Cataleya

Cataleya, Ninja Extraordinaire

Weekly summary:

Measurement Spreadsheet

Weight 01.01.2018: 203.6 lbs

Weight 01.08.2018: 202.2 lbs

Other measurements in spreadsheet.

TANK: WARRIOR

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week: Accomplished. Did 2/2 and a boss battle on Saturday. Bodyweight workout level 1 on NFA feels pretty easy, but I was a bit sore after doing them, and my AMRAPs are still a bit low, especially plank, which is kind of odd historically but it is what it is. (I guess plank would be more AMTAP?)

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups: I did not do this at all, which is fine but unfortunate. I've been thinking about getting a pull up bar but will need to go back to the topic I created about it a long time ago and see what people recommended. Preferably not something I need to drill into my door frame. I don't think my renters would mind it but I'd rather not do that if I don't have to.

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day: I did this every day. Average for the week was 105g. And I've been doing a lot better about not having to scarf down protein at the end of the day (I didn't do that once, actually), which I think was making me sick of everything. Got new protein powder, used it once, and it's not bad when thrown in with some milk and frozen strawberries. I look forward to trying to maintain this.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day: I did this every day. Average for the week was 95g, actually, which was surprising. In fact, looking at my daily spread over the past week, protein was equal to or higher than carbs 5 out 7 days. Not bad.

Verdict: 

giphy.gif

Killed it.

HEALER: SCHOLAR

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge: Working on it. Hoping to finish the fake food book this week, and then see if I can finish anything else by the end of the month.

Bonus EXP: Any additional books read: Not yet, for obvious reasons.

Quest 2: Finish up one research project over course of challenge: I haven't even worked on this, so that's a problem. I've been mostly nervous about classes and such, so I blame, that, but hopefully this week I can start getting back into the swing of things.

Bonus EXP: Any additional projects completed: Not yet, for obvious reasons.

Verdict:

giphy.gif

Just prepping. Get ready for the real fun. 

DPS: NINJA

Quest 1: Running, twice a week: I did this. One day wasn't the most amazing, because I didn't plan ahead in terms of amount of light outside, but I made it work and things were okay. Got 10k steps each day, too, which isn't technically part of this challenge but still a yay thing.

Bonus EXP: Interval training: Nope.

Quest 2: Stretching, every day: Yep.

Bonus EXP: Work on splits: There was only one day that I didn't. I feel better doing this. 

Verdict:

tumblr_op4m5uCeag1v2w9eko1_400.gif

Blowin' it up.

DPS: BARD

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going): I did in fact replace tennis with running for this and ended up going running despite it being cold as balls outside. I am proud of myself.

Bonus EXP: Win a match: N/A

Quest 2: Write two blog posts over course of challenge: I haven't done this yet. Hoping to do one this week.

Bonus EXP: Any additional blog posts written: Not yet, for obvious reasons.

Verdict:

giphy.gif

Gearing up but not quite there.

Looking ahead: Classes start this week, so I'm hoping I can keep up the momentum I've been building with regard to my nutrition. Hoping I can have just as strong of a week this week as I did last week, if not better since all the meetups and stuff seem to be over with. Also hoping to finish that fake food book and maybe start on something else, but that won't be a priority. I only need to finish one book this challenge, so I should focus on some of my other goals. I do really need to get on both myself and my collaborators about the research projects we've been working on, and hopefully I can finish something up by challenge's end. That would be really nice, in any case. Running has been going fine, and stretching has been going fine, so hopefully I can keep up with that. Tennis is today, so that'll be checked off right away, but since I'm a sub this week it'll be a clinic and not a match, so that's fine.As for the blog posts, well, I do need to get on that. I have ideas, and I might even have a draft somewhere, but I really just gotta finish it. So I have my work cut out for me this week.

Alright, let's move out!

giphy.gif

• Like 8

You're doing awesome and I say your prep for class starting should sub in for research work for Week 1 because kind of important to having the wherewithal to do bonus work and getting your new class off the ground is mission critical, butwhatdoIknow. Keep on killing it.

• Like 2

You're doing awesome and I say your prep for class starting should sub in for research work for Week 1 because kind of important to having the wherewithal to do bonus work and getting your new class off the ground is mission critical, butwhatdoIknow. Keep on killing it.
Actually that's a super good idea. I might make that my project for this challenge. Prep for these classes.
  • Like 3

500.gif

Tennis, y'all.

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week - I'm actually not sure what we're doing tomorrow but if it's not running I will just do this at the gym.

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups - see above

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day - 103g. I forgot to eat lunch which was a problem, but got a protein shake from the tennis place after my clinic session. I really enjoyed it. It was a scoop of vanilla protein powder, some unsweetened almond milk, half a banana, and scoop of peanut butter. Maybe I just need to mix up my protein shakes more.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day - Right at 100g.

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge - Still reading Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don't Know What You're Eating and What You Can Do About It by Larry Olmsted. 

Bonus EXP: Any additional books read - 0

Quest 2: Finish up one research project over course of challenge - I'm changing this to prepping for my classes because I will have at least two publications submitted by the end just because of where the projects are at, so I need to focus on teaching.

