• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

So can today be the official start of my challenge? Yesterday was rough, but it wasn't a total loss.

lotr-walking.gif

* Walked 10,104 steps. I was at just over 7,000 yesterday evening and decided to take a walk in the cold (about 7F), but the full moon lit up the remaining snow and it was glorious.

* worked with my mentor on the house (check previous challenges to learn more); I helped him put together a makeshift scaffolding for painting using two ladders and some very sturdy, heavy and strong lumber. I also vacuumed drywall dust off the downstairs floor.

* Breakfast: eggs scrambled with ham, spinach, mushrooms and cheese topped with fresh salsa. Lunch: sauerkraut and kielbasa. Dinner: the queen made lasagna.

4631274d8ffcf436696b150d3deba5f4--second

* I did not drink enough water, but I also did not have any soda, even though the queen and princesses all has root beer and Dr. Pepper. The queen is trying to cut out all sodas, but it's a slow process for her to break some of her unhealthy habits. The princesses are just stubborn.

* No meditation yesterday. 

* Read some scripture, as well as the first devotional in Jesus Calling. My grandpa gave this book to me about a year ago, and I've barely cracked it's spine. Time to get to it. I also read and wrote in the 365 day devotional the princesses bought me for Christmas.

* finished Chapter III of Fellowship

* Completed one daily lesson on Duolingo.

tumblr_ngp3k4gfDw1u2tigto1_500.gif

* I had some kind of emotional breakdown yesterday morning. Instead of talking to my queen about what was bothering me, I unloaded on her as if these problems were her fault. It was ugly and selfish and uncalled for. At one point, I was fully dressed and ready to leave, and I said, "I'm going to go find my dad." I haven't spoken to my dad in years. I cut him off because our relationship is toxic. After saying this, I just broke down. I cried, she cried, I apologized. We both agreed I was still grieving for my grandpa and acting a fool instead of dealing with what's really bothering me. We're okay now, but I don't want a repeat of that ever again.

* Convinced Arabella to sleep in her own bed, but this was a struggle. She had a meltdown, crying for her mommy, but I stood with her (she sleeps in the top bunk), rubbed her arm, and sang to her. It took a while, but she fell asleep.

f021a99c01c3307baede6328e14453b9--luthie

* Went to bed (very eagerly, if you catch my drift) with my queen around 9:30. We slept well.

• Like 8

*hugs* I am sorry yesterday was so rough for you. Hopefully today will go better. And I am completely okay with today being your first day of challenge. Being flexibile with challenge dates is allowed and lets be honest, we have all had a first day we wish we could just redo.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Chapter III of Fellowship

Shortcut to Mushrooms next?

Glad you could move past the emotional 'splosion with your Queen. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bean Sidhe said:

*hugs* I am sorry yesterday was so rough for you. Hopefully today will go better. And I am completely okay with today being your first day of challenge. Being flexibile with challenge dates is allowed and lets be honest, we have all had a first day we wish we could just redo.

Thank you. I am known for either a rough start and a big finish, or a big start and a rough finish. :)

1 hour ago, annyshay said:

Shortcut to Mushrooms next?

Glad you could move past the emotional 'splosion with your Queen. 

You are correct. And thank you. She is amazing and forgiving. 

• Like 4

Update:

home-of-middle-earth.jpg?height=420&outp

• Total steps for Tuesday and Wednesday: 20,084
  • Took Minnie outside while shirtless and shoeless, even though it was -2F.
  • Did some breathing and Primal Body Reboot stretches.
  • Did not get to take a mindful walk (unless my shopping adventure with three of my daughters counts).

dc6e3d74a3494f9979490338e6996685--nerdy-

• Worked with my mentor at the new house vacuuming drywall dust and cleaning paint and drywall glue from the bathroom floors so they can install tile; also took care of the chickens and helped his wife put the poinsettias back in the attic.
  • Mike Yarbrough, the founder of Wolf and Iron, started a fitness challenge: 100 push-ups and 100 squats every day in January. I had to get caught up, so Tuesday I did 200 push-ups and 200 squats and yesterday I did 100 and 100. I threw in 30 burpees just because.
  • Meals for both days weren't bad; mostly whole food/Paleo. I remember yesterday's lunch especially: Mediterranean salad and chili.

tumblr_mx489ii47g1sy4ug5o8_250.gif

• Still not drinking enough water, but I'm trying to drink at least a glass in the morning and a glass before bed.
  • 20 minute meditations in the afternoon both days.
  • Continuing to read Fellowship; also listening to an audiobook version of The Sun Also Rises (which, I am ashamed to say, in spite of my love of Hemingway I have not yet read).
  • My ADRD (Attention Deficit Reading Disorder) will be out of control this weekend; expecting a copy of Discipline Equals Freedom Field Manual by Jocko Willink as well as Bear Grylls' autobiography Mud, Sweat, and Tears.

