• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hypotheticalfox

Hypotheticalfox Hits the Reset Button (Hypothetically)

Someday, I shall be able to do a pull up   Nice work trying

Thanks! A single pull up will be a goal on some future challenge, but I feel like first I need to get simple push-ups under control. Walk before you can run, right?

My husband’s a head and shoulders above me in fitness and strength, but I out rank him in cooking, hand embroidery, and birthing children (wow those strengths sounded like I’m from the 1700s), so everyone has their strengths I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

Update Log: Tuesday #2

1. Diet: Going great! I forget sometimes how much I actually do love spaghetti squash, when I’m not actively thinking about my eating. I should make it more often. +1
e58ffb33bcb9a7a2a2e6be83bdb83cdf.jpg

2. Sleep: in bed by 10:15, but Bee woke up around 4:30 and never really settled back to sleep, so therefore I never really settled back to sleep. Still, I guess 6 hours isn’t too bad. +1

3. Exercise Class- nope. (Not a wed., thurs., or sat.) +0

4. Push-ups: I did 20 belabored push-ups in the bottom stair with breaks every five or so. I remembered to keep my butt down, but about half way through the husband walks by and asks me why my arms are so far apart. Dammit, I thought I finally had the form down. Thanks honey... (but actually thanks, too I guess). +1

5.Mommy Adventures- The faculty meeting was cancelled yesterday, so after work Bee and I went to the library for about an hour and a half. For such a small country town, we have a great library, especially for kids. She played with their felt family set, the puppets and puppet theater, and their plastic food and cooking sets (which is almost the same as what we have at home, but for some reason is infinitely more fascinating at the library), and then for the last 15 mins or so, we picked out books. I texted the husband when we were checking out, and he had dinner ready to go when we got home. Big success all around. +1

Side note: At the library I picked up this:e5c071acc0525b86ed8315fecf9368e9.jpg
This year they’re doing a winter reading challenge for adults. I’m putting accomplishing this at least once over on my longer term goal list. The problem is, the books have to be taken out through their library system to count, so bought books, books students tell me I should read and loan me, and books taken out through my school’s library won’t count.

• Like 4

Update Log: Wednesday #2
1. Diet: on track. I made a big crock pot of chicken korma and it worked out well (except that Bee wouldn’t eat more than a trial bite) +1

2. Sleep: bed by 10:15. Woke up naturally an hour before my alarm so I just stayed in bed and tried to fall back to sleep. +1

3. Exercise class: yep. Went last night. +1

4. Push-ups: did 25 on the lowest step over the course of the night. During commercial breaks I’d run over and do 4-5 push-ups while I relaxed with my husband before bed. +1

5. Mommy Adventures: already completed for the week. +0

Weird weather side note: When I woke up my phone’s weather app said it was 45 out and predicted to go up to 51. Tomorrow, the prediction was between 9 and 58 degrees. I feel like the weather app kind of phoned it in on that one... a nearly 50 degree spread isn’t really a prediction in my mind.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2018 at 5:07 PM, Hypotheticalfox said:

My husband’s a head and shoulders above me in fitness and strength, but I out rank him in cooking, hand embroidery, and birthing children (wow those strengths sounded like I’m from the 1700s), so everyone has their strengths I guess.

It kind of sounds like you're both from the 1700s, ngl. I was gonna try to bring it forward with "which of you is better at working household appliances?" but that really only gets you to the 20th century... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 hour ago, Hypotheticalfox said:

Weird weather side note: When I woke up my phone’s weather app said it was 45 out and predicted to go up to 51. Tomorrow, the prediction was between 9 and 58 degrees. I feel like the weather app kind of phoned it in on that one... a nearly 50 degree spread isn’t really a prediction in my mind.

I've been places where it was snowing in the morning and balmy and hot in the afternoon. You could tell when a student's first class of the day was by whether they were wearing a parka or summer shorts. So if the app is predicting it'll change that much, sure! But if it's just saying "you'll be somewhere in this range" then... no. 

• Like 1

Update Log: Thursday #2

1. Diet: On track. Still eating leftover chicken korma and defrosted spicy tuna cakes. Resisted in-laws with pizza again. +1

2. Sleep- Bed by 10:15 slept soundly until 4:30ish when Bee decided to wake herself up by pooping (to be fair, she’s unpotty trained and only two. I don’t think she’s trying to night poop). Never really settled back in. +1

3. Exercise class- went to suspension class last night. Got my butt kicked again in the best possible way. Then Mary ended class with jump roping which is actually really fun, though when she yelled out that it was time to switch to one leg, then to the other, I realized how much harder one legged jump roping is. +1

4. Push-ups- did somewhere between 25 and 30 on the bottom stair (I didn’t keep a good count). We also did some in class with our legs in the suspension rig, but I’m terrible at them and for at least half ended up just holding a plank. +1

5. Mommy Adventures- already accomplished, but I just got a text that the books I ordered are in at the library, so we’ll probably go again today (Friday) after work.

