• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Akeezy

Akeezy’s Newbie Introduction

Hello all!

I'm brand new here! I've stumbled on NF articles in the past, but this is my first time participating in a challenge. I'd love to meet some new people on here! Please introduce yourselves and share your quests!

A little about me: I'm 27 and from mid-MO. I'm 5'7", 260 lbs, and ready for a better lifestyle! I've done some running and general gym work outs in the past, but have struggled to get into a routine. I saw a nutritionist for a few months and was able to develop some good habits. Unfortunately, my bad habits still tend to outweigh my good ones, so I'm excited to knock those out. 

My Quests (over the next 6 months):

1) Lose 20 lbs 

• I think this is completely achievable, but only if I can succeed at Quests 2 and 3. I'd like to lose closer to 50-80 lbs overall, but I'm starting small :D

2) Meal prep

• This might be the hardest one for me. I don't like cooking. I struggle with finding new recipes and actually trying them out. If you have any recipes to share, please do so! I'm always looking for something quick and easy (and healthy) to make!

3) Run a 10K

• Also totally achievable, but only if I get my butt motivated. I need to find a routine that I don't dread doing. It's cool if I don't like it because I'll probably still do it. But if I'm miserable, I'll just tell myself I can go tomorrow. Not a great work out plan. 
  • This will also include starting some strength training at the gym. I'm starting at the very beginning on this, so I plan to start with some bodyweight exercises and gradually work toward using the machines and equipment at the gym.

I'm looking forward to starting my first challenge! I know I won't achieve quests 1 and 3 in this challenge, but I can start to develop some good habits that will get me there! Please post your quests and anything else you'd like to share! Can't wait to start working with everyone!!

• Like 4

Hey everyone! I'm Sylvie from Pittsburgh, PA. I hate exercising so much, apparently I can't even spell it. (Typed it 5 times before I gave up & used spell check.) I used to exercise in high school years ago (running track, diving and dancing) but haven't set foot in a gym pretty much ever, until TODAY. I prefer my activity to be fun and interesting (like kayaking or playing frisbee or rock climbing), as opposed to being in a gym. But ever since I got married, all the adventure has gotten harder to make happen. Fast forward to this September when I had a spontaneous pneumothorax. (My lung collapsed for no apparent reason.) I was off work for a full month and have been literally 100% sedentary for the last 3 months. I was diagnosed with 4 different lung disorders, including asthma, which is the one that bothers me the most in my daily living. Last week, I finally got cleared to begin exercising and for the first time in my life I am actually motivated to do so! I am ready to get my lungs back in shape! I hate feeling like an invalid. And it's amazing how quickly your body gets out of shape after a brief hiatus. I signed up for a gym membership through my work which allows me to visit multiple gyms. I'm hoping that helps me with the adventurous piece. :) More options = less boring, right?

I've poked around Nerd Fitness over the years. Now that my head is in the right place, I finally joined up and I'm looking forward to my first challenge. I actually re-discovered Nerd Fitness this morning when I was googling "tips for going to the gym for the first time". Lol. It resonated with me when I read to start small and consider just walking in the door as a win. I set my goals this morning and headed out to the gym today for the first time ever!! Win! My goals aren't all fitness-related, but they are all geared toward leveling up my life. 1) Go to the gym 3xs a week. 2) Declutter my house one day a week. 3) Do 2 side jobs per month. = Two during the challenge. 4) No more coffee shops. Deposit $5 in my savings account each week.

One of my big goals is to travel to Guam in May for my brother's Navy retirement event. (Thus goals 3 & 4 being about money.) And goal 2 is related to the larger quest of getting my a$$ out of this house I'm in now in order to make it easier for me to breathe. And goal #1 will be slllloooowwww going as I rebuild lung capacity. But I don't care. I'm committed! 

So now you know it all! I'm looking forward to hooking up with some accountability nerds. And I have some good recipes I can probably share with Akeezy at some point. :)  Also, sorry this is a bit long. I'm a nerd. I can't help it. I'm wordy! :P 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The Real Syl Mil said:

I prefer my activity to be fun and interesting (like kayaking or playing frisbee or rock climbing), as opposed to being in a gym. But ever since I got married, all the adventure has gotten harder to make happen. Fast forward to this September when I had a spontaneous pneumothorax. (My lung collapsed for no apparent reason.) I was off work for a full month and have been literally 100% sedentary for the last 3 months. I was diagnosed with 4 different lung disorders, including asthma, which is the one that bothers me the most in my daily living.

