• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

UnquietBones

UnquietBones is off to a good start!

Moving Mountains with Teaspoons HeraldryThe year is dead, long live the year! Or at least it will be in a few days and I'm not really willing to wait... so yeah. *dusts off the bad mojo of 2017* Onwards...

I am attempting to learn from my review of past challenges and setting some nice small non-impossible goals for the inaugural event. Hopefully this will build momentum and get me on the path to scoring bigger wins this year. I have several large goals that I'm working towards and I had been tempted to label them as '2018 Goals', but there are some possible seismic changes on the horizon, so I've decided to not.

*nots*

Thus my goal for this awesome first challenge is: Be Mindful That I'm In A Challenge!

I am not at all good at remembering to log into the forums and log my progress, or chat, or participate in the minis, or do any of the things that are statistically proven to help me achieve my goals. So. Yes. MINDFULNESS I CAN HAZ.

A bit of that will also be remembering that I'm supposed to be following the AIBRANs (Am I Being Assassin-y Right Now?), but that's not the main goal. The main goal is tracking. And Forums. And such. So hopefully I will see y'all around a lot more this year and actually comment on things instead of just steath-liking and joing minis that I fail to fully participate in. ;):lol:

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Love the spoons/ mountain badge. Are you tracking.... food? AIBARNs? Spoons? Dog romps? :) Regardless of the answer, following. 

I am tracking ALL THE THINGS! :D:lol: Because I can't stop overcommitting... but I'm not holding myself to a fail/win standard based on the actual checkmarks, just the tracking itself. :)  A lot of the challenges from last year fell off because I felt so bad about how I was doing. I get too lost in the fail side of things that I lose track of the wins. So this challenge is all about being mindful and the next challenge will be all about celebrating my wins! :)

I'm starting a bit slow this year, but I'm trying a different direction than last year. I think I'm never going to get over my 'must try a thousand things at once', so I'm just going to let it be a bit mercurial as to what I'm doing (beyond AIBARNs). There are a lot of small steps I can make each day that will get me to where I want to be... for now I'm going to take them randomly. :)

But... my bullet journal currently tracks: sickness/allergy symptoms, which allergy medication I'm testing, what art I get done, new recipes to test and how they turn out, what writing I get done, my blog posting and content strategy, how much progress I've made on the book beta review, how many of the Saturday Story prompts I have left to write for 2018, how many SSPs I still need to make Pinterest icons for from 2017 and back, bedtimes and how I feel in the morning, any bodyweight exercises I do during the day, if I did meal tracking or not (am using MyFitnessPal), where I'm at on my custom SSP ebook orders, my Etsy listing strategy, plans for learning new coding languages... and a bunch of other things. :lol:

I'm cheating and not counting the 'zero days' this time... I'm just getting back in the habit of visiting the forums and actually chatting with folks! ;)

4 hours ago, Red1263 said:

Being mindful that you're in a challenge, That sounds like a great goal!

I'm such a distracted person! I figure I'll start with a good foundation this year and then work up from that instead of trying to get all the habits in place at once. :lol:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

But... my bullet journal currently tracks: sickness/allergy symptoms, which allergy medication I'm testing, what art I get done, new recipes to test and how they turn out, what writing I get done, my blog posting and content strategy, how much progress I've made on the book beta review, how many of the Saturday Story prompts I have left to write for 2018, how many SSPs I still need to make Pinterest icons for from 2017 and back, bedtimes and how I feel in the morning, any bodyweight exercises I do during the day, if I did meal tracking or not (am using MyFitnessPal), where I'm at on my custom SSP ebook orders, my Etsy listing strategy, plans for learning new coding languages... and a bunch of other things. :lol:

Wow. My brain is reeling just from reading all that. :) If you wish to add me on MFP, I have the same username there. How goes the allergy med tryout?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

Wow. My brain is reeling just from reading all that. :) If you wish to add me on MFP, I have the same username there. How goes the allergy med tryout?

