• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Korranation

Korranation's Quest for Self Knowledge

I totally cheat with estaba ____iendo. I get gringo-is-trying credit in spades, so I get away with it.

leyendo que me lastimó la cabeza.
I can feel my middle school grammar teacher unconsciously cringing from the past tense/ present particle use. There's something about language gurus feeling a disturbance in the grammar force.

What kind of dog do you have?  
I told my dog that she didn't want to walk in the cold yesterday. I don't think she believed me at all...

I've got a chocolate mini schnauzer. I keep the skirt around his sides and legs long so he doesn't look like an over stuffed baked potato on toothpicks.
a44b3148aaca6f3d0a70fc82cfc74456.jpeg

Quest 1: Nutrition
I've finally figured out the nutrition problem. It all ties back into dinner. When dinner isn't cooked it's either a "fend for yourself" situation that leads to grazing and binge eating or its eating out at a fast food place. So I've taken control of the this meal wheel. It's taken a lot of my time and effort, but it has been achieved.
90f5a350ce7001cfcc4edc647e2c1ac3.jpg

I made a meal plan, uploaded all the recipes to the all recipe site, added those recipes to my shopping cart through their app, gotten all the items, prepped everything on Sunday night, and toss everything into a slow cooker the morning of. This way everything is ready when I get home, there's a real food to enjoy, everyone gets to sit down together, no one is rushed or in a bad mood because we have to look somewhat presentable to eat out, and it saves a lot of money.
dd70325fa27bc90bbba250f6115da020.jpg

I'm nervous about running out of recipes though. This is week two and eventually I'll have to repeat some meals. Specifically the complainers are my stepmom and stepsister. If they don't want a certain restaurant they'll either make the excuse they went there earlier in the month or had that type of cuisine a few days previous. And this issue is going to come up eventually. In the past if the didn't want something they would call my dad or sister to ask when I was cooking and they'd go have fast food together and come home late. Oftentimes without telling anyone else so my sister and dad and I would end up waiting for them just to find out they ate when they came home. Well... at this point if they don't want dinner, it's their problem. More leftovers for me.

I also started replacing my lunches with progresso soup. I've done meal prepping and smoothies and neither of those helped keep the weight off. The meal prepped food took a long time to cook, portion out, freeze, thaw out, heat up, and clean up. And the smoothies were nice, but I got weird looks from coworkers if the containers were clear, prep and clean up every evening was a hassle, and the sugar in the fruit would give me a spike and leave me tired and craving sweets after work.
8fd22c5d59c525cd90811d53d9c34e85.jpg

I'm having soup for my lunches this time round. My family gave me some flack once they saw the cans. But the progresso soup diet is technically replacing two to thee meals with the soup and this is only one. Yes, it's high in sodium and might not be sustainable in the long term. But it's cheaper and less messy than the other methods I've tried. Plus I started drinking five serving of decaf tea and each mug holds two cups so I'm getting plenty of liquids to flush out the extra salt from the soup, keep myself full instead of snacking, and leaving myself very hydrated. I've already lost two pounds in the past week.
3fe3964b119d2a5e4aa75536621d28b6.jpg

Quest 2: Workout
So I'm walking my dog every night. Now that I have more time and less stress from dealing with dinner I have more time for this. And I can get back to my podcast binge. I'm glad that apple made a section specifically for binge listening. So now I can kill four birds with one stone. My dog gets some energy out and doesn't have the evening zoomies, I get my podcast fix, I get my step count in, and I tucker myself out enough to pass out in bed on time and get a full eight hours of sleep.
58edcd04ef7b3767f47729e5f825c597.jpg

Quest 3: Mental health
I've been tracking my mood more with moodnotes. I had quite the nasty spell last week on Friday. A lot of stuff was piling up and one bad thing after another kept happening and I ended up crying in my car while running errands for work.
I realized that once something bad happens I've gotten in the bad habit of shutting myself off and not communicating which leads to more negative things happening due to miscommunications and I'm left fried at the end of the day only to repeat it tomorrow.
823574e31ff28aca0697b3b5275b25b4.jpg