Tough :~ My husband also started getting asthma a year ago or so (because of the pollution we suspect). While it's not too bad overall, it is really a daily bother and it does affect his quality of life.
What are you planning to do at the gym? in particular to make it fun and interesting?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, @mu said:

Tough :~ My husband also started getting asthma a year ago or so (because of the pollution we suspect). While it's not too bad overall, it is really a daily bother and it does affect his quality of life.
What are you planning to do at the gym? in particular to make it fun and interesting?

Oh good question... I am hoping that going to different gyms will at least keep it interesting in the beginning. One has a pool, so I'm looking forward to that, once my lung capacity has increased a bit. Yesterday I listened to a hilarious podcast while I worked out. But that's about it. I welcome any and all suggestions on how to keep things exciting! Sorry for your husband's luck. :( What a pain!

Leveling up liiiiife woohoo! I discovered this website a few years ago but was always into something else that was doing fine. Well, I've completely fallen out of my fitness habits, I've become a workaholic, and I need new motivation to start back up. Always loved the idea of NF, so here I am ready to make some goals and check some boxes and gaining all kinds of life experiences to become a more well rounded person.

For a few years I got deep into trail running after a lifetime of "I hate running." Well, I still hate running on the road, but in the trees is awesome!! And a year or so after discovering trail running, I discovered I really like weightlifting, too! I was at a nice Crossfit gym for about 6 months, saw incredible gains, and then my life took a poop and it was hard to get back into either running OR lifting since. It's now been 2 years of being incredibly inconsistent with both and I'm ready to change that!

I'm 31, 5'4", I think somewhere in the 130-135lb range, minimal muscle tone, and some thunder thighs I'm ready to turn into "get me up that mountain" tree trunk legs. I live in and love Colorado, so we have plenty of mountains for me to practice on.

1st challenge Quests:

- eat one serving of greens with every (major)meal

- drink lemon water first thing every morning

- run 2x/week + 5x5 Lifts 3x/week

- turn all screens/distractions off by 8pm every night

• Like 2

Hello new peeps!  Welcome to Nerd Fitness!

Rather than putting everyone’s intros and quests on a single thread, here on NF you get to create your own Challenge thread!   Everyone should make their own personal thread for posting their intro, quests, and updates/progress for this 4-5 week challenge period.

You can, of course, still visit each other’s challenge threads to chat with and support each other. :)

On 26-12-2017 at 5:06 PM, Akeezy said:

2) Meal prep

• This might be the hardest one for me. I don't like cooking. I struggle with finding new recipes and actually trying them out. If you have any recipes to share, please do so! I'm always looking for something quick and easy (and healthy) to make!

There are a couple of food threads inside the guilds challenge sections, i'll link a few but feel free to browse all around also for other stuff!

Rangers:

Warriors:

3) Run a 10K

• Also totally achievable, but only if I get my butt motivated. I need to find a routine that I don't dread doing. It's cool if I don't like it because I'll probably still do it. But if I'm miserable, I'll just tell myself I can go tomorrow. Not a great work out plan. 

There are several programs freely available, i think your best bet is to start out with a couch to 5k (C25K), and maybe something like zombies run. I have heard these can be quite motivating.

The first workout is always the hardest. I trick myself into doing that stuff, i make sure i've got a plan. And for the first training, i will call it a success if i'm active for more than 2 minutes. That is doable, hell i even don't have to change for that (though running shoes are very important). Usually the hardest part is just starting, within those first meters you will probablt get motivated to do a bit more, but most important, if not, well at least you started!

This will also include starting some strength training at the gym. I'm starting at the very beginning on this, so I plan to start with some bodyweight exercises and gradually work toward using the machines and equipment at the gym.

Stronglifts and Startingstrength are 2 very good starter programs, they start with empty barbells and have a real good structure, that's the way i also started and i stubbornly needed to stick to the program the first 3 weeks cause it felt too easy, but i can imagine that an empty barbell still feels pretty heavy for other people. I would really advice you to start with a barbell.

If you want to know anything more don't hesitate to ask, if you tag me like this: (@ username, without the space) @Mr_Willes , i will get a notification and i will come back to you as fast as i can!

Have a great first challenge!

• Like 2

Stronglifts and Startingstrength are 2 very good starter programs, they start with empty barbells and have a real good structure, that's the way i also started and i stubbornly needed to stick to the program the first 3 weeks cause it felt too easy, but i can imagine that an empty barbell still feels pretty heavy for other people. I would really advice you to start with a barbell.

If you want to know anything more don't hesitate to ask, if you tag me like this: (@ username, without the space) [mention=35977]Mr_Willes[/mention] , i will get a notification and i will come back to you as fast as i can!

Have a great first challenge!