Done! And so far Blue (loratadine/Claritin) seems to be having zero effect. I stopped taking them during the worst parts of the cold, but now... eh? I've got another four days to take (I think), but they really don't seem to be doing much. I'm also going to be trying some food allergy research, so I may end up just not taking anything at all. *wistful sigh*

But I want to cook more and try out new foods and test for allergies and learn to cook better and try paleo and.. and... and... :lol: Did I mention my 2018 is CRAM PACK FULL OF THINGS? Because, lo. It is so. *solemn nod*

• Like 2

My bronchitis decided to bronciti harder today, so I finally gave in and went to the urgent care. I am now the proud owner of some antibiotics and cough suppressant so yay? I'm still trying to suss out just how I want to try and tackle ALL THE THINGS for 2018... I had dinner with mom and my cousin yesterday and we're all crafty procrastinators, so I am starting a weekly email to try and keep us all on track. I figure it can never hurt to have another cheering squad! :D

Also trying to get up and see mom once a month this year, she's only 3-4 hours a way so it's an easy weekend trip... I just don't go. (I hate bugging people and she hates bugging people so we rarely get together for fear of bugging each other. At least I come by my silly brain honestly! ;):lol:)

Bullet Journaling is a black hole of craftiness... I joined the same bujo Facebook group a friend is in and they are all posting these art heavy spreads. I feel so undercolored! And Michael's is throwing coupons at me to come in and buy washi tape and stickers and whatnot. I am not sure I have the willpower to properly resist this new hobby. *attempts to stick only to existing art supplies*

My new health insurance kicks in on Jan 1st, so I'm going to start abusing the heck out of all the 'do this for free' things. I haven't been in for a checkup in over a decade and I really should probably check with a doc before I try running or anything crazy this spring. *sighs* But I figure walking and eating better can't cause issues... right? If money is okay I think I may try and get to the NerdFitness summer camp in 2019... it looks like so much fun! :D:D

I have too many things I want to do again. I was making a list in the bujo just to see and there is no way I can cram it all into 2018. I'm not sure if that's going to stop me from trying... *sighs* I need to remember what I learned this year and NOT try to do all the things! :P

Reading all the other posts in the forums is really getting my 'I wanna do that too!' gremlins going thou...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

But I figure walking and eating better can't cause issues... right?

That was my thought as well, which led to my step goal instead of running sessions (also winter brrrrrrr)

Sorry to hear about bronchitis and having to slow down before you got started yet, but maybe it's just the pulling back to fly stronger after :) Also gives you extra time for clarity. I'm always in awe of people tracking so much, never even managed calories for long... how do you do it? And when???

If money is okay I think I may try and get to the NerdFitness summer camp in 2019... it looks like so much fun! :D:D

Woweeeeeee, must be so cool. Go DO EEEEEEEEET

Reading all the other posts in the forums is really getting my 'I wanna do that too!' gremlins going thou...

Same here... but we are strong and can do the NOT DO ALL THE THINGS

*notting with you*

find small steps that are fun and it will build naturally from there. First get well now :cheerful:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Same here... but we are strong and can do the NOT DO ALL THE THINGS

*notting with you*

Love this, stealing it. 

Sorry to hear about the bronchitis, but yay for meds. Get you some healthy going and resist the lure of the spendy side. 