tumblr_os40wmxoKG1uutgwwo1_500.gif

• Missed my Duolingo lesson Tuesday, so I doubled-up yesterday.
  • Did some laundry for my queen yesterday, straightened up the living room, and vacuumed the floor.
  • Tuesday I went to bed on time, but yesterday I had to pick up Princess Aryanna from work at 10:30. I went to bed when I got home, but Princess Arabella came in around 2 am crying for her mommy. I succumbed and made myself a bed on the floor with a blanket and my wolf pillow (Christmas gift from Princess Aryanna).
  • Like 8

On 1/4/2018 at 8:01 AM, Wolfen said:
  • Mike Yarbrough, the founder of Wolf and Iron, started a fitness challenge: 100 push-ups and 100 squats every day in January. I had to get caught up, so Tuesday I did 200 push-ups and 200 squats and yesterday I did 100 and 100. I threw in 30 burpees just because.

Not going to lie. I am kinda in awe that you could throw something else in after all that just because. My dream is to be able to do that, but not yet. Maybe one day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I am kinda in awe that you could throw something else in after all that just because.

The funny thing about this is that I don't look very strong. In some areas I'm scrawny, and in others I'm flabby. But my strength and endurance surprise me more and more. I know it's not about muscles or looks, but still... I think that's what I'm really aiming for, though, is fitness and strength over muscle definition.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

The funny thing about this is that I don't look very strong. In some areas I'm scrawny, and in others I'm flabby. But my strength and endurance surprise me more and more. I know it's not about muscles or looks, but still... I think that's what I'm really aiming for, though, is fitness and strength over muscle definition.

This I get. I have started saying "If I am going to be the fat lady, at least I can be the strong fat lady" There is a video I saw of a lady bigger than me doing the jump on box, jump down, burpee, repeat. That was a Okay, no excuses. 

Not that I am making great leaps and bounds with all of this. Its rather slow progress.

• Like 4

Update:

*been tough to get steps in right now because of the cold, but I'm still averaging between 8,000-10,000/day.

*still taking Minnie outside while shirtless and shoeless to do a quick version of the Primal Body Reboot stretches; even with my experience with cold exposure, -4F (-10 wind chill) still bites.  

*no hike this week

*took a few 30 minute adventure walks this week around campus, but most of the time was spent indoors, exploring shelves in the library or walking up all 9 floors (18 flights of stairs) of Wallace Hall.

*worked with my mentor on the new house scrubbing out paint buckets, carrying trash out, carrying ceiling fans and lighting equipment from his truck to the house, unloading discarded drywall and trash, and taking care of the chickens.

*caught up with the 100/100 push-ups and squats, which means I have done 600 squats and 600 push-ups in 6 days (not counting what I have completed today). Mike Yarbrough suggested mixing up the types of push-ups (wide, close, diamond, etc.) and it really makes a difference.

*been eating almost entirely whole food/Paleo, although Friday I had a turkey sandwich on whole wheat toast with cheddar cheese, spinach, mayo and mustard and yesterday a friend's mother-in-law made some lasagna.

*still working in water intake; building the habit of one in the morning and one at night, but it's still not enough.

*becoming consistent with 20 minutes of daily meditation, even if it's broken up throughout the day.

*daily scripture and devotional becoming consistent

*Fellowship is slow going, but it's not the book's fault; The Sun Also Rises is so we'll written that at times I pause and think, Not much has really happened, but I'm still so into these people and what they'll say and do next. 

*finally received Discipline Equals Freedom Field Manual in the mail. I'm reading it in quick gulps. It's like a kick in the rear by a drill instructor or a platoon commander who both wants and needs you to be at your best.

*5 day streak for Duolingo. I'm also in 2nd place in my club for most weekly exp points.

*dishes and laundry for my queen; complimented her hair and commented on how great she is with our princesses.

*My queen informed me that she is participating in a "biggest loser" competition at work. This is a big deal because her health and weight have been sore spots for a while. I simply told her I was proud of her, and I'm here if she needs my support with anything. Otherwise, I wouldn't pester her. She has also decided to pay for a gym membership for herself and the two oldest princesses at Planet Fitness.

*Friday night and last night I slept on the floor next to my queen because both days princess Arabella lost a tooth and did not want the tooth fairy going into her messy room and accidentally giving her money to the wrong princess. I succumbed because it was too cute to say "No."

• Like 8

22 hours ago, annyshay said:

:applouse:

School was cancelled today because it's raining ice. My wife and I both have a head cold. And what do I do? I took a quick barefoot and shirtless walk with Minnie down to the river. The ground was hard because of the recent week-long freeze, but the feeling of slush and ice between my toes was refreshing.