This is super helpful info! Thank you! I’ll let you know if/when I have more questions! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

On 12/26/2017 at 11:06 AM, Akeezy said:

1) Lose 20 lbs 

• I think this is completely achievable, but only if I can succeed at Quests 2 and 3. I'd like to lose closer to 50-80 lbs overall, but I'm starting small :D

I'm ten pounds into the same goal! Haaaaaay!

The biggest help for me is tracking my food/drink intake. Christmas baking is suddenly a lot less tempting when it's like 10% of my calorie budget. My Fitness Pal is a great, free resource for that.

On 12/26/2017 at 10:13 PM, The Real Syl Mil said:

Typed it 5 times before I gave up & used spell check.

Hahahahahahahaha relatable. :D

23 hours ago, The Real Syl Mil said:

I welcome any and all suggestions on how to keep things exciting!

I would suggest classes at the gyms! There's usually a variety to choose from and you can take it at your own pace. It's also a great way to have real life accountability; you'll get to know people in the classes and if you build those relationships you'll have extra motivation to go on the rough days.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2017 at 6:06 PM, Akeezy said:

2) Meal prep

Hey hey, food is pretty much my life so I'm happy to share some recipes and stuff with you - I was thinking I'll stick a few in my thread as I'm reporting in so if you like i'll let you know when I do :)

tenor.gif.3fbc9155c17c72c2ec78dd17b1fb6af7.gif

19 hours ago, Fizgig said:

Hi,

I am new too.  When/how does the challenge get introduced? 

Hi Fizgig,

Pop up one level to this forum: https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/740-level-1-first-time-challengers/ and start your own challenge!  If you're not sure how to get started picking your challenge goals, make sure to read through this for the "how to" 

Hi Akeezy, welcome!

On 12/26/2017 at 11:06 AM, Akeezy said:

My Quests (over the next 6 months):

1) Lose 20 lbs 

2) Meal prep

3) Run a 10K

• This will also include starting some strength training at the gym. I'm starting at the very beginning on this, so I plan to start with some bodyweight exercises and gradually work toward using the machines and equipment at the gym.

these are some good goals over a 6 month period! they're totally doable. For this challenge - the next 5 weeks - what are three goals you can pursue to support these main quests?  maybe things like: try a new recipe every week, start meal planning every week so cooking is less of a big deal when you get started, etc.... for the 10K goal, are you running right now? Personally I LOVE the hal higdon 10K program (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10-K-Training-Guide-Novice-Program) - it assumes you're already running about a 5K distance, though. 

• Like 2

On 12/29/2017 at 2:30 PM, karinajean said:

these are some good goals over a 6 month period! they're totally doable. For this challenge - the next 5 weeks - what are three goals you can pursue to support these main quests? 

It's like you took the words right out of my keyboard... ;)

Yes Akeezy, what are you challenge goals to help you achieve your main quests? Inquiring minds want to know :) 

• Like 1

It's like you took the words right out of my keyboard...
Yes Akeezy, what are you challenge goals to help you achieve your main quests? Inquiring minds want to know  

I’m so glad so many people are interested!! I’ve been thinking about this, so I hope I have a good response!

1) Some friends and I have decided to start holding each other accountable. So my first goal is to go to the gym 4 days a week. Even if it’s just walking on the treadmill. Half the battle is just getting there.

2) To answer the previous question: no, I’m not running right now. I’ve done a bit off and on, but I’ve never run a whole mile. So my goal for this challenge is to do some real training and do a 5K in February.

3) Make at least 2 healthy meals per weak. I make most meals, but I need to make a more conscious effort at making healthy meals. Bring on the recipes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Akeezy said:

2) To answer the previous question: no, I’m not running right now. I’ve done a bit off and on, but I’ve never run a whole mile. So my goal for this challenge is to do some real training and do a 5K in February.

Wanna know a secret? I've done over a dozen 5k's (and one 8k) and never run a step in any of them ;)

I started by signing up for them as 'incentive to train'...problem is I can walk faster than some can run :lol: 

55 minutes ago, RES said:

Wanna know a secret? I've done over a dozen 5k's (and one 8k) and never run a step in any of them ;)

I started by signing up for them as 'incentive to train'...problem is I can walk faster than some can run :lol: 

I did this last year! I was literally jogging slower than some of the people walking. XD

• Like 1

Having completed the Walt Disney World marathon without running a full mile (I'm a jog-waddle-jog type), I look forward to hearing how you progress to running the entire mile.  I know that is a change that can take persistence.  Your NF clan believes you can do it. #KeepMovingForward

dead last.JPG

• Like 4