• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hypotheticalfox

Hypotheticalfox Hits the Reset Button (Hypothetically)

I haven’t done a challenge in a while, so with the new year (and a bunch of new workout clothes from Christmas), I’m ready to start anew. I think one of the reasons I’ve slacked off since summer is because life is pretty good right now. My job teaching is steady and I’m enough years in I’m don’t stress about it too much. Financially, we’ve put a lot of work in and are down to just a mortgage, debt-wise- no student loans, no more car payments as of this month, and no credit card bills. We’ve had my daughter’s health issues under control for over a year now (yay! A year and a half with no hospital trips!) and I’m pretty used to cooking without dairy and soy for her benefit. I’ve become complacent, and in doing so I’ve started back-sliding on things I used to be better about.

But no more.

My goals:

1. Reset my diet- In July I did an elimination diet to see if food was causing my horrible cystic acne. It wasn’t (it was hormones), but cutting out processed/added sugar, grains, dairy, soy, and legumes actually made me feel really, really good. I slept better, I had more energy, and I felt better in general. After I had reintroduced the foods back into my diet, junk food slowly crept back into my eating until Halloween really sent me into a sugar spiral that I never fully recovered from. I learned I’m not good at moderation. I’m better with black and white rules. So, for this challenge, I’m going back to the basics and choosing to eliminate those foods again for the duration.

2. Sleep- Be in bed by 10:30 EVERY NIGHT! Toddlers don’t sleep in and, therefore, neither do I. I need to go to bed when I know I need to go to bed and stop pretending I’ll find time to make up the sleep later.

3. Exercise- I really like the exercise classes my small country town’s YMCA offers. They’re a mix of cardio, weights, and body weight training, with great supportive trainers. I also like getting out of the house sans husband and toddler and working out is a good reason. Unfortunately with the hubby of Christmas I’ve cut back from 2-3x/week to 1x and I’m feeling it. My goal is to go at least 2x/week but really shooting to get back to 3x per week if no pressing family/work issues come up.

4. Push-ups- During my last challenge, I worked myself up to being able to do 5-10 push-ups in a row. Now I can’t. I want to do that again. Just like last time, I’ll do 10 push-ups every day no matter what starting with incline ones, until I can do floor push-ups again. My goal is to do 5 floor push-ups in a row by the end of it. Hopefully more.

5. Adventures with Mommy- We live walking distance to both the YMCA and the local library, and during warm weather it seemed like everyday my daughter and I would take an “adventure” to one of those places or a playground or park. Now, the snow has arrived- like seriously arrived. We can’t walk places so I find us getting stuck in an adventure rut. My goal is to do a minimum of one out of the house adventure per week. Bonus points for additional ones, no negative points if we’re snowed in for a full week and can’t leave the house.

6371d773e555536c1e261ad20259b05c.jpg

Those are my (long winded) goals. They seem reasonable- almost too reasonable. I start January 2nd. Wish me luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

I too, am absolutely no good at moderation.  I've got stubbornness but no willpower :P took me a long time and more backslides than I care to remember to realise this.  

Love your goals!  Following along :) 

• Like 3

Roughly two days until I officially begin my challenge. I went to exercise class this morning and happily got my butt kicked. Burpees with weights (even 5-8 pound weights like I was using) with a knee to elbow oblique thing and a “push up” (I use that very loosely in my case, hence the goal) before doing another one are no joke. I’m going to be the best sort of sore for New Years.
I haven’t started my food goal yet, and kind of went in the other direction in honor of my husband’s birthday. He’s not a cake guy so I made an apple pie. Totoro is my love, not his, but he was fine with it.7b3ad670d4f6f3d400e41c6e633463d8.jpg

I went partial grocery shopping and made my meal plan for the week today though so I feel like I accomplished something.

Happy almost New Year’s Eve!

• Like 4

Welcome back!

On 12/26/2017 at 3:02 PM, Hypotheticalfox said:

Those are my (long winded) goals. They seem reasonable- almost too reasonable. I start January 2nd. Wish me luck!

Reasonable goals are very reasonable for the start of the year. Good luck!

On 12/30/2017 at 5:45 PM, Hypotheticalfox said:

I haven’t started my food goal yet, and kind of went in the other direction in honor of my husband’s birthday. He’s not a cake guy so I made an apple pie. Totoro is my love, not his, but he was fine with it.

I love that pie. :D

• Like 2

Must get all the sleep! :) Sounds like a good set of challenge goals. At my best, I could barely pull off 10 pushups. And ohh the burpees. Soon though ;)

Update log: Day 1

1. Diet Reset: Stuck to what is essentially an elimination diet, especially no added sugars in anything. +1
43953fd7b99f2334307826ee4dee5d04.jpg
(The bottom is my lunch, the top is Bee’s lunch/breakfast for her sitter’s house. We both had roast turkey thighs, broccoli, and fruits/veggies on the side.)