• Like 1

1c4-ksv-kmOVcBb5NIE66uXPQmh0KtWzghL7kBQzkWxRK6MbG7npuR95O5Q5vH20OihXsW8n5ZZe5qQOZ9qisuRaEAdefHJs0siBMEcm4fYkEiYAM-CNuX__s3qSpLQ7UkfOF_s1KX1u1OfJWoKiB57VPlnFn-u4TBoLNvtbcWTQtGlGSf9ou3xQyRWyh6hT9PSStqXWFS6wRb98Z6AlnZ2CdQYdTQpGELgJNo3ovydyrcfQiLMwDvUAdMzEoR11-BdazTrusuusu9IWnBJIqFNzIj23w5Lvr6-mvx57I98F3IG0nNlh7eG2fNCVTGuLWOOI_UzICZ0bqW2FE2WK_2EWxgn2ptN_Gz3r-wKh8XaBdOliEqOsMzDEsP7piulEfIKgYvi9P6rEHJoaE2FFMkm0qTLjwY5Hor8Au6gkJftLtQ5cL530C40hj9Nez-BGgQiYF0JVF7pwRamUMHGN3HsCgSDSJ04fP3Nug3UmV6Q6OgFc8UyfmePub2H_a0a3xErOMO_jN2qKCmTkW8ZLJoOdEYhKUOivfg3yxv0Inf3_8lb_ATZJKJCTNThjQTbKvzp1dgjHasRrEqcLD8d4HVm2bG5M8_YxNDQuLF3VC2P8L0-VfsVi5jb9YU0UOqFs5bwouJzKQrVoDNKgKTWNlNXzu_SG6hDZhQ=w1332-h854-noDid I take yesterday off as a day of relaxation, reflection, and finishing my binge of My Hero Academia! (I'm a few episodes in and can't decide if I want to keep going with The Devil is a Part-Timer!, so I may swap to something else next time I'm sick and need to tunnel vision on something.)

As much as the pets love the extra cuddle time that bed binges offer (the cat even gave in an let the big dog finally snuggle him!!), today needs to be slightly more productive. *rolls up sleeves* ... *notices it's 18 degrees out* ... *rolls down sleeves and cries*

Achem, yes... ONWARDS! :D

• Like 4

Hah, so my whole 'be social on the forums' thing over the snow days and weekend was a no go... but I got so much done! :D So lots of stories in a bit about all the things I did get done in a bit.

For now: Dear self, I have not failed the challenge because I failed a few days. There are still more days. So no throwing in the towel!

• Like 2

bIM5MP_94NPBxS7mwIqVDNMVf9JXglf4VNVclVryweG8Bamg5vBFC3sYvR3KGE0uZ5coUU4UUVlP81rTqBckc6iQzxYaiTl4UvAftktw_hHbU-EP8LJu3SxeDxU9L9LyvQpeBCu-DChO8nxmbOyrcAtA_si6yAEC32JKKZYFM3eCls5Cc-lLUwrw2SYAVXGej8qSN4Xgn0ph6dJfbUyyZdXP94gxVitalPOtTABOKsleYb9mukq-anr6D8kzeueOxRwVsc4PpDaAca2U_DA_8I3lyhGiOvjCrwoXLeO-Egcm8EyiIJJBB2AxLsBhiIwaB0sqw03OzMcVvhm7yfOcVQ35m5_VSHZLKNZqH-KyFUbV-5ktosmXyO7N981ci_Z5g-DcxJQN7rDdsERoaltoKJpwBQeLJmZQa10iXEB90CMPIfiWtGBy-LLBNrT5EjsqIeyb5fEDcdUo2ZaEhOAQadGdyBJ-E3Hmh54s3ZmmJX8oXuQqfrB62jLZv4fiKBITaFrme4fRN2N6YtPqbMb1p4BDjSNb_-GZ6lBjVLm0NxRfPeKxGWAX3jgEmMA50GvN4VrzlDvBzvwQ5tSCBUE7Wu05wrhr06CYuF-7q8y8XrVmeyM8yOQA6ObcDS-iaN8GRwdQ_x98se_EpSdfw2bJtBQTD9HCg0hehg=w1470-h828-noMuch mindfulness! Very Tracking! :D:D

Okay, so it totally doesn't look like I've been getting much done this challenge, because the forum posting end of things has been slipping... but so far January has actually been pretty productive! 

(No clue if this image will show up properly, but I hope so! I found a fun hack where you glue graph paper into a journal so you have instant checkboxes for weekly stuff... I think I made too many checkboxes this time. :lol:)

Food Logging/Diet Improvements

I've started up my food logging again-- although only haphazardly as of yet. I'm being good about getting breakfast and lunch into it during workdays, but not so much dinner or weekend food. I'm trying very hard not to expect perfection, this is more than I was doing before so this is a win goldarnit! I need to focus in on the fact that I am doing little things now that will be big things by the end of 2018. *puts on thinking cap*

I've successfully brought lunch every workday this year and have been a bit better about what I pick to eat when off work. The overabundance of christmas cookies still in the house means I have a ways to go... but the fact that I am actively shopping on the weekends for sandwich making supplies is making me all sorts of happy. Now if I can just keep resisting... :lol:

On the Diet Coke side of things, right now I'm just tracking when I drink something that isn't Diet Coke. This is going to be a long battle and I want to win it for good, so I'm focused on the positive steps. I know if I have something else that means the DC consumption goes down, so it's just looking at the win from the otherside. :) Not doing as well as I had hoped yet, but getting there!

I Got Ta Moveit Moveit!

...But the weather has been miserable and my joints hate the cold, so.... Not yet. But working on it! :)

Allergy Medication Experiments

I finished up the trial of Blue (loratadine/Claritin) and marked it off as 'not enough benefit to counterweight taking a medication' and moved onto Purple (fexofenadine hydrochloride/Allegra) which went about as well as I expected. The sniffles got a little better, but I had serious sleep issues after two days... so it's off the table until I can cut out the Diet Coke. In theory once my caffeine consumption is down, I should be able to try it again.

In victory of stopping it, my body provided a mini-migraine this morning. Woo? (Mini means that it goes away in about an hour after I take Red (acetaminophen, phenylephrine HCl, guaifenesin/Sudafed PE) and lots of Diet Coke.

Bullet Journaling/Tracking

I haven't been posting here much (boo!), but I am slowly working my way into a solid habit of bullet journaling. I've been playing around with a lot of layout ideas and different checklist and I think I'm finding my groove. I really like the fact that I can change things on the fly and there's lots of room for notes and planning... and doodling! I figure in another few months I'll have found something that works well for tracking ALL THE THINGS!

Getting Stuff Done (Dontchaknow)

I've been chipping away at my writing projects and getting things back into the Etsy store. I've gotten a lot of traction from the prompt pins I've been doing on Pinterest and finally got my first review on Amazon! :D (5 stars woooooooooooooo!) Now I just need to get the artwork started up again and nine thousand other small projects... :lol:  But movement on all fronts. Slow and steady ftw!

AIBARNs

I am not giving up. I am not surrendering! I am even starting to plan out things that I would like to do once the weather is a bit nicer. I am building up a picture of the sort of person I'd like to be in my head that is not impossible and not any sort of 180 from who I am now. Just me, a little better! I'm gonna be more like that person at the end of this challenge, and more like them at the end of every challenge after that... I don't have to be an awesome assassin of assassin-y-ness overnight, I just have to keep practicing until I can do all those cool headstands and jumps and climbing around things too! :D:D

• Like 2

On 1/8/2018 at 12:23 PM, WhiteBeltBrowncoat said:

I wish I could get my towels to look that neat when I fold them. They always end up lopsided and never uniform. Drives my wife a little bit batty.

I am pretty sure all those pretty towels are LIES AND MAGIC because mine never look like that either! :lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

I don't have to be an awesome assassin of assassin-y-ness overnight, I just have to keep practicing until I can do all those cool headstands and jumps and climbing around things too! :D:D

This. This is the perfect mentality! 

• Like 2

Nice progress. Agree with the slow and steady - I realized this week that the stretches I do after a weights workout are showing improvement (after 2 months) and they aren't something I was consciously working on, just doing them with every workout. Keep it up and you'll be surprised how much you get done.