• Like 1

Update Log: Friday #2

Diet: on track +1

Sleep: Nope. Missed it by 2 mins so the husband and I could finish watching “It”. 10:32 doesn’t count as 10:30

Exercise class: None today +0

Push-ups: yes, 30 on the lowest stairs+1

Mommy Adventures: kind of. Because a big storm was coming, we went to the grocery store to get bonus groceries just in case. Not a “fun” adventure, but usually B doesn’t get to go grocery shopping with me (it’s my me time), so it was a treat for her. +1

• Like 1

Daily and weekly update: Saturday #2

1. Diet- on track. I made my meal plan for he week and am going to see if my brother in law wants to part with anymore of his venison so I don’t have to buy beef. +1

2. Sleep- in bed 10:30, slept soundly until 5:50 (when my alarm usually wakes me up, but of course on Saturday I can’t blame my alarm) +1

3. Exercise class- I missed Saturday class because a foot of heavy snow fell overnight and I had to help shovel out the driveway (and corral Bee), but I went to the ymca later and ran 30 mins and biked for 15. Last summer I had gotten my running down to 9:50/mile on my best days, but like 10:30 on any regular day. Yesterday I was more like 11:00-11:30/mile, so quite a bit of regression, but not as bad as I could be. Once it gets warmer (its -9 right now) I’ll probably start actually running again. +1

4. Push-ups- 30 on the bottom step (I counted this time). +1

5. Mommy Adventures- Technically, yes I think. We left the house but not the property. It was essentially warm enough to play outside (25 degrees) so we bundled up as a family and made snow angels, played in the snow, and pulled her around the yard in the sled until it was too cold to stay out longer. +1

Weekly totals:
1. Diet- 7/7
2. Sleep- 6/7
3. Exercise class- 3/3
4. Push-ups- 7/7
5. Mommy Adventures- 1/1 +2 bonus

Weekly total- 26/25

• Like 2

Daily update: Sunday #3

1. Diet: On track. We stayed over at my in laws house over the long weekend to be closer to the city. After Bee went to bed, they kept an eye on her while we went on a coffee/tea date. Even though they ordered pizza and wings for dinner (it’s pretty much always pizza and wings anytime people get together in Buffalo. Is it like that everywhere else?), my mother in law had roast potatoes and veggies with chicken sausage for me because she’s a boss (and she knows how hard it is to be part of that family and try to keep on a diet plan of any kind). I also got my meal planning and grocery shopping done, and mooched about 3 lbs of ground venison off my brother in law (also a few deer steaks and some jerky... he lives alone and only eats it in chili so he’s got plenty to share.). +1

2. Sleep: Nope. 10:47 is not 10:30. I didn’t think this goal would be the one to give me the most trouble, but it is. I was dumb and started one more game of Player Unknown’s Battleground and did better than I thought I would and couldn’t stand the idea of quitting and going to bed when I was in the final 10-20, so I stayed up. Dumb. +0

3. Exercise class- None today. Planning on Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday again. +0

4. Push-ups: Moved to the floor because my in-laws house doesn’t have stairs. I did 10 of them over the course of the evening, but not really more than 1-3 in a row before a break. Still, it’s progress. +1

5. Mommy Adventures- Nope. We specifically did not take Bee on any adventures so she could play with the grandparents (going there doesn’t count because we go there every Sunday). +0

So not the most impressive day, but not too bad (other than sleep. That’s squarely on me and my poor choices.)

• Like 1

Daily update: Monday #3
1. Diet: On track. I made a big beef, broccoli, and mushroom Stir-Fry for dinner with coconut aminos instead of soy sauce and it was soooo good. I might just have to start marinating all my beef with the recipe’s marinade. Even Bee ate it heartily and admitted the meat was good, which is huge because she’s going through a “no” phase where everything is a no. I packed the leftovers for our lunches for Tuesday. +1b44fb2b8e40344abcbb89c883fa2df14.jpg

2. Sleep- finally back on track. +1

3. Exercise class- not today. +0

4. Push-ups- I did 11 floor push-ups, but the most I can do in a row is 3. +1

5. Mommy Adventures- None, but if my department meeting after school is quick, perhaps we’ll go swimming or to the library tonight. +0

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 11:02 AM, Hypotheticalfox said:

This year they’re doing a winter reading challenge for adults. I’m putting accomplishing this at least once over on my longer term goal list. The problem is, the books have to be taken out through their library system to count, so bought books, books students tell me I should read and loan me, and books taken out through my school’s library won’t count.

