Veggies Leaving me Hungry

I'm going pretty heavy with the veggies this week, trying to Paleo and all. I find an hour after I eat I'm starving though. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions on how to beat it? My guess is that it's just a lower calorie in-take. Today I had a lot of veggies and some pork tenderloin for lunch. That was just under 1.5hrs ago. And I've got the grumbly rumblys already

When you are going Paleo, you really need to up the healthy fats. Try adding butter (if you do dairy), coconut oil, or olive oil to everything. Get some avocados. Eat good protein with every meal. Your body also needs a bit of time to adjust from using primarily carbs as fuel to using primarily fat as fuel. Some people also experience withdrawal symptoms from giving up the grains.

Hang in there! Half of it is mental - your digestive system still automatically prepares itself for grains, so when you don't get them, your brain figures something is missing.

Fats are seriously the key to paleo. The reason why low-fat diets don't work is that the body craves them as an energy source, and then people splurge on the wrong kind. Fats will fill you up and keep you satiated.

This is a problem with low carb diets too.

Your body has to adjust from primarily processing carbs for energy back to processing fats.

South Beach has a "phase 1" which lasts two weeks to "break the carb addiction" and when i've done it, it killed me with hunger...for about 4 days.

Hang in there, it will get better.

When you are going Paleo, you really need to up the healthy fats. Try adding butter (if you do dairy), coconut oil, or olive oil to everything. Get some avocados. Eat good protein with every meal. Your body also needs a bit of time to adjust from using primarily carbs as fuel to using primarily fat as fuel. Some people also experience withdrawal symptoms from giving up the grains.

I feel like I had with drawl last night once the fresh cookies were made at home :)

I seriously felt like I was going a little insane. I ended up eating 2, just because I thought it was silly to go that nuts over a cookie.

The ones I had today were stir fried yesterday in a healthy dose of olive oil. The fat thing is good to know though

Protein has the greatest satiety effect of the macro nutrients.

So, eat more steak!

Also up your water in take as well.

As you switch to a low carb diet your glycogen reserves drop down a touch (Your muscles contain approximately 1 part glycogen to 3 parts water) hence the initial water weight drop when switching to low carb.

That being said. Do not mask hunger with water, that's how you starve your body.

Just experiment a little Rob

You don't need to do it all at once. If it works better to take it in steps to let your body adjust then do that.

Fats will also help a touch as well. Mainly for the pleasure effect and thus the mental plus you get when you eat something that tastes good.

I find getting enough protein in, at every meal, paired with either eggs (breakfast) or vegetables keeps me full until the next meal. I think the key to Paleo (from my own personal experience) is getting enough protein and healthy fat with every meal.

I couldn't have given up grains if I didn't switch it up with more protein and vegetables.

I have the same issue! I've been a vegetarian all my life ( except I sneak in eggs every blue moon), and if there aren't any big complex carbs ( bread, pasta, rice) i get hungry still. I"ve been making a veggie stir fry daily for dinner for about a month now,

It's just 3-4 cups of sauteed vegetables ( green peppers, onions. mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli) , 2 tsp of spaghetti sauce, and one slice of cheese. I find that the cheese and sauce makes me fill up. Perhaps you are not eating enough vegetables?

Try adding in some protein with it , it will def help