• Like 7

Just a quick summary of the rest of today:

Took a power nap after lunch at Chic-fil-A and a shopping trip with the queen and princesses. Near the end of the shopping trip, I couldn't tell if my brain was going to explode out of my eyes or if I was going to vomit. I voted for a combo of both. Luckily, the answer was neither. I slept for about 30 minutes until my queen woke me up to watch the little princesses while she went to get some groceries. I read some more of Fellowship, took a warm bath, and listened to a meditation called "Lion Mind" on the Stop, Breathe, and Think app and a song by Franko Heke. I felt a little better, so I ate a cup of Siggi's yogurt, drank some water, and got caught up on my 100/100. My queen returned with groceries and revealed that she bought me tea with lemon and Echinacea and some fresh ginger root. I did not hesitate to make a cup of tea, and that's how I'll end my day: a cup of tea and a good book.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

Forgot to mention: this is what I ate at Chick-fil-a.

CFA_PDP_Grilled-Chicken-Wrap_1085.png

With the avocado ranch dressing.

There are no other dressings where the wrap is concerned.  For a  long time I could never remember the name so I'd just say "The Green One."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Update:

• Woke at at 4:30am, said the Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer of gratitude and for my wife and daughters.
  • took Minnie outside while shirtless and shoeless; it was about 33F outside.
  • completed a quick Primal Body Reboot session, but mostly I just breathed in the cool air and admired the near silence of early morning.
  • Made the bed before leaving the house.

the-house-of-tom-bombadil-joe-gilronan.j

• 19,728 steps today
  • I took a 30 minute mindful walk around campus; classes don't start until next week, so it was very quiet. I heard a red-shouldered hawk competing for my attention against some blue jays. I breathed in the damp, cool air and could smell the remnants of recent rain and fog. It's interesting: it was warmer than it has been in a while, but the ground is still frozen. I rubbed my hand along the bark of an oddly shaped tree and also found some ice nestled between the branches of another tree. I put the ice in my mouth and was surprised by the earthy crispness of it.
  • All caught up on the 100/100 challenge, which means in the past 9 days I have done 900 push-ups, 900 squats, and about 90 "just because" burpees. I'm taking Mike's advice and mixing up the types of push-ups. I do them normal, wide, diamond, arms in close, and uneven. I saw another type online called the Spiderman pushup that looks pretty cool. And I found this list from Greatist of 82 push-up variations.
  • I finished a 7-day streak on Duolingo. I'm really being challenged by @Korranation and several other active members of our Spanish club.

nazgulfinalblog.png

• Continuing to read Fellowship, D=F Field Manual, and The Sun Also Rises.
  • Worked with my mentor today carrying discarded materials and trash from the new house to his truck and then burning most of the trash. I also carried out his Little Giant ladder and carried some buckets of broken ceramic tile to the trashcans. And of course I took care of the chickens.
  • Tomorrow is Wednesday, so I'm hoping to run a 5k. It will be my first in a while, so I need to make sure I give myself plenty of time.
  • Breakfast: Siggi's strawberry yogurt and coffee with Kerrygold butter and coconut oil, lunch: sushi with eel, tuna, salmon, avocado and cucumber, dinner: The queen made Italian sausage with red, orange and yellow peppers topped with marinara and mozzarella.

H33wz1K.gif

• About to finish my requirements for water intake.
  • Getting some laundry done for my queen. Also did the dishes as soon as I got home from work.
  • Arabella has been sleeping in her own room because she made a deal with my wife: try three nights going to bed without Mommy and staying in your room all night and as a reward, we will buy her a Jojo Siwa doll. If you're not familiar with Jojo, just Youtube her. Three nights down. I'm ready to join my queen in bed.

c04faab519a3f0dfe3e909ec7d2ba91f--famous

• Like 9

Found you! What a lovely challenge. You always have such a well-rounded selection of goals addressing physical health, mindfulness and gratitude, family love and support, etc. I find it really inspiring and I am also amazed by how much you seem able to get done in a day.

Tengo que aprender español tambien! Ahora, no sé mucho. Quiero aprender porque enseño ESL y muchos de mis estudientes son Latinos. Puedo unirme a tu club español en duolingo?

I am in awe of your many pushups, for the record.

Also I love that you're reading LotR. I love the books, and reading them always brings me such a deep sense of peace and consciousness of my humanity. Most recently I read it while travelling solo (mostly hiking, and some buses) across the highlands of Scotland, and now when I think of it I always think of how wonderful that experience was. Glad you're incorporating stories that you enjoy and find inspiration from into your daily life.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Severine said:

Puedo unirme a tu club español en duolingo?

Sí. El código es 2SVWJ7.

40 minutes ago, Severine said:

Found you!

I am glad you did. You are always so encouraging, not just to me but much of the NF community. Please come back as often as you can.

42 minutes ago, Severine said:

I am in awe of your many pushups, for the record.

It hasn't been easy, trust me. I am in awe, as well. I thought I would have given up by now.

Hope to see you soon.

• Like 2