• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manarelle

Slow and steady... [Manarelle]

15 hours ago, @mu said:

Do you find yourself mixing up languages sometimes or getting into language blanks? The way the brain is working is fascinating sometimes.

I find there are words I can’t remember in one language until I think of them in the other. The oddest one is, whenever I try to say “bathing suit,” I instead say, “pajamas” until I think of “malla” in Spanish and then my brain gives me the right word. What’s odd is that English is my preferred language. My children think this is hysterical, btw. One of these days they’re going to put on their pajamas to go to the pool, just to mock me. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yes! Not being able to remember words in your native language when you are learning another language can be so frustrating. Especially when the person you’re speaking with doesn’t know the other language. Then you just sound a bit crazy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, otterbyte said:

The oddest one is, whenever I try to say “bathing suit,” I instead say, “pajamas” until I think of “malla” in Spanish and then my brain gives me the right word.

:lol:

3 hours ago, otterbyte said:

What’s odd is that English is my preferred language.

I speak to myself in English mostly. My inner voice in French (my mother tongue) tends to be critical and rude :lol: so I just dropped it after a while. But I'm not sure I have a preferred language as such. I like English because I find it more rigorous / to the point. But then I also really like Persian because it's very sweet and poetic.

When I go to France, I need a couple of days to get back in the groove proper. Once I went on to take an aikido class the day after I arrived. I told the teacher it was just one off because I was not living there. And at the end of the class, he told me: "Your French is really very good". :blink::D  Lolz, thanks, not sure how to take this, but I said thank you anyway.

• Like 3

On 1/8/2018 at 7:57 AM, @mu said:

Do you find yourself mixing up languages sometimes or getting into language blanks? The way the brain is working is fascinating sometimes.

Often; ironically, just as much in english (native tongue) as in other languages. Thankfully, my gentleman can usually supply the missing word fairly quickly, and my friends in other languages are also multilingual, so understand the mental disconnect. 

I don't mix up languages often, just because the Russian and French phonemes (letter pronunciation/ sounds) are radically different. Try speaking French with a Russian accent, or vice versa. It's sufficiently awkward that my mouth just refuses to do it. Japanese, too, is sufficiently different that I haven't had any confusion. I'm sure if I learned languages from the same family, there would be many more problems. 

15 hours ago, raptron said:

Hope this week goes better on the work front. And yesss, for warmth finally. We might get as high as 60 this Friday (...?!!?)

Work closed early yesterday in anticipation of the ice storm. Thankfully, it held off until after I hit the gym and got home. 32° this morning felt downright balmy; I am definitely looking forward to the tropical temps of over 40°.

11 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I like the warmer temperatures, but can someone else take the rain that's coming along with it?

Free car wash, just saying. 

9 hours ago, juliebarkley said:

Yes! Not being able to remember words in your native language when you are learning another language can be so frustrating. Especially when the person you’re speaking with doesn’t know the other language. Then you just sound a bit crazy. 

https://imgur.com/K2XldlV (the comments are delightful). We are not alone, and thankfully, it's usually hilarious to others. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I don't mix up languages often, just because the Russian and French phonemes (letter pronunciation/ sounds) are radically different. Try speaking French with a Russian accent, or vice versa. It's sufficiently awkward that my mouth just refuses to do it. Japanese, too, is sufficiently different that I haven't had any confusion. I'm sure if I learned languages from the same family, there would be many more problems. 

ha I see. I have a French accent when I speak whatever language, I can't help it, my mouth does it on its own :D

https://imgur.com/K2XldlV (the comments are delightful). We are not alone, and thankfully, it's usually hilarious to others. 

:lol: Hilarious! The best I have done so far here is go into a pharmacy and say: "I have mental troubles, could you please give me a bear?"
And the amazing thing is that the guy laughed and gave me ibuprofene. He totally got it.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2018 at 12:36 PM, @mu said:

:lol: Hilarious! The best I have done so far here is go into a pharmacy and say: "I have mental troubles, could you please give me a bear?"
And the amazing thing is that the guy laughed and gave me ibuprofene. He totally got it.

Nice. Whenever I start to worry about how I sound in another language, I imagine how I'd react if someone came up and spoke my language to me, flawed. I know everyone doesn't agree, but I'd be flattered they're trying, and do my best to help them, so why worry about it when I'm on the flawed side? The only way to succeed is to fail a little better each time. 

In other news, Week 2 review:

• Sewing: I am almost done with Pants #2 - just have to hand-sew the waistband lining, button, and hook & eye, and I'll be done. 
  • Exercise: 3 weights days, 2 cardio, PT tomorrow.
  • Thermoplastics: Still on hold til the pants are done.
  • Languages: On track.  

