• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

@mu

Assassin level up

56 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ooh nice! Not so nice delivery time though. :P 

yeah, it's pre-order at this point, but something to keep an eye out for. :)

Ahhh, those videos are so fun. And I love the hiking pic. 

Ugh, yeah, re: journalism and journalistic integrity (and lack there of).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sylph said:

Excellent! Thanks for sharing! Better late than never hey

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh yeah. Not to mention that we only get to read articles agreeing with opinions we already have...

And that, yes...

2 hours ago, tei_ said:

Have you lived there a long tome, or are you coming from elsewhere?

I have been here 3 years. Before that, to make it it as brief as possible, I was born and grew up in Western Africa, then I spent my teenager years / early adulthood in western Europe.

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Ugh, yeah, re: journalism and journalistic integrity (and lack there of).

Yes, it's a bit terrifying sometimes, we are swimming in an ocean of information and yet...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, @mu said:

I have been here 3 years. Before that, to make it it as brief as possible, I was born and grew up in Western Africa, then I spent my teenager years / early adulthood in western Europe.

Cool. That's quite the variety of cultures you've experienced! How have you found the different transitions?

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Cool. That's quite the variety of cultures you've experienced! How have you found the different transitions?

Spot on question, and huge topic :P How to summarise this, mhm.

Retrospectively, the childhood transitions were a bit difficult, they happened a bit too quickly with no time for proper closure. Especially to Europe. The transition was brutal (both my parents had a medical evacuation), so I was handed over to grand-parents in a small town in the middle of the school year... Since I'm French, people didn't think I'd get a sort of culture shock living in France but I did and it was left fairly unprocessed. It affected me for a long time at a fairly deep level.

Then when I moved to Scotland, I was able to revisit these past issues (partly with professional help). Basically a lot of unresolved grief / very stretchy boundaries / compartmentalized thinking to be able to contain world views I grew up with but that were sometimes in conflict with each other.

And of course to appreciate the positive aspects :)

Then when I came here, I had prepared myself, had had a proper closure, went through the process much more consciously as an adult. So it was fine.

This is for the process. Now for the specifics of each country, it's a very wide topic. A bigger cultural gap (say Scotland / Iran) does not necessarily mean the transition was harder. In Scotland, I had to handle a lot of stuff completely alone. It was ok, but in Iran, it was much easier because I got a lot of support from a lot of people.

Yourself you have lived in different countries if I recall correctly? How did you go through that?

• Like 2

Update

Goal 1: Bent arm press - session 6/15

Pike press / negative to tuck / bonus linking: 2 reps with linking - 1 rep almost 1 linking but failed - 1 rep=> reps: 4/4 linking: 1/3

Straddle bent arm press: 3 reps (fall) - 5 reps (not pretty)

HSPU: 3 negatives, no going back up - 2 cushions, belly against the wall but my form is poor, elbows are flaring out. I will have to check a few videos to see what it should look like / how to improve this.

Goal 2: Aerial drills, session 4/10

Front balance: right 1.5 / 1.4 / 1.5, left 1.1 / 1.2 / 0.8 - could do 2 full transitions to hip lock on the left but last run, I was too tired. Right side improved a lot, it feels stronger, did the full thing but remove points for form (better alignment / pointing toes / I monkey the hip lock)

Knee climbs: 1.3 / 1.1 / 1.2 a wee bit of improvement on 2 knees + 1 hand hold (right knee still > left)

(all scores are over 2)

Charts!!

nf2-bap-w2.jpg.a439db319dbfb8f52b5ce7402cbe7181.jpg

In red are supporting exercises.  The trend lines look realistic. What it does not show is the amount of volume that I had to do last week to hit my reps... this week was much more efficient in that regard.

And here is the aerial bit.

nf2-aerial-drills-w2.jpg.bd10e96be709676ac5abe0ba0e87c5a6.jpg

I don't think progress will be linear on this and I'm sure the trend line steepness will go down, but that's fine as long as it goes up a little.

• Like 3

Graphs! I love graphs. Good idea. I'm going to keep that in mind, because being able to see improvement/changes like that (you've made measurable progress in just a bit over a week!) could be a good little psychological boost. Beautiful hiking pic, too, btw.

Yes, for body weight stuff, it is not always easy to measure progress. Number of reps, hold time, ok that's measurable. But sometimes you get stuck at one progression with x number of reps, it's very frustrating, and you don't necessarily realise that you are still improving (better alignment, looking "prettier", feeling "easier").

The charts are for 2 weeks though, I started before January 1st, and my week starts on Saturday. Thursday/Friday being the week-end, where I would usually work on the Assassin Level Up stuff.

• Like 3

Graaaaaphs. That is nice. 

I do love videos for trying to benchmark bodyweight activities/skills though, because as you mention, it is very hard to see the progress in the reps if you aren't SEEING the reps. 

13 hours ago, @mu said:

Spot on question, and huge topic :P How to summarise this, mhm.

Haha yeah that question really warrants an evening of conversation! But thanks for the sneak peak. ;) I found it very interesting how the difficulty of the transition is not necessarily related to the cultural differences. Which makes sense, but it's still interesting to hear it from someone with such a broad perspective. Sorry to hear you've had such rough experiences at times though. Can't be easy to move around at such a young age, especially without any preparation.

I've lived in a few different countries, but they've all been culturally very similar. Sure there have been differences, but the much larger impact has always been from who my friends were and from my immediate environment like school or work.

22 hours ago, @mu said:

Yes, for body weight stuff, it is not always easy to measure progress. Number of reps, hold time, ok that's measurable. But sometimes you get stuck at one progression with x number of reps, it's very frustrating, and you don't necessarily realise that you are still improving (better alignment, looking "prettier", feeling "easier").

Definitely this.  I’m working towards a pull up and it’s so hard to keep motivated when progress is glacial and hard to see.  I fall back on a really subjective “feel” that there has or has not been improvement.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 6:02 PM, raptron said:

I do love videos for trying to benchmark bodyweight activities/skills

Yes true, I started doing this.

This is what my bent arm press practice looked like in May 2017 (sorry for the bad quality gif, I can't be harassed with YouTube). I really couldn't manage more than this.

bap.gif.4864944c81ec8a502605a3074f582317.gif

On 1/10/2018 at 11:11 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Sure there have been differences, but the much larger impact has always been from who my friends were and from my immediate environment like school or work.

Yes, +1 on this, relationships have a greater impact.

It was my BD yesterday :drunk: one more turn round the sun....

Look at these beauties:

shirini.jpg.bee98d988fec794f712906ebc9fb1434.jpg

Creamy chewy macaron, nutty tart :P and carrot cake. I had slightly more than just 3... and it was deliciooooous!

I also got an electric sort of pumice thingy. Not the glamourous sort of gift but I so needed it. I have had very tough calluses on my feet for years and I haven't been able to get rid of them. It gets quite painful sometimes. The gadget is working wonders. It's like I got a new pair of feet! I still have go through a few areas but it's such an improvement.

I also did some Assassin Level Up practice. 2+ hours. Knackered myself again but I haven't really found any new things. I just improved a bit my zapped face... and realised I could straddle up from long arms again on the right side. But not with straight legs, I'm in the ugly middle between conventional bent legs and straight legs. Left side is not so responsive though. But it might a good conditioning goal for the next challenge or so.

Re the video, this is the state of things so far:

intro / ok
transition / todo
undercover climb  -> hand zap / ok but video re-take needed, and during the night I got another idea to try out as an undercover climb
bar hang -> head zap / 50%
double footlock bent knees -> foot zap / 50%
front balance -> free the ball / ok needs clean up + polishing

Now I have to take some rest because my left side is a bit too painful  (upperback and delt). I trained more than usual last week and I feel it. Let's not be an idiot about this and rest proper. Today and possibly tomorrow.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, @mu said:

I also got an electric sort of pumice thingy. Not the glamourous sort of gift but I so needed it. I have had very tough calluses on my feet for years and I haven't been able to get rid of them. It gets quite painful sometimes. The gadget is working wonders. It's like I got a new pair of feet! I still have go through a few areas but it's such an improvement.

in addition to the pumice, get a soft thick pair of socks to wear to bed. Before you put them on, really slather your feet with body moisturizer. Any kind will do, just use a LOT. Your feet will absorb it during the night. Do this for a few nights, and not only will it help your calluses slough off, but it will heal any cracks you have in your heels.

I did this and actually made my feet *too* soft - I couldn't do a proper pivot in my round kicks any more, because my calluses were completely gone and the bottom of my foot couldn't slide on the mat!  So stop before you get to that point. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :D 

Those pastries look amaaaaazing

15 hours ago, raptron said:

Happy belated birthday! Those treats loooook delectable. :)

Get your rest on! Muscles are made in bed. 

16 hours ago, sylph said:

Happy birthday!

And definitely don't overdo it. Knowing your limits is a smart thing.

5 hours ago, tei_ said:

Happy birthday! Those look amazing...

Thanks you guys!

Yesterday I prepared some "crêpes bretonnes" for work today. Usually they buy a cake for BDs, and we have a special 4pm meeting to celebrate. But cakes here are always spongy stuff. Pastries have a lot of variety but cakes not so much. Last week we had a couple of birthdays already. So I'm bringing in home-made French crepes for a change.

11 hours ago, otterbyte said:

in addition to the pumice, get a soft thick pair of socks to wear to bed. Before you put them on, really slather your feet with body moisturizer. Any kind will do, just use a LOT. Your feet will absorb it during the night. Do this for a few nights, and not only will it help your calluses slough off, but it will heal any cracks you have in your heels.

I did this and actually made my feet *too* soft - I couldn't do a proper pivot in my round kicks any more, because my calluses were completely gone and the bottom of my foot couldn't slide on the mat!  So stop before you get to that point. :rolleyes:

ouch! indeed good point! I did the moisturizer + sock thing for a long time (the past year basically). It did mollify things a bit but with a pumice stone I never managed to reduce the calluses that much. But now it is working! I have reached the level where I can see the cracks that were hurting me. Feels like archaeology....  Moisturizing over 2 nights and my feet have softened quite a bit now but I will be careful indeed. Maybe the same level as my hands, a bit of calluses but not too much.

Yesterday was indeed full rest. Well apart from cooking the crepes which took a long time... And I gave the cat the bath she needed. But she is good-natured, she took it fairly well for a cat. Now she is all fluffy.

And this morning full body stretch, but nothing too deep. My lats and abs were very sore yesterday. Stretching was good but I still have bits bothering me on my left side.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Mmm nice.

My husband was half-crying this morning "I waaaant a crepe"  (he had some yesterday already). Then I went to work and we had the crepes for breakfast. At 4pm, I get a call "Please come my computer is not workiiiiing",  I honestly thought it was a genuine call for help since we already had crepes. I come in and bam surprise cake party :P My colleagues are really sweet.
I brought the left over home and my other half is of course very happy (let go of the crepes / got cake instead, not a bad deal).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Not just you btw. :D:D 

:lol: It's the little sigh at the end of the video that breaks my heart, though....like, "Welp, now there's *that* in my lifestory."

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, otterbyte said:

:lol: It's the little sigh at the end of the video that breaks my heart, though....like, "Welp, now there's *that* in my lifestory."

I interpreted that as meaning this was a frequent occurrence :P

• Haha 1

Thanks!

So today I stretched again as my left side is not back to its usual self. I feel a sort of diffuse pain that will have to go away before I start again. No sharp pain, no restriction in my range of movement, can press some, pull some, but I prefer not too risk it just now because it does not feel like just DOMs.

I think the "creative" stuff tipped me over because I ended up trying different transitions that my body is not used to, and I really knackered myself. And the parallette linking reps are very hard on my upper back and shoulders already so here we go.

I found a physio exercise that I used when I winged my right scapula (years ago), and that gives me a very good release. I'm not sure but I think there is a muscle under the scapula that is a bit twisted and this gives me discomfort in the whole area. And my left triceps + biceps + pecs upper attachments feel a bit sprained... If it's not getting better I will check it out with a physio.
So in the meantime, I did careful upper body stretches, physio exercises, and played with legs / lower back. With some ball drills in it.

I may have to take the whole week of the challenge to be on the safe side (I really really don't want to end up with a shoulder tear).

Bu it's ok, my sloppy legs need straightening work, and I can have some focus on splits/pancake and lower back bend stuff. Do some ball manipulation. My right side won't mind the deload either. So be it!