Kestrel Builds A Temple - Part 1 (Foundations)

Kestrel Grey

2018 - Kestrel Builds A Temple - Part 1 (Foundations)

Related image

My temple may be built in the clouds, but it is getting a solid foundation anyway

1. Prepare the ground for building

• Continue to plan my meals with MFP.
  • Continue the ban on sugar/junk/processed foods. After week three I can have two items a week as long as I am between 1450-1600 calories and at least 100g protein per day.
  • If I have lost less than 0.2% bodyfat for two weeks in a row, I add burpee tabatas 4x/week.

2. Build a strong (running) base

• Stick with easy runs + strides.
  • 9 miles a week, adding one mile every week.
  • Okay to scale back any time my foot aches for longer than that day.

3. Use my building materials (time and energy) wisely

• Daily mundane tasks are to be completed within an hour of waking, so I am not wasting valuable high-energy time on them (start laundry, shower, teeth and skincare,  make my tea and enter the day's meals into MFP).
  • Exercise daily at noon whenever possible to prevent the afternoon energy slump.
  • Bird training, my most attention-demanding task, will be done immediately after exercising.
  • Spend 5 minutes after dinner on whichever important task I have been avoiding the most.

Minutiae

These are the items that didn't make the cut for Challenge Goals, but are still things I plan on accomplishing:

• Daily walks outdoors
  • Take my vitamins, especially Vitamin D
  • Strength training 2-3x/week
  • Daily stretching, mobility work, and physiotherapy exercises
  • Spanish language practise
  • Like 6

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

My thoughts on this challenge and this year:

My last two challenges of 2017 were among my most successful despite the fact that I had very little energy.  I attribute this to two things; my goals were very easy habit-forming, and I had an IRL accountabilibuddy.  So my priority will be continuing both of those this year.

There is a full six months before my first major event of 2018, so I would like to take a couple months simply building up the base that will support me through higher level training later in the year.  This means I want to lose the last few pounds of excess fat (and keep my little strength) so I can switch into muscle-building mode in the Spring.  I also want to increase my running mileage before I start working on speed/thresholds/anything fancy.  Finally I want to set the stress-lowering habits that will allow me to later add training stress.  I have a few thoughts on how to do all this but I need to make sure I am not overwhelmed by all my changes to prevent me from being overwhelmed. :D 

Last challenge when Tank had us write lines, I chose "I act with faith. I do not react from fear."  This encapsulates a lot about how I want to approach this year.  With optimism. With faith in myself, and in the goodness of other people.  With determination and calm execution of my goals, despite the noise that tries to derail me.  With tranquillity.  When I travelled through Europe for the first time I was blown away by the cathedrals.  The churches I'd seen were little things, or at best clunky, and I didn't know that a man-made structure could fill you with the same level of awe and the feeling of more-than-yourself that a vast night sky, or sitting on a mountain top at dawn, could give you.  That is what I want to build this year.  A life that encapsulates that feeling every day.

(Sorry for the Feels.  You can blame Christmas.)

• Like 6

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

4 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Last challenge when Tank had us write lines, I chose "I act with faith. I do not react from fear."  This encapsulates a lot about how I want to approach this year.  With optimism. With faith in myself, and in the goodness of other people.  With determination and calm execution of my goals, despite the noise that tries to derail me.  With tranquillity.  When I travelled through Europe for the first time I was blown away by the cathedrals.  The churches I'd seen were little things, or at best clunky, and I didn't know that a man-made structure could fill you with the same level of awe and the feeling of more-than-yourself that a vast night sky, or sitting on a mountain top at dawn, could give you.  That is what I want to build this year.  A life that encapsulates that feeling every day.

Sorry to come out of nowhere like a vile assassin (posting rate is a bit low over there compared to rangers :P )  but this is really beautiful! Really. We can talk a lot about getting on with a meaningful life and so on, but your image is so strikingly accurate to me. Maybe part of it (for me) is the need for containment / feeling contained. And also keeping the ability to feel awe, and peace. Thanks for these words :)

Have a good holiday!

• Like 2

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

Following along again :)

And you know, I think everyone is feeling the feels right now. At the very least it's bringing out everyone's inner bard, because I'm seeing some amazingly articulated pieces of writing around here, and this:

5 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Definitely one of them.

It's an admirable goal, and I have every confidence you can achieve it.

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

10 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

• Bird training, my most attention-demanding task, will be done immediately after exercising.

*eyes light up with fascination!!*

tenor.gif

9 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

(Sorry for the Feels.  You can blame Christmas.)

Can confirm; v. bardly. :)  I agree with the others; this is very profound and striking.  You TOTALLY have it in you to create that life feeling, I just know it!!

(Following along to see it happen, too!)

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

I love your write up on how you want to approach this year.  Also loving your idea of writing down the minutiae, stuff that didn't make the goals, but needs to get done.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Following.  Sounds like a really great challenge!

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

17 hours ago, @mu said:

Sorry to come out of nowhere like a vile assassin (posting rate is a bit low over there compared to rangers :P )  but this is really beautiful! Really. We can talk a lot about getting on with a meaningful life and so on, but your image is so strikingly accurate to me. Maybe part of it (for me) is the need for containment / feeling contained. And also keeping the ability to feel awe, and peace. Thanks for these words :)

Have a good holiday!

Thank you, and assassins are always welcome in my temple. :)  I lurk over on your pages from time to time too.

15 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Following along again :)

And you know, I think everyone is feeling the feels right now. At the very least it's bringing out everyone's inner bard, because I'm seeing some amazingly articulated pieces of writing around here, and this:

Definitely one of them.

It's an admirable goal, and I have every confidence you can achieve it.

Awww thanks (I know what you mean, I teared up a little reading D_R's holiday speech, among others).

11 hours ago, shaar said:

*eyes light up with fascination!!*

tenor.gif

Can confirm; v. bardly. :)  I agree with the others; this is very profound and striking.  You TOTALLY have it in you to create that life feeling, I just know it!!

(Following along to see it happen, too!)

Hi!!   And the bird training is regarding my little Pacific Parrotlet.  He's got a lot of personality, so he takes quite a bit of energy.  And he knows if you are distracted - glance at your phone when he's out with you and you'll get a sharp pinch reminding you to focus. :D 

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I love your write up on how you want to approach this year.  Also loving your idea of writing down the minutiae, stuff that didn't make the goals, but needs to get done.

It seems that three goals is the limit if I want to dominate the challenge.  As I add more, I start losing focus on some of them.  So even though these are important things too I will not allow them to interfere with my most important things!

4 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Following.  Sounds like a really great challenge!

Thanks Cheetah, it's good to have you. :) 

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

Zero Week - Tuesday

I am starting my challenge this week!  I just picked up some new indoor running shoes on sale today and tried them out, but the mileage part of my challenge will start on the official Week One.  The shoes needed to fit my full-size orthotics (I had been using my Minimalist shoes with half-orthotics and my feet were starting to complain) so I ended up with a men's shoe, but I doubt anyone at the gym will judge me for it. They feel nice to run in and my feet were happy, but my toes were kind of pins-and-needley.  Hopefully not a concern?

Today was a very relaxed day after all the chaos of the holidays and my busy work week.  I tried out my morning routine with the one-hour time limit to get the unimportant stuff done - not sure how it is going to work just yet. I was doing well until some friends and family messaged me, and isn't the purpose to make sure I have time for things like family?  So I spent twenty minutes chatting with people and didn't get my routine finished on time.  I am also still not sleeping easily; my husband is overseas for a couple weeks and I always worry a little when he travels to places like Pakistan.

• Like 4

― Neil Gaiman

7 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Here to cheer you on Kestrel! Great goals and you set it out beautifully :) excited to see you progress this year! x

Thanks! Good to have you :) 

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

On 12/26/2017 at 12:28 AM, Kestrel Grey said:

I chose "I act with faith. I do not react from fear."  This encapsulates a lot about how I want to approach this year.  With optimism. With faith in myself, and in the goodness of other people

Powerful stuff, Kestrel. Even if we weren't friends already, I would follow just for that line alone ;). This is going to be a great year for you! Let Him speak and do things through you :) 

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

11 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I am also still not sleeping easily; my husband is overseas for a couple weeks and I always worry a little when he travels to places like Pakistan.

This would worry the heck out of me too!  One day at a time... <3

• Like 1

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

On 27/12/2017 at 7:17 AM, Maigahane said:

Following along!

Welcome!

Related image

On 27/12/2017 at 8:54 AM, Wild Wolf said:

Powerful stuff, Kestrel. Even if we weren't friends already, I would follow just for that line alone ;). This is going to be a great year for you! Let Him speak and do things through you :) 

Wolf

Thanks Wolfie.  I believe it will be a great year for all of us.  In reading through the challenge threads, something about this year feels like it will be a pivot point in becoming who we are meant to become.

On 27/12/2017 at 9:10 AM, shaar said:

This would worry the heck out of me too!  One day at a time... <3

<3  Thanks shaar

― Neil Gaiman

10 minutes ago, TGP said:

what is bird training exactly? 

curious

Right now we are working on the shell game.  I line up some nut shells on the table and point to one, and get him to flip over the one I point to.  Basically the next step up from simple target-touch training.  He is doing really well, but he gets distracted easily, then nips you when he gets bored because he wants the treat without having to do all the work. We might spoil him just a little, but he's such a cutie.

Image result for pacific parrotlet hand green

If you haven't seen one, this is what he looks like.

• Like 4

― Neil Gaiman

Week Zero - Wednesday and Thursday

I had a nice lifting session on Wednesday, and an enjoyable two miles of easy running today.  I've been thinking about how I want to spilt up my running mileage for this challenge; so far I am thinking three miles 3x a week on week one.  Then as I add miles I will keep 2 days the same and add to the last day.  By the end of the challenge that would mean my long day will be seven miles.

Meal planning is ticking along and I managed to avoid all treats at the movie theatre today (I finally saw Star Wars!!!).  More importantly by bf% seems to be going in the right direction again after the Christmas feasting bump.

I am enjoying the whole morning routine thing.  I find myself trying to get out of it when I first wake, but I am quite content when it is done and the best part of my day is free to work on more important things.  I used my 5 minutes of facing the things I am avoiding to work on a crochet project for a co-worker's baby girl. She is due on January 2nd so this is the time to get it done.  The project is a little beyond my abilities so it is intimidating.  Spanish practise also happened for the first time in weeks - another thing I had been putting off.  Learning a language is as frustrating as trying to get to a pull-up.  Some days it feels like I go backwards more than forwards.

Non-Challenge Stuff

Spoiler

I am happy with this challenge, and I think it will give me the structure I need, so last night I spent some time thinking about how to achieve the feeling.  One thing that came up was the concept of tithing.  My work and money have filled their purpose of giving my family safety.  Really, coming from a poor background I have more now than I ever thought I could need and I want to know that money is doing good beyond buying into the consumer-waste cycle.  My tentative plan is to make automatic giving (10% is the traditional tithe) part of my next challenge cycle so now I am on the hunt for a local charity that feels right for what I want to accomplish.  Some options: A local church goes to Nicaragua to put in water sanitation in villages.  We have a really well-run food bank locally, and the United Way has amazing programs too.  I want other people to be able to be their best selves too, because they aren't scared all the time about not being able to keep their families safe.

• Like 2

― Neil Gaiman

18 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Welcome!

Related image

Thanks Wolfie.  I believe it will be a great year for all of us.  In reading through the challenge threads, something about this year feels like it will be a pivot point in becoming who we are meant to become.

<3  Thanks shaar

I feel the same going over the threads. This year we will stop living and begin to thrive.

6 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Week Zero - Wednesday and Thursday

I had a nice lifting session on Wednesday, and an enjoyable two miles of easy running today.  I've been thinking about how I want to spilt up my running mileage for this challenge; so far I am thinking three miles 3x a week on week one.  Then as I add miles I will keep 2 days the same and add to the last day.  By the end of the challenge that would mean my long day will be seven miles.

Meal planning is ticking along and I managed to avoid all treats at the movie theatre today (I finally saw Star Wars!!!).  More importantly by bf% seems to be going in the right direction again after the Christmas feasting bump.

I am enjoying the whole morning routine thing.  I find myself trying to get out of it when I first wake, but I am quite content when it is done and the best part of my day is free to work on more important things.  I used my 5 minutes of facing the things I am avoiding to work on a crochet project for a co-worker's baby girl. She is due on January 2nd so this is the time to get it done.  The project is a little beyond my abilities so it is intimidating.  Spanish practise also happened for the first time in weeks - another thing I had been putting off.  Learning a language is as frustrating as trying to get to a pull-up.  Some days it feels like I go backwards more than forwards.

Non-Challenge Stuff

Reveal hidden contents

I am happy with this challenge, and I think it will give me the structure I need, so last night I spent some time thinking about how to achieve the feeling.  One thing that came up was the concept of tithing.  My work and money have filled their purpose of giving my family safety.  Really, coming from a poor background I have more now than I ever thought I could need and I want to know that money is doing good beyond buying into the consumer-waste cycle.  My tentative plan is to make automatic giving (10% is the traditional tithe) part of my next challenge cycle so now I am on the hunt for a local charity that feels right for what I want to accomplish.  Some options: A local church goes to Nicaragua to put in water sanitation in villages.  We have a really well-run food bank locally, and the United Way has amazing programs too.  I want other people to be able to be their best selves too, because they aren't scared all the time about not being able to keep their families safe.

I am always looking for ways to avoid hard tasks, but when i make myself work on them or actually get it completed I feel so good. You got this! Sigue adelante!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Right now we are working on the shell game.  I line up some nut shells on the table and point to one, and get him to flip over the one I point to.  Basically the next step up from simple target-touch training.  He is doing really well, but he gets distracted easily, then nips you when he gets bored because he wants the treat without having to do all the work. We might spoil him just a little, but he's such a cutie.

When I first read this I thought you meant you were getting him to actually do a flip over a nut shell, and then common sense prevailed and I realised you meant you're getting him to flip the nut shell over!

7 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Yeah, I'm the same. Unfortunately I'm quite good at persuading myself to not do what I need to do... I hear you on the language learning thing too! I'm gonna have to plunge back into that at some point soon, I think.

• Like 2

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

8 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

This is one of my favorite feelings, setting a routine in place again and slowly getting on track after enjoying a holiday or event.  LOVE IT!! :DDD

59 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

When I first read this I thought you meant you were getting him to actually do a flip over a nut shell, and then common sense prevailed and I realised you meant you're getting him to flip the nut shell over!

Now I'm picturing a bird doing backflips and it's pretty awesome.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, shaar said:

Heh, yeah, maybe that's next on the training list?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

4 hours ago, shaar said:

4 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Heh, yeah, maybe that's next on the training list?

Oooh, now this is going to have to be a thing! *rushes off to google How To Train A Bird To Flip*

Okay, I'm back and apparently flipping around (your finger) is a thing! That is definitely next on my training list. :D Thanks guys!

• Like 4

― Neil Gaiman

13 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Oooh, now this is going to have to be a thing! *rushes off to google How To Train A Bird To Flip*

Okay, I'm back and apparently flipping around (your finger) is a thing! That is definitely next on my training list. :D Thanks guys!

:lol:

Mission accomplished!

(...please let there be video evidence of this if you do try it!)

• Like 2