• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Korranation

Mental Health Section

I think it would be a great idea to start a mental health section on the forums. I see plenty of rebels tagging their challenges and battle logs with "mental health," but not having a central place to discuss it and share helpful articles, books, and personal insights about these issues. 

It would also be a great idea to make a survey monkey on both the forums and the fb academy to get a sense of what mental health topics are a big concern to our fellow rebels and they would like to be discussed. 

• Like 2

On 12/26/2017 at 12:54 AM, Korranation said:

I think it would be a great idea to start a mental health section on the forums. I see plenty of rebels tagging their challenges and battle logs with "mental health," but not having a central place to discuss it and share helpful articles, books, and personal insights about these issues. 

It would also be a great idea to make a survey monkey on both the forums and the fb academy to get a sense of what mental health topics are a big concern to our fellow rebels and they would like to be discussed. 

Would it? This comes up now and then, and I keep cringing at how terrible mental health sections of other forums can be. Any forum tends to have a moderate turnover rate among the membership, and health/fitness forums seem to have it a bit worse than others. This dynamic combined with mental health focused discussions often means the section quickly degenerates into people in pain appearing to vent, then vanishing forever. They might get therapeutic benefit from posting, but when I don't have a chance to form a relationship with these posters, i find their content fairly draining and of no therapeutic value to myself. Added to that dynamic is the reality that very few people (myself included) want to act as mental health authorities in these sub-forums, which means there's often no direction or structure beyond the most basic rules of civility. I've volunteered extensively with group therapy/self-help programs in religious contexts, and been closely involved in friends/family inpatient psych care; the successes of those group support systems seems to come from the relationships between the members, and the structure provided by the program administrators. Both elements seem challenging in a forum context. @RedStone might have more insight from her experience running a similar group on a forum (but don't listen to her if she contradicts me).

As a person that struggles with depression/anxiety, I've really enjoyed the contrast of interacting with the other nerds as people and not as diagnoses. While I've been using different tags off and on so that nerds with similar struggles could tune in if they wanted, relationships and shared activities/interests are what I find most helpful.

• Like 7