Mike_D channels his inner Scrooge McDuck

Mike_d85

tliid_113__scrooge_mcduck_vs_predator_by

I love deviantart.  That picture has basically nothing to do with anything, but damned if I didn’t feel a need to share it.  I searched for “Scrooge McDuck Jungle” and that’s what comes up.

This challenge I want to set a tone for the rest of the year (as you do on New Year’s) and let you guys know why I’m setting my goals this year the way I am.  I want to maintain 2 things (running and weight lifting) and improve 3 things (hobbies, finances, and bulking).  Every challenge I’m going to set goals for those five things and rewards that improves them in the future.  For this purpose I’ve chosen a spirit animal of sorts: Scrooge McDuck.  Why?

Maintain Lifting and Running – Scrooge McDuck is an avid health fanatic.  People don’t seem to realize but the duck is literally swimming in gold coins daily.  Swimming.  In.  Gold.  Coins.  He’s displacing dozens of pounds while doing cardio.  There are vastly worse role models for strength training and cardio.    Mileage and lifting may go up depending on my mood or down depending on if I’m coming up on a race.  Two goals will appear in every single challenge: maintain running (30km per week), maintain weightlifting (3 days per week).

Hobbies – Scrooge McDuck is a duck of many talents and a hobbiest extraordinaire.  Take a look and you can find pictures and stories of him participating in almost any adventure or sport.  And not like stumbling across him in a melee fight with the Predator (seriously, wtf deviantart?), but actual cannon activities.  Auto racing, horseback riding, fencing, prospecting, hiking, camping, etc, etc, etc.  Personally, I’m trying to focus on 2 things this year- making things and music.  Yes, you make music, but I mean stuff as in things around the house like furniture or whatnot.  Bonus points if I can earn a little money doing it.  One goal per challenge minimum will be related to guitar or making.  I might swap it out for something unique if something comes along that I want to try out.

Finances - Swimming.  In.  Gold.  Coins.  Scrooge doesn’t just HAVE money, he goes through pained efforts to KEEP it just like his namesake.  So minimum one goal per challenge will have the purpose of either saving money or making money.

Bulking – OK… umm… Launchpad looks ripped?  So this spirit animal thing isn’t perfect.  The fact of the matter is after my first marathon attempt I found that I feel better, look better, and run better when I weight more and strength train.  So I figure I’ll take this a few steps farther and try to get big and muscle-y.  This means I’ll need to find a good bulking plan to follow and pay attention to my nutrition to make sure I build muscle more than squishy bits around my mid-section.  I currently sit around 175 lbs and usual float down to 170 or so occasionally.  I don’t want to give up running half marathon distances so I don’t expect I’ll rocket up to 210 or something but getting to the point where I’m at 185 or 190 would be neat.  I’m kind of guessing at this since I’ve never gotten all that big and I have no clue what I’ll look like with more muscle on me.  Ideally my build will be athletic but I’m not attempting anything insane like Arnold or something.  I’m shooting for roughly “rugby player” build.  Clearly well-muscled and athletic but also clearly drinking lots of beer.  I have a spreadsheet for charting size progress.  One goal minimum, I expect 2 goals per challenge (lifting and food) for bulking.

All that being said: what about this challenge?

1. Maintain running and weightlifting – 30k per week and 3 days minimum
  2. Finish the Batcave – Build deadlift platforms, muffle noise, arrange everything.  I should also set up a practice space for guitar (music, headphones, guitar stand, etc).
  3. Prepare to negotiate salary at work – We have performance reviews in the next few weeks and will be notified of our pay increases for 2018.  I intend to push for more cash or start looking for another job.
  4. Cancel the gym membership – If I have the batcave up and running I don’t need to give the Y my money.  The home gym should pay for itself in a scant 4 months.
  5. Find/design a bulking program

• Like 2

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

Love it. Smells of ambition and childhood.

• Like 2

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

16 hours ago, theophilus said:

Love it. Smells of ambition and childhood.

Mmmm...  The sweet, sweet smell of sweat and Pogs.

11 hours ago, The Borg Queen said:

When I think of bulking, I have this wonderful idea that it means eating unlimited cheese burgers, pizza, and ice cream. Please let me down easy if I'm wrong. 

Anyway, it will be nice to have a strong man around here among all the lean enduro scouts. :) 

Well... that's ONE way of doing it.

My Battle Log 

5 hours ago, Mike_d85 said:

Mmmm...  The sweet, sweet smell of sweat and Pogs.

Ha!

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

22 hours ago, ValkyrieRising said:

I couldnt not follow this challenge. You have Scrooge Mc Duck versus Predator with one predator head on a stick. Who can't help but follow that. *whistles the Duck Tales theme song and settles in to watch*

You didn't miss the Micky, Goofy and Donald skulls in the background, did you?

My Battle Log 

12 hours ago, Baldilocks said:

Yes, the world needs more guitarists.  May you become the next Joe Satriani.

That reminds me: I have a guitar practice space set up.  Thanks to my obscenely generous family over Chistmas I just had to set up my amp, stand, headphones, tuner, and music stand in the office and viola, I have a practice space.

Now I just need to circle back to USING that space, but that's for challenges to come.

PS: I think I'm shooting more for Prince, but I'll take some good ole guitar riffs with my hair billowing in the wind.

My Battle Log 

Week 1 recap:

1. Maintain running and weightlifting – This didn't happen.  The wife was sick, there was a blizzard, and I didn't have the batcave up an running yet so I couldn't really do full weightlifting or get out and run.   I did get a pathetic lifting session in and 10k done on the treadmill at the apartment gym.
  2. Finish the Batcave – Built deadlift platforms, hung a baffle (it's designed to deaden noise), cleaned and organized the corner of the basement.  I pretty much just need something to make the baffle look good and a pullup bar and I'm done.  There's a picture below.
  3. Prepare to negotiate salary at work – nothing yet.
  4. Cancel the gym membership – I wanted the home gym ready before I cut off the Y.  I'm stopping by tomorrow night for a lifting session and I'll cancel then.
  5. Find/design a bulking program - Nothing concrete but I've read some neat nutrition articles including one that explained the role of carbohydrates in muscle building.

6skhxMH.jpg

• Like 1

My Battle Log 

3 hours ago, Mike_d85 said:

Week 1 recap:

1. Maintain running and weightlifting – This didn't happen.  The wife was sick, there was a blizzard, and I didn't have the batcave up an running yet so I couldn't really do full weightlifting or get out and run.   I did get a pathetic lifting session in and 10k done on the treadmill at the apartment gym.
  2. Finish the Batcave – Built deadlift platforms, hung a baffle (it's designed to deaden noise), cleaned and organized the corner of the basement.  I pretty much just need something to make the baffle look good and a pullup bar and I'm done.  There's a picture below.
  3. Prepare to negotiate salary at work – nothing yet.
  4. Cancel the gym membership – I wanted the home gym ready before I cut off the Y.  I'm stopping by tomorrow night for a lifting session and I'll cancel then.
  5. Find/design a bulking program - Nothing concrete but I've read some neat nutrition articles including one that explained the role of carbohydrates in muscle building.

6skhxMH.jpg

See I've always wondered on this. Theres a million articles that say "MUST CARBS" and some that say "SCREW CARBS" and all seem to have solid research backing it up and it gets all confusing and then Im pretty sure my brain ends up like a Monty Python sketch with one mint too many.

• Like 1

When it comes to nutrition I try to loosely follow what the articles say and sniff out the research trail.  I think mostly it's trial and error for what works for you.

I'll really internalize stuff if the author shows some pretty well sourced research.  Like I no longer believe in the anabolic window (eating protein within an hour of exercise helps build muscle) because of studies done on human subjects in metabolic chambers (they keep you in a contained environment and measure your waste for accuracy).  The very controlled, very specific, well populated study does not support a myth based on nothing more than conjecture based on what WAS known (protein intake correlates with muscle synthesis).  On the opposite end of the spectrum is the article I mentioned was interesting where he cites carbohydrates being used to restore glycogen levels and his armchair thesis (which I try to ignore) is that it's good for him to eat glucose (specifically gummy bears) immediately after a workout.  I would guess he's probably overzealous, but neither of us has a significant study to support or deny the claim.  While I assume his research on carbohydrates' role in muscle synthesis is sound I doubt the positive impact of a post-workout gummy bears binge.  Just guessing it's the anabolic window all over again with carbs instead of protein. 

Maybe I should write the article about eating a load of fat immediately after a workout.  Try and beat the curve.

Edit: Article name - Bullet Proof Coffee to go with Those Guns

My Battle Log 

12 hours ago, Mike_d85 said:

Finish the Batcave – Built deadlift platforms, hung a baffle (it's designed to deaden noise), cleaned and organized the corner of the basement.  I pretty much just need something to make the baffle look good and a pullup bar and I'm done.

Nice work on the Batcave.

batcave.gif

• Like 1

After actually USING the deadlift platforms I came to a sad discovery: I've made them too tall.  I ended up flipping them over and using the bottoms like tire chocks.  It works REALLY well and I can use them the other way around if I'm doing anything lighter like rows.

My Battle Log 

Week 2 progress report:

1. Maintain running and weightlifting –I missed one short run and the treadmill capped my long run at 10k instead of the 15k I wanted to do, but seeing as how we were buried in snow I'll allow it.
  2. Finish the Batcave – Eyeballing ways to install a pullup bar.  I can do pullups off the steel I-beam the runs through my basement but that's a tad uncomfortable.  I'm getting used to setting things up and moving the equipment around for different things.  I'm pretty happy with where I'm at so I can call it "finished".
  3. Prepare to negotiate salary at work – Haven't had the meeting yet.  I plan on asking for an outline of the progress expected in the coming year.  After considering it I'm less concerned with the money and more concerned with the leadership of the company.  I will still nudge for promotion in an attempt to help provide leadership.
  4. Cancel the gym membership – Done and I have a notification that as of 1/31 I am no longer a member of the YMCA.  I'll have to get back to one because I like knowing my fitness is subsidizing after school programs and community involvement.  I'm going to go down there on the 30th or so and have a swim and a sit in the steam room on my way home.
  5. Find/design a bulking program - I've been gathering notes and fiddling with some things in excel (macro calculations and 1RM calculations mostly).  I put together a Phase I of a 12-week plan.  I figure 3 phases and I can line up with the 4-week challenges which means I'll be trying the new phase on week 0 to work out any kinks.

I feel pretty good about where I'm at.

duckburg_gym_logo__by_atariboy2600-dbdax

• Like 1

My Battle Log 

Week 3 recap:

1. Maintain running and weightlifting – Nope.  I was sick Monday, my wife was sick Wednesday and the dog was sick yesterday.  I got one good lifting session in and 2 short runs. 
  2. Finish the Batcave – Still pining for a pull up bar, but I'm pretty comfortable with the setup I have.  I even sorted out that some of my 1" plates have a 2" ridge on them that clamps my 2" plates on.  I might find a way to mark the settings for bench, squat, etc.  I've lost some time trying to switch from bench press to overhead press.  I'm sure I'll get it memorized in a few months, but a paint pen and some notes would speed things along for now.
  3. Prepare to negotiate salary at work – I now have an underling starting next month.  Still haven't had a performance review though.  I think it was supposed to be done last month.
  4. Cancel the gym membership – Done last week.
  5. Find/design a bulking program - I have a draft of a lifting plan ready and I've set up a calculator to sort out my caloric needs.  I figure I'll count macros same as my marathon training and fiddle with the ratios.  I'm going to keep going back to my lifting plan as I work with the gym and see what works/what doesn't, can I run to the apartment gym for one lift, etc.

RealPox.jpg

• Like 1

My Battle Log 

On 1/19/2018 at 9:00 AM, Mike_d85 said:

Finish the Batcave – Still pining for a pull up bar, but I'm pretty comfortable with the setup I have.  I even sorted out that some of my 1" plates have a 2" ridge on them that clamps my 2" plates on.  I might find a way to mark the settings for bench, squat, etc.  I've lost some time trying to switch from bench press to overhead press.  I'm sure I'll get it memorized in a few months, but a paint pen and some notes would speed things along for now.

Great that the duck gym is finally seeing some action!!!

duck_slide.gif

Well as this is the first day of the week I've been able to breathe through my nose, I'm sure this will be a great recap:

1. Maintain running and weightlifting –Not one workout this week.  Not one.  I've been sick the ENTIRE week.
  2. Finish the Batcave – I haven't gotten to work on doing anything else here either, but I'm happy for where I'm at in the challenge.
  3. Prepare to negotiate salary at work – I still haven't had a performance review.  This is the sort of thing that I intend to mention.
  4. Cancel the gym membership – Last day of membership is next Monday.  As long as I feel healthy I'm going to pop in and swim and hit the steam room.
  5. Find/design a bulking program - I have the workout designed and I have the calories calculated.  I'm going to get my starting measurements as soon as I feel healthy again and my next challenge will be phase 1 of 3 in my own 15 week program.  I'm going to follow the 4 week challenge format with week 0 being a testing week to get comfortable with the lifts and make any changes to the program I need to.

latest?cb=20110925083806

No, I'm not.  If I was it wouldn't be any fun.

My Battle Log