Elinox’s Rebel Awakens

elinox

Image result for most iconic star wars image

It’s the beginning of a new year and I need to get back into my fitness and eating routine. Happy New Year!

Main Quest
To live a healthy and balanced life by exercising and trying to eat healthy.

My Motivation
I've successfully dropped weight by counting calories so my diet will mostly be staying the same with 1200 calories per day M-F and then blow meals on the weekends. Although I’m going to try to limit it to one day, rather than both Saturday and Sunday. 

I enjoy doing themed workouts and for this challenge it will be Star Wars in conjunction with the release of The Last Jedi (which I loved!). May the Force be with you!

Smaller Quests
1. "Do Or Do Not. There Is No Try." - Yoda

Walking
When I'm in Europe I’ll be walking everywhere, so I need time to get into proper walking shape. This challenge will be heavily focused on walking as many miles as possible. I usually do 2 miles at a stretch, several times a week on a treadmill. For this challenge, I’m upping that to adding in another walk early in the mornings before work. 

While space travel and transport on planets was likely done by some type of vehicle, there’s no doubt that training to be a Jedi involves a lot of physical activity, which includes walking. Rey herself walked a lot on both Jakku and in searching for Luke, in addition to her other Jedi training.

Scoring: x/50 miles in 5 weeks 
Reward: +3 to STA & +3 to DEX

2. "Help me DuoLingo (Obi-Wan Kenobi). You’re My Only Hope!" - Princess Leia 

French
I’m going to Europe soon so I need to get back to practicing French. Since I found it difficult, I know I need to practice every day.  I want to practice at least three DuoLingo sessions each day, once a day. 

I also find that I practice more regularly in conjunction with a challenge here. 

As a member of the Rebel Alliance, I would encounter many other species and cultures. Although despite something like either translator microbes or the babel fish being available, still being able to speak and understand another language would be useful in the Outer Rim Territories.

Scoring: /35
Reward: +3 to WIS

3. "Never Tell Me the Odds" - Han Solo

Editing

Edit ‘Bonita Blue’, my 2017 NaNoWriMo win, once a week by getting through 3-4 chapters at a time. The story currently has 18 chapters so this seems reasonable. 

Scoring: x/5 weeks 
Reward: +3 to CHA

4. "I'll Never Turn to the Dark Side!" - Luke Skywalker

Sweet Treats

I have a terrible sweet tooth, particularly where processed sugars are concerned. And since, over the holidays, there were tasty things everywhere, I need to focus on less sugar in my daily diet, especially as I move into the new year and getting back into more exercise and healthy eating again. It’s a good goal to have for the first challenge in 2018. Because of my blow meals on weekends, I’m going to try to only have sweet treats 2-3 times per week, Monday through Friday.

Eat healthier by cutting down on the sweet treats to 2-3 times in the 5 day week. 

Scoring: /15 days 
Reward: +3 to CON 

Star Wars The Last Jedi Wallpaper (Poster) by Spirit--Of-Adventure

• Like 1

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

Just now, theophilus said:

Awesome goals!

Thanks. We'll see if I can get anywhere near the 50 miles one! *fingers crossed*

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

12 hours ago, The Borg Queen said:

Beaux objectifs! Bonne chance!

Er...um. Oui, merci. ;)

Current Challenge: 

11 hours ago, Karma Krishok said:

How anyone did not like that movie is still impossible to understand for me! Good luck with the challenge!

Obsessive fans that are trying to re-create Episode IV? *shrug* Either way, I really enjoyed The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi for the strong and independent female warriors. :D

Also, I'm thinking about switching out my weight lifting small quest for one focused on editing my latest book instead. I still have a few days to decide, hmm... 

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

On 12/27/2017 at 12:33 PM, elinox said:

I enjoy doing themed workouts and for this challenge it will be Star Wars in conjunction with the release of The Last Jedi (which I loved!). May the Force be with you!

My wife and I just saw The Last Jedi this afternoon, which we greatly enjoyed as well.  Awesome goals, may you have great success at them.  