!! I tried so hard to get stuff like this going when I worked at the public library. This kind of thing worked best for participation with adults, surprisingly. If the library doesn't have a book you're interested in, would it count for the challenge if you asked them to borrow it for you from another library through interlibrary loan?

Also, your food pictures look super nummy!

!! I tried so hard to get stuff like this going when I worked at the public library. This kind of thing worked best for participation with adults, surprisingly. If the library doesn't have a book you're interested in, would it count for the challenge if you asked them to borrow it for you from another library through interlibrary loan?

Also, your food pictures look super nummy!

My library system is fantastic about participation programs. Because we’re out in the country, the system is 4-5 counties all mashed together into one system, but they do tons of adult programs like Tuesday writers group, board game nights, reading challenges, etc, and a rediculous amount of kids programs from baby to teen too. I moved out here from Buffalo a few years shoe, and for such a rural area the libraries rock. And of course they absolutely will order any book I want through inter library loan. The issue has been I’ve just been getting my books mostly through other people or from my school library. Now I have to make a point of getting my books at the town library, not just my daughter’s books.

cd087c861e135e7ea673e3e511f0d324.jpg

I keep a book suggestions list in the back of my classroom so kids can tell me what they think I should read based around what they’ve liked. During my free time at school (when I’m not grading or planning... or when I’m avoiding grading and planning) I read their suggestions. A lot of times, they’re so excited they just bring me their copy of the book. Obviously, I end up reading a lot of middle reader books and YA stuff, but a lot of it is surprisingly interesting/engrossing/ well written. Some of it’s a slog, but at least it’s a quick slog. Haha.

And thanks about the food pics. I started a small, Amateurish food/lunch blog at the beginning of the school year to post about the dairy and soy free lunches I send with my daughter (she has FPIES and has strict dietary restrictions). I’m pretty sure only like 6 people read it, but it encourages me not to fall into a lunch rut, to think more actively/excitedly about what I’m making, and to balance food groups.

Http://thelunchiebox.wordpress.com

• Like 2

Daily update: Tuesday #3

1. Diet: On track. I made a whole bunch of venison mushroom burgers for dinner and packed one into my lunch for tomorrow (Wednesday) because it was so good. I made them over the summer on the grill, and tried the broiler this time (way too cold to grill!) and it wasn’t the same but it was still really good. Because I’m off grains for now, I used a lettuce leaf and filled it with homemade mayo, sliced tomatoes, sliced red onions, and guacamole. +1
9e607caf402d285768801d38d48ce0dc.jpg

2. Sleep: 10:15, so back on track. The husband and I were going to rent a movie last night after Bee went to bed, but apparently movies that we were interested in don’t come in the under 2 hour variety. Instead we watched Impractical Jokers for a while and relaxed. +1

3. Exercise class: None today +0

4. Push-ups: I did 12 floor push-ups with my maximum in a row being 4. Yay! +1

5. Mommy Adventures- Gah, no. Probably Friday or Saturday. +0

• Like 2

Gracious! I had to look up FPIES. I'm glad she's otherwise healthy! And I like your suggestion list. I would totally do that if I worked with kids. They get so excited about sharing their favorites, don't they? :) 

Update log: Wednesday #3

1. Diet: yep, still on track. Finishing up a while bunch of leftovers makes that easier. +1

2. Sleep- 10:15, but not as restful as I would’ve liked. I woke up a few times at night then woke up early. +1

3. Exercise class- yes +1

4. Push-ups- 13 on the ground. Mostly in groups of 3-4, but one set was 5 (though the last one was pretty shaky) +1

5. Mommy Adventure- not today. I’m thinking tomorrow after work. +0

Great work so far. 

Thanks! My goals are pretty basic so I’m trying pretty hard to meet them each day.i think I’ve only done one challenge successfully before, so I’d like to raise that number.