2. Sleep: I started getting ready for bed around 10:00 and was in bed by 10:15. +1

3. Exercise class- None attended since the challenge started but I’ll be going on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. +0

4. Push-ups: I had to go back to incline push-ups in my stairs. I did 10 incline push-ups from the second stair from the bottom. Not easy like it should’ve been, but last time I had to start from the fourth stair, so that’s something. +1

5. Mommy Adventures: I took Bee to the library for an hourish after dinner last night. We’re not used to going at night (granted it was only 5:45, not exactly burning the midnight oil) but it was dark and she was excited to see the moon and “the night library”. I liked that name and thought it might make a really good title for a book or story someday. The husband stayed home, did the dishes and got his workout in while we were gone, so everyone won. +1

Day one went well. I’ll hopefully update on day 2 tomorrow.

• Like 4

Update Log: Day 2

1. Diet- All foods I ate were on plan. I’ve found myself drinking a lot more tea and water in place of snacking. I snack mindlessly it turns out, and now when I want a snack, I drink tea or water instead. +1
58576d0b754347587218070177014516.jpg
Yesterday’s lunch was three spicy tuna cakes (nom nom paleo) with homemade mayo, broccoli, and a smattering of grapes, tomatoes, carrots, and sliced apple. I usually eat in my classroom to get work done and avoid teachers’ lounge gossip, and my next class of kids complained about the lingering fish smell. Oh well, still delicious.

2. Sleep- In bed at 10:08 +1

3. Exercise Class- I stayed on my old routine of going to exercise class at the YMCA and Andrea (the instructor) kicked my butt. It felt good. +1

4. Push-ups: Before bed I did 15 second stair push-ups and they were still tough especially after working out earlier in the evening. +1

5. Mommy Adventures: none, but the goal was to do at least one per week, so that’s ok. +0

• Like 3

On 12/26/2017 at 2:02 PM, Hypotheticalfox said:

I really like the exercise classes my small country town’s YMCA offers.

Small town YMCA for the win! My town and the surrounding farm areas are only about a 10K population. You know you are at a small town YMCA when you see old guys fresh from the farm working out in jeans and flannels lol.

• Like 2

Small town YMCA for the win! My town and the surrounding farm areas are only about a 10K population. You know you are at a small town YMCA when you see old guys fresh from the farm working out in jeans and flannels lol.

So true! Or if half the coats hanging up are carhart or camo (both male and female coats).

• Like 2

Daily update: day 3-3.5

Today all the school districts in like a 2 hour radius closed because of cold, so The husband and I have a free day off. We still dropped Bee off at the sitter’s this morning though so we could de-Christmas the house. You might not know this, but a two year old is not very helpful at cleaning. Right now, we just finished, and I’m going to go take a luxurious mid-day bath.

1. Diet: kept on track yesterday even though my in laws came over and brought good pizza. (The tiny town we live in has only really shitty overpriced pizza, so when they drive in from Buffalo on Thursday, they tend to buy a half-bake from a good pizzeria and finish it in the oven here.) I had to leave to go to exercise class around dinner time so when I came home I ate more spicy tuna cakes and a banana with almond butter. +1

Today for breakfast I made myself three slices of sugar free bacon and a spinach, tomato, and green onion omelette garnished with lemon juice. It took way too many dishes to make, but who cares! It’s a snow day!97dc0367d45388b026a914a04cb56e8d.jpg

I also threw a pork shoulder into the crockpot with salt and liquid smoke, so it will be ready for dinner and make the house smell delicious.

2. Sleep: it was a close one, but I was in bed by 10:20. I did wake up a few times though. Don’t know why.

3. Exercise Class- I went to suspension class last night and was still sore from Wednesday. Suspension, for some reason, always surprises me about how difficult it is. It doesn’t seem like it should be, but I’m always sore afterwards, particularly sore today too. +1

4. Push-ups: I did 20 second stair push-ups right before bed so I could give my shoulders and arms time to recover from class. They were still hard, but I’m adding five push-ups everyday until I move down a stair. +1

5. Mommy Adventures- None today, but already done this week.

PS- I don’t know if anyone else is psyched, but the Bills FINALLY made the play offs!

GO BILLS!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

PS- I don’t know if anyone else is psyched, but the Bills FINALLY made the play offs!

GO BILLS!!

I grew up in Kansas City (and still only live about an hour and half away), so I am super super excited to have us in the playoffs as well!

