• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cataleya

Cataleya, Ninja Extraordinaire

29 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Depending on what your carb levels were before, this can impact feelings of lethargy also. If you aren't feeling hungry and your workouts aren't sufferings, I would wait a week or two and see if you feel the same before doing too much calorie finagling. PCOS is a horrible condition to have when trying to lose weight. :( Also, you said in an earlier post this week that MFP was yelling at you about eating less than 1000 calories, so maybe it was just a combination of all of the above this week?

But you should be able to up the calories and still see weight loss. It's probably more about whether or not the sleepiness is impacting your life. 

That's true. I have probably cut carbs overall by like 30-50%, and my levels are way more consistent now than they were before. For comparison's sake, a random week in November, my counts were anywhere between 111-298g. Last week was a little wonky, so looking at the week before, I ate somewhere in the range of 67-116g. So quite the reduction. If I'm still tired all this week I'll see if upping calories next week will help. I think the 1000 calories thing was a bit of a fluke because I was out and had been cooped up all weekend so I wasn't as active as I wanted to be.

I do feel better today. I didn't want to get out of bed but that's mostly because I knew it was cold af outside and didn't want to go to campus to work out. I did it though, and I'm feeling fine now, though I am a bit tired. Thinking about grabbing an early lunch since I have meetings starting from like 1 until class time at 3. Of course I forgot to actually bring any of the stuff I bought yesterday, so I'm ordering a custom made salad that I think should be good.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, raptron said:

~1349 calories a day IS very low and almost definitely why you are tired. If you are  getting the results you want and otherwise aren't seeing your workout performance suffer, you'll probably have to keep sleeping a lot to keep at it with that kind of deficit. 

1 hour ago, Cataleya said:

I wonder what I should be aiming for, because MFP has my "goal caloric intake" as even lower than what I've been getting, and I haven't really felt hungrier most days, probably because of my higher protein/fat intake. Maybe I should aim for like 1500 or 1600? I can certainly try it.

57 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Depending on what your carb levels were before, this can impact feelings of lethargy also. If you aren't feeling hungry and your workouts aren't sufferings, I would wait a week or two and see if you feel the same before doing too much calorie finagling. PCOS is a horrible condition to have when trying to lose weight. :( Also, you said in an earlier post this week that MFP was yelling at you about eating less than 1000 calories, so maybe it was just a combination of all of the above this week?

But you should be able to up the calories and still see weight loss. It's probably more about whether or not the sleepiness is impacting your life. 

MFP is a lying POS. Full stop.

Okay, so a little more nuanced response is MFP presents suggestions based on the average human, which as we all know doesn't really exist. It's an okay starting point, but you definitely have to let your feelings be your guide and not be afraid to move the macro budget up or down to fit your needs. As you increase your activity level, you need to pay doubly close attention. I am with @raptron in that <1400 calories is very, very low. However, if (rhetorical) you feel fine at work, at home, and working out then it's cool. If you feel very low energy in any setting, the first two places to check are indeed food and sleep.

@Sylvaa right on, if there was a lot of calorie variance it might be hard to tell just what is going on. Once you have a pattern of feeling run down and it's not because you way undershot your calorie goal it might be time to consider making an adjustment--and it doesn't have to be a big one, either. Low carb does hit hard if it's a big drop all at once, that's what your body reaches for to fuel itself most readily and if there aren't as many carbs coming in then your body might be a little unhappy for a while. That might not be you.

Just a small increase in calories shouldn't derail your weight loss and in fact the right calorie balance can unjam a plateaued weight loss situation. Keeps your body from believing you are starving to death (you're not) and holding onto everything it is given. If you determine it is time to do so, bump it up by 100-150 calories for a week, you should be able to see a difference if food is the only culprit. You would be amazed at the difference a couple hundred calories will make. Other issues that could be weighing in, so to speak, are stress and B vitamin levels, to speak nothing of the medical conditions you are also managing.

This is not intended to confuse the matter--assuming this lethargy just came on, then more than likely you are experiencing a dip from the combination of unintentionally being in a steeper cut than you'd bargained for and getting the wedding on the radar. 

• Like 4

Today:

TANK: WARRIOR

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week: Tomorrow. I thought today it would be kind of fun to do both A and B tomorrow just to see if I could. We'll see if that actually happens.

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups:

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day:  Right at 100g. Feels good man.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day: 91g. Not much to say here on that front.

HEALER: SCHOLAR

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge: Still working on it. Might try to do some reading after this post. 

Bonus EXP: Any additional books read: Not yet, for obvious reasons.

Quest 2: Prep for classes: Success. Lecture went well today. I find myself wishing for snow days more often on my intro days. It's just harder to build up passion for something when you're changing topics every week and you're dealing with people who might only be taking the class for general credit. (No one takes the research class unless they're a major, so I at least have that to work with.)