• Like 1

HmY1iloWBIX1CCyS9DhpaKm6WsWNCRgVnMQGDd_sDV34x7vKFAKngtukDp9yaa2M-HWXjCDZ4E6Vc47YdWMf42G3VlYQyZgY7DFDY-B0db3M6ELf0n6W0rRcdbJPYRGNWFohNMK45Z21ZfN0E52hBPwSs1RoN-ssFAn4RS8AlgsYLlPHCBQIbKfZVqhichIQSU4F3PuLeOkTiLjl6fNOO0rP4HGPosm32t_1B1DiTq1wrX42_IglsPLXgF5XodFPFl0xKM6dnMFskhi58zWFSEZdAfryS9_DpuoAnVyositCJRGz7XUClFWO0R_F5VhaiQCliRvHvrzA_f7Xeuz-Y8Hw_nPGkZY5vN9NuNd13vcTG3NIMPRJ6oYS86QLkeDy9YXCLLpO5hu13CktSTFpuR6e5atv0iqUCFP-z1IOCy3cXNw8-Mmo6HRAhqxVEyRZ0Ls0u72siHjOw_XnpxsG5GOQ4yc5Ni6DP-4CPLjtLV5JOJOFCnVjPYCOqnfmAy6g7mnqGzZs5ctpPVxz004UvINe-CnDogcxP6uJax2jDFVguDhDudLneKp4zj8AKxd3qhMJTGDBr276wPycUEwF-A5arG8JHw0j0u9C0VbAhBQ7j1cgO-WdqsZpWX-TlDDzqmg2LULzv3ovIUaiQRtAuMH-zotogfm_Gw=w1685-h948-noIt was a productive weekend of productiveness! :D  I'm not sure if it's the bullet journaling or the mindfulness-focusing or what, but I feel a lot more in control of all the various 'too big to tackle' items. I've gotten really positive feedback from people whose projects are overdue and who have every right to be annoyed with me, and I think that's helped a lot. The bad things I was worried about aren't so bad after all! :lol:

Plus I got in another order for a base and removable fencing, so slowly but surely I'm going to creep my way into being a 'thing' for model horse people... mwahahaha! With the jig I built it takes like 5 min to throw together a fence (slightly longer to paint white ones) so I've almost got a production line ready for these little guys.

I've still got a way to go on my food and drink related goals, but I'm making okay progress. Last week I packed way too much for lunch (I have a habit of that) so this week I'm packing less than I think I need. *crosses fingers*

Bucket had his first Advanced Obedience class this weekend and did horribly. The other dogs were all also a bit stupid, but they did a lot better on the commands when it came time to actually work. So lots of practice this week! Which is good, since it means lots of walking around, so crossing fingers there too... Can't wait for the nice weather to come back! :(  *eyes snow in forecast for this week* Dammit Virginia...

• Like 1

Yesterday was a lost day-- I tried to do too much stuff and it backfired, so I ended up napping for the rest of the day after I got home from running errands and I got horrible sleep last night. But on a good note, I got the errands done and I'm purposely taking it easy today to try and regroup. I got too excited about getting ALL THE THINGS done over the weekend and tried to keep that high level of activity going... I will never learn! :lol: 

The nice thing about trying to do a daily retrospection/mindfulness is that I catch on a lot faster to my mistakes. It might not keep me from making them, but it's been a big help at not making them seem like reasons to quit trying. It also help to remind me that I've been making decent forward progress on a bunch of things, even if that progress is small. So failures in one aspect are offset by successes in others. I need to figure out how to weave that into my next challenge...