• Like 1

Update Log day 4

1. Diet: still on course. Made shredded pork shoulder into lettuce wraps with cauliflower rice, homemade mayo and hot sauce. +1

af40cfa07915553116a03eded0d4ba3b.jpg

2. Sleep- The husband and I watched The Great Muppet Caper until 10:00, then we went to bed.

3. Exercise- no class on fridays. +0

4. Push-ups: did 25 second stair push-ups. After 20, my husband walked by and pointed out my butt was too high and my form is wrong (thanks honey...) so I did 5 more correctly and they suck. +1

5. Mommy Adventures- None/ already accomplished for the week+0

• Like 2

Week One Points Tally (only 5 days this week)

1. Diet: 5/5 (Though I’ve wanted to cave a few times.)

2. Sleep- 4/4 (I haven’t officially gotten the 5th point yet because day 5 is today)

3. Push-ups: 4/4 (see note for goal 2)

4. Exercise Class: 3/3 I went to all three of my planned exercise classes this week (and got to show off my new workout leggings from Christmas).

5. Mommy Adventures- 1/1 Went to the “night library” early in the week.

Total points: 19/19 (edited to add night points)

• Like 3

junk food slowly crept back into my eating

Isnt amazing how it does that...

I learned I’m not good at moderation. I’m better with black and white rules.

Hear hear!!

From all your posts you seem to be doing awesome 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

Total points: 17/17 (with two additional points to be added on tomorrow if I meet the goals tonight).

Doing great so far!!! Keep it up! 

Hear hear!!

From all your posts you seem to be doing awesome 

Thanks! I’ve learned a few things about myself in the last 31 years. I’m good at following clear rules for a set amount of time. If there’s no set end point it won’t stick though. I’m good at working towards a goal, especially one that I feel social pressure to complete (hence why I post often). I’m not good at “bribing” myself to do things because my sneaky brain tells me “Why wait to buy/ do it? You’re just going to get it anyway eventually? Even if you don’t complete the thing, you’ll still probably get it. So get it now.” And to me that makes too much sense so I do, hence no rewards other than points. Otherwise I’m too tempted to lie to justify the prize.
Social support/pressure and a definite timeline are my two biggest success factors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

Thanks! I’ve learned a few things about myself in the last 31 years. I’m good at following clear rules for a set amount of time. If there’s no set end point it won’t stick though. I’m good at working towards a goal, especially one that I feel social pressure to complete (hence why I post often). I’m not good at “bribing” myself to do things because my sneaky brain tells me “Why wait to buy/ do it? You’re just going to get it anyway eventually? Even if you don’t complete the thing, you’ll still probably get it. So get it now.” And to me that makes too much sense so I do, hence no rewards other than points. Otherwise I’m too tempted to lie to justify the prize.
Social support/pressure and a definite timeline are my two biggest success factors.

Dude, I've been figuring that out about myself as well!

I was just thinkimg that this morning about rewarding myself if I make my goals, and how it doesn't work for me. Cause like you said I'll buy myself new gym clothes if I want.

Its so nice when you can just trust and know yourself.

• Like 2

Update Log: Sunday #2

1. Diet- Still on track for diet. Even avoided pizza and wings during the Bills’ first playoff game is 17 years. +1

2. Sleep- Finished watching The Great Muppet Caper and went to bed by 10:15. I did wake up a whole bunch, some of which I can blame on my darling daughter, but not all. I was sleeping so soundly for a while. Where did that go? +1

3. Exercise class- planning on Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday again. +0

4. Push-ups- Moved down to the first stair step. Did 10 push-ups there with a break in the middle. +1

5. Mommy Adventures- None Sunday. I thought about going to the library tonight (Monday)with her like last week, but I’m feeling kind of yucky right now, so maybe not. +0

Total- +3

• Like 1

Update Log: Monday #2

1. Diet: Still on track with no grains, dairy, soy, legumes, or added sugar. My lunch was good even though I wasn’t feeling well, but I was a poor planner and didn’t get my spaghetti squash into the oven in time for dinner. The husband and Bee has pasta and homemade meat sauce (I thought ahead and instant potted the sauce the previous night), and I had a smoothie and a bowl of meat sauce which was surprising good. I called it meat and tomato soup. +1

2. Sleep: 10:15 in bed. I was sleeping soundly until about 12:00, when the husband woke me up because he was pretty sure Bee had pooped in her sleep. (Not to have me do it, but to have me help him do it.) Thanks babe. It definitely takes two people to change a sleeping two year old : / Luckily I was able to fall back into a sound sleep quickly until my alarm. +1

3. Exercise Class: Nope. It wasn’t a Wednesday, Thursday, or Saturday. +0

4. Push-ups: I did 15 on the bottom step in sets of 5 with breaks in between. I also tried to do a pull-up on the husband’s chin-up bar ( hilariously epic fail), a slow lower down on the chin-up bar ( mostly fail), a tricep dip on his dip machine/bar thing (super fail), and reverse push-up pull-up thing in the dip machine (success a few times!). +1

5. Mommy Adventures: didn’t end up going to the library with Bee yesterday, but our faculty meeting after school today is cancelled, and the YMCA open swim hours today might work or library. We’ll see. +0

• Like 4