But now that I've found that pattern I'm consciously stopping it. I get in early to work so I can chat with some coworkers, grab a cup of coffee, and take my time setting up for the day. Instead of ruminating on things I write down the problem, address the situation, and move on. My manager said that she was watching Netflix on her phone since the beginning of the semester is slower for her department. Someone got the idea stuck in my head that there was some sort of rat race going on instead of this being a slow nonprofit.

I still haven't made any calls to my counselor list yet. And more than likely going to put it off till I past the point of desperately needing one. I'll put it on my bullet journal list. Nothing upsets my mood OCD like an unfinished check list.

Quest 4: Level Up Your Life
I'm keeping up with my Spanish quota. An old member of my Duolingo group suddenly showed up after months of inactivity and tried rushing to the top of the score leaderboard. But there's nothing like a few chat not sessions couldn't fix. I learned two thing yesterday. My chat bot sessions now get me a max of fifty points and I speak Spanish better than I thought I originally could. Sorry (not sorry) @Tanktimus the Encourager
cf2c9e0956b9bcae35067b8a9c2b01bf.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 12:49 PM, Korranation said:

I go by the name "ThatOneLearner" and I'm I started an accountability group last year. All but one (not including myself) is still active. I can send you a link to our lil rising rebels group.

Oh!  I just added you.  

15 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Wait, are we competing or something? :panda: 

I've added you too so if you weren't competing before we are now!  Now I suppose I better step up my duo game.  I haven't touched it in months. 

On 1/8/2018 at 1:06 PM, Korranation said:

• no bread or sweets
  • no fast food
  • track food on MFP

It's hard to go without bread and sweets. Especially during the weekend. I know I had some sort of candy. And avoiding carbs is a lie.
And usually the only time I use MFP is during the work week since there's more structure, less snacking, and I have everything prepped. Now all I have to do is avoid snacking, or if I do snack, log it in as best I can.

I was going to suggest maybe rethinking your goals here......

1 hour ago, Korranation said:

I've finally figured out the nutrition problem. It all ties back into dinner. When dinner isn't cooked it's either a "fend for yourself" situation that leads to grazing and binge eating or its eating out at a fast food place. So I've taken control of the this meal wheel. It's taken a lot of my time and effort, but it has been achieved.

I made a meal plan, uploaded all the recipes to the all recipe site, added those recipes to my shopping cart through their app, gotten all the items, prepped everything on Sunday night, and toss everything into a slow cooker the morning of. This way everything is ready when I get home, there's a real food to enjoy, everyone gets to sit down together, no one is rushed or in a bad mood because we have to look somewhat presentable to eat out, and it saves a lot of money.

But then I saw this and realized you've already looked for another solution.  This all seems like a great idea.  And soup for lunch is good too.  Having canned soup for a bit isn't that bad.. although if you are using your slow cooker maybe you could find some recipes and cook a batch on the weekends. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LadyShello said:

Oh!  I just added you.  

I've added you too so if you weren't competing before we are now!  Now I suppose I better step up my duo game.  I haven't touched it in months. 

I was going to suggest maybe rethinking your goals here......

But then I saw this and realized you've already looked for another solution.  This all seems like a great idea.  And soup for lunch is good too.  Having canned soup for a bit isn't that bad.. although if you are using your slow cooker maybe you could find some recipes and cook a batch on the weekends. 

Are you in our duolingo party?

I rethought those nutrition goals a while back, but never got around to changing them. And probably didn't mention I needed to on this thread. I've got a problem of drafting posts in my head and not following through with posting them. 

