Leimanu Explores

Leimanu

Accomplishments I made in the last 4-6 months, despite being totally overwhelmed.  It was a lot of managing other people's expectations.

• Bought my first house!  (House hunting, paperwork, comparison shopping, quotes, arranging for work to be done while working F/T)
  • Moved in my (elderly) father, which involves a lot of managing expectations
  • Completed a graduate course in social marketing
  • Worked with a difficult manager and moved into an inappropriate office space for meeting with patients (I'm kinda like a social worker in a health care setting but without the social worker education or training)
  • Made it through Open Enrollment 5 (Affordable Care Act) with a shorter time frame, less staff, and stressed out patients

Going through this, I learned that I'm super-awesome but that my life is out of balance and not very fun.  This girl's going to bring balance back to the Force by allowing herself to CREATE, SEEK, & EXPLORE.

Fire

Follow Real Appeal's weekly goals

- track meals 4d/wk

- eat a balanced dinner 4d this week

- cut off snacking by 7pm

Earth

5min: of yoga after exercising, meditate, journal

Metal

Complete one on-line course in a Microsoft Office application

Water 

Read 1 book

Wood

Research and follow 3 social media personalities who have been to NASA launches

Reward: buy new exercise clothes

cropped-Whalewatch_header1.jpg

image.png

• Like 4

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

4 hours ago, Leimanu said:

(House hunting, paperwork, comparison shopping, quotes, arranging for work to be done while working F/T)

We just bought our first house, too! I'm surprised the word "escrow" didn't pop up in there. Our realtor had the most convoluted explanation for what it was I've ever heard. I was like "I guess I'll die before I understand it." Then my mom was like "the property taxes get divided up every month into your mortgage." Oh. I guess I do understand it. 

giphy.gif

I like this elemental approach! Do you know which book you'll choose? 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Super Starling! said:

We just bought our first house, too! I'm surprised the word "escrow" didn't pop up in there. Our realtor had the most convoluted explanation for what it was I've ever heard. I was like "I guess I'll die before I understand it." Then my mom was like "the property taxes get divided up every month into your mortgage." Oh. I guess I do understand it. 

I like this elemental approach! Do you know which book you'll choose? 

LOLOLOLOLOL, the adventures of a first-time home-buyer, where none of the new vocab words sound like what they are.  I had gone to a couple first-time home buyer classes and so had a good idea of the first parts, but they always concentrated SO MUCH on improving your credit score that they ran out of time before they got to Escrow.  I was at such a loss when it got to the home insurance part, but fortunately I chose an amazing team.  They were literally put on this earth for first time home buyers.  Btw, I love escrow.  It's so me.

I'm going to cheat for my first book since I've read most of it but haven't picked it up since...when was the eclipse?  August?  It's a mix of nonfiction and travel called Backroads of Paradise.  The author tried to follow a travelogue and old road maps of Florida from the 1930s.  The 1930s book was a WPA project to support authors.  When I heard of this book, I was like, Dammit, someone beat me to it, lol!

• Like 2

First day of official challenge, first week complete for me.

On 12/26/2017 at 4:26 PM, Leimanu said:

Fire

- track meals 4d/wk

Earth

Fire:

tracked 3d/week.  Easiest on days I work.

Only ate 2 balanced dinners

Only cut off eating by 7pm once.  

--> Found a few reasons I create excuses and some things to mitigate them.

Earth:

--> I'm really enjoying this new routine.  I worked out 5x in the last week and easily added 15 min to the workout.  Even meditated 10 min once.  

Unpacking takes a surprising amount of time!  Here was my project for today: finally unpack the box that was sitting in this corner and make this jewelry organizer thing out of printer drawers and S-hooks.  Closet curtain is just fabric bolts.  I preferred this over the kinda-busted doors.

Image may contain: indoor

• Like 3

Awesome looking challenge. Following along. 

• Like 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Fire

- track meals 4d/wk

I like Real Appeal, but it's weird that they want me to aim for 1550 calories/day.  That seems so low.  BMR calculators put my "don't move all day, need to live" calories above that.  This week's topic was mindful eating, so if I'm feeling hungry after my balanced supper and 7pm, I'm snacking on cottage cheese and not counting it against the goals.  I mentioned this to  my coworkers and they're like, 1550 is high, you should aim for 1200.  One coworker is aiming for 1000.  Um, no.

Earth

Loving this!  A surprising amount of honest truth comes out in 5 min.

Man, FitnessBlender, I love your workouts, but what exercises do you include to give me such butt-DOMS?

Metal

Water 

Read 1 book

Wood

I had some time and energy tonight to get started, but felt like I really had to catch up to finances and prep for a meeting with my money coach tomorrow, so got that going and made a To-Do list.  Adulting ftw.  With the new mortgage, expenses are more than income.  I'm proud of what I've done with a rather small income (some people are really honest when I tell them my yearly income, lol!), but my priorities are shifting and I need to figure this out.  Honest truth from meditation, ftw.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Leimanu said:

I like Real Appeal, but it's weird that they want me to aim for 1550 calories/day.  That seems so low.  BMR calculators put my "don't move all day, need to live" calories above that.  This week's topic was mindful eating, so if I'm feeling hungry after my balanced supper and 7pm, I'm snacking on cottage cheese and not counting it against the goals.  I mentioned this to  my coworkers and they're like, 1550 is high, you should aim for 1200.  One coworker is aiming for 1000.  Um, no.