Bonus EXP: Any additional projects completed - 0

Quest 1: Running, twice a week - So I'm supposed to be on campus tomorrow at 6:30am, which means I'm rolling out of bed and into gym clothes and into my car. FML. I think we're running but it's not fully clear; it might just be an orientation of sorts. If it's the former, I guess I'm running. If it's the latter, I will do strength training instead like I would normally do.

Bonus EXP: Interval training - 0

Quest 2: Stretching, every day - Yep. I needed it today. Damn.

Bonus EXP: Work on splits - Yep.

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going) - 1/1. So I was a sub this week, and if subs aren't needed or your team isn't playing (since there's only three teams this league) you get to do a clinic instead, which is new this go around. I thought it would only be an hour but happily it was 90 minutes. League is nine weeks and $90 which is not a lot in the long run ($10 a week is a steal really) but still a decent amount of money to put down, so I was ready to leave it all on the court, and I think I did. The trainer complimented me and my teammate afterward for our hard work. The other three ladies, however, were a little less enthused. One I kind of understand, because I guess she had Barre in the morning and then another training session with this guy earlier in the day. I guess she just spends all day at the gym? So she was tired, which made her a little whiny, which whatever. But the other two were also a bit whiny, and one was even a half hour late (I guess she's on PTA which that's fine). Then at the end they were like we're done and left 15 minutes early, so it was just me and my teammate, who were like shit I paid $90 for this I'm getting every minute I can. I don't mean to sound judgmental but they were all very nice and complimented people on good form and stuff but seemed kind of naturally well-to-do, at least the Barre lady, who was just like, "I'm so tired, I guess I'll take tomorrow off!" My teammate leaned over to me and was like, "Shit I worked all day and have work tomorrow. I wish I could just take off because I worked out too hard." And then there's me, asking the trainer a million questions. I think my serve got better but it'll take time and practice to see if the training sticks.

Bonus EXP: Win a match - N/A

Quest 2: Write two blog posts over course of challenge - 0

Bonus EXP: Any additional blog posts written - 0

---

My ass is finishing up this protein shake and trying to go to sleep.

Oh, and my favorite part of all of this: I told Schatz of my plans tomorrow and without hesitation he's just like, "You're gonna have a long day tomorrow."

tenor.gif

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going) - 1/1. So I was a sub this week, and if subs aren't needed or your team isn't playing (since there's only three teams this league) you get to do a clinic instead, which is new this go around. I thought it would only be an hour but happily it was 90 minutes. League is nine weeks and $90 which is not a lot in the long run ($10 a week is a steal really) but still a decent amount of money to put down, so I was ready to leave it all on the court, and I think I did. The trainer complimented me and my teammate afterward for our hard work. The other three ladies, however, were a little less enthused. One I kind of understand, because I guess she had Barre in the morning and then another training session with this guy earlier in the day. I guess she just spends all day at the gym? So she was tired, which made her a little whiny, which whatever. But the other two were also a bit whiny, and one was even a half hour late (I guess she's on PTA which that's fine). Then at the end they were like we're done and left 15 minutes early, so it was just me and my teammate, who were like shit I paid $90 for this I'm getting every minute I can. I don't mean to sound judgmental but they were all very nice and complimented people on good form and stuff but seemed kind of naturally well-to-do, at least the Barre lady, who was just like, "I'm so tired, I guess I'll take tomorrow off!" My teammate leaned over to me and was like, "Shit I worked all day and have work tomorrow. I wish I could just take off because I worked out too hard." And then there's me, asking the trainer a million questions. I think my serve got better but it'll take time and practice to see if the training sticks.

Maaaan I think this is why I would be a poor candidate for group sports, I woulda fumed at those ladies the entire time.  But you two did yo thang and ROCKED IT!!!!

I used to play tennis, it was so fun, I was terrible at it but I had a blast so I guess that's half the battle???

• Like 2

3 hours ago, raptron said:

Oh man, getting a clinic if you don't get to play sounds like a great deal.

It really is! I don't know exactly how much these sessions run for, but I imagine $20 would be on the cheap end. This is a higher end place than I anticipated when we started playing here, so it's probably way more than that.

13 minutes ago, shaar said:

Maaaan I think this is why I would be a poor candidate for group sports, I woulda fumed at those ladies the entire time.  But you two did yo thang and ROCKED IT!!!!

I used to play tennis, it was so fun, I was terrible at it but I had a blast so I guess that's half the battle???

This is actually the first time I've run into anyone like this since I started doing league in August or September or whenever it was, and it wasn't terrible, it just kind of reminded me that some people just have different priorities, and that I often find those priorities stupid but that's their right, or whatever. I enjoyed playing with them, when they weren't complaining, which was to be fair most of the time. It's just that when they did, I was like

200w_d.gif

I actually was kind of annoyed with my teammate when we first started because I thought she didn't care. Occasionally, we would be doubles partners, and she'd miss the ball and be like, "I should have gotten that," or she'd hit a ball that was clearly going out straight into the net and be like, "Oh." I found out that she's just not very good (I'm 2.5 or 3.0 or something, and she's like a 1.5) and just kind of has a sardonic personality, so that was probably mostly her just thinking out loud. I was actually kind of surprised she was playing our league, but maybe she just doesn't like playing in the lower levels or they don't run as often. She is getting better though, so that's good.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

This is actually the first time I've run into anyone like this since I started doing league in August or September or whenever it was, and it wasn't terrible, it just kind of reminded me that some people just have different priorities, and that I often find those priorities stupid but that's their right, or whatever. I enjoyed playing with them, when they weren't complaining, which was to be fair most of the time.

