• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cataleya

Cataleya, Ninja Extraordinaire

You can definitely get the proten at McDonald's, it's doing so under a shallow calorie budget that is the real trick. Good job making it happen. Any chance of cutting a deal for every quickie unhealthy food destination you need one full of easy-good-choices-to-make place in turn? It shouldn't be all give on your part. I know families are hard to deal with if they aren't "on board."
The problem isn't really that my family isn't on board, although they do suffer from "we really shouldn't be eating this" while they continue to eat it. I think it's part of the reason I've always had so much trouble with soda until Schatz helped me mostly kick it. I know I shouldn't drink it and it is bad for me, but I just kind of didn't know what to do with that information, so I didn't work on breaking the habit.

I think the bigger problem for them is that if they do want to go out, their options are limited because this state is mostly rural. In town, there's a Mexican restaurant that's not healthy at all, the legion which is mostly fried food (Americana or whatever), Subway, Taco Bell, Wendy's, McDonald's, and a Chinese place that is mostly fried food. So if you want to eat healthy you basically have to cook for yourself. Where we were at, which is more populated but still in the same area, we had Papa John's, Hardees, McDonald's, and I think Dominos as options. I figured my best shot was McDonald's so that's what I chose.

There is a reason why my area has some of the highest rates of obesity in the county. Well, that's one reason. We also have a fairly anti-fitness culture, our streets aren't necessarily safe to walk or ride on, etc. I mean, I live only like 3 miles from work but I have to drive to and from work instead of biking like I hoped because it's simply not safe. I had a friend that did it once (he used to live near where I do now) because his car broke down, and he was like please don't ever do it. Please.

Another thing to miss about the city. I walked a mile and a half to and from work every weekday. :(
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

There is a reason why my area has some of the highest rates of obesity in the county. Well, that's one reason. We also have a fairly anti-fitness culture, our streets aren't necessarily safe to walk or ride on, etc. I mean, I live only like 3 miles from work but I have to drive to and from work instead of biking like I hoped because it's simply not safe. I had a friend that did it once (he used to live near where I do now) because his car broke down, and he was like please don't ever do it. Please.

Oof. So hard when your environment isn't helping you meet your goals. But it sounds like you have a clear idea of your goals and are willing to do what it takes to get there, despite a less-than-ideal setting. Go you!!

• Like 3

Update from phone again:

TANK: WARRIOR

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week - Tomorrow. It's funny, yesterday when doing the door frame row or whatever I was like I dunno I don't think this is doing anything but the muscles over my ribs under my armpits are killing me today.

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups - not yet

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day - I did. 103. Had to add some eggs but I managed. Was harder than anticipated with shitty food options at our faculty meetings.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day - 115g. Late reception almost did me in. But I was kind of proud of myself. At lunch, the option was not great. I don't know how you mess up chicken pot pie but whatever. I knew there was dessert so I said if there is something appealing I will get a small piece but just one and won't get anything at the reception. I wasn't in the mood for strawberry cake with white icing or brownies, so I said okay I will get something at the reception but I will limit myself to one small plate. And I did.

HEALER: SCHOLAR

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge - not yet, but I did start Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don't Know What You're Eating and What You Can Do About It by Larry Olmsted. I'm not too far into it but it's okay so far. It's basically about food that isn't what it's labeled to be, like when people advertise/serve lobster rolls that don't actually have lobster in them. I don't know much I'll learn from it and it comes across as a little alarmist but it should still be an interesting read.

Bonus EXP: Any additional books read - not yet

Quest 2: Finish up one research project over course of challenge - not yet

Bonus EXP: Any additional projects completed- not yet

DPS: NINJA

Quest 1: Running, twice a week - I kind of messed up today, but kind of saved it. I didn't want to run this morning because I knew I was required to be on campus early. I forgot how dark it gets so early though, and even though I got home earlier than anticipated it was too dark to run and I needed a nap to recharge my introvert batteries anyway. So I took a nap and ran indoors in place. Not the best thing but I made it work, I guess. I'll be sure to put in a bit more effort on Friday for sure, and I'm gonna just wear my workout clothes to work and shower and change there, check out a locker, etc. That's where I'll do my running from here on out. I mean, I tried, and that's what counts. I could have done nothing.