• Like 1
On 30/12/2017 at 12:08 AM, elinox said:

Obsessive fans that are trying to re-create Episode IV? *shrug* Either way, I really enjoyed The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi for the strong and independent female warriors. :D

Also, I'm thinking about switching out my weight lifting small quest for one focused on editing my latest book instead. I still have a few days to decide, hmm... 

It's either too different from the original trilogy or too much the same. Some people should just stick to watching the first three movies and pretend the rest of the series was never made :-). 

Level 4 Adventurer
Challenges: 7654321

I would like to preface that you have done amazing things with your theme! And I love your challenge! I've made it through the first couple of lessons of French on Duo, but still cannot pronounce anything :apologetic:

I wanted to comment on comments though...

Spoiler

On 12/28/2017 at 11:35 PM, Karma Krishok said:

How anyone did not like that movie is still impossible to understand for me! Good luck with the challenge!

Too many things didn't make sense, and poorly executed secondary character stories i.e. fetch quests.

Of particularly painful note, the supposed military strategy of both sides made no sense. I was broken after the first scene and could not recapture the magic as much as I tried. After that, scenes kept stalling for me, which causes me to think about the movie as it plays, rather than be immersed. 

On 12/29/2017 at 11:08 AM, elinox said:

I am probably an obsessive fan. Personally, I did not want a remake of Empire, but I did want the same quality. The calls back to Empire for "fan service" seemed forced and did not make sense to me. Watching Last Jedi felt like a commercial for a lot of new toys. And while SW has always had an epic merchandising market, I like to not feel that cynicism while I watch the movie for the first time. Disappointed is a good way to sum it up

Last Jedi Merits:

wonderfully beautiful film

the peaks into the grander universe despite feeling the story unravel when peaking

as always, John Williams

That lightsaber battle!!!!!!

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

13 hours ago, Syren said:

I would like to preface that you have done amazing things with your theme! And I love your challenge! I've made it through the first couple of lessons of French on Duo, but still cannot pronounce anything :apologetic:

Reveal hidden contents

Too many things didn't make sense, and poorly executed secondary character stories i.e. fetch quests.

Of particularly painful note, the supposed military strategy of both sides made no sense. I was broken after the first scene and could not recapture the magic as much as I tried. After that, scenes kept stalling for me, which causes me to think about the movie as it plays, rather than be immersed. 

I am probably an obsessive fan. Personally, I did not want a remake of Empire, but I did want the same quality. The calls back to Empire for "fan service" seemed forced and did not make sense to me. Watching Last Jedi felt like a commercial for a lot of new toys. And while SW has always had an epic merchandising market, I like to not feel that cynicism while I watch the movie for the first time. Disappointed is a good way to sum it up

Last Jedi Merits:

wonderfully beautiful film

the peaks into the grander universe despite feeling the story unravel when peaking

as always, John Williams

That lightsaber battle!!!!!!

Thanks! And I agree that DuoLingo's pronunciation is hard. I think it's hard to hear, and thus, repeat correctly. However, it's the best program I've found so far to use. Mostly because Rosetta Stone is so expensive!

And I certainly agree about the toys The Last Jedi was aiming for, ugh! The porgs were stupid and annoyed me as did those weird, racing horse-things. I'm not saying the movie didn't have issues, there were plenty, just that overall, it's better to have a cool Star Wars movie than not. ;) 

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

I’m changing out the weight lifting quest in order to focus on editing my book ‘Bonita Blue’ and to watch my sweet treats during the week again instead for this challenge. And because I’m worried about not getting out and walking with this cold weather as I hoped, so I’m going to need to walk every day over lunch instead to try to reach my 50 miles goal. 

1. Editing

Edit ‘Bonita Blue’, my 2017 NaNoWriMo win, once a week by getting through 3-4 chapters at a time. The story currently has 18 chapters so this seems reasonable. 

Scoring: x/5 weeks 
Reward: +3 to CHA

2. Sweet Treats

I have a terrible sweet tooth, particularly where processed sugars are concerned. And since, over the holidays, there were tasty things everywhere, I need to focus on less sugar in my daily diet, especially as I move into the new year and getting back into more exercise and healthy eating again. It’s a good goal to have for the first challenge in 2018. Because of my blow meals on weekends, I’m going to try to only have sweet treats 2-3 times per week, Monday through Friday.