I guess all you can be guaranteed of is a warm body showing up (eventually) for these things. The people who aren't terribly motivated will eventually fade away, methinks. Or so it is in the dojo.

7 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

I actually was kind of annoyed with my teammate when we first started because I thought she didn't care. Occasionally, we would be doubles partners, and she'd miss the ball and be like, "I should have gotten that," or she'd hit a ball that was clearly going out straight into the net and be like, "Oh." I found out that she's just not very good (I'm 2.5 or 3.0 or something, and she's like a 1.5) and just kind of has a sardonic personality, so that was probably mostly her just thinking out loud. I was actually kind of surprised she was playing our league, but maybe she just doesn't like playing in the lower levels or they don't run as often. She is getting better though, so that's good.

To be fair, I keep a running dialogue on my own performance when I'm practicing Aikido technique and it sounds a lot like what you're recounting.  It can get very sarcastic. We all handle self-evaluation differently and I like to broadcast it for confirmation from my partner or nearby Sensei. Also a means of diffusing anxiety + fishing for help in new situations/techniques. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I was actually kind of surprised she was playing our league, but maybe she just doesn't like playing in the lower levels or they don't run as often. She is getting better though, so that's good.

Maybe she wasn't getting better playing in the lower levels?

4 hours ago, shaar said:

It was the same with me. And I was just playing against my aunt during the summer when I was visiting, and she was way worse than me. (There's a lot of parks with tennis courts around where she lives. I lived in a tennis free wasteland.) 

• Like 2

Quick update for yesterday before I go teach.

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week - Moved to Wednesday

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups - see above

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day - 101g.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day - 90g.

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge - Still reading Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don't Know What You're Eating and What You Can Do About It by Larry Olmsted. 

Quest 2: Consistently prep for classes - Monday and Tuesday were "Syllabus day" so there wasn't too much prep work needed. Today starts actual lectures. One class meets MWF, the other TR. The harder class that everyone is nervous about is TR. I checked in with them regarding how they felt about the class before we started, and got the answers I thought I was going to get ("I'm afraid to fail the class," etc.) and at the end I asked if they felt more or less nervous now. I was met with mostly silence, but then someone piped up in a hopeful voice, "I'm not sure?" I'll take it.

Bonus EXP: Any projects completed - 0

Quest 1: Running, twice a week - We did meet and go over some stuff, and then we did a timed mile. I'm kind of surprised mine was as fast as it was, which wasn't really all that fast. 13:20. I thought it would definitely be closer to like, 15:00 or even 17:00. I'm also oddly sore today which is weird, especially in my core which is weird because we did warm ups and cool downs but not necessarily anything with our core.

Bonus EXP: Interval training - 0

Quest 2: Stretching, every day - Yep.

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going) - 1/1. 

---

I feel fucking gross you guys. TOM came yesterday, which is two days earlier than usual. Not in the abnormal range, and neither is the discomfort, though the latter is more than usual. I wonder if the mix of not having BC last month and then getting back on it this month because of dumb doctor drama and the probably drastic reduction in stress that came with being in grad school had any effect. I also weighed myself casually yesterday (I do every day just to kind of see what my body is doing, but I only log on Mondays) and I had dropped down about 1.4lbs to 201 which I thought was odd and maybe a blip, but then I was 201 again today. I had heard losing weight can also wreak a bit of havoc with periods so maybe all of those factors are combining to make me feel gross. (It's also possible I was artificially higher on Monday but I thought it was a similar reading to Sunday, so idk.) I still did my strength training today in the morning and casually biked for a half hour but it took me a long time to get up and I still don't really feel like doing anything and I teach in less than an hour.

Maybe I can just show up to class and be like

giphy.gif

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

Quest 2: Consistently prep for classes - Monday and Tuesday were "Syllabus day" so there wasn't too much prep work needed. Today starts actual lectures. One class meets MWF, the other TR. The harder class that everyone is nervous about is TR. I checked in with them regarding how they felt about the class before we started, and got the answers I thought I was going to get ("I'm afraid to fail the class," etc.) and at the end I asked if they felt more or less nervous now. I was met with mostly silence, but then someone piped up in a hopeful voice, "I'm not sure?" I'll take it.

Aw, they're so precious.

36 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

I feel fucking gross you guys. TOM came yesterday, which is two days earlier than usual. Not in the abnormal range, and neither is the discomfort, though the latter is more than usual. I wonder if the mix of not having BC last month and then getting back on it this month because of dumb doctor drama and the probably drastic reduction in stress that came with being in grad school had any effect. I also weighed myself casually yesterday (I do every day just to kind of see what my body is doing, but I only log on Mondays) and I had dropped down about 1.4lbs to 201 which I thought was odd and maybe a blip, but then I was 201 again today. I had heard losing weight can also wreak a bit of havoc with periods so maybe all of those factors are combining to make me feel gross. (It's also possible I was artificially higher on Monday but I thought it was a similar reading to Sunday, so idk.) I still did my strength training today in the morning and casually biked for a half hour but it took me a long time to get up and I still don't really feel like doing anything and I teach in less than an hour.

