fall – 1 rep /  linking / 1 rep falling over – 1 fail – 1 fall – 1 rep / linking / 1 rep going down quick  - that was a lot of attempts.... reps = 3/4 linking = 2

Straddle bent arm press:  1 fall - 3 reps falling over - 3 reps falling over => rated as 2.5 reps

HSPU: found a place but tiny, belly against wall at slight angle + 2 cushions: 3 reps, linking once.

Thanks for your thoughts :) We went hiking a wee bit in the mountains yesterday, and crossing Tehran there was nothing to report really. Will see this morning when going to work how things look like (level of security).

Here is a wee pic from Darakeh, where we stopped for lunch after a few hours (you can climb for hours and still find a kebab place :P ). No snow, last year we had some in December. And this year nothing, there are barely a few white spots higher up.

darakeh.thumb.jpg.5458685c72f013979794aab87b6b4940.jpg

So so so...

Goal 1: Bent arm press - session 4/15

Pike press / negative to tuck / bonus linking:  1 rep - linking - 1 rep /  1 rep - 2 falls – 1 fail – 1 rep => 4/4 reps 1/3 linking

Straddle bent arm press: 3 reps and fall - 4 reps

Bent arm press hold: 34s

I'm ending a lot doing a fair bit of volume just to get my reps in... but it's good I suppose. Holds are really good right now because I keep falling over again and again, not sure why!

Goal 2: Aerial drills, session 3/10

Front balance: right 1.3 / 1 / 1, left 0.9 / 0.8 / 0.9, got my hands mixed up a bit on the right, scores not really improving but my shoulders are feeling the stuff, especially the left

Knee climbs: 1 / 1.2 / 1.2 flesh out, holding a bit longer while transitioning upwards (2 knees + 1 hand hold)

All this took 1 hour with warmup (floor, parallettes, aerial) and stretching cool down.

Rushing to work...

• Like 3

So it's business as usual in town, nothing to report! Except snow! It just started snowing! Not sure it will hold though.

Today I was supposed to rest and stretch but I had an idea for the Assassin Level Up goal, got up early and now I'm absolutely knackered. Also added a couple of new purple bruises to my collection, very "chic" :P

Goal 3: Assassin level up

So first here is a mix of bit and pieces to test the "zap" / teleportation idea from last week (video editing mostly). I need to work the zap proper (the second zap is just a still picture). Not sure about the teleported look either, but that's how it is for now.

YouTube is not happy with me mixing Dexter's audio so the video is blocked in the US... I found another place to host it...

And then this morning I worked on finding a sequence towards freeing the ball.

I had a basic working idea from hip lock but no good way to get into hip lock with the ball up like this.

I thought I could try from a front balance with one silk hanging from the bar, and to my great surprise it is possible!
Here is a sample run. It's still very raw from the movement factory, please bear with me :P

It's also a bit long if I want to include things like getting zapped and teleported. I will see how long it really takes when I get used to it / clean up the stuff.

At the end I would like to back roll away quickly and disappear but I haven't reached that level of stealth in my apprenticeship yet :D

So lots of bits and pieces coming up, and still a lot to figure out! But it's fun

• Like 2

Glad you're having fun with it - the videos look great. I hadn't realized how large the structure was, but it does give you a fair bit of movement room. The end with bringing the ball down and going back into hiding was visually spiffy. Keep it up!

On 1/6/2018 at 7:47 AM, @mu said:

(you can climb for hours and still find a kebab place :P ).

Now that's a good place for hiking. :D 

Very cool videos! Very cute and creative. I like how you incorporate the rig itself into the performance, I mean, you might as well make the most of it given its limitations! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Glad you're having fun with it - the videos look great. I hadn't realized how large the structure was, but it does give you a fair bit of movement room. The end with bringing the ball down and going back into hiding was visually spiffy. Keep it up!

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Very cool videos! Very cute and creative. I like how you incorporate the rig itself into the performance, I mean, you might as well make the most of it given its limitations! 

8 hours ago, tei_ said:

Omg I love the draft of the Dexter theme video! So cool!

Thank you guys!

Our friend flew back today. She had brought us some chocolate (Ferrero Roche d'Or) and a French cheese  selection :love-struck: and coffee!

At first I was like ok, let's make it last :P but well erm :D Cheese and chocolate are almost all gone.  Mostly devoured by me :unconscious: I barely managed to leave some for my other half to enjoy. I'm not sure he even had one chocolate yet.

Lots of DOMs today, ouch, so I just did some parallettes and a yoga session for neck and shoulder relief with Adriene + a few more stretches.

Goal 1: Bent arm press - session 5/15

Pike press / negative to tuck / bonus linking:  1 rep - linking - 1 rep /  1 rep - 1 rep => 4/4 reps 1/3 linking

Very happy with this, no fall, no extra reps needed. I could not have linked more than once, too hard on my shoulders / upper back.

Straddle bent arm press: 4.5 reps meaning I did 5 but the last one was not pretty

Frog hold on parallettes: 55s

Then yoga. Tomorrow I will definitely need a bit more stretching.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, @mu said:

At first I was like ok, let's make it last :P but well erm :D Cheese and chocolate are almost all gone.  Mostly devoured by me :unconscious: I barely managed to leave some for my other half to enjoy. I'm not sure he even had one chocolate yet.

Hey, you've gotta fuel your gainzz. :D 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hey, you've gotta fuel your gainzz. :D 

:lol:

This morning: ~1h full body streeeetching, from neck to toe.

I have a copy of this book:
https://books.google.com/books/about/Stretching_Anatomy.html?id=73WibUBcSJoC

It's not the contortionist handbook but it's very useful to identify muscles affected by DOMs and stretch the right areas. It's very good, the illustrations are great, highly recommend it.

1 hour ago, LouCarJo said:

Me too and ditto!

Thank you very much!

It seems to have ended with pro-regime demonstrations, unsurprisingly

I'm starting to understand why the level of paranoia tends to be quite high in the region. International news are not always very accurate (they get very excited about Iran, in all possible ways). The national news is not very reliable either... People on social media are very very active here but you can't be sure of anything either... It feels like juggling with contradictory bits of information, opinions, bias, agendas...

Well, it's not just a local problem, proper journalism is getting a beating these days, isn't it (clickbait headlines, sensationalism, content delivery in less than 144 characters... )
In any case, I didn't witness anything myself except higher security last week. I didn't go to join the protests partly because I have a slight foreigner look, I'm an easy target for the authorities and I'm not particularly brave, partly because it was not clear who was saying what and where (beyond economical demands), on videos I heard pro-Shah slogans and pro-Ahmadinejad slogans. I have no attraction for these groups.

1 hour ago, LouCarJo said:

Also, I like how your cat found a good vantage point to look on at your video performance!

:D yes I would like to do partner work with her, she plays well, but only when she likes and only according to her rules.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, @mu said:

Well, it's not just a local problem, proper journalism is getting a beating these days, isn't it

Oh yeah. Not to mention that we only get to read articles agreeing with opinions we already have...

Definitely better to stay safe then sorry though, you never know which direction demonstrations will take. Especially when you're not fully behind the cause.

6 minutes ago, @mu said:

:D yes I would like to do partner work with her, she plays well, but only when she likes and only according to her rules.

Well, yeah. She's a cat. :P 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, @mu said:

I'm starting to understand why the level of paranoia tends to be quite high in the region. International news are not always very accurate (they get very excited about Iran, in all possible ways). The national news is not very reliable either... People on social media are very very active here but you can't be sure of anything either... It feels like juggling with contradictory bits of information, opinions, bias, agendas...

Have you lived there a long tome, or are you coming from elsewhere?