This is entirely my own speculation but I think the answer to the question is in this statement. A lot of people seem to think that you are required to eat next to nothing and because 1200 is reportedly the lowest you should go some people think that should be the target. So, if you were running a dieting site it could be argued that it would make sound business sense to err on the lower side. I agree with you though 1550 seems low to me. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

12 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

This is entirely my own speculation but I think the answer to the question is in this statement. A lot of people seem to think that you are required to eat next to nothing and because 1200 is reportedly the lowest you should go some people think that should be the target. So, if you were running a dieting site it could be argued that it would make sound business sense to err on the lower side. I agree with you though 1550 seems low to me. 

I don't think anyone can tell someone else what the "target" should be w/o having a deep understanding of their genetics, life situation, goals, speed at which they want to lose, etc.  Personally, I've never bothered counting.  Cut out the crap and reduce food until you start losing at the rate you want.  But for some, having a target is important.  Just don't worry about what others say your target should be.  Maybe reduce some, and if that doesn't cause wt loss, reduce some more.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

12 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

18 minutes ago, peelout said:

I don't think anyone can tell someone else what the "target" should be w/o having a deep understanding of their genetics, life situation, goals, speed at which they want to lose, etc.  Personally, I've never bothered counting.  Cut out the crap and reduce food until you start losing at the rate you want.  But for some, having a target is important.  Just don't worry about what others say your target should be.  Maybe reduce some, and if that doesn't cause wt loss, reduce some more.  

I'm not going to kill myself trying to keep at that.  My emphasis this time around is to be more mindful.  I took there little quiz about emotional eating, and like a good nerd, I got top marks.  So cutting out the crap and learning the hunger signals are top priorities.

Thanks, y'all!

Fire

- track meals 4d/wk

Earth

Completed everything - three days in a row!

Just finished the money coach appointment.  Expenses > Income.  She gave me the side hustle talk again.  That's enough adulting for tonight.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2018 at 8:41 PM, Leimanu said:

Earth:

--> I'm really enjoying this new routine.  I worked out 5x in the last week and easily added 15 min to the workout.  Even meditated 10 min once.  

Curious as to what type of workouts you are doing.  Great job adding 15min.

On 1/3/2018 at 8:35 PM, Leimanu said:

Metal

What type of MS course are you going to take?

Current Challenge 

On 1/6/2018 at 7:11 PM, peelout said:

Curious as to what type of workouts you are doing.  Great job adding 15min.

What type of MS course are you going to take?

He Peelout.  I feel like I haven't seen you in forever!

I'm following a Fitness Blender e-book.  Two months of 30min exercise program with a nice mix.  I just have to follow what Kelly & Daniel do.

I'm going to start with Excel.  We depend on each other, and we fight like crazy.  I'm going to try Lynda.com.

Fire

- track meals 4d/wk

Hitting the goal pretty well at 4x/week for these, but fell off the wagon the last couple days.  Fatty, junky food felt so warm and cozy in my belly.  But look at this beautiful food; why don't I go with that?

Image result for fruit 

Earth

Meditation is having an interesting affect - despite the talk of being calmer, it's actually making annoyances more clear.  I'm very aware of what ANNOYS ME NOW.  Or maybe, I'm vibrating at a higher level (whatever that means)

1-signs-you-may-be-experencing-a-vibrational-shift-as-13014775.png

Metal

It's all excuses - Mom's visiting, needing to exercise and relax after work....

Water 

Read 1 book

I started reading Harry Potter!  For some reason, I'm revisiting things I was obsessed with as a teenager.

Wood

Not yet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Leimanu said:
46 minutes ago, Leimanu said:

I'm following a Fitness Blender e-book.  Two months of 30min exercise program with a nice mix.  I just have to follow what Kelly & Daniel do.

Looking forward to hearing more about your workouts and progress.

47 minutes ago, Leimanu said:

I'm going to start with Excel.  We depend on each other, and we fight like crazy.  I'm going to try Lynda.com.

I'm learning a new program as well (SolidWorks).  My only access to it is at work so I do a training module for about 30min each work day by going in early.  I also go in for an hour Sat and Sun.  They think I'm really gung-ho working all the extra time.  Little do they know the reason I'm developing this skill is to increase my skill level and then look for other work.

21 minutes ago, Leimanu said:

Meditation is having an interesting affect - despite the talk of being calmer, it's actually making annoyances more clear.  I'm very aware of what ANNOYS ME NOW.  Or maybe, I'm vibrating at a higher level (whatever that means)

I have more of a boring flow chart personality.  There is no vibrating in my life. lol

Current Challenge 

How has the challenge been going?

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Challenge wrap-up

Fire

- track meals 4d/wk - 10/35 days

- eat a balanced dinner 4d this week - 9/35 days

- cut off snacking by 7pm - 7/35 days

Earth

5min: of yoga after exercising, meditate, journal. 20/35 days  Love this new habit.

Metal

Complete one on-line course in a Microsoft Office application.  Nope

Water 

Read 1 book.  No :(

Wood

Research and follow 3 social media personalities who have been to NASA launches.  Researched and found 3, haven't followed yet

Reward: buy new exercise    I feel too overwhelmed by buying stuff for the house to allow new sneakers and cute clothes

• Like 2