Hey, you're down a good bit and you're doing the thing. I don't think it's an accident. Hormone Rebellion club represent. It could swing back up, it could stay stable. At the end of TOM/Shark Week it'll be interesting to see what happens to the number on the scale.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Urgan said:

Hey, you're down a good bit and you're doing the thing. I don't think it's an accident. Hormone Rebellion club represent. It could swing back up, it could stay stable. At the end of TOM/Shark Week it'll be interesting to see what happens to the number on the scale.

Yeah. I weighed again this morning out of curiosity and it was 201.4, but I also overate on the carbs yesterday, so it's hard to really get a feel on what's going on. This might be my new resting place for now? We'll see. (I tend to lose weight really slowly, so even a dip of a few pounds in a week is kind of surprising. Hell, maybe the Metformin is Finally Working(TM).)

For yesterday:

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week - This went pretty well. Well, considering. I was really struggling between sets not to just lay on the floor and sleep because TOM, but I did it, it got done, I moved on. Bodyweight 1A, for the record. I am doing a bit better on the knee pushups. I don't know if I'll ever be good at them, not because my arms are weak but because I fractured my wrist when I was young so it's pretty weak. Maybe next challenge I can break out my theraputty again.

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups - Narp.

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day - 100g. Barely.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day - Yep, overate on carbs for the first time. You see, what had happened was I was at the vending machine trying to get an unsweetened tea because the bistro was closed (it closes at an unreasonable time), and they only had sweet tea. I wasn't actually sure when I got it if it was sweet tea or not because the labels were turned away, but once I saw it was sweet tea, I was like fuck it I'll eat the carbs. Well, it was 48g, so fuck me, lmao. It didn't help that I ate the rest of the sweet and sour chicken (sans rice, because carbs lol) for lunch, which was another estimated 56g carbs. I don't know how accurate that is because it's not a specific sweet and sour chicken, just generic because the place I ate at doesn't have their stuff on MFP yet. But still, between those two that's 104g, which didn't leave me a lot of room. Today should be a lot better.

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge - Still reading Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don't Know What You're Eating and What You Can Do About It by Larry Olmsted. I actually haven't done any reading on it the past few days, which is okay.

Quest 2: Consistently prep for classes - I did prep yesterday. (Trying to not talk about today yet lol.) I think lecture went okay, and I'm hoping my evaluations for this class are better than last semester (they were fine last semester, but I want to keep improving). 

Quest 1: Running, twice a week - That's Thursdays.

Bonus EXP: Saturday meet - This is switched to Saturday meet because I am not a cardio bunny, nor do I want to be a cardio bunny, so this meet is going to be optional. For more clarification, this group runs Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. So Saturday will be optional.

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going) - 1/1. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

Yeah. I weighed again this morning out of curiosity and it was 201.4, but I also overate on the carbs yesterday, so it's hard to really get a feel on what's going on. This might be my new resting place for now? We'll see. (I tend to lose weight really slowly, so even a dip of a few pounds in a week is kind of surprising. Hell, maybe the Metformin is Finally Working(TM).)

Likely water fluctuation is playing some role in day-to-day weight changes, too. You have made quite a few very systemic changes--not drastic changes, but we're talking attacking the problem from multiple angles--and some of them are going to be more helpful than others. You're doing science over there. 

15 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week - This went pretty well. Well, considering. I was really struggling between sets not to just lay on the floor and sleep because TOM, but I did it, it got done, I moved on. Bodyweight 1A, for the record. I am doing a bit better on the knee pushups. I don't know if I'll ever be good at them, not because my arms are weak but because I fractured my wrist when I was young so it's pretty weak. Maybe next challenge I can break out my theraputty again.

The only way to help a weak joint is to get the muscles around it good and strong. It may be hard mode, but you can always work on taking your upper body strength to the next level. Hell, whether you ever love pushups really doesn't matter, right now they're your chosen "in" for self-improvement and later you can do something else if they never prove their worth to you. 

• Like 2

For Thursday and Friday and Saturday:

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week - Tomorrow.

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups - Narp.

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day - 102, 101, 93. We kind of got snowed in and I didn't plan ahead to get high protein foods so it got worse as time went on and I had to rely on potatoes and other random stuff to get calories in. I also just didn't really feel like eating yesterday, so I respected that. I plan on stopping by the store today, so I can pick up some stuff to help with protein. Suggestions welcome, though I think I want to stay away from protein powder in general from here on out. Except maybe on days I play tennis, cause that shake was good.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day - 101, 122, 128. Same issues as before. My calories were like 1400, 1600, and 1400, so it wasn't really that I ate more but just where it came from. Also I ate an apple the two days I went over and that alone was like 22g carbs which what.

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge - Still reading Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don't Know What You're Eating and What You Can Do About It by Larry Olmsted. Still haven't done any reading on it the past few days. Was going to, but fell asleep.

Quest 2: Consistently prep for classes - I meant to prep on our snow day but ended up cleaning and doing other stuff, which is also important. I'll probably do some prep today and tomorrow.