Bonus EXP: Interval training - not yet

Quest 2: Stretching, every day - Yep, nothing to report

Bonus EXP: Work on splits - Yep, nothing to report really. We'll see if this aimless stretching helps. The front splits are coming along okay, minus some tightness in the back of the front knee when I do it. Feels great on my hip flexors (which are tight af) though which is part of the idea here. Side splits or middle splits are going okay, but so much tension in my inner thighs like woah. Glad to be sorting that out to some extent.

DPS: BARD

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going) - Yep. Ran instead.

Bonus EXP: Win a match - N/A

Quest 2: Write two blog posts over course of challenge - not yet

Bonus EXP: Any additional blog posts written - not yet

Booked my first massage for next Saturday. I'm pretty excited about it. I think by then I'll have a better idea of what needs work. I usually have her check my hips and pecs now, but she often notices other stuff that even I didn't until she works on it. She's very good. The pecs are important because tight pecs can limit shoulder mobility from what I understand, which is kind of a big deal for tennis. Oh and my knee. It's doing better with the support brace (even though it's apparently a little too small, which is kind of embarassing) but I still need to be careful with it.

Back to reading!
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Cataleya said:

The problem isn't really that my family isn't on board, although they do suffer from "we really shouldn't be eating this" while they continue to eat it. I think it's part of the reason I've always had so much trouble with soda until Schatz helped me mostly kick it. I know I shouldn't drink it and it is bad for me, but I just kind of didn't know what to do with that information, so I didn't work on breaking the habit.

I think the bigger problem for them is that if they do want to go out, their options are limited because this state is mostly rural. In town, there's a Mexican restaurant that's not healthy at all, the legion which is mostly fried food (Americana or whatever), Subway, Taco Bell, Wendy's, McDonald's, and a Chinese place that is mostly fried food. So if you want to eat healthy you basically have to cook for yourself. Where we were at, which is more populated but still in the same area, we had Papa John's, Hardees, McDonald's, and I think Dominos as options. I figured my best shot was McDonald's so that's what I chose. 

Ah, it seemed like they were steering directly for McDonald's. The rut of routine is hard to break free of unless you have a damn good reason. Sadly that reason in our family has involved major life-threatening medical events. Do Not Want.

10 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge - not yet, but I did start Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don't Know What You're Eating and What You Can Do About It by Larry Olmsted. I'm not too far into it but it's okay so far. It's basically about food that isn't what it's labeled to be, like when people advertise/serve lobster rolls that don't actually have lobster in them. I don't know much I'll learn from it and it comes across as a little alarmist but it should still be an interesting read.

I would like to hear your take, sounds interesting. Food quality is an issue that interests me greatly.

10 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Quest 1: Running, twice a week - I kind of messed up today, but kind of saved it. I didn't want to run this morning because I knew I was required to be on campus early. I forgot how dark it gets so early though, and even though I got home earlier than anticipated it was too dark to run and I needed a nap to recharge my introvert batteries anyway. So I took a nap and ran indoors in place. Not the best thing but I made it work, I guess. I'll be sure to put in a bit more effort on Friday for sure, and I'm gonna just wear my workout clothes to work and shower and change there, check out a locker, etc. That's where I'll do my running from here on out. I mean, I tried, and that's what counts. I could have done nothing.

All about dat momentum.

• Like 3

Update from phone again:

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week - Did 1B today. The wall walks or whatever were a little weird but not as weird as the good mornings. Those were awkward and I'm not sure if I did them right, even after watching the video twice.

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups - not yet

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day - I did. 103.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day - 89g. I didn't set this bar too strictly because I thought I'd be discouraged, but 2/4 days under 100 so far is kind of surprising. We'll see if it holds.

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge - Still reading Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don't Know What You're Eating and What You Can Do About It by Larry Olmsted. I think the book is pretty interesting and mildly terrifying. I just finished the seafood chapter and was pretty depressed about how much fish fraud there seems to be in the US. I'm also kind of left wondering what I'm supposed to do about it. We'll see if he provides anything other than "don't eat out at most places."

