• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cataleya

Cataleya, Ninja Extraordinaire

tumblr_m9p3wqwK0M1qa2ynho1_500.gif

So, 2017 was hard for me.

yJ7i3XK.gif

Me, basically all of 2017

I am still dealing with the existential crisis I dealt with all year, I gained all of my weight back that I had lost in 2015-2016, and I just let other people's issues come first, when I should have been prioritizing my own life. 

So, you know, 2017 can 

tumblr_inline_o31ku1U5E91t10vs1_500.gif 

Anyway, 2018 is gonna be my year. I need it to be. Six years of graduate school really took a toll on my mental and physical health, and I refuse to go into my 30s less healthy than I went into my 20s. So, it's time to catch up on a few things.

tumblr_nki7efrKF71uounnno1_400.gif

Actual footage of me trying to catch up to my goals

We all know that I am someone who enjoys the video games, especially MMOs and RPGs. I have recently gotten back into Final Fantasy XIV, on which I have a level 70 Ninja and am leveling up Bard. So I thought I'd do an MMO/FFXIV-themed challenge for this first challenge of 2018. Specifically, I'd do some tank, healer, and DPS quests. Keep it simple of course. Here we go!

Measurement Spreadsheet

2018 Road Map

TANK: WARRIOR

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day

HEALER: SCHOLAR

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge

Bonus EXP: Any additional books read

Quest 2: Finish up one research project over course of challenge

Bonus EXP: Any additional projects completed

DPS: NINJA

Quest 1: Running, twice a week

Bonus EXP: Interval training

Quest 2: Stretching, every day

Bonus EXP: Work on splits

DPS: BARD

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going)

Bonus EXP: Win a match

Quest 2: Write two blog posts over course of challenge

Bonus EXP: Any additional blog posts written

Duty-Commenced.png

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

So, 2017 was hard for me.

But you did get your PHD, didn't you? And a job, yes?

15 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

Write two blog posts over course of challenge

Can you post the link to your blog? I remember a time in which I new the adress...

-------------------------

P.S.: I never heard of a bard taking on the role of a damage dealer. FF XIV seems weird...

• Like 2

2017 was a rotten year for a lot of folks, sorry you got caught in the mess! :(  Congrats on surviving grad school, that's a crazy hard challenge to face on top of it. All the love for the challenge topic, I've been meaning to get back into FF (my poor Pally still hasn't reached level cap) and this post has really sparked that up again. Good luck with your question, it looks like you got a wide variety of chains to chase! :D  (And hopefully they'll have less cutscenes... ;):lol:)

On 12/27/2017 at 1:52 PM, Urgan said:

Look who built momentum through Thanksgiving and Christmas. Challenge accepted. 2018 better run.

Thanks! I hope 2018 is scared shitless.

On 12/27/2017 at 1:53 PM, Akura said:

But you did get your PHD, didn't you? And a job, yes?

Can you post the link to your blog? I remember a time in which I new the adress...

-------------------------

P.S.: I never heard of a bard taking on the role of a damage dealer. FF XIV seems weird...

I did! It's not ot say that I didn't accomplish anything, just that, well, it was a really hard year for me. I really struggled, and backslid in a lot of ways. I did accomplish things! But I want this year to be better, now that I'm unshackled by graduate school and all the shit that comes with it.

I'll FB you the blog in the morning. I have toyed around with posting it here, but previous experiences with a multi-year stalker has made me a little hesitant. As an aside, if anyone does want to be Facebook friends, I'm happy to add people. Just send me your Facebook on here or on Instagram.

I showed Schatz my challenge post and I guess he read some of the replies and I think yours was his favorite, both for the optimism and because he too thinks Bard should not be a DPS class. XD

On 12/27/2017 at 2:17 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following.

On 12/27/2017 at 2:57 PM, Echocheanic said:

This should be fun. :))

On 12/27/2017 at 5:08 PM, fleaball said:

Lurking!

On 12/27/2017 at 5:11 PM, shaar said:

I LOVE THIS THEME OBVS YES V. GOOD <3

On 12/27/2017 at 7:39 PM, Hazard said:

Wark wark.  Subbin’

On 12/27/2017 at 7:42 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Following!

On 12/28/2017 at 1:46 AM, Grandkai_NL said:

Following!

I'm so glad to have all you wonderful folks here! <3

On 12/28/2017 at 8:04 AM, UnquietBones said:

2017 was a rotten year for a lot of folks, sorry you got caught in the mess! :(  Congrats on surviving grad school, that's a crazy hard challenge to face on top of it. All the love for the challenge topic, I've been meaning to get back into FF (my poor Pally still hasn't reached level cap) and this post has really sparked that up again. Good luck with your question, it looks like you got a wide variety of chains to chase! :D  (And hopefully they'll have less cutscenes... ;):lol:)

What's FF without a shitload of cutscenes and running from one person to another in order to activate said cutscenes? XD

Go level that Pally! Our FC tank would be really displeased to see this! (He mains Paladin.)

---------

So I purchased access to the Academy; we'll see how that goes. I'm excited for it!

I was also asked by 23andme to do some kind of nutrition study where I change my habits and see if I lose weight. I find out more on the 8th, but I went ahead and signed up to reduce my carb intake, because, well, that's a goal of mine anyway, so why not contribute to science in the meantime? They know I have PCOS and hypothyroidism, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Challenge starts today! Happy New Year! Now I'm going to get some sleep so I can rest and run tomorrow. Doubles tennis league starts again on the 8th, so this week will have a three run goal. My knee has been a bit sore and popping a little lately, but that may be from inactivity. I've been lazy af the past week or two, lol. Either way, I'm gonna find my knee brace and put that on before I run, just in case. The extra support really does help.

Anyway, good night and good luck!

• Like 9

It's been fun setting everything up, that's for sure! I'll leave that to my road map I'll post here in a second though. Also, adding spreadsheet into intro post, but thought I'd post it here too.

Update:

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week - Tomorrow. Need to do this before I head to my parents so they can sign over the car to me.

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups - not yet

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day - 112g baby! And I didn't even need protein powder or a whole bunch of eggs. 

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day - 67g! Amazing.

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge - not yet

Bonus EXP: Any additional books read - not yet

Quest 2: Finish up one research project over course of challenge - not yet

Bonus EXP: Any additional projects completed- not yet

Quest 1: Running, twice a week - not yet

Bonus EXP: Interval training - not yet

Quest 2: Stretching, every day - Yep, nothing to report

Bonus EXP: Work on splits - Yep, nothing to report

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going) - Replaced with run for this week. Amazing how well everything went. I woke up, went to the restroom, weighed myself and was pleasantly surprised I'd maintained over the holidays. Said, "I really need to find my knee--" and found my knee brace. Schatz is wonderful and put it right where I needed it. Then I needed my shoes and turned the corner and I found them. Then I looked at my weather app, and it was 1F (about -17C). Ugh. But I didn't want to run in place or risk someone else using the one treadmill, so I dressed appropriately and spent some time on NFA, by then it was 3F (about -16C). Wasn't thrilled, but I ran anyway. And I managed to do it! I guess according to C25K I just finished week 2. I'm on the fence about signing up for a 5k in May still but that might be worth my time.

Bonus EXP: Win a match - N/A

Quest 2: Write two blog posts over course of challenge - not yet

Bonus EXP: Any additional blog posts written - not yet

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Cataleya said:

---------

So I purchased access to the Academy; we'll see how that goes. I'm excited for it!

I was also asked by 23andme to do some kind of nutrition study where I change my habits and see if I lose weight. I find out more on the 8th, but I went ahead and signed up to reduce my carb intake, because, well, that's a goal of mine anyway, so why not contribute to science in the meantime? They know I have PCOS and hypothyroidism, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Hey, also an NFA member!

and, 23andme sent me that email too... I was seriously considering it but feeling kind of angsty about committment. maybe I'll just say YES.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, karinajean said:

Hey, also an NFA member!

and, 23andme sent me that email too... I was seriously considering it but feeling kind of angsty about committment. maybe I'll just say YES.

Do it! If it works out, awesome. If it doesn't, just be honest about it. You won't be alone. I haven't done a lot of longitudinal research, but I've done enough to know that these studies often hurt for participants and can use as much data as possible.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Then I looked at my weather app, and it was 1F (about -17C). Ugh. But I didn't want to run in place or risk someone else using the one treadmill, so I dressed appropriately and spent some time on NFA, by then it was 3F (about -16C). Wasn't thrilled, but I ran anyway. And I managed to do it!

HECK YEAH!  Something instead of nothing, no matter how small, is always a huge win. <3333

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Then I looked at my weather app, and it was 1F (about -17C). Ugh. But I didn't want to run in place or risk someone else using the one treadmill, so I dressed appropriately and spent some time on NFA, by then it was 3F (about -16C). Wasn't thrilled, but I ran anyway. And I managed to do it! I guess according to C25K I just finished week 2. I'm on the fence about signing up for a 5k in May still but that might be worth my time.

Some people I know won't go run if it's <60F even though they have an outdoor job, so. You know. 

giphy.gif 

• Like 2

Update that might get formatted wonky because I am on Tapatalk:

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week - Did NFA Bodyweight Workout 1A. Took like 10 minutes and I felt like it was a challenge, but doable. Except the farmers walk. I will need to go the weight because 5lbs per arm made me feel lie an asshole.

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups - not yet

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day - Yes, but I'm not happy about it. My parents wanted to go to McDonald's, which, fine. I looked up options, and found a salad of theirs that isn't bad. Went to order it, and that particular McDonald's didn't have it. They didn't really have anything I had looked up as options, despite said options being on McDonald's website. So I went with my usual, chicken nuggets with sweet and sour sauce and fries. I didn't eat all the fries and only used one sauce packet instead of both, but I was still annoyed. So when I went home we ate dinner at a Mexican-ish place where I could customize my meal pretty heavily, so that went a bit better. Still wasn't too close and was going to give up but decided to go for it and drank my protein powder. It was not the almond milk but the powder itself I hated, after drinking it with regular milk. So I threw the rest of the powder in the trash and will go back to what I was using. Ended up with 102g protein.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day - 102g. Amazing, considering, well, McDonald's.

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge - not yet

Bonus EXP: Any additional books read - not yet

Quest 2: Finish up one research project over course of challenge - not yet

Bonus EXP: Any additional projects completed- not yet

Quest 1: Running, twice a week - not yet

Bonus EXP: Interval training - not yet

Quest 2: Stretching, every day - Yep, nothing to report

Bonus EXP: Work on splits - Yep, nothing to report

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going) - QUEST COMPLETE

Bonus EXP: Win a match - N/A

Quest 2: Write two blog posts over course of challenge - not yet

Bonus EXP: Any additional blog posts written - not yet

I have to be on campus for some shitty hours long meeting tomorrow, followed by a lunch, followed by probably another shitty meeting which will inevitably have snacks at it. I'm not going to run in the morning because the meeting starts at 8am, but it will be the first thing I do when I get home.

I asked if there was a way for me to take fewer pills with the Metformin and was prescribed 1000s and told to cut a pill in half for the second dose, but I also have 500s so I'll just take a 1000 and a 500 each day. Also going to get a pill organizer so I can remember what I've taken each day.

My parotid lymph node is slightly swollen and painful, so I'm gonna heat up a rice bag for it and my left knee and rest and read. Not sure what to read yet.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day - 102g. Amazing, considering, well, McDonald's.

Sounds like witchcraft! o.O

• Like 1

You can definitely get the proten at McDonald's, it's doing so under a shallow calorie budget that is the real trick. Good job making it happen. Any chance of cutting a deal for every quickie unhealthy food destination you need one full of easy-good-choices-to-make place in turn? It shouldn't be all give on your part. I know families are hard to deal with if they aren't "on board."

• Like 2