• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Akura

Akura joins SG-1

Had a pretty shitty day -- mostly because of back pains and some circulatory problems.
But then I meditated, exercised (a little bit), took a cold shower and ate a steak. Now, everything is less bad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack's Quest:

PHD: |||| - |||||| - ||||||||| - |||||| - ||||||

Mostly work on my handwriting recognition software for our iBook. So, not much writing done.

Teal'c's Quest:

+1 Workouts: || - || - || - || - ||

Sam's Quest:

+1 Tracking: ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+1 Meditating: |||| - |||| - |||| - |||| - ||||

Daniel's Quest:

+1 Guitar: ||||| - |||| - |||| - |||| - ||||

Reading: ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grandkai_NL said:

I have missed a lot of your post, what are you reading right now and wht are you keatning on the guitar??

I just finished Spuk in Wien which translates as Ghost Stories in Vienna. As an audiobook I'm listening to Golden Son (the second book of the Red Rising series), but that doesn't count as reading for this challenge. The next book will either be The Go Companion -- a collection of several small essays and anecdotes about the board game Go -- or a V.I. Warshawski novel.

On the guitar I'm currently practising songs I learned a while ago. Things like Nothing Else Matters, Gerudo Valley or Ballad of Serenity. When I'm a bit more consistent with practising I'll search new songs. Also, I promissed my girlfriend to sing her a love song, but I have no good idea for a song yet.

• Like 2

Jack's Quest:

Teal'c's Quest:

Workouts: || - || - || - || - ||

Sam's Quest:

+1 Meditating: |||| - |||| - |||| - ||||| - ||||

Daniel's Quest:

+1 Guitar: ||||| - |||| - |||| - |||| - ||||

Reading: ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||

Jack's Quest:

Lots of programming; no writing...

Teal'c's Quest:

+1 Workouts: || - || - || - ||| - ||

Sam's Quest:

+1 Meditating: |||| - |||| - |||| - |||||| - ||||

Daniel's Quest:

+1 Guitar: ||||| - |||| - |||| - ||||| - ||||

Reading pt. 1: ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||

+19 Reading pt. 2: ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||

Changed my reading plan to Die Donau -- a book about the influence of the river danube on the history of Europe. It has close to 400 pages and I want to finish it in the next challenge.

Teal'c's Quest:

Workouts: || - || - || - ||| - ||

Sam's Quest:

Daniel's Quest:

Reading pt. 1: ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||

Reading pt. 2: ||||| ||||| ||||| ||||

• Like 1

Teal'c's Quest:

Workouts: || - || - || - ||| - ||

Sam's Quest:

Meditating: |||| - |||| - |||| - |||||| - ||||

Daniel's Quest:

Guitar: ||||| - |||| - |||| - ||||| - ||||

Teal'c's Quest:

+1 Workouts: || - || - || - |||| - ||

Sam's Quest:

Daniel's Quest:

• Like 1

Teal'c's Quest:

Workouts: || - || - || - |||| - ||

Sam's Quest:

Daniel's Quest:

Guitar: ||||| - |||| - |||| - ||||| - ||||

Teal'c's Quest:

Sam's Quest:

Daniel's Quest:

Teal'c's Quest:

Sam's Quest:

Daniel's Quest:Guitar: ||||| - |||| - |||| - ||||| - ||||

CHALLENGE RECAP

Well, I'm not sure whether to be satisfied with this challenge. I wanted to use the last weeks to assess where I stand and what my baseline "performance" is. Depending on the resolution we look at the results, it looks both very good and very bad.

FINE SCORE:

Breaking each quest down by the total number of "things to do" during the five weeks it looks quite impressive.

Jack's Quest:

PHD: 17/26

I had a lot of other things to do and I realised that "pages written" is not a good measure for progress. Unfortunately, it's more or less the only numerical feature I can use. But I have some ideas how to structure the next challenge in order to make more progress with my dissertation.

Teal'c's Quest:

Workouts: 9/10

Overall I feel good with my exercise. I have less back pain (but slightly more shoulder problems) and I feel a bit stronger and fitter overall. A qualitative measure I like to look at are the veins on (in?) my forearms; which are more visible than five weeks ago. I take that as a sign that I'm, on average, more active.

Sam's Quest:

Tracking: 32/35

Meditating: 18/20

Tracking went well, as usual, but every now and then I have days on which I eat so many things that tracking becomes tedious -- in particular, I lose interest when I do not cook myself and I have to guesstimate the ingredients. The evaluation of the things I tracked will be done in the beginning of the next challenge.

Meditating went much better than expected; especially as I don't use Headspace anymore. Subjectively it seems to help, too, as I seem to cope better with pain and anxiety.

Daniel's Quest:

Guitar: 17/20

Reading: 143/124

Practising the guitar is super easy and super fun once I start; but getting myself to sit down to do it was rather hard. Overall it went well, but I need to be more consistent.

I started and finished the book I wanted to finished and even started another one. So far, so good. But I realised that I want to read much more. The best opportunities to do so are in he underground on my way to work and at night before going to bed. The first one I mostly spent with playing video games (Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and The Escapists 2 mostly) and the second with my phone. In particular the last one would be good to change.

COARSE SCORE:

Looking at each week seperately, things start to look bleak... I won't break down each quest here again. The conclusion is simply to be more consistent overall.

Jack's Quest:

PHD: 2/5

Teal'c's Quest:

Workouts: 1/5

Sam's Quest:

Tracking: 2/5

Meditating: 2/5

Daniel's Quest:

Guitar: 2/5

Reading: 1/1

FINAL THOUGHT:

During my next challenge I want to do basically the same, but add a few things here and there. It will be too much, probably... But maybe not!

• Like 1

You did a lot this challenge and still managed to do pretty well. Both of those are good things! Simplifying may be a good idea for next challenge if you can manage it, or at least figuring out what you don't need to track so you can focus on what you do need to track.

• Like 2