Bonus EXP: Any additional books read - not yet

Quest 2: Finish up one research project over course of challenge - not yet

Bonus EXP: Any additional projects completed- not yet

Quest 1: Running, twice a week - Tomorrow

Bonus EXP: Interval training - not yet

Quest 2: Stretching, every day - Yep, nothing to report

Bonus EXP: Work on splits - not today

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going) - done

Quest 2: Write two blog posts over course of challenge - not yet

Bonus EXP: Any additional blog posts written - not yet

Getting nervous about school starting up again. It'll be the first time I'm teaching stats. I think I'm more nervous that I know everyone else will be nervous.
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Getting nervous about school starting up again. It'll be the first time I'm teaching stats. I think I'm more nervous that I know everyone else will be nervous.

Always remember: The students will have so much respect for you, they won't notice when you do not know something.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I'm also kind of left wondering what I'm supposed to do about it. We'll see if he provides anything other than "don't eat out at most places."

There's a growing amount of food places around me that follow the "farm to fork" concept, where they source their ingredients locally (regionally, really), normally by going directly to the farmers, with a couple also emphasizing organic. Unfortunately, they're also more expensive to eat at. But I think there's more confidence about what you're eating. So it's a trade off. But it's also not affordable for a lot of people and won't change the larger problem. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zeroh13 said:

There's a growing amount of food places around me that follow the "farm to fork" concept, where they source their ingredients locally (regionally, really), normally by going directly to the farmers, with a couple also emphasizing organic. Unfortunately, they're also more expensive to eat at. But I think there's more confidence about what you're eating. So it's a trade off. But it's also not affordable for a lot of people and won't change the larger problem. 

(Note: All of this is from memory so I might have some details wrong. Best to do your own research to confirm, if this interests anyone.)

Yeah, and I'm also not sure how they're going to be able to do that with fish. Chicken or beef I get because you can get that most places. And some places, like if you live on the coast, can pretty easily do that with fish, but if you serve fish of any kind in like, the Midwest, consumers are going to have to trust that the restaurant, store, fish supplier, etc. aren't mislabeling the fish along the way. Olmsted highlighted some research, and I don't have it in front of me, but for example something like half of the fish served at restaurants they tested in NYC or something like that are mislabeled. (I can't remember what it was for stores, but I think it was a similar percentage.) And it's not like, "Oh whoops we said this was x but it's actually y," where x is any random fish and y is any other random fish. It's pretty much always x is a high quality, more expensive fish and y is a low quality, cheaper fish that has had no quality control. So it's not like it's on accident; otherwise you'd see some expensive fish labeled as cheaper fish.

So like if you get sick after eating sushi, it's probably not the tuna; it's probably that you got a shittier fish, usually escolar (which is banned in Japan, if that's any indication). Red snapper and catfish are often actually tilapia. And so on. Inside Edition has a piece on that. Olmsted even gives an example of where someone accidentally bought blowfish (which is highly toxic if not prepared correctly) instead of some other fish, because it was labeled as that other fish. And obviously they weren't trained in preparing blowfish, so they got hella sick, but thankfully didn't die. This doesn't even touch on the fact that some (a lot of?) fish that's sold over here comes from fish farms with slave labor. I kind of wish he'd talked more about that.

It also doesn't even begin to touch on how the FDA and I guess (to a lesser extent?) the USDA have really screwed up labeling. Like if you go to Red Lobster and order anything other than actual lobster tail or something, there's a chance none of your stuff has lobsters in it, but rather langostino, which is related to lobster but not lobster and I guess inferior in pretty much every way. A non-fish related example is also all of the Parmesan that isn't actually Parmesan. Parmesan is actually a really specific cheese from a specific place (Parma, Italy) that has been made with a specific process. But you can sell Parmesan here in the states and it's pretty much any cheese, and sometimes doesn't have very much real cheese in it (or none). Back to the fish, people are also allowed to soak, for example, scallops, with saline to make them look bigger and better than they are. So if you've ever cooked scallops and they didn't sear properly, that'd be because of where you got them from. These are all forms of fraud, Olmsted argues, but the FDA, who has jurisdiction in this area, doesn't really do anything about it. In fact the FDA inspects something like 1-2% of our fish. That's it.