Bonus EXP: Any projects completed: Nope.

DPS: NINJA

Quest 1: Running, twice a week: Man oh man I did not want to go. I tried to talk myself out of it as I got ready. The parking lot is going to be disgusting. (It was.) It's going to be cold af outside. (I was.) I'm tired. (I was.) But I went, and I did my 2 miles (.25 running, .25 walking). I think there were two people slower than me but they stopped when the fast group stopped. I think I was the only slow person who did the whole 2 miles. I should have timed myself but it was probably 35 or 40 minutes or something. My fastest 5k was like 44 minutes, so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

Bonus EXP: Saturday Meet: Not yet, but I finally got the workout calendar in case I can't make it..

Quest 2: Stretching, every day: Yep.

Bonus EXP: Work on splits: Yep. 

DPS: BARD

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going): 1/1

Bonus EXP: Win a match: N/A

Quest 2: Write two blog posts over course of challenge: Ugh.

Bonus EXP: Any additional blog posts written: Not yet, for obvious reasons.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Urgan said:

MFP is a lying POS. Full stop.

Okay, so a little more nuanced response is MFP presents suggestions based on the average human, which as we all know doesn't really exist. It's an okay starting point, but you definitely have to let your feelings be your guide and not be afraid to move the macro budget up or down to fit your needs. As you increase your activity level, you need to pay doubly close attention. I am with @raptron in that <1400 calories is very, very low. However, if (rhetorical) you feel fine at work, at home, and working out then it's cool. If you feel very low energy in any setting, the first two places to check are indeed food and sleep.

@Sylvaa right on, if there was a lot of calorie variance it might be hard to tell just what is going on. Once you have a pattern of feeling run down and it's not because you way undershot your calorie goal it might be time to consider making an adjustment--and it doesn't have to be a big one, either. Low carb does hit hard if it's a big drop all at once, that's what your body reaches for to fuel itself most readily and if there aren't as many carbs coming in then your body might be a little unhappy for a while. That might not be you.

Just a small increase in calories shouldn't derail your weight loss and in fact the right calorie balance can unjam a plateaued weight loss situation. Keeps your body from believing you are starving to death (you're not) and holding onto everything it is given. If you determine it is time to do so, bump it up by 100-150 calories for a week, you should be able to see a difference if food is the only culprit. You would be amazed at the difference a couple hundred calories will make. Other issues that could be weighing in, so to speak, are stress and B vitamin levels, to speak nothing of the medical conditions you are also managing.

This is not intended to confuse the matter--assuming this lethargy just came on, then more than likely you are experiencing a dip from the combination of unintentionally being in a steeper cut than you'd bargained for and getting the wedding on the radar. 

This post is everything.

I ran into this problem like a brick to the face a year or two ago.  It takes a lot of tinkering, patience, more patience, and some feeling like crap to figure out what works for you and your goals and specific sleep needs, etc.  I still struggle with it.

9 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Quest 1: Running, twice a week: Man oh man I did not want to go. I tried to talk myself out of it as I got ready. The parking lot is going to be disgusting. (It was.) It's going to be cold af outside. (I was.) I'm tired. (I was.) But I went, and I did my 2 miles (.25 running, .25 walking). I think there were two people slower than me but they stopped when the fast group stopped. I think I was the only slow person who did the whole 2 miles. I should have timed myself but it was probably 35 or 40 minutes or something. My fastest 5k was like 44 minutes, so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

BUT YOU DID THE THING, and that's what counts.  #BasicallyRyuji

• Like 4

On 14/1/2018 at 11:27 AM, Cataleya said:

Schatz and I finally set a date for our wedding.

Hey! Congratulations to the bride and groom! And all the folks I know who've opted for a smaller, simpler wedding have been uniformly happy they made that choice. 

• Like 2

Hi, so I don't feel like doing a formal update, but here's the gist:

Running. I missed Thursday because I was out late Wednesday night and decided sleep was more important. I didn't do today because Schatz and I made a black bean soup on Friday that ended up being spicier than either of us anticipated*, and my stomach was kind of upset this morning and I didn't want to risk it.

*Well, he was more surprised than I was. I was like, oh, you're putting the seeds in huh. He responded it would be fine. It took me an hour to eat my 1 cup of soup lol. It was tasty, but I have notoriously weak spice tolerance. I blame being German.

Despite the food issues, I still got in 10k steps each day, though I wasn't too happy with not running much this week and then of course tennis was canceled so i just feel like I did nothing. Next week is a new week, so I will focus on that.