In other news, this week was terrible. The gastric issues caused by ridiculous antibiotics for a sinus infection were almost gone, then I erred heavily and accepted free lunch from Chipotle, bringing them back with a vengeance. For three days this week, I ate nothing but white rice, wheat toast, and apples; I was under my daily calorie goal by several hundred every day, but still pushed through with weights, between trips to the bathroom. Today, I was finally able to eat a normal breakfast (2 eggs, toast with nutella, almond milk) without  issue, so there's hope, but it wasn't a fun week. Here's to the next one being better. 

Edit: Forgot to mention: the weights room on Friday evening is oddly deserted, so I decided to try a crow pose on some paralettes they had. Turns out it's substantially easier to do on bars than flat hands on the carpet. There may have been some giggling, and a promise to do it again next time. 

• Like 4

In other news, this week was terrible. The gastric issues caused by ridiculous antibiotics for a sinus infection were almost gone, then I erred heavily and accepted free lunch from Chipotle, bringing them back with a vengeance. For three days this week, I ate nothing but white rice, wheat toast, and apples; I was under my daily calorie goal by several hundred every day, but still pushed through with weights, between trips to the bathroom. Today, I was finally able to eat a normal breakfast (2 eggs, toast with nutella, almond milk) without  issue, so there's hope, but it wasn't a fun week. Here's to the next one being better. 

oh dear! I'm impressed you still managed to pull through all your goals! Hats off to you! I  hope you get better soon!

• Like 2

Week 3 review:

• Sewing: Finished pants, washed pants, need to re-position button & hook closure, otherwise done. 
  • Exercise: 3 weights days, 2 cardio, one Kenpo, one PT. 
  • Thermoplastics: Cut out pattern pieces for Mjolnir. 

Quiet week, just plugging along. Kenpo class resumed, still loving it, did not forget as much as I feared. Upped a couple more weights at the gym. Went in for a physical on Friday, mentioned the cold weather/ exercise breathing problems, doc prescribed me an emergency/ preventative inhaler; I'm still on the fence about it. If it works, yay, I can get back to running instead of walking for cardio, but man... I spent years weaning myself off it when I was a teenager. In hindsight, I probably just stopped exerting myself in cold weather so I wouldn't need it, but I hate the idea of being dependent on meds. Something to work on, mentally, I suppose. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Quiet week, just plugging along.

Quiet but moving forward surely and effectively! Well done!

13 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Went in for a physical on Friday, mentioned the cold weather/ exercise breathing problems, doc prescribed me an emergency/ preventative inhaler; I'm still on the fence about it. If it works, yay, I can get back to running instead of walking for cardio, but man... I spent years weaning myself off it when I was a teenager. In hindsight, I probably just stopped exerting myself in cold weather so I wouldn't need it, but I hate the idea of being dependent on meds. Something to work on, mentally, I suppose. 

Do you have a sort of asthma-related problem? I'm sorry to hear, it's really a bugger to say the least. My husband is dealing with something asthma-related and it does affect his quality of life quite a bit.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Quiet week, just plugging along. Kenpo class resumed, still loving it, did not forget as much as I feared. Upped a couple more weights at the gym. Went in for a physical on Friday, mentioned the cold weather/ exercise breathing problems, doc prescribed me an emergency/ preventative inhaler; I'm still on the fence about it. If it works, yay, I can get back to running instead of walking for cardio, but man... I spent years weaning myself off it when I was a teenager. In hindsight, I probably just stopped exerting myself in cold weather so I wouldn't need it, but I hate the idea of being dependent on meds. Something to work on, mentally, I suppose. 

I confess I have spent long periods of my life pretending I don't have asthma, then something happens (either I'm exercising in the cold or sick) and uh, OH YEAH, this asthma thing...  It's a bummer but I'm trying to be better about it and keep an inhaler around just to be on the safe side.  Also, when I lived in MN, I was always super careful to keep a scarf or facemask over my mouth/nose pretty much all the time so the air would be warmer & not so dry. That might help with being able to use it a bit less, at least? 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2018 at 10:24 PM, @mu said:

Do you have a sort of asthma-related problem? I'm sorry to hear, it's really a bugger to say the least. My husband is dealing with something asthma-related and it does affect his quality of life quite a bit.

Exercise- and cold-induced asthma, since I was a kid. Thankfully I know the triggers, and can manage them fairly well, and if I do trigger it, I know what to do so there's no panic or anxiety involved, but still irksome. 