Oddly enough he also says that big box stores like Walmart are safer to shop for fish in; because they're such big companies, they have a lot of pull when it comes to requiring fish to be labeled and caught appropriately. He also does list some ways to feel safer about shopping for fish at the market, including looking for specific labels and coloring and such. He didn't really have any suggestions for restaurants though, other than the farm to fork thing you mentioned. He did mention one expert in the field will not order anything with shrimp in it because so much of it is farmed and imported from places where slave labor is used. He also says never ever order red snapper because your chances of actually getting it are pretty much 0.

So I mean he has suggestions, I guess, I just feel like a lot of them are "don't do this" suggestions and not "do this" suggestions. At least for the fish chapter, it seems like we're so unfamiliar with what fish should taste like that it's really easy to fake it. Like if I tried to sell you a chicken stew and told you it was beef stew, you'd know and be like wtf are you on. Or even like, most people can tell turkey and chicken apart to some extent. But most of us can't tell grouper from red snapper from tuna from catfish from tilapia. We might be able to guess something isn't tuna, but we would probably have to do that from taste. So with fish at least it does seem to be difficult to prevent fraud other than from the top. I feel like some of his other chapters might have more actionable steps.

So yeah, there are parts of the book so far where I'm like, mmmkay, sure buddy, but it is pretty good so far. I would want to read someone else's perspective first before drawing a line in the sand on any particular issue, but as he points out, we do have a Presidential Task Force on Illegal, Unreported, and Unregulated Seafood Fraud as of 2014, and for the president of a country to decide this is a big enough problem to make a task force about it, there is definitely a problem.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zeroh13 said:

This is very very true where I live.  I'm right on the coast and we have loads of fresh fish, but a lot of the times you really have to pay for it.....

7 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

It also doesn't even begin to touch on how the FDA and I guess (to a lesser extent?) the USDA have really screwed up labeling. Like if you go to Red Lobster and order anything other than actual lobster tail or something, there's a chance none of your stuff has lobsters in it, but rather langostino, which is related to lobster but not lobster and I guess inferior in pretty much every way. A non-fish related example is also all of the Parmesan that isn't actually Parmesan. Parmesan is actually a really specific cheese from a specific place (Parma, Italy) that has been made with a specific process. But you can sell Parmesan here in the states and it's pretty much any cheese, and sometimes doesn't have very much real cheese in it (or none). Back to the fish, people are also allowed to soak, for example, scallops, with saline to make them look bigger and better than they are. So if you've ever cooked scallops and they didn't sear properly, that'd be because of where you got them from. These are all forms of fraud, Olmsted argues, but the FDA, who has jurisdiction in this area, doesn't really do anything about it. In fact the FDA inspects something like 1-2% of our fish. That's it.

I remember reading a lot about this too and it just makes me facepalm.  So much deceit, sigh.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

Red snapper and catfish are often actually tilapia.

This is super interesting to me. As someone who has caught and cleaned her own catfish, there is a pretty big difference between it and tilapia to me. Maybe I'm just a fish snob? What I took from your summary is that when eating at restaurants, choose a "cheaper" fish (like tilapia), because there is a greater chance it really is what they say it is. 

I don't know though, if I'm going to start complaining about the FDA and USDA in terms of food, I'd be complaining about truth in nutrition contents first. I might have to pick up that book though - if it's not too conspiracy theory-ish.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

This is super interesting to me. As someone who has caught and cleaned her own catfish, there is a pretty big difference between it and tilapia to me. Maybe I'm just a fish snob? What I took from your summary is that when eating at restaurants, choose a "cheaper" fish (like tilapia), because there is a greater chance it really is what they say it is. 

I don't know though, if I'm going to start complaining about the FDA and USDA in terms of food, I'd be complaining about truth in nutrition contents first. I might have to pick up that book though - if it's not too conspiracy theory-ish.

I'd say it's more like you've had experience with the actual fish. If you've tasted real tuna you're probably going to be able to tell the difference. It sounds like it's that way with real lobster too. I don't eat crab often, but I can tell the difference between it and imitation crab. And yeah, he recommends that too. If you're eating sushi, don't order white tuna and instead order albacore (which is pink), don't order red snapper, don't order any of those super specialty fish... unless you know for sure that's what you're getting. Like, don't order Kobe beef unless you're at one of the three steakhouses that actually get Japanese beef. (It's illegal to import it anywhere else, I guess, so if you order it from anything that isn't one of those three places, you're not getting it.)

It's not conspiracy theory-ish yet, but I'll let you know if it gets that way. It's interesting either way.

• Like 2

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week - 2/2

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups - 0

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day - 114g. Bought new protein powder today, but haven't used it. Am gonna try it for breakfast tomorrow and see if I hate it too. Whey protein, I think from Pure Protein or something like that. Smells better than the last batch. Would have gotten my old protein but didn't see it this time. I haven't needed it lately, but it's nice to know it's there if I do.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day - 93g. A little higher than I wanted because today we had ramen. I limited what I could by not having a full serving of it, but it still jacked things up a bit.

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge - Still reading Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don't Know What You're Eating and What You Can Do About It by Larry Olmsted. 

Bonus EXP: Any additional books read - 0

Quest 2: Finish up one research project over course of challenge - 0

Bonus EXP: Any additional projects completed - 0

Quest 1: Running, twice a week - 2/2. I didn't end up going to work today because I didn't have to, which means I still haven't accessed the gym. So I ran outside. It was much warmer (20F/-6C vs 3F/-16C lol) outside, but my parents also bought me some running clothes for outside. My dad used to do a lot of running when he was in the military so I guess he gets kind of excited when he hears about me not running on a treadmill or doing races or something. So that's kind of nice. And then when I was done, Schatz came in as I was cooling off (warming up? idk) and said he was proud of me, which took me a bit by surprise. I asked him what he meant and he said, "You work so hard. You went running outside, even though you hate the cold," and gave me a kiss. Warmed the cackles of my heart. Or something. It was super touching though, and made me really happy to hear.

Bonus EXP: Interval training - 0

Quest 2: Stretching, every day - Yep

Bonus EXP: Work on splits - Yep, and my splits are getting pretty good. But I can only hold them for about 6 seconds. Not trying to rush it because pulled muscles are yuck.

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going) - 1/1 (run)

Quest 2: Write two blog posts over course of challenge - 0

Bonus EXP: Any additional blog posts written - 0

---

I took 20 seconds of courage to join this program on campus that I thought was just like a running program or something but apparently I'll get paired with a kinesiology student or something? I don't know. The ad for it said oh this is a group program, we do runs on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays, and I was like, cool. I hate group running but maybe I'll be able to stay  motivated if they do it right. Then I got an email that was like, awesome, here's the paperwork, we'll put together preliminary groups when we have everyone's materials. And I was like cool, let's see what's in here...

A questionnaire about health status and injury. Cool.

Goals. Always a good thing to get people to write out. Cool...

A training program survey about like, what workouts I do now and what barriers I might face. Always good to get people to think about those. Cool.

Informed consent? Buh?

And then the informed consent talks about being given exact personal instructions regarding the amount and kind of exercise I should do, and that I would be working with a student personal trainer with a faculty member providing leadership... And I'm, like, oh, this is a free personal training program, I guess. I thought it was a bunch of assholes getting together to run! :P So I'm okay with that. When I was a resident assistant, one of my residents was a dentistry student, and I let her clean my teeth once and give me advice on flossing and stuff. I don't know if anyone here even remembers, but I also had a body composition test done twice in grad school, both by students. In a lot of ways, the students gave me more respect and attention than a lot of my doctors have. I mean for one they're trying to learn and be impressive and stuff, and I think they're not quite jaded yet and such. So I think I'm okay with that, even if it ends up being one of my students (which I doubt, these are probably students who are further along and thus wouldn't likely be taking the classes I teach right now).

So yeah, I was honest about what I've been doing and how I'm trying to lose about 40lbs and see where I go from there, etc. I mean they're gonna see I'm overweight as it is, so it's good to get that information out there sooner rather than later that I am active and do research on stuff and everything. I don't want to get written off as some lazy fat chick who is in this because ~*~ New Years Resolutions ~*~. Which is a shitty reason to chase someone off anyway, but I've seen it happen too many times. So we'll see what happens there.