I'll have to plan for cooking and prepping most of it the weekend. The only experience I have with cooking, freezing, and reheating food is with ground beef and turkey. Whole chicken had a weird texture after I nuked it so I stopped incorporating it into my meals.  But I know that if I thaw some shredded chicken and toss something on it or put it in a casserole no one will no. Thanks for the suggestion. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Korranation said:

Are you in our duolingo party?

Well I added both of you as friends or whatever Duolingo calls them.  I'm learning French though, and not Spanish. 

• Like 1

Well I added both of you as friends or whatever Duolingo calls them.  I'm learning French though, and not Spanish. 

cela me rend triste.
You can't be in the group unless you're learning Spanish, but Tank and I can be a part of your club if we also learn French ;)

4 hours ago, LadyShello said:

3 hours ago, Korranation said:

cela me rend triste.
You can't be in the group unless you're learning Spanish, but Tank and I can be a part of your club if we also learn French ;)

Bonjour a vous! J'etudie le francais avec DuoLingo (et Coffe Break French, et Kwiziq, et News in Slow...).  Would you like to be my DL friend? My username is different there. I don't do it every day; I find I learn language better if I mix up my learning methods. I'm still up for friending, though! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, CallunaTook said:

Bonjour a vous! J'etudie le francais avec DuoLingo (et Coffe Break French, et Kwiziq, et News in Slow...).  Would you like to be my DL friend? My username is different there. I don't do it every day; I find I learn language better if I mix up my learning methods. I'm still up for friending, though! 

Moi aussi, s'il vous plait.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Korranation said:

cela me rend triste.

I didn't realize groups were a thing even.  I guess that's how well I pay attention to DL. :P   

17 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Yo no quiero aprendir Francais, estoy mas interesante en Aleman, Arabico o Griego.

I don't know any Spanish but I only had to google 'Griego' to understand that.  I am also learning German on DL but I've just started.  I took Ancient Greek in college and stil have the textbooks.  I've forgotten a lot but would love to still pick it up.  I'd love to read Plato directly from the greek.  I don't know how much that would help me with modern Greek though. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2018 at 9:32 AM, Korranation said:

I've got a chocolate mini schnauzer. I keep the skirt around his sides and legs long so he doesn't look like an over stuffed baked potato on toothpicks.
a44b3148aaca6f3d0a70fc82cfc74456.jpeg

Almost forgot to mention!  He should not be ashamed to look like a potato. There seems to be an agreement among Adventurers guild that potatoes are awesome. 

Image result for mr potato thumbs up

• Like 2

Almost forgot to mention!  He should not be ashamed to look like a potato. There seems to be an agreement among Adventurers guild that potatoes are awesome. 

ppw-toys-mr-potato-head-superman-1.jpg

It's not that he's ashamed. He knows there's just more of him for everyone to love on.
It's just I don't wanna go John Wick on anyone to insults my perfect lil chunky cinnamon roll.
ae8c91eb7ca093658135ab3ae0652fe9.jpeg
  • Like 2

I took a very long weekend. 

Granted, it was supposed to be a three-day weekend bc of MLK day, but then it decided to snow in TX, so naturally, the whole town panicked and work was canceled. 

And I spent the majority of this time indoors. 

Not much to report. Other than the pizza incident. 

A little backstory... I had been eating healthy for the past two weeks. And almost gluten free minus the days my soup had noodles in it or dinner involved flour tortillas. And on Friday work decided to have pizza for the clients participating in a seminar. There was a lot left over and I was encouraged to have a slice. So I did. Thus began my downfall. 

My stomach was making quite a fuss about it. So I waited it out when I got home. But there was only more pizza to greet me. And the cycle continued.

tumblr_oyb6q0H3mH1vdwh7uo2_500.gif

The rest of the time was spent indoors. We had a few meals in the slow cooker like pot roast and shredded chicken. My stepmom made both of those meals. Two weeks of cooking dinner that was must have rubbed off on her. I'm excited to see how this week's dinners go. 

• Like 5