Quest 1: Running, twice a week - Ran Thursday. We did 1.75miles. I walked a good chunk of it. I started out fine but about a half mile in my uterus was like FUCK YOU MAN so I took it easy. Normally the BC helps a lot with this but I think the lapse in medication + significant reduction in stress + exercise and diet factors might have my reproductive system in shock lol. Still, I did it, so yay. I also realized as we were doing our warm up dynamic stretches or whatever that oh, this is why I was so sore. So that's something.

Bonus EXP: Saturday meet - I don't know if they met but everything was closed so I imagine it was canceled. I guess I'll find out Tuesday. I'm apparently not getting all of the emails though because some workout calendar was sent around and I haven't gotten it. I've been getting my 10k steps in per day so I don't really care I guess. Getting a lot of use of this pedal thing (which I'm using right now actually). Who knows if it's actually helping, lol.

---

Weight has been all over the place. 203 yesterday, 201 today. Today should end the Week of the Beast so we'll see what I clock in at tomorrow. *shrug*

Monday I play 3 Doubles with the person who was hauling ass with me this past week. Hopefully she brings that again this week.

Schatz and I finally set a date for our wedding. It will be in June. I was not nervous when we made the decision but now I am nervous that I won't lose enough weight/gain enough muscle/whatever to be satisfied with how I look. Which is silly considering we are having a really small wedding (our parents, his sister, my best friend who I consider a sister and her husband, and that's assuming everyone can make it). Getting married this summer will allow Schatz to return to school in the fall for a fairly steep discount, which I hope will greatly improve his mood and general happiness, as he has been wanting to complete a degree for a while but various things prevented that from happening the first go around. I think Schatz is nervous I am giving up my childhood dream of my wedding being a big event where all of my friends could meet each other, etc etc etc, but I'm mostly okay with it. I don't actually like being the center of attention all that much, and I know he doesn't either, and I know myself well enough to know I would spend the whole time monitoring his emotional reactions. I do wish there was an opportunity for my friends to all meet each other, since I have friends from around the world and such, but I'm assuming here they all could make it, which is a pipe dream in and of itself. Not to mention it would be expensive and no one in my family or his has the money to make that happen.

What this is making me do is recognize that there's a lot of pressure for brides to be beautiful, which I never really thought about before if I'm being honest. Now that the wedding had gone from "an indeterminate amount of time away" to "five months away" I feel a pressure to lose weight that wasn't there before. Like I want to lose weight, of course, but I didn't really have a "by x date" clause on there. I figured I would do what I could and get where I could and I'd get there when I got there. Now I feel a vague sense of "let's see 20 weeks at 1lb a week... or even 2lb a week if I can manage it..." Maybe this will be helpful in that it will motivate (I hate that word) me to stick to plans when I might otherwise be fine with making excuses. I will have to keep an eye out for anything that starts to become unhealthy or unhelpful.

We haven't talked about if we'll have a honeymoon or what that would look like. I imagine that'll be a discussion for a bit closer to the time.

My mom invited me to this bride expo thing that starts in a few hours where they live. I think I'm going to go but I am a little nervous that people are going to try to talk me into something big and expensive. I still want to wear a dress (that is a silly dream pushed on us by society that I don't want to give up just yet lol) but I've never wanted anything too huge or flashy. I know I don't have to decide today, so that's good. I should decide soon since I need to give them time to do whatever, but I'm not too freaked out just yet. We'll see how I feel after the expo, lol. I just need to remember that I will look better in June than I do now, because I will put in the work. Not for the wedding, but for myself and my health. Trying on clothes is so depressing for me but hopefully since I'm really excited for this, it won't be too bad.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cataleya said:

What this is making me do is recognize that there's a lot of pressure for brides to be beautiful, which I never really thought about before if I'm being honest. Now that the wedding had gone from "an indeterminate amount of time away" to "five months away" I feel a pressure to lose weight that wasn't there before. Like I want to lose weight, of course, but I didn't really have a "by x date" clause on there. I figured I would do what I could and get where I could and I'd get there when I got there. Now I feel a vague sense of "let's see 20 weeks at 1lb a week... or even 2lb a week if I can manage it..." Maybe this will be helpful in that it will motivate (I hate that word) me to stick to plans when I might otherwise be fine with making excuses. I will have to keep an eye out for anything that starts to become unhealthy or unhelpful.

Congrats on picking a date. That is a big step and the first step if often the hardest, right? Commitment. Well now you're committed. IMO weddings are like powerlifting meets. Like, you want to feel and look your best for the big day (because LBR everybody wants to look their best, they just go about it wrong/unhealthily) and if you do your very best you can be satisfied that that was as far as you could take your journey up to June (June is a soon-ish wedding date as these things go, so a smaller event is way more manageable with that time frame). You can't hurry up weight loss except by being consistent and smart and having reasonable plans, of course duh. You're getting married. Stress will happen. You might well not hit an arbitrary goal weight but you can be sure that you are the best version of you ever. 

• Like 3

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week - Just remembered to do it as I thought about updating today. Yay for forgetfulness! The planks were easier this time though.