Now off to get some more small wins for today! :D:D

• Like 1

dJomkLZUw9UV7kYOx8Nlr2-SvJalHw8OOPH2hmwEDdxrd4Fav8Eu-zAdL1nuYeQpm7lvdvU5WmNK4XNJfYcbLO5-BtfYTY05qS6yxsB3u7bwHlEioGx63cUvqcUtdTn6AiZa6ba2XWIa-S3BRESSb8kpBrx4vXIvkCIm_5MJEtYGRTtfgoLPf-ACEJAJ580GiceHCnrvjc4ER2uBL8Y2s4XiiW19ChoVoiZyo9dfwkLpRDVEwEXsYtLT5T3gd-OXx37jOLVuoCOO6ck5Trywyw-AeRqnAUsbJF0dztBIZDa3KZvmY5O-MLbdGzgl_QsuBKPhk3RbWg6cvqBakbN-Iif6yIZDoQEVykHqQ3PiKXi1hx8qWhdqOO55vALkwPWW9gdaMU-Pgx4m6LexPACOwQYkA6-IcoZYQsgK9-4_C5jwQL8URdGac_a3IVogTvP-E7H3c_ap5-EvjEJPbgujh5F8QBJb1y7H5g_mxjyzk28ht97Sc-EQopW_O7eeWtZVZce0bxqmMnZOo858R9sSXUTWnFif8Ck7aAesDmukCogqHpqRIZSXxhJAZbH3qpfZPwkpL1WeMvK5JmZHPu1yfIsxYTqsS95UJnbUKOhMu0_p_IGVn8zfV_7HqIo8IM1DJbV7os1vUdTWMPxSANymmXWhfmfIEBXtkQ=w1203-h948-no9HnHsBQu0M3udIzdcqEihwcTlNYIWsXfenf0Oq9MzKOT4TZ8lT6DjApsvydakie3OQ1nwImWI5nOYN8kNpHIH2i46St14A-UfmiJq2UzCLdmPl4uVaZd1qOXd0GBdMHGU2isfF9OomzO0iwT1Go7H0JVAyDXs6uCz2DQ4ZW4SGghAYVLQJRqsMPIrqAi-HdyOotwcxrfV_lT7Zachsfmm9wvk--fAOdreLGzawelgmOjmiQKj-giiZ1Cze_5EIuccvK5z4g4wabw5MGxDgpWljATQhwMiKKLOfITc9dtB86ojrK2aUsqEhqfnV5FUFaG--aX7VEBGsLaHAZMQwKpSs-hXkxx8oPet85PJctnlz8hmTGz267ECSikn3s1MGFEC4KhODSDOpUI2U80n47iiQeWGaoA2-XulDEp0h35IsokKaULdMaKHmQFg-AibOsVMwcR4yXrzUmJwfdNjBCx0gSe1JaHV7tONZdDKRQDlXAnpaNLdRQzGWESNL_SUbjNVUTO33wCwJKv59LS0r2seVBGj3FJxULIZHf8RGJlvJpm0pu53U4CyRH_-ByQ9gLxjlHsBAG4zpaKEgpuUz45ZHxM7xkf92I3QNaVLKD6sF-iGh0vCKeYpJJ3jeTRCgcbKTrnKFMAyTVfbATC2i8mweKzUeuqxh-LDA=w1470-h904-noYesterday was full of some small wins. I got a custom base and removable fencing order done and ready for approval (I need to color balance the photos still) and I got a very very overdue custom model horse in the mail and off to her new home!

Plus I started hashing out the fencing template for the four rail fence (which I've been meaning to do forever) and am creating a template design/build process that should work well for future designs. (Woot!)

I also packed a lunch again today (and breakfast) even though today is a stressful event day at work. I was thiiiiiis close to saying 'screw it, one day won't hurt' and then I didn't. *nots successfully*

My joints are hating the cold with a passion this year and even though I've spent every winter saying 'next winter I'll be in shape and it will be better'... I'm going to say it again. Because 2018 is my year of small wins and darnit, I'm gonna keep going!

I am a looooong way from where I'd love to be at the end of the year, but I'm slowly getting things turned around so I'm headed in the right direction. As much as I'd love to buy into the quick fixes of bootcamps and biggest losers and diet transformations, I think I've got a better grasp on the idea that that won't happen. I got here slowly, I need to get out slowly. But darned if that isn't a little depressing. *sighs*

Anywho, I hope everyone is having a great hump day and for those of us in VA-- OMGSNOWWHY. *cries*

• Like 1

Grats on the small wins, and on becoming a fixture in the horse model community. We only got a few inches of snow up in MD, but I hear you on the distaste for snow. Stay safe, and keep up the great work. 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2018 at 5:17 AM, UnquietBones said:

I got here slowly, I need to get out slowly. But darned if that isn't a little depressing. *sighs*

I'm so with you on this!! 

• Like 1