Also, random, but apparently the 23rd marks two years of being here.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cataleya said:

And I'm, like, oh, this is a free personal training program,

As long as you don't land in the control group...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Cataleya said:

In a lot of ways, the students gave me more respect and attention than a lot of my doctors have. I mean for one they're trying to learn and be impressive and stuff, and I think they're not quite jaded yet and such.

For a lot of things I prefer a Nurse Practitioner or a Physician's Assistant for the same reasons you listed.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Akura said:

As long as you don't land in the control group...

Haha, true, but thankfully this isn't an experiment, so there isn't a control group. The informed consent is basically, "If you get hurt because you didn't follow our advice it's your fault and you won't sue the school."

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

For a lot of things I prefer a Nurse Practitioner or a Physician's Assistant for the same reasons you listed.

Um, yes, 1000x. I've had a couple of nurse practitioners be jerks, but if they were, it was often an indication of the office environment itself.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

Wasn't sure which thread to post this in, but I totally found you on FB. :D 

I wondered if someone might eventually! I was kind of nervous to post in the FB group but since you basically have to pay to get in there, I figured it was pretty safe. (I'm assuming that's where you found me!) We can totally be friends, I just don't like posting too much (specific) personal stuff on here.

• Like 2

Just now, Cataleya said:

I wondered if someone might eventually! I was kind of nervous to post in the FB group but since you basically have to pay to get in there, I figured it was pretty safe. (I'm assuming that's where you found me!) We can totally be friends, I just don't like posting too much (specific) personal stuff on here.

That is totally where I found you! I won't friend you (yet) because I've got a number of NF friends already. But I wanted you to know I know who you are! 

• Like 2

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week - 2/2

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups - 0

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day - 101g.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day - 111g. Had one of my diced ham and onion and Parmesan potatoes for lunch, forgetting that potatoes are kind of high in carbs. I'm okay with it. Still haven't tried the protein powder.

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge - Still reading Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don't Know What You're Eating and What You Can Do About It by Larry Olmsted. 

Bonus EXP: Any additional books read - 0

Quest 1: Running, twice a week - 2/2. 

Bonus EXP: Work on splits - Yep.

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going) - 1/1 (run)

Bonus EXP: Win a match - N/A

---

I did the boss battle for NFA for funsies. Didn't get through, but I think I might make Saturdays optional boss battle days.

Felt a bit anxious today. I know why. It's because I haven't finished up my syllabus for the harder class. The weird thing is it's triggering existential dread as well. Playing a game about a guy who outlived his friends and needs to finish the business they were setting out to do (Breath of the Wild) didn't help with that. I randomly started thinking about how I will feel when my mom dies. (Well, it wasn't entirely random; an event in the game made me think about it.) It was not a fun time. Anyway, I'm gonna read tonight to focus on something more academic, and then in the morning I'm finishing that syllabus. There isn't even much more to do. I'm just procrastinating for some reason.

I've been considering off and on joining the gym that's on the other side of town, where I play tennis and where my coach works. It's an incredibly nice facility that has a lot of amenities and fun sounding classes and workshops. What stops me is that most of my workouts can be done at home and it's on the other side of town, which is a 15 minute drive (assuming no traffic). That doesn't really seem like a lot, probably, but if I'm getting home at like 4 or 5 after a long day, going home, eating maybe, driving down there, working out, showering, coming back, etc. just seems like a lot. There is the gym on campus, which I am for sure going to try. But there's no place to swim on campus, and I've been wanting to get back into swimming, especially if I'm gonna try to learn how to scuba this year. Their place has an indoor-outdoor pool that's really nice, and there are some group classes and stuff. 

I think I'm going to hold off though? I can do most of my workouts either at home or at school, and when it gets warmer, there's a pool at our apartment complex. So there isn't a huge benefit to having a membership other than like, $10 off of the leagues that run through there, which is eh. The only thing that makes me hesitate about the pool at our apartment complex is... Remember that coworker I really don't like? The asshole who doesn't know what they're doing but likes to act like I don't know what I'm doing? Yeah, so guess who lives at my apartment complex. I mean, I think I know where they live because I'm pretty sure I know where their car is parked, the complex is pretty big, and I doubt they'd use the pool. I haven't seen them once since we moved here in August. But I have been a little nervous when I've gone on my runs. I don't really know why, because I honestly don't give a shit what they think about me or the fact I'm exercising or that I'm overweight in the first place. They're supposedly on campus all the time, even really late into the evening (yet somehow they're late to everything), so I really, seriously doubt I'd run into them. But the idea of this person seeing me in a swimsuit makes me a bit leery. So yeah. Lots to ponder.

Tomorrow a group if us are eating at a Chinese restaurant. I figure I'm going to get my favorite thing because I never get to eat there anymore and just eat less of it than I usually do and bring the rest home. I'll also be sure to front load some protein and try to keep carbs low for the rest of the day, but chances are they'll be a bit high tomorrow.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

ve been considering off and on joining the gym that's on the other side of town, where I play tennis and where my coach works. It's an incredibly nice facility that has a lot of amenities and fun sounding classes and workshops. What stops me is that most of my workouts can be done at home and it's on the other side of town, which is a 15 minute drive (assuming no traffic). That doesn't really seem like a lot, probably, but if I'm getting home at like 4 or 5 after a long day, going home, eating maybe, driving down there, working out, showering, coming back, etc. just seems like a lot. There is the gym on campus, which I am for sure going to try. But there's no place to swim on campus, and I've been wanting to get back into swimming, especially if I'm gonna try to learn how to scuba this year. Their place has an indoor-outdoor pool that's really nice, and there are some group classes and stuff. 

I think I'm going to hold off though? I can do most of my workouts either at home or at school, and when it gets warmer, there's a pool at our apartment complex. So there isn't a huge benefit to having a membership other than like, $10 off of the leagues that run through there, which is eh. The only thing that makes me hesitate about the pool at our apartment complex is... Remember that coworker I really don't like? The asshole who doesn't know what they're doing but likes to act like I don't know what I'm doing? Yeah, so guess who lives at my apartment complex. I mean, I think I know where they live because I'm pretty sure I know where their car is parked, the complex is pretty big, and I doubt they'd use the pool. I haven't seen them once since we moved here in August. But I have been a little nervous when I've gone on my runs. I don't really know why, because I honestly don't give a shit what they think about me or the fact I'm exercising or that I'm overweight in the first place. They're supposedly on campus all the time, even really late into the evening (yet somehow they're late to everything), so I really, seriously doubt I'd run into them. But the idea of this person seeing me in a swimsuit makes me a bit leery. So yeah. Lots to ponder.

My two cents on the gym thing. You will know when you are ready when you start feeling "itchy" for more challenge/options than a home workout can provide. Home workouts can be challenging for a long time if you are well-equipped (you have NFA, so that counts), but as you progress the barriers to gymming should look less so. Or that was my experience anyway.

As far as campus asshole goes, I understand the swimsuit thing because people are cruel, but are you gonna let some jackoff darken your mood while trying to better yourself? I say you boldly proceed with your running and damn the torpedoes. You might just do the same with the pool. Whatever you decide, don't give loser opinions a second thought.  

• Like 3

So food fraud update since it seems like a couple of people might be genuinely interested in the topic:

I read the chapter on olive oil, which echoed a lot of the stuff I've heard about olive oil already. Interesting he talked about Italy a lot, but I never really associated olive oil with Italy; I mostly associate it with Greece. That might just be me though? He's not really a conspiracy theorist, it's just mostly, "People aren't doing their jobs." Which, I mean, that's not wrong. I dunno if it was because this was olive oil and people get all high class suddenly when they talk about olive oil, but it read a little more pompous than I would like? Although I did appreciate him saying that just because something is designated protected designation of origin (see below) means it's good. He had some chicken from somewhere that was labeled as such and it just tasted like chicken. Which was kind of amusing. But anyway, olive oil is often rotten or it's cut with other seeds which can be especially problematic for people with allergies to specific types of oils; after all, when you buy olive oil you expect to be getting olive oil. There's also certain processes that these places can go through that makes the olive oil pass inspections at the time they're inspected but they'll be rotten by the time they hit the shelves. 