Eat healthier by cutting down on the sweet treats to 2-3 times in the 5 day week. 

Scoring: /15 days 
Reward: +3 to CON 

So now my quests are:

1. Walking

2. French

3. Editing

4. Sweet Treats

Current Challenge: 

I couldn't find a gif of Chewie roasting a Porg to put here ... oh well.

• Haha 1

Half-Ork Scout Leader
Running PRs : 5K 24m16s | 10K 53m32s | 15K 1h18m09s | Half Marathon 2h1m44s | Marathon 4h42m2s 
Past Challenges #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13  #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22
                               #23 #24 #25 #26 #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 #34 #35 #36 #37
Current Challenge : ----

French: 3/35 (4 lessons)

Walking: 5/50 (2.5 miles)

Sweet Treats: 1/15 (raisins and pistachios)

Current Challenge: 

On 02/01/2018 at 6:50 AM, Syren said:

Agree there but it is not enough to make me dislike the movie. Although Leia's space walking came close...

Elinox, what's the story in the book you are writing? Looks like your challenge is off to a good start!

Level 4 Adventurer
Challenges: 7654321

2 hours ago, Karma Krishok said:

Agree there but it is not enough to make me dislike the movie. Although Leia's space walking came close...

Elinox, what's the story in the book you are writing? Looks like your challenge is off to a good start!

Don't get me wrong, there was plenty wrong with the movie! (Leia's spacewalk too ludicrous in my opinion too!) But even that wasn't enough to detract from the "holy frell STAR WARS" I also felt while watching it. ;) 

My story is about a scuba diver, who, after suffering some personal tragedy, moves to Cozumel, Mexico where he works as a dive master. During his dives, he encounters a mermaid and with her help, they save the reefs. 

Current Challenge: 

French: 4/35 (4 lessons)

Walking: 7.5/50 (I had to bike at the gym at first since all the treadmills were occupied so I'm counting that 2.62 miles in 12 minutes as 1 mile. When I got to the treadmill, I finished up with 1.5 miles of actual walking for 30 minutes. I'm counting the total today as 2.5 miles 'walked'.)

Sweet Treats: 2/15 (2 clementines & a serving of cheddar gold fish)

Editing: 1/5 (3 chapters, or 14 pages)

Current Challenge: 

On 1/3/2018 at 1:38 PM, elinox said:

Sweet Treats: 1/15 (raisins and pistachios)

Found you! If this constitutes a sweet treat, your sweet tooth is largely different than my own. :)

On 1/4/2018 at 6:18 AM, elinox said:

My story is about a scuba diver, who, after suffering some personal tragedy, moves to Cozumel, Mexico where he works as a dive master. During his dives, he encounters a mermaid and with her help, they save the reefs. 

Sounds like a neat story. I read a series years ago that had diving in it. It was by Angela Morrison, a three book series starting with Taken By Storm. It has a religious current and is young adult. It was good, touching, if you like that. It made me see diving in a new way. Good luck with your editing, you've been there before so I'm sure you have tricks, I'm struggling along day by day as I try to get through mine! Have fun!

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

7 minutes ago, J3NN said:

Found you! If this constitutes a sweet treat, your sweet tooth is largely different than my own. :)

Sounds like a neat story. I read a series years ago that had diving in it. It was by Angela Morrison, a three book series starting with Taken By Storm. It has a religious current and is young adult. It was good, touching, if you like that. It made me see diving in a new way. Good luck with your editing, you've been there before so I'm sure you have tricks, I'm struggling along day by day as I try to get through mine! Have fun!

I listing the non sweet treats and I'm actually eating. I don't count raisins, oranges or goldfish crackers as sweet; I'm talking about things like cookies, chocolate, ice cream.

And even though I've been in the editing phase before it's still daunting and oftentimes frustrating. But we'll both get there if we keep at it. But we'll both get there if we keep at it!

• Like 1

Current Challenge: