Kestrel Builds A Temple - Part 1 (Foundations)

Kestrel Grey

23 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

Allergies possibly? 

That's what I'm suspecting. I had plans on ripping up the carpet anyways and replacing it with good quality linoleum or maybe wood. The carpet just collects bird dander. :( But it isn't likely to happen until summer... If it is allergies I don't know that I can survive until then.

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

4 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

That's what I'm suspecting. I had plans on ripping up the carpet anyways and replacing it with good quality linoleum or maybe wood. The carpet just collects bird dander. :( But it isn't likely to happen until summer... If it is allergies I don't know that I can survive until then.

have you ever done a once-a-day allergy med like Claratin?  I've had really good results with it for seasonal allergies. 

• Like 3

Level 47 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

19 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

have you ever done a once-a-day allergy med like Claratin?  I've had really good results with it for seasonal allergies. 

Thanks, I'll give them a try. Didn't think of that.

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

4 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I'm not sure what's causing it, but my sinuses are getting progressively worse as the week goes on. Only at night; it doesn't feel like an infection, they just swell shut and make sleep impossible. Not happy. I cancelled today's weight session because I didn't sleep until 7 am.

I am making sure my nutrition improves to make up for it. :) Today I baked pumpkin protein cookies. They're nice, but I'll keep hunting for a better recipe, they're kind of dry.

Ugh, that sounds miserable. I hate it when I'm too stuffed up to sleep.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Week Five - Friday Update

I can't believe it is February already! This year is going to fly by. And thanks to all, the pills helped me sleep a marvellous 10 hours last night. Which meant I missed my second weight session this week but I will still get in my 10 running miles.

My next challenge is written up and ready to go, sort of.  I just need to pare it down from forty goals to three...

Related image

• Like 3

― Neil Gaiman

Challenge Summary and Reflection

1. Prepare the ground for building

I followed my meal plan like clockwork until week four, but lost all semblance of discipline once my bet was up.  And regained 5 pounds. :( Slowly my massive week-long binge is winding down though and I think I will be ready for refocusing on nutrition next challenge.

2. Build a strong (running) base

This went really well. I did have foot issues on week two and scaled back according to plan.  Preparing for injuries and knowing ahead of time what to do helped massively.  I am now at ten miles a week and those ten miles are easier than the nine from week zero.

3. Use my building materials (time and energy) wisely

I did not end up following this plan at all!  It just wasn't working for me.  Keeping my energy levels in mind did prove helpful.  When I am tired I think of low-level tasks to do, and when I feel energized I work on important projects.

Minutiae

Mixed progress.  These things weren't priorities so no big deal.  Strength training typically happened once a week, and the weather has sucked enough for me to excuse hiding inside most days.  I have been stretching more, haphazardly remembering my vitamins, and not doing any physio.  Spanish had fallen off the radar for a while.  I am picking it back up but needing lots of review.

Overall Impression

Strangely I am feeling positive about this challenge.  Two of the goals were complete crash-and-burns and barely any of the Minutiae goals were complete but I still feel pretty good. 

Running is the section I am 100% happy with.  I am feeling happy with my progress, and happier that the plan was easy to follow.  Having a simple feed-back to allow for problems made it easy to follow.  My third goal was the worst.  Possibly ever.  I abandoned it part way through as hard to implement and not flexible enough to fit in my life.  My nutrition... well, I am still trying to figure out lessons learned there.  I felt great eating completely clean but I guess I need external (de)motivators to keep me away from junk.

Overall, the fails will not set me back by much and the gains will be compounded upon. :)  I am still optimistic about achieving my long-term goal of a grand, awesome, impactful life.

• Like 5

― Neil Gaiman

My nutrition... well, I am still trying to figure out lessons learned there.  I felt great eating completely clean but I guess I need external (de)motivators to keep me away from junk.

You'll get there. Maybe think about if there's a middle ground between the first three weeks and the last one?

Overall, the fails will not set me back by much and the gains will be compounded upon. :)  I am still optimistic about achieving my long-term goal of a grand, awesome, impactful life.

Beautiful!!

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

12 hours ago, Xena said:

You'll get there. Maybe think about if there's a middle ground between the first three weeks and the last one?

I don't know that I want middle ground. Wise people say everything in moderation, but why? Why should I aim for some junk food? How is it different than smoking, and saying you should aim to smoke just enough that you probably won't get cancer?

I am actually curious. :) There is a basic underlying principle here I am not understanding.

• Like 1

― Neil Gaiman

yay for figuring out the running! And for the goal that didn't work, sometimes it is just as helpful to figure out what doesn't work for you as to what does.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

6 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I don't know that I want middle ground. Wise people say everything in moderation, but why? Why should I aim for some junk food? How is it different than smoking, and saying you should aim to smoke just enough that you probably won't get cancer?

I am actually curious. :) There is a basic underlying principle here I am not understanding.

I'm not Xena, but my two cents/just a thought: I suppose it depends on the junk food. There are some junk food that is so devoid of nutrition and so processed there is probably no point in having it. However if you look at the nutrition "facts" over the past 70 years or so we see recommendations go back and forth on things indicating we don't have the full picture. So some junk food if made from whole foods may not be as bad for us as we think it is. Just as we sometimes find out what we thought had amazing health benefits later learn that it wasn't as good as we thought or actually had a danger. The truth is junk food does have some things your body needs. It may be able to get higher quality of it elsewhere with less effect on your blood sugar, but your body has to make glucose somehow.

I would say the other thing is that to quit smoking sometimes people do utilize the cut back method until they finally quit. I have never smoked, but I know from experience that over time of not eating some junk foods later when I go back to it I realize I don't like it anymore. Now this takes a lot of time though and not always.

Depending on how bad it is when you go back to the junk food a moderation method may actually result in less consumption of junk food overall. And in a way which is more spread out which you body is better able to handle. I think this is the true reason the moderation method is recommended with junk food. It results in less "damage."  

• Like 2

18.10 |18.6 | 18.518.418.318.218.116.2 | 16.1 | My Character

Lean out: 4lbs / 70lbs

- - - - - - - - - -

7 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I just thought I'd add my own little take on this whole thing. I find it a lot, lot easier, just not to eat junk food. So when I actually made the plunge and decided to do this whole health and fitness thing a couple of years ago I just stopped. I'm not saying that I don't sometimes crack and stuff my face with junk but, for the most part, I aim for none at all. I just find it easier to say 'I don't eat cookies' than to try and just eat some cookies because they are a trigger for me. So yeah, I agree. It's like smoking, or some other addiction and that I think it is easier to just not rather than to try and balance it day-to-day. But that is just my take. 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

1 hour ago, ladymorella said:

I'm not Xena, but my two cents/just a thought: I suppose it depends on the junk food. There are some junk food that is so devoid of nutrition and so processed there is probably no point in having it. However if you look at the nutrition "facts" over the past 70 years or so we see recommendations go back and forth on things indicating we don't have the full picture. So some junk food if made from whole foods may not be as bad for us as we think it is. Just as we sometimes find out what we thought had amazing health benefits later learn that it wasn't as good as we thought or actually had a danger. The truth is junk food does have some things your body needs. It may be able to get higher quality of it elsewhere with less effect on your blood sugar, but your body has to make glucose somehow.

I would say the other thing is that to quit smoking sometimes people do utilize the cut back method until they finally quit. I have never smoked, but I know from experience that over time of not eating some junk foods later when I go back to it I realize I don't like it anymore. Now this takes a lot of time though and not always.

Depending on how bad it is when you go back to the junk food a moderation method may actually result in less consumption of junk food overall. And in a way which is more spread out which you body is better able to handle. I think this is the true reason the moderation method is recommended with junk food. It results in less "damage."  

Thanks, that was well thought out. It basically boils down to

1. The foods some people call "bad" might not be (ex. wine, coffee, grains)

2.  Works on the premise you are going to fail at cutting out certain things forever, so it is less harmful to accept that from the start.

14 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I just thought I'd add my own little take on this whole thing. I find it a lot, lot easier, just not to eat junk food. So when I actually made the plunge and decided to do this whole health and fitness thing a couple of years ago I just stopped. I'm not saying that I don't sometimes crack and stuff my face with junk but, for the most part, I aim for none at all. I just find it easier to say 'I don't eat cookies' than to try and just eat some cookies because they are a trigger for me. So yeah, I agree. It's like smoking, or some other addiction and that I think it is easier to just not rather than to try and balance it day-to-day. But that is just my take. 

I didn't realise you aim for none at all. That actually helps a lot. My weaker side is slightly worried that everyone will think I'm a weirdo if I just don't eat sweets/deep fried things.  Then again, everyone already thinks I'm a weirdo because I like lifting heavy chunks of iron and running in mud. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

― Neil Gaiman

13 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I didn't realise you aim for none at all. That actually helps a lot. My weaker side is slightly worried that everyone will think I'm a weirdo if I just don't eat sweets/deep fried things.  Then again, everyone already thinks I'm a weirdo because I like lifting heavy chunks of iron and running in mud. :) 

Yeah, I guess I don't really talk about it. It sort of comes from decades worth of dieting. I know and understand that some things trigger me to binge. Cookies are a simple example but I extend that to just 'sweets' in general. I simply cannot just have one. I know that about myself, so it is easier to have none rather than just one and then fight with myself all day long because I want another. 

Also yeah, saying no to every sweet that comes into the office - and I simply do that without thinking about it, is the least weird thing about me ;) 

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24