• Like 1

Daily Update: Thursday #3

1. Diet- still on track. Made chicken salad with guacamole in a lettuce wrap for dinner and used the leftovers for lunch in half a bell pepper for Friday. +1
c2405ead30ea3705d0c2ea475e4d9d6c.jpg

2. Sleep- last night my sleep sucked, but I was in bed early, by 9:55. We were just exhausted for some reason, so the husband and I turned in early. I think Bee might be getting sick though because she was up three or four times in the night which is unusual. +1

3. Exercise class- yep. I went to suspension class last night. Mary (the instructor) had us try these new things called scorpion push-ups on the suspension rigs. She only had us try to do like 2-4, and even that was the WORST (which means I need to do a thousand more until I can do them well enough that they aren’t the worst. Mine went so agonizingly slow and I’m pretty sure I did the first two and just planked for the second two, so on a plus note, I have lots of room for progress. For reference the first part of this YouTube video is a scorpion push-up (it’s not me or anyone I know in the video)+1

4. Push-ups- Later on I did 14 real ground push-ups with two sets of 5 and a set of 4. Five in a row is still really tough, but I’m making progress. +1

5. Mommy Adventures- Nope. Friday we’re either going swimming or to the library. I already told Bee and she doesn’t forget anything, so unless I want to feel her two year old wrath/disappointment, we’re doing something on Friday. +0

• Like 1

Daily update: Friday #3

1. Diet: on track. +1

2. Sleep: went to bed at 10:15, but I was right, Bee is getting sick. She has a low grade fever, runny nose, and those watery “I’m sick” eyes. She also was up and down all night because she couldn’t comfortably stay asleep, so the husband and I took turns rocking and holding her when she’d wake up to soothe her back to sleep. So yes I went to bed on time; no, it was not the most restful of nights. +1

3. exercise class- no Friday class +0

4. Push-ups- I’m pretty proud. I did 18 floor push-ups with my best set being 7 in a row. +1

5. Mommy Adventures- After picking Bee up from the sitter’s house after work, we got changed and went swimming at the YMCA. Looking back, it probably wasn’t the best thing to do, but she didn’t seem like she had more than a running nose and minor cough at that point. Still, we swam and had a good time. +1

Side note: I started reading The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo, and so far it has made me realize:
- we have too much shit. It’s not that it needs to be better organized, we just have too much stuff.
-I wish I knew if we were definitely going to have a second baby in the future, because if not (or if it’s a boy for that matter) we are saving and storing a lot of unnecessary crap.
-I’m bad at getting rid of things, especially things that other people have given me because I’m worried about hurting their feelings if they find out it’s gone (which seems kind of silly now that I say it, but I know it’s a real thing I think).
- I wish I had the passion, dedication, and commitment to almost anything that Marie Kondo has to tidying. Seriously, she is seriously in it.

• Like 1

Daily Update: Saturday #3

1. Diet- on track. I even started my Saturday with a big plate of eggs, shaved steak, and veggies. +1

e87bec4be44945e090a2634acdfad40e.jpg

2. Sleep- 10:15, but Bee was up and down all night because she’s mildly sick.+1

3. Exercise class- went and it was great.+1

4.Pushups- 16 with a max set of 7! +1

5. Mommy Adventures- already accomplished for the week +0

Edit:

Forgot to add on my weekly total:

26/28 points

Not too bad. Two days where I didn’t get to bed by 10:30, but was pretty darn close, but for everything else, I’ve been hitting my goals.

Daily update: Sunday #4

1. Diet- I fell off track just a little, but I still can’t give myself a point. When I was helping clean up Sunday breakfast at my in laws, Bee left a strawberry on her plate and I popped it in my mouth not realizing that it was soaked in syrup from her pancakes until I had eaten it. Then, because I already broke a rule for the diet day (no added sugar), I popped a half piece of bacon in too because that’s how my mind work. It’s the welp, f*** it mentality. I know the bacon had added sugar. That was it though. One slip up unintentionally, and one intentionally. +0

2. Sleep: in bed by 10:15, with only one Bee wake up around 5:30, and even then she fell back to sleep. It turns out, she wasn’t really sick this weekend, she’s just been getting her two year molars which was causing the symptoms. Finding that out made me feel better about taking her swimming on Friday. +1

3.exercise class- None on Sundays +0

4. Push-ups- I feel like standing on top of a house and yelling “I am a golden god (at pushups)” Almost Famous-style. I did 3 sets of 8 push-ups each, which I realize may not sound that impressive, but considering at the beginning of the challenge I was having trouble with elevated push-ups on my stairs, it’s a bigish deal.

5. Mommy Adventure- None today. +0

• Like 1

Oh man, I am completely like that too when I eat something off diet or plan. Much easier for my brain to be like "Well, you already messed up today by eating that one thing. Might as well grab those candies now"

As far as push ups, holy smokes, you are the golden god at them ;) At least compared to me haha

Great job