Mike Wazowski: The Mac n Cheese Chronicles, Phase 1

Mike Wazowski

47 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

That sounds like it would be a very tricky balance to not ruffle any feathers. Trying to get your point across intelligently, but not talking over their heads, nor "talking down to them". Yeesh.

That is actually the single greatest challenge when you work in  tech support job. Not the tech part, that stuff is easy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

5 hours ago, MikeWazowski said:

Haha clearly I'm not alone in dumbing down communication at work and being frustrated by it - I understand why, but it's still annoying to need to learn a new language in a sense.

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

That is actually the single greatest challenge when you work in  tech support job. Not the tech part, that stuff is easy.

Ooh instead of jumping on the "yes, everyone that isn't me is dumb" bandwagon, can I do devil's advocate?

It's just applied empathy. We all know more than someone else about something at some point in our lives. Most everyone would benefit from mastering this skill at some point or another and trying not to be too smug or cynical about it. Showing off knowledge is not the same as clearly communicating. In that sense, unnecessarily complex or verbose language is "dumber" than clear, concise messaging. Don't think of it as dumbing down; think of it as trimming the fat. Get to the point, etc.

I say this as someone incredibly guilty of all the above, but trying to approach it on a more positive, if not pragmatic note. I'm not trying to rag on anyone that's frustrated by the need to do this for others. I get frustrated too. It's a tricky art, but it's completely valid feedback. I commiserate get it.

• Like 4

Stay awhile... we're liftin'

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

53 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

It's just applied empathy. We all know more than someone else about something at some point in our lives. Most everyone would benefit from mastering this skill at some point or another and trying not to be too smug or cynical about it. Showing off knowledge is not the same as clearly communicating. In that sense, unnecessarily complex or verbose language is "dumber" than clear, concise messaging. Don't think of it as dumbing down; think of it as trimming the fat. Get to the point, etc.

The phrase you're looking for is, "communicate with the customer on their level, not on yours". Once you have the empathy, the rest becomes a lot easier - if your goal truly is to make sure that you're being understood, the person you're talking to will get that, and react very differently than they do when it's obvious that you're trying to make them look stupid.

Spoiler

This is what I do for a living by the way, writing process documents is an unfortunate side-effect of my position with the company. My real job is to teach support agents how to solve problems and communicate with the their customers. :)

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

12 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Reveal hidden contents

It's more of a organic by-product of your primary responsibilities. I could learn from you.

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

6 hours ago, Grumble said:

It's more of a organic by-product of your primary responsibilities. I could learn from you.

Yes, but should you...? :devilish:

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Alright, time to close this sucker out after a weekend of YOLO dieting because vacation.

Wins this challenge:

• Got used to tracking and macros-based meal planning again
  • Been more productive and focused at work and I've been having more fun
  • Got back to workout consistency and made some gains in aerobic and lactic conditioning (and had fun adding handstands, basic tumbling, and rings into my workout)
  • Started doing mobility at the end of workouts and in the evenings to wind down
  • Made a tasty mac n cheese and got a bunch of cool recipes

Room for improvement still:

• Consistently didn't hit calorie targets on weekends - I need to get myself to a point of being compliant 6 or 7 days a week with a plan. I'm going to keep trying new strategies here in the coming weeks, I have confidence I can get this to work right
  • Need additional tweaking to my bedtime routine - reading fiction has not been working so well
  • Morning routine didn't get as fast as my target, so I wasn't getting to the gym as early as I'd like - will keep trying as the weather gets warmer and eating in the car becomes more palatable.

Also, the weekend was phenomenal! Good times with a good friend, lots of delicious food and craft beer, fun exploring a new city (Chattanooga), and I think I decided on what I want my first tattoo to be.

• Like 3

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

that is an AWESOME WRAP UP!! well done the first month of 2018! also when you figure out the trick to hitting calorie targets on the weekend, you be sure to share the secret ;)  i thiiiiiink a big part of it for me would be to limit my being out of the house time. which puts too much of a dent on my happiness meter for me to actually do that.

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

10 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

that is an AWESOME WRAP UP!! well done the first month of 2018! also when you figure out the trick to hitting calorie targets on the weekend, you be sure to share the secret ;)  i thiiiiiink a big part of it for me would be to limit my being out of the house time. which puts too much of a dent on my happiness meter for me to actually do that.

Haha yes! I think my workaround for that will be some sort of limiting calories more during the week so that I have more to burn on the weekend - TBD if that turns out to work, but I'll try.

• Like 1

Chattanoogaaaa choo choo. 

GIVE US THE TAT DEETS.

And yeah, idk about weekend calories. If eating less during the week doesn't make you eat EVEN MORE on the weekend, maybe it would be an okay option? Though honestly, it looked like you were seeing fine progress with good weeks + indulgent weekends anyway, so maybe you don't have to adjust much at all. :P

• Like 3

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

3 minutes ago, raptron said:

Chattanoogaaaa choo choo. 

We did indeed go to the old train station - they've turned it into a cool collection restaurants (and a giant coffee shop / bar that made me very sad my college roommate is not a coffee drinker cause I reaaaaaally wanted to go in and try it out).

GIVE US THE TAT DEETS.

Ok, so for background: when I was home with my parents for T-day, I noticed a trend. My parents can really hold onto resentment, and I was hearing stories of minor slights from years ago like the hurt was still fresh. In the months since, I've noticed a similar capacity in myself, and I don't want that, because resentment keeps me dwelling on the negative of the past rather than creating closure for myself and moving on. Instead, I want to answer slights with forgiveness, so I'm thinking a simple script "choose forgiveness" in a small font somewhere accessible as a constant reminder that I want to choose forgiveness over resentment. Currently thinking on my wrist, but not 100% sure I'm sold on the location.

And yeah, idk about weekend calories. If eating less during the week doesn't make you eat EVEN MORE on the weekend, maybe it would be an okay option? Though honestly, it looked like you were seeing fine progress with good weeks + indulgent weekends anyway, so maybe you don't have to adjust much at all. :P

Hah, I haven't posted about last week's backward progress. Which might've been a fluke or a result of massively spiked calories form the Avatar algorithm, TBH. Ya, I probably should just mostly stay the course with what I've been doing and let the algorithm level things out on its own.

• Like 3

what a great idea for a tattoo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current