On 1/22/2018 at 3:32 PM, traaki said:

Also, when I lived in MN, I was always super careful to keep a scarf or facemask over my mouth/nose pretty much all the time so the air would be warmer & not so dry. That might help with being able to use it a bit less, at least? 

Unfortunately, that doesn't work well with wearing glasses, but if it comes to a decision between breathing or seeing clearly, that's certainly a solution. No breathing problems this week, but it's supposed to turn cold again next week, so we shall see.

Despite being warmer and getting glimpses of beautiful blue skies, this week has been spent testing my resolve to not allow drama in. With one exception, every female I regularly interact with has some drama going on in her life and has tried to drag me into it, from work sniping to family inheritance inanity. I have offered sympathy and solutions (at appropriate times), but only get excuses - the same excuses I've heard from each one for the last 3-20 years, depending on how long I've known them. I have not completely cut contact with them, but I have severely limited my exposure to them and set boundaries, for self-preservation. Sadly, this means I did not get much else done this week, but I believe I have set the stage for the future to improve.

Week 4 review:

• Sewing: Pants done, nothing new started. 
  • Exercise: 3 weights days, 2 cardio, one Kenpo, one PT. 
  • Thermoplastics: Nothing.
  • Languages: Done.
  • Like 2

On 1/29/2018 at 6:56 AM, raptron said:

Drama barriers are a smart, often necessary implementation. 

+1 to this. Sounds like you're already handling it really well, so kudos for that. It's tough. It's exhausting when people drag you into drama but have no actual intention of resolving their problems. 

On 1/28/2018 at 8:44 AM, Manarelle said:

Unfortunately, that doesn't work well with wearing glasses, but if it comes to a decision between breathing or seeing clearly, that's certainly a solution. No breathing problems this week, but it's supposed to turn cold again next week, so we shall see.

Yeah, glasses + cold weather are generally kind of a terrible fit. Hope the upcoming cold doesn't cause any issues. <3

• Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 10:01 AM, Manarelle said:

Nice. Whenever I start to worry about how I sound in another language, I imagine how I'd react if someone came up and spoke my language to me, flawed. I know everyone doesn't agree, but I'd be flattered they're trying, and do my best to help them, so why worry about it when I'm on the flawed side? The only way to succeed is to fail a little better each time. 

I totally agree with you - it is my experience here in Korea, that people will respect and try to understand me when I speak in broken Korean. It puts them at ease, and they may feel less of a burden later if they have to speak (broken) English. People are a lot less judgmental than we are towards ourselves. A lot more forgiving too. 

So sorry to hear that you had a hard week gastrically speaking! And impressed that you pushed through with the weights - I usually stick to cardio when my energy level is low, because I am afraid of injuring myself. Hope next week will be all good!!

• Like 2

On 1/30/2018 at 4:29 PM, @mu said:

Holy cow! I had missed this, it's amazing! It's huge also. I'm not sure why, I assumed you were working on a smaller scale.

On 1/31/2018 at 11:10 PM, Asuka said:

One day, one day, I will try something as wonderful as this... This looks really awesome. ^_^

It does looks amazing, and no, it's full-scale for cosplay. Sadly, no progress made on it this week.

Week 5 review:

• Sewing: Cut out pants #3, leaving generous seams. 
  • Exercise: 3 weights days, 2 cardio, PT, and Kenpo. 
  • Thermoplastics: No progress, see below. 

Since I lost a day of my weekend last week to drama - planned, minimized, and closed out, but still cost a day - and had some unrelated sleeping problems, this was not a productive week. I got the next set of pants cut out, got my workouts in, and kept languages going, but most of my otherwise free time was spent with books. Not a bad thing now and then, just not something I want to do every week (Well, I do, but my sense of productivity doesn't). I suspected this last challenge, and confirmed it in this one: sewing and thermoplastics need to share a line, I cannot have open projects in both or else I revert to having a craft swamp. I will finish another pair of hopefully wearable work pants, then shift focus to finishing the bracer and Mjolnir before opening another sewing project. This categorization becomes increasingly important as spring and gardening season creeps nearer. 

Exercise is doing well, I think that's a set habit now. Ditto with diet; I'd like to add more protein, but sheer calories in/ calories out is an unconscious habit now. I've been trying to have a cheat day for the last two weeks, but my body craves healthier foods, and it's hard to go over without warning signs from the stomach that I'll feel like crap later. I'll look into this more and find some healthy, calorie-dense stuff I can enjoy. Languages are also doing well, just need to keep it up. I doubt I'll ever hit a point where I feel further practice is unnecessary, however, so I'm not going to worry about that. 

All in all, good challenge, learned things, will tweak going forward, but very similar maintenance goals. Cheers.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2018 at 9:56 AM, raptron said:

Drama barriers are a smart, often necessary implementation. 

On 1/30/2018 at 3:32 PM, traaki said:

+1 to this. Sounds like you're already handling it really well, so kudos for that. It's tough. It's exhausting when people drag you into drama but have no actual intention of resolving their problems. 

I've been paying a decent amount of attention to my role in furthering drama in recent years. I used to be the type to come home and complain about close to everything and everyone, how they started this and did that, and everyone is soooo stupid, I'm sure everyone knows someone that. I eventually realized that, in doing that, I was the one furthering the drama, and as with anger, it was really only affecting me (and whoever my poor audience was) at that point. I'm working on letting it go without letting it affect me; my relationship and life in general is much calmer now, although I still slip up from time to time. I don't have that many close friends, so having them all hit at once was rough, but I think it's settling down (knock on wood).  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I've been paying a decent amount of attention to my role in furthering drama in recent years. I used to be the type to come home and complain about close to everything and everyone, how they started this and did that, and everyone is soooo stupid, I'm sure everyone knows someone that. I eventually realized that, in doing that, I was the one furthering the drama, and as with anger, it was really only affecting me (and whoever my poor audience was) at that point. I'm working on letting it go without letting it affect me; my relationship and life in general is much calmer now, although I still slip up from time to time. I don't have that many close friends, so having them all hit at once was rough, but I think it's settling down (knock on wood).  

I am trying to learn the same thing now. Realized I was making myself unhappy bu complaining all the time (and never changing anything), so I am trying to improve that and reframe my thoughts (1/ people are doing the best they can, 2/ judging them is not constructive, 3/ complaining about things I cannot change it useless - I should either change things or find ways to tolerate them). Gratefulness also helps a lot, in creating lots of little moments of "happy things", these compensate for crappy moments!

Hope your relationship with friends will go back to a much calmer one, sharing support and happiness!

9 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I suspected this last challenge, and confirmed it in this one: sewing and thermoplastics need to share a line, I cannot have open projects in both or else I revert to having a craft swamp. I will finish another pair of hopefully wearable work pants, then shift focus to finishing the bracer and Mjolnir before opening another sewing project. This categorization becomes increasingly important as spring and gardening season creeps nearer. 

Congrats for reaching that conclusion! I am still struggling with my free time. Trying to do too much and thinking it will "not take that much time", although it always does. 

I want to do better with prioritizing and sequencing too! So I am not buying the piano until I am done with my current stickers and trading cards period (and sold some of them!), otherwise I am afraid I will have 3-4 projects started and none finished and me just unhappy because I don't have enough time to do all that I want to do. 

Your idea of having different lines which run in parallel but in limited number is great. I will try to think a bit more in these terms and see if it helps!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Exercise is doing well, I think that's a set habit now. Ditto with diet; I'd like to add more protein, but sheer calories in/ calories out is an unconscious habit now. I've been trying to have a cheat day for the last two weeks, but my body craves healthier foods, and it's hard to go over without warning signs from the stomach that I'll feel like crap later. I'll look into this more and find some healthy, calorie-dense stuff I can enjoy. Languages are also doing well, just need to keep it up. I doubt I'll ever hit a point where I feel further practice is unnecessary, however, so I'm not going to worry about that. 

All in all, good challenge, learned things, will tweak going forward, but very similar maintenance goals. Cheers.

Yay for the habits. :D Nuts and good, dark chocolate are my favorite "healthier" calorie dense goodies. Especially when combined. Avocados, shakes/smoothies with lots of fruit and maybe added protein, sweet potatoes, tahini, etc. are all good things that could maybe help bulk up your meals on those days you want to eat more. Though all of them are very satiating, so it may not be super easy.

22 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I eventually realized that, in doing that, I was the one furthering the drama, and as with anger, it was really only affecting me (and whoever my poor audience was) at that point. I'm working on letting it go without letting it affect me; my relationship and life in general is much calmer now, although I still slip up from time to time.

It's such a good insight to have and great step to take for yourself and your own mental health/emotional productivity. I think even when we make these changes or aren't drawn to the drama in the first place, it's impossible not to slip occasionally! Especially if it is something your friends really need you for emotional support and all that. It sounds like you were able to engage/help them without it dragging you under. :) 

• Like 2