Body strength stuff is fine but I feel like 2x a week isn't enough. I feel like I'm not doing anything, and the exercises are easy. So I am going to do a boss battle tomorrow. If I pass, it's 2A for the day, if not it's 1B. If I do have to stick with 1 for now, I might start doing both workouts each day I do it and see if I feel like more effort is being put forward. If not, I'll do one a day but up it to 3x a week. I guess we'll see.

Class prep is fine. I am getting more into the swing of intro but I did tell my chair I'm not sure I like the class all that much. I feel drained after it, which I thought was me being an introvert, but while I feel drained after the research class I also feel super excited about life and the next class. Totally different reaction. She said she was happy to encourage anyone who actually wanted to teach the research class, lol, but she'd look at my schedule once we make our hires and see if maybe someone else would be able to take the intro from me for the fall. I told her I can teach intro fine and am willing to if the department needs it, I just find it odd that I don't like teaching it when I loved TAing it. Just interesting.

Still need to write that blog post. I'm mostly just tired after work so I haven't taken the time to do it, so I'm reducing this to one blog post this challenge. Extra if I do get more, but it's doubtful.

I haven't read for a while because class prep but I will be reading tonight. The book is just longer than I thought so I've only been able to read a chapter at a time and those chapters can take a while. The last chapter I read was on champagne I think, and it was pretty interesting. I playfully ranted a bit after I saw a Miller Lite or something commercial that claims they are the champagne of beer and Schatz just laughed and said it was cute that I knew so much about champagne and cared enough to complain about a stupid commercial. Boy is he in for a fun rest of our lives lol.

Wedding planning is going fine. I booked the dress appointment for February 3. Cake tasting is next weekend. I need to call the location Monday to see what options are available, and then call the restaurant once I figure that out. Then I'm going to try to make some Save the Date cards to send to his parents, my parents, my best friend, and Schatz's sister. I might make them by hand? The idea of doing that makes me a bit nervous lol. But it would save money, considering custom orders don't generally like printing 4 of something. After that I think we're pretty much done.

Stretching is still fine. A lot less lower back pain lately. I really have no idea if those two things are related, but the stretching is nice. My knee is mostly fine too.

Food is interesting. I've been doing mostly fine. Average intake of protein is like 94g thanks to a lower day or two, and carbs is like 114g. I kind of want to just measure calories the rest of the challenge though, and see if my eating habits have changed for the better. I am kind of bored with measuring macros (I've been doing it for longer than this challenge) and with the food I've been eating to measure macros. I've been kind of scared to try new things because I don't want to get less than 100g a day, etc. So I kind of want to relax things a bit. The .8 rule or whatever suggests I need about 73g of protein a day, so I'm toying with the idea of just keeping calories in mind when eating and seeing how that affects my energy, and then looking at the average macros at the end of the week. Success if protein is over 73g, and carbs less than 120g. Part of it it too is that I find my higher carb days are often also my higher protein days. So maybe I should aim for a ratio? I just really don't know what I'm doing but I kind of want to shift somehow. So if you guys have ideas, I'm definitely all ears.

So. Yeah.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Part of it it too is that I find my higher carb days are often also my higher protein days. So maybe I should aim for a ratio? I just really don't know what I'm doing but I kind of want to shift somehow. So if you guys have ideas, I'm definitely all ears.

Way back when I did calorie/macro counting, I noticed that a lot of my high protein foods have a decent amount of carbs too. And most of the bread and pasta I ate also had some protein. Though a big part of that for me comes from being vegetarian (so my low carb protein options are basically eggs, cheese, and protein powder, since I can't drink milk), and most of my protein comes from beans (definitely not low carb).

So, if you want to lower your carbs but keep protein the same, it might help to look at what foods you eat that are a combination of protein and carbs, and see if you can find a lower carb substitution. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Running. I missed Thursday because I was out late Wednesday night and decided sleep was more important. I didn't do today because Schatz and I made a black bean soup on Friday that ended up being spicier than either of us anticipated*, and my stomach was kind of upset this morning and I didn't want to risk it.

*Well, he was more surprised than I was. I was like, oh, you're putting the seeds in huh. He responded it would be fine. It took me an hour to eat my 1 cup of soup lol. It was tasty, but I have notoriously weak spice tolerance. I blame being German.

Put the seeds in the soup, he said.

It'll be fine, he said....

Body strength stuff is fine but I feel like 2x a week isn't enough. I feel like I'm not doing anything, and the exercises are easy. So I am going to do a boss battle tomorrow. If I pass, it's 2A for the day, if not it's 1B. If I do have to stick with 1 for now, I might start doing both workouts each day I do it and see if I feel like more effort is being put forward. If not, I'll do one a day but up it to 3x a week. I guess we'll see.

It'd be fine to an ABA week and follow up with a BAB week. Feeling like you're outgrowing 2x/wk is a good sign and it sounds like you are ready to ramp up the practice time. I imagine you will smