Assassin level up

@mu

Monday: stretching, splits / back, on floor and sling, ball drills ~50mn
Tuesday: REST

Today

Goal 1: Bent Arm Press - Session 12/15

pike press to tuck negatives:  1 rep - linking - 1 rep - a wee rest - 1 rep - linking - 1 rep !!!! Yahooooo! First time I manage to link twice in a single session. I still can't do 2 in a row but it's good to be able to get it one more time. 4/4 reps 2/3 linking

straddle bent arm press: 6! last one was so so but still! 6/6!

HSPU negs on sling: 3 with arching/elbow flaring. I just need to keep at it to get the form right basically.

Goal 3: Assassin Level Up

Several runs of the final sequence but got interrupted a lot: cat, husband :lol: ball fell several times, once I forgot to press the record button on my tablet, another time my head was out of the frame...A lot of details to think about and little left for actual aerial stuff meh... I don't think I have anything usable on record. Did about 1/2 hour and called it a day.

On a side news, I've grown some pecs. My husband was also shocked :D:lol: It has to be the parallettes. Pecs, triceps, traps and rhomboids. I don't think I fully felt my rhomboids before parallettes  :lol:

• Like 3

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

Oh actually I checked my logs, I managed to link 2x before on parallettes. Just that one time:

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/105281-assassin-level-up/&do=findComment&comment=2308977

I had a lot of fails/falls between the 2. I will do this now, if I can't manage 2 in a row, I will rest a bit longer before the next attempt.

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

11 hours ago, @mu said:

Monday: stretching, splits / back, on floor and sling, ball drills ~50mn
Tuesday: REST

Today

Goal 1: Bent Arm Press - Session 12/15

pike press to tuck negatives:  1 rep - linking - 1 rep - a wee rest - 1 rep - linking - 1 rep !!!! Yahooooo! First time I manage to link twice in a single session. I still can't do 2 in a row but it's good to be able to get it one more time. 4/4 reps 2/3 linking

straddle bent arm press: 6! last one was so so but still! 6/6!

HSPU negs on sling: 3 with arching/elbow flaring. I just need to keep at it to get the form right basically.

Several runs of the final sequence but got interrupted a lot: cat, husband :lol: ball fell several times, once I forgot to press the record button on my tablet, another time my head was out of the frame...A lot of details to think about and little left for actual aerial stuff meh... I don't think I have anything usable on record. Did about 1/2 hour and called it a day.

On a side news, I've grown some pecs. My husband was also shocked :D:lol: It has to be the parallettes. Pecs, triceps, traps and rhomboids. I don't think I fully felt my rhomboids before parallettes  :lol:

Awesomeeee. :D 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

8 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

And to pecs!  I am rather taken by my arm muscles now and sit and rub them frequently!

:D I definitely do this too, and flex in front of the mirror every so often, oh hello muscle :lol:

Yesterday was terribly polluted and we did quite a bit of walking at peak hour to go to a cinema. Resulting in a really bad pollution headache + feeling nauseous (intoxication symptoms really....) til morning, for both of us. Headache pills finally did their job. Had an Assassin Level Up session and a nap, like 6 hours :blink: I just woke up.

Worked on the last sequence for 1+ hour. Got sort of something. It is still too long. But I do now have a full draft covering the song with, well, a speed up of the video in the last sequence... At least, it's a baseline, erm..

I have been bad though, I didn't do my post-workout stretching today....  it's an element I focused on in my last challenge, and today I got into my bad habit again. I will at least get some shoulder stuff before going to bed...

8 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Yay for performance progress!  

Cheers! I feel pressed to clarify though :lol: I wouldn't call it a performance, to be fair and realist you know, because it is not live and it is not a recording of continuous sequencing either. It's more like a video montage of bits and pieces along a story line. That's all I can manage for now ^_^

I have started thinking about the next challenge ... I will continue along the same lines, but I think I will split my Goal 3 into something a bit more amenable.

If I recap on my Goal 3 impressions so far:

+ it really upped my training time without me thinking about it. I was supposed to do it once a week, so far I have had 7 training sessions, totaling ~8.30 hours (not including time spent on video editing...)
+ it got me into moves / positions that I am not used to and I had to work on transition/bars/ball puzzles, get used to the apparatus, use it as a whole
+ it is frustrating to want to do things that I can't quite do yet (more strength / more practice needed) but it is good to confront that frustration: stop expecting, just do what you can with what you have now and keep at it. I need more of this type of practice.
+ I'm definitely learning video editing skills (I had none except converting formats, I'm a coder/text/command line person, not really into media/visual things)
-  way too much stuff to think about at this stage: the bars, the ball, the silks, the lack of height, the music, the story line that got a bit crazy with getting zapped and teleportation, the different video takes (issues with angle variations, time of the day, level of mess in the room...). In the end, there isn't that much aerial into it (training time is useful  though).

I will definitely have something similar in the next challenge, but maybe split some areas and have fewer constraints.
I'm thinking of something like:

• a block on movement quality/awareness: take a small sequence that I can already do and instead of doing plain/pedestrian reps, experiment with movement quality (e.g. slow and sustained versus flickery versus minimalist).
  • a block on a couple of puzzles related to my apparatus, for instance being able to wrap at the very top of it, find exits when the floor is very close...
  • a block on sequencing with music, but no constraint on theme/music/length. Just start putting stuff together. Maybe with the ball if I get there but as a bonus only...
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, @mu said:

I have been bad though, I didn't do my post-workout stretching today....  it's an element I focused on my last challenge, and today I got into my bad habit again. I will at least get some shoulder stuff before going to bed...

Uggh I've become so bad at cool downs/post work out stretching lately. Usually we go straight home after climbing, unless one of my friends does abs, in which I either semi join in (but do weird circus abs. :P) or more commonly I start playing with handstands. NOT THE SAME! Before bed sounds like a good idea though. :) 

Great reflections and I really like your ideas for the next challenge!

Thanks! Got some stretching done, very minimalist though...

During theatre practice, I got to talk with a young woman doing acro and gymnastics (yeah!!) . I got all the info on 2 good gyms in Tehran. One is not too far from my place. Apparently it has crash mats, rings, beams, bars, proper flooring... No rope or silks stuff, but I might be able to find a secure rig! And in any case, it would be great, there is coached practice for adults as well! 
She said she will take me there and show me around. Apparently it is not very expensive either. Will wait til I see it but it would be really cooool!

Theatre is also very interesting. Lots of dancing and singing. Always sort of walking the line. No erotic/sexy stuff obviously, and women sing in a chorus with one leading  - with a fantastic voice (on Carmen!). It's great to watch.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, @mu said:

During theatre practice, I got to talk with a young woman doing acro and gymnastics (yeah!!) . I got all the info on 2 good gyms in Tehran. One is not too far from my place. Apparently it has crash mats, rings, beams, bars, proper flooring... No rope or silks stuff, but I might be able to find a secure rig! And in any case, it would be great, there is coached practice for adults as well! 
She said she will take me there and show me around. Apparently it is not very expensive either. Will wait til I see it but it would be really cooool!

!!! So exciting! 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Will see how it goes because I have had false hopes before!

Yesterday was rest, so to speak.

Today

Goal 1: Bent Arm Press - Session 13/15

pike press to tuck negatives:  1 rep - linking - 1 rep - a wee rest - 1 rep - linking - 1 rep  :D 4/4 reps 2/3 linking

straddle bent arm press: 6/6 but last one was really ugly again

bent arm press hold: 20s 12s 33s - ok but not great. I'm sort of relaxing into it... and losing it of course (I arched and fell over each time)

Goal 2: Aerial drills - Session 9/10

Front balance:  1.4 / 1.6 / 1.6 Right 1.3 / 1 (not very good) / 1.5 Left => blimey I realised my pressing arm is not straight, how did I not see this before?!

Double knee climb: 1.6 => a quarter/half second with no hand :D I started slipping quick though / 1.5 back to 2 knees+1 hand hold / 1.5 same with leggings covering my under knees

Here is the gif :lol: I still can't quite get the silks back up in the crease of my knees, this is usually how it works to hold proper. It might be easier with 2 knees on one silks. Will give it a try for the last session.

knee-climb-no-hand-01.gif.408ed0634bdb1ebbe8a5d1c1e5f7f4f6.gif

And a good final stretching session...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Great gif that. :D 

12 hours ago, sylph said:

Oh, knee hangs are so hard on the silks...the laws of friction are not with us. :D

47 minutes ago, tei_ said:

Ha, I love that gif. I know the "I TOOK MY HANDS OFF, IT COUNTS" moment all too well :P

:D a true visual on the quarter second TADAAAA moment :lol:

Look what we woke up to this morning! We had a wee walk with the kitten (her first snow). I mostly carried her on my shoulder, she wasn't feeling so brave (+ it's too cold for her paws). The snow took out all the pollution, the air is SO GOOD!

20180128_085017.jpg.5055173734a94ce4695275ccf52fd13d.jpg

20180128_085127.jpg.94c1c06f3f7c788a35a453988df690dc.jpg

20180128_085400.jpg.a076067372d0e8604ff6ae43c3a28c40.jpg

And ~45mn stretching session, with a back/front bend focus, and some ball drills.

• Like 4

I’d definitely call your videos performances because they’re of you doing stuff, even if not as polished as you’d like.

That gym does sound very promising.  You’ll need to report back if reality lives up to the promise.

Hands off momentarily definitely counts!  Something to build on.

All the snow, so pretty!  Glad it’s sorted the air quality out too.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

That gym does sound very promising.  You’ll need to report back if reality lives up to the promise.

Yes will see!

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Jazz hands and everything. ;) 

My brain had this idea that hand flapping could help fight gravity  :D

Today

Goal 1: Bent Arm Press - Session 14/15

pike press to tuck negatives:  1 rep - linking - 1 rep - a wee rest - 1 rep - linking - 1 rep  => ok getting consistent 4/4 reps 2/3 linking. I tried hard linking twice in a row, but it's just not happening.

straddle bent arm press:  3 then 5, meh

frog hold: 80s (only minor cat annoyance, that helped)

Goal 2: Aerial Drills - Session 10/10 - last session!

Front balance:   Right 1.6 / 1.4 / 1.7 (much cleaner hip lock transition) Left => 1.4 / 1.3 / 1.2 (went downhill today...)

Pressing arm is still bent, a little on the R, a much bigger bend on the L :~ I can still hold a fair amount of time now but if I had a straight arm, I would probably waste less energy....

Knee climb:  1.5 / 1.5 / 1.5 nothing new. I tried 2 knees on one silks and it is the same. I get to 2 knees + 1 hand hold but no more than that. No brownies!

This was my last session. Here is the chart. The hole in the middle corresponds to my take-it-easy week so that my left side could recover properly.

chart-aerial.jpg.5713cba16842ac0fd77efc67e7a8351a.jpg

I watched my first video of the move, and things have improved a bit but nothing huge. I'm definitely slower, hold my front balance longer, on the left I can now transition consistently to hip lock (wasn't the case before). Knee grip has been getting a bit stronger. Overall I'm a bit more consistent through my runs, and my left side is getting closer to my right side indeed.

Summary for this goal would be: the devil is in the details...

A few runs of beginning and middle sections. Some moves were a bit more polished but not so funny to watch to be honest :lol: , so I still haven't changed much of my baseline draft.

• Like 2

Omgosh adorable snow kitten. <3 

And yesss, that consistency improving is huge though. 

Raptron, alot assassin

On 1/29/2018 at 6:24 PM, raptron said:

And yesss, that consistency improving is huge though. 

True. It is also hard to sequence moves when consistency is limited, might be one reason I get a bit frustrated, not just stamina.

Yesterday: ~45mn stretching focusing on back/front bends + ball drills

Today

Goal 1: Bent Arm Press - Session 15/15 - last session!

pike press to tuck negatives:  fall - fall - 1 rep - linking - 1 rep - a wee rest - 1 rep - linking - 1 rep . Still can't do twice in a row but trying hard.

straddle bent arm press:  6 but last one really ugly again

HSPUs on sling: 3  going back up, but knot was a bit high = easier (being at the bottom is almost restful). Form is also a bit fishy.

Feeling a bit tired and lazy to be honest (work load went a bit higher up).

Here is the chart for Goal 1, since it was my last session. Again, hole in the middle was the low intensity week for my left side.

chart-bap.jpg.5d9294392d1dd63e7587bb7bc768171a.jpg

What to say mhm

• HSPU: flat line was expected, I need to work on form on those before doing more volume / making it harder
  • Straddle bent arm press went up, 6th is still bloody hard
  • Linked reps on tuck press: to be continued...
  • It's interesting that I progressed easily on frog but bent arm press hold is still in the 30s range. I do still fall a lot as well. I lose it from the abs / core I think. To be continued!

• Like 3

On 1/31/2018 at 11:29 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Very nice chart :) Six presses is impressive!

Thanks!

Okidoki, this morning I had a warmup and a couple of runs. Miraculously the timing was ok so I could exactly replace previous clips in my video editor timeline. The “chroma hold” thingy (that retains a single color) is a bit of a pain to work with. Depending on the light, I can't quite get it the way I want. The other pain in the bum is framing myself... here and there I have a leg out. But so be it! Let's move on.

Now I have an issue with YouTube because of the music copyright... Same on Daily Motion... I'd be happy to give a few coins to sort it out, but I don't have the option!

So if you are in

American Samoa, Canada, Guam, Mexico, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, United States, United States Minor Outlying Islands, United States Virgin Islands

you can download the video (~8.5M - small and compressed) here: https://ufile.io/wbzbs (link will expire at some point)

And if not, you should be able to both watch and hear just fine below.

So... this is what happened :lol:

Next challenge, I think I will have something similar again (with fewer constraints probably).

And that's it, challenge is over for me! I will now start looking into the next one, exciting!

• Like 1