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups - Narp. I should really switch this to something I'll do; right now I'm not in a position to do work on this so I'm not sure what I was thinking. Maybe starting tomorrow I'll count this for theraputty usage, since my wrists could use some help.

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day - 65g. I would like to say in my defense that a - I was out most of the day and b - I didn't eat much at all today. I just wasn't really hungry? Which is weird. I think it's because I've been so inactive (comparatively speaking anyway) the past few days, combined with Shark Week winding down. MFP was yelling at me for getting less than 1000 calories by like, I dunno, 50 calories or something, so I added another half a tablespoon to my apple + peanut butter snack I just had, just to get it to stop yelling. Which, woe is me, I had to eat another half tablespoon of delicious nut butter so an app would stop complaining. I did not end up making it to the store, and I'm supposed to be having a luncheon tomorrow (it's also supposed to start snowing again here in the wee hours so we'll see) so it might be rough for another day. 

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day - 85g, partially thanks to another apple. Seriously, the apple snack is apparently like 32g. Take that out and I had almost nothing to eat today. I just wasn't hungry. So weird.

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge - Still reading Real Food/Fake Food: Why You Don't Know What You're Eating and What You Can Do About It by Larry Olmsted. Gonna try to do some more reading, as this is the first night in the past three that I haven't wanted to pass out at like 9:30. What a weird couple of days, in hindsight.

Quest 2: Consistently prep for classes - Did not prep today but will definitely prep tomorrow, considering I teach again on Tuesday. 

Quest 1: Running, twice a week - 2/2

Bonus EXP: Saturday meet - N/A

Bonus EXP: Work on splits - Yep. Am up to being able to hold the front splits pretty deeply for about 10 seconds.

---

9 hours ago, Urgan said:

IMO weddings are like powerlifting meets. Like, you want to feel and look your best for the big day (because LBR everybody wants to look their best, they just go about it wrong/unhealthily) and if you do your very best you can be satisfied that that was as far as you could take your journey up to June (June is a soon-ish wedding date as these things go, so a smaller event is way more manageable with that time frame). You can't hurry up weight loss except by being consistent and smart and having reasonable plans, of course duh. You're getting married. Stress will happen. You might well not hit an arbitrary goal weight but you can be sure that you are the best version of you ever. 

I like the comparison to a powerlifting meet, and will mentally use that when I'm starting to freak out. It is kind of a short planning period, but we really don't want to make a big deal out of it. I want to go to the courthouse, say some nice things or have them said or whatever, maybe take some pictures, and go eat somewhere fun (I was thinking a hibachi grill that's pretty good and has a private room for up to 14 guests which we would definitely fit but I haven't run it past Schatz yet). Then, if we decide to have a honeymoon, go on that. I would like to do a cruise but I dunno. And yeah, I'll lose what I can because who doesn't want to look great on their wedding, but it doesn't help that MFP keeps telling me I'll weigh less than 180lbs in five weeks if this keeps up and I'm like maYBE IF I WAS NORMAL YOU PIECE OF SHIT. (It doesn't actually bother me but I like to yell at MFP, as you can probably tell.)

Anyway, went to the Expo. It was fairly small compared to what I was expecting, I guess. I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting given the venue, but there was really only one business for each thing (e.g. catering, bakery, jewelry, winery, etc., might have been two dress stores). Used 20 seconds of courage to stare at one dress thing from afar, get noticed, and respond when spoken to. (I'd say 20SOC to approach but let's be real I was scared shitless.) Talked to them, they seemed entirely unphased by a June wedding (mostly what I was nervous about), and we booked an appointment for this coming Saturday, though it looks like that won't work for Schatz's mom and she really wants to be a part of the dress selection process (I want her to be involved as well, so it's mutual there), so I have emailed them to ask if we can do the 27th instead. I actually wish the 20th had worked because I'm nervous and want to get this over with, though my mom and future mother in law are probably the best people to go shopping with because they are not only honest but also just really supportive and low maintenance. So I think that will go well. I know I don't have to buy a dress that day, but if I can find one that would be nice. Oh, right, if I do end up getting a dress from that place, I get free earrings, which is cute. That was my prize for booking an appointment with them, got to pull it out of an envelope and everything. And my future sister in law wants pictures during the process of dress shopping but is in school out of state right now, so I'm gonna have future MIL chat with her during that time haha.

Nothing else there really interested me; we aren't booking a DJ or an event hall or anything like that. I'm not buying any jewelry just yet, though Schatz and I should look at wedding bands at some point. Looked at a cake place I'm not going to use, not because they were bad or mean, but I think we already know who we want to use. And saw my dentist's assistant there, as she was working a booth. Entered their drawing for a his and her Sonicare. I almost thought about saying since my parents and I are her favorite patients, I should win by default, but instead we chit chatted about family and commented on the runway show going on at that time. These things are crazy.

Anyway, because that didn't take as long as I thought it would, I called up my massage therapist friend and asked if she was free to do my monthly massage today. She was, so I went there and had that done. She worked on my knee a bit, and it does feel better and popped rather nicely after the massage. So did my back, but it always pops after a massage and feels wonderful. I stayed with them and chatted for a few hours, and then headed home before the snow was supposed to start. (I can't tell if it's started yet or not. Maybe it won't snow at all. Who knows?)

Now to read for the first time in like a week or something.

• Like 5

I'll be honest, I went to a wedding expo with my sister and pretended I was getting married as well just for free things! Awesome job using 20 seconds on courage this weekend. :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

I'll be honest, I went to a wedding expo with my sister and pretended I was getting married as well just for free things! Awesome job using 20 seconds on courage this weekend. :) 

Oh man this is brilliant. XD

Congrats on setting a date!!  AND using your 20SOC!!  I'm sure it's overwhelming but you are more than capable; one thing at a time, yeah?

• Like 2

Weekly summary:

Measurement Spreadsheet

Weight 01.01.2018: 203.6 lbs

Weight 01.08.2018: 202.2 lbs

Weight 01.15.2018: 200.6 lbs

Other measurements in spreadsheet.

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week: Accomplished. Not really much to say here, other than it was easier. I don't like waiting until Sunday to do my second strength day, so I'm going to need to figure something out or suck it up and do it on Sundays. I feel like my posture is improving though.

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups: Yeah, in order for this to be useful, I need a bar at home. Haven't stepped foot into a gym.

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day:  5/7 days if I'm counting right. Hoping to do better this week, but to be fair, I guess, the snow did mess some stuff up for me. I didn't get into the store on Thursday (when it would have been hell anyway) so Friday - Sunday were pretty much a bust. The fact I still made it at least one of those days is nice. Average was 95g thanks to the really low amount yesterday; taking that out and my average is right at 100g. I won't leave it out, because that's not honest, but I still think it's fair to acknowledge that one day at 66g really pulled my average down.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day: 4/7 days. Again, snow messed a lot of stuff up, didn't have a good enough backup plan. Average was 110g, even with a couple days out of the loop there, which isn't terrible.

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge: Still working on it. Only read one chapter this past week I think? Maybe two. But being super tired and this book being longer than I thought it was didn't help.

Quest 2: Prep for classes: Success.

Bonus EXP: Any projects completed: Not yet, but a paper is getting published, so that's nice.

Quest 1: Running, twice a week: I did this. The second run was kind of ass, but it happened.

Bonus EXP: Saturday Meet: This did not happen because of snow. I still worked out though, so that was fine.

Bonus EXP: Work on splits: Yep. I'm able to hold them longer, which is nice. I feel like it might also be helping with my lower back? I'm not sure. I've heard the (front) splits are good for your back because of hip flexors and stuff, but I dunno. I just used to be able to do them and miss doing them.

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going): This week was an awesome clinic.

Quest 2: Write two blog posts over course of challenge: I really need to do one here soooooon.

Other things: I did get my monthly massage, which was really nice. I get a full body massage, but she also specifically worked on my pecs a bit and my knee, and all of that felt a lot better afterward. She said she did notice that I seemed a lot more relaxed than she remembered me being before, which we all (my friend, her husband, me) attributed to me not being in graduate school anymore. She also said she's noticing more range of motion, especially in my neck and shoulders, which I attribute to working out and stretching. I hope it gets to a point where she starts to notice my muscles changing and the like. That would be nice.

Wedding planning has officially begun in terms of getting stuff in order. Updates will come as I have them, I suppose. 

Looking ahead: I need to figure out why I'm so damn tired. I feel like I'm mostly eating enough (average for this week was 1390 calories and I haven't felt terribly hungry on that), so maybe it was hormonal or something? It's been so long since I've actually paid attention to my body's functioning that I am just utterly lost as to why I'm tired, especially since it came on kind of suddenly. I don't think I dropped my sugar intake so much that it's making me tired, and my caffeine intake is kind of sporadic; most days I don't get any, or I might have a cup of black tea or something and that's kind of it. I mean otherwise I get like 6-7 hours of sleep a day usually, so I dunno. I've actually gotten more the past few days. Could just be the being cooped up in the house the past few days. We'll see how this week turns out.

Otherwise, I need to get a blog post finished and out the door, and I want to get carbs and protein back on track. I went to the store today, so that should help for the rest of the week. 

I am glad to be down 3lbs over the past two weeks. It'll be nice to hit under 200 again, especially if I can keep it there. Hard to tell exactly what I'm doing right, but whatever combo it is, it's working. I know every week won't be like the last two, but the more I can get like that, the happier I will be, at least at first. Once I'm down a bit more it'll be fine if it slows, but right now I just want less stress on my body overall. It's nice to see I was still losing even though I wasn't sticking to my food goals as well as I wanted to. With the wedding stuff coming into play I will want to make sure I'm making good decisions.

Moving onward and upward!

• Like 7

Today:

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week: Wednesday? I think.

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups:

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day:  113g. Mostly on accident. Carbs were a bit high too, but a bit on that later. Breakfast got me a nice 48g of protein because I finished off my diced ham so I ended up having almost two serving sizes of that.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day: 111g. Managed it despite the fried chicken and cornbread they served at the luncheon I went to today. And the peach pie they had for dessert for lunch. Listen, I don't get peach pie that often, so I had a damn piece. It was pretty good. I probably could have skipped the cornbread (it wasn't that amazing anyway), but I hadn't had it for a while and it wasn't a huge piece, so meh.

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge: Still working on it. 

Quest 2: Prep for classes: Success. Slides are mostly done for tomorrow, and I have some time in the morning to finish that up.

Bonus EXP: Any projects completed: Nope.

Quest 1: Running, twice a week: Tomorrow.

Bonus EXP: Saturday Meet: Not yet.

Bonus EXP: Work on splits: Yep. 

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going): They canceled for today and I didn't really feel like running in place, so I biked for an hour when I only needed about 15 minutes to get to my step goal. Which I hope makes up for me totally spacing on the last 500 steps I needed to do yesterday and just... forgot. I could have, I totally could have, I just spaced.

Quest 2: Write two blog posts over course of challenge: Ugh.

• Like 4

On 1/14/2018 at 11:27 AM, Cataleya said:

Schatz and I finally set a date for our wedding. It will be in June. I was not nervous when we made the decision but now I am nervous that I won't lose enough weight/gain enough muscle/whatever to be satisfied with how I look. Which is silly considering we are having a really small wedding (our parents, his sister, my best friend who I consider a sister and her husband, and that's assuming everyone can make it). Getting married this summer will allow Schatz to return to school in the fall for a fairly steep discount, which I hope will greatly improve his mood and general happiness, as he has been wanting to complete a degree for a while but various things prevented that from happening the first go around. I think Schatz is nervous I am giving up my childhood dream of my wedding being a big event where all of my friends could meet each other, etc etc etc, but I'm mostly okay with it. I don't actually like being the center of attention all that much, and I know he doesn't either, and I know myself well enough to know I would spend the whole time monitoring his emotional reactions. I do wish there was an opportunity for my friends to all meet each other, since I have friends from around the world and such, but I'm assuming here they all could make it, which is a pipe dream in and of itself. Not to mention it would be expensive and no one in my family or his has the money to make that happen.

Catching up! Woot! Congrats for setting a date! My husband and I did something very similar for our wedding and it was absolutely an amazing decision. I didn't have all of the stress that I think accompanies a lot of weddings and was able to spend time enjoying the company more than feeling like I had to monitor and interact with a ton of people.

In terms of having everyone meet each other, why not look at having a secondary reception at a later date to have everyone get together? My aunt and uncle did this (they actually eloped and then had a party when they got back). They had a pig roast at a family farm, so it was cheaper and much less formal. 

• Like 2

~1349 calories a day IS very low and almost definitely why you are tired. If you are  getting the results you want and otherwise aren't seeing your workout performance suffer, you'll probably have to keep sleeping a lot to keep at it with that kind of deficit. 

Congrats on setting a date! I think small weddings make SO MUCH SENSE for so many reasons. If you want to have a huge gathering sometime with all of your friends from around the world, you could do a huge anniversary party for 5 or 10 years or something, especially as your friends will might be in better positions to actually make the trip. :) I have a good friend who is planning that for her anniversary and I think it sounds like a great compromise. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Catching up! Woot! Congrats for setting a date! My husband and I did something very similar for our wedding and it was absolutely an amazing decision. I didn't have all of the stress that I think accompanies a lot of weddings and was able to spend time enjoying the company more than feeling like I had to monitor and interact with a ton of people.

In terms of having everyone meet each other, why not look at having a secondary reception at a later date to have everyone get together? My aunt and uncle did this (they actually eloped and then had a party when they got back). They had a pig roast at a family farm, so it was cheaper and much less formal. 

1 hour ago, raptron said:

~1349 calories a day IS very low and almost definitely why you are tired. If you are  getting the results you want and otherwise aren't seeing your workout performance suffer, you'll probably have to keep sleeping a lot to keep at it with that kind of deficit. 

Congrats on setting a date! I think small weddings make SO MUCH SENSE for so many reasons. If you want to have a huge gathering sometime with all of your friends from around the world, you could do a huge anniversary party for 5 or 10 years or something, especially as your friends will might be in better positions to actually make the trip. :) I have a good friend who is planning that for her anniversary and I think it sounds like a great compromise. 

I think I would like to have an anniversary party at some point, and in a few years I'll be in a better place to host as well. My only concern is with my friends who will be having kids in the next few years and might be less likely to travel then, but it's never going to be a perfect time for everyone, so I should just get over it and throw the party and be happy with who shows up.

I wonder what I should be aiming for, because MFP has my "goal caloric intake" as even lower than what I've been getting, and I haven't really felt hungrier most days, probably because of my higher protein/fat intake. Maybe I should aim for like 1500 or 1600? I can certainly try it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

I wonder what I should be aiming for, because MFP has my "goal caloric intake" as even lower than what I've been getting, and I haven't really felt hungrier most days, probably because of my higher protein/fat intake. Maybe I should aim for like 1500 or 1600? I can certainly try it.

Depending on what your carb levels were before, this can impact feelings of lethargy also. If you aren't feeling hungry and your workouts aren't sufferings, I would wait a week or two and see if you feel the same before doing too much calorie finagling. PCOS is a horrible condition to have when trying to lose weight. :( Also, you said in an earlier post this week that MFP was yelling at you about eating less than 1000 calories, so maybe it was just a combination of all of the above this week?

But you should be able to up the calories and still see weight loss. It's probably more about whether or not the sleepiness is impacting your life. 

• Like 2