His advice is basically, if you're in the States, don't buy anything that doesn't say extra virgin because chances are you're not even getting extra virgin anyway, so don't get virgin or pure or ... there was another thing, I don't remember, but basically that stuff couldn't even fake being extra virgin, so it's bound to be ass. In Europe I guess the only two designations are virgin and extra virgin, so if you see it labeled as anything else it's horse shit meant to deceive you. So go for dark glass bottles or even foil covered bottles (? I've never seen these over here, might be only at really fancy places), and only buy as much as you would need for about 6 weeks, because once that bottle is opened the olive oil starts rotting. Oh and the USDA seal is worthless, so ignore that. If you're getting imported oil, focus on finding the EU seals that label it as (1) protected designation of origin, (2) protected geographical indication, or (3) traditional specialties guaranteed. It sounded like he preferred 1 or 2, but I'm not sure if it matters. Oh, and if you're getting imported oil, in the summer you should be looking for oil from the northern hemisphere, and in the winter look for oil in the southern hemisphere, because it's more likely to be fresher. And Chile and Australia make the best olive oil. Apparently.

And never buy truffle oil or order anything with truffle oil in it. It's bullshit.

If you guys like podcasts, I might recommend Gastropod. They have an episode on food fraud here, and it's got other people on it that aren't this guy. Really interesting stuff. Their other episodes are great, too.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Cataleya said:

So go for dark glass bottles or even foil covered bottles (? I've never seen these over here, might be only at really fancy places),

At the grocery stores around me, they're almost always on the top shelf in the olive oil section. 

Quick update on phone because I want to get back to reading about beef.

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week - 2/2

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups - 0

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day - 100g according to app, 101g according to site. Idk man. Anyway, took a little work but I got there.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day - 90g. Kind of surprised? I mean the Chinese place we went to doesn't have their menu on MFP so I had to guess. I could be totally off. But I was pretty good with sticking to what I had planned and ended up having a lot left over, so I am hoping Schatz is happy, since he'll be tasked with eating most of it. (Might have a little for dinner tomorrow because really, there's a lot.)

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge - Still reading Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don't Know What You're Eating and What You Can Do About It by Larry Olmsted. 

Bonus EXP: Any additional books read - 0

Quest 1: Running, twice a week - 2/2. 

Bonus EXP: Work on splits - Yep.

Bonus EXP: Win a match - N/A

---

Girls Night was a success. Dinner was a bit weird; our server wasn't that great which is unusual for the place and the girl who suggested going there forgot that she complained the whole time the last time she was there with us because she apparently doesn't eat fruit or anything green or... really anything but I guess hates Chinese food too. But she did eat a crab rangoon which genuinely surprised me and did eat some of her sweet and sour chicken. (She suggested we go there because it popped up on her memories on Facebook and she remembered loving the table I guess? I dunno.) We had fun playing scattergories though.

One of the girls also is going through some really tough times right now (she suffers from a few mental health issues and had to be checked in a few weeks ago I guess), and she apologized for something she didn't do so we had a brief talk about how I would have told her if I'd been hurt by her and that I'm there for support and the like. I need to remember to check in on her more often but I get so wrapped up in my own shit. Blegh. Note to self: do better.

Next month we're seeing a horror movie so that's gonna be something.

One of my classes starts tomorrow. I'm less nervous about it than the other class but I just really want the students to like the class and not feel overwhelmed like so many students are nowadays. We'll see how it goes.

Tennis is tomorrow. I'm a sub; this time around subs are invited to do a clinic at 7, and players play matches at 630. Subs rotate every week. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Oh and tapatalk doesn't let me quote multiple posts I guess, so to answer some posts today, I shop mostly at Wal-Mart but for olive oil I might try going to a fancier place. We'll see.

And I don't really care what this person thinks, I think I'm just anticipating them... I dunno, doing or saying something. I really should stop doing that. This person isn't always awful to be around or anything, they just clearly think they should be in charge of making decisions all the time. I've talked about working out around them before (they at least feigned mild interest) and have even offered to teach one of their children who apparently is interested in tennis. So they're not a horrible person. I think my recent experiences still have me a bit stressed out for some reason and that's influencing the way I've been thinking.

Anyway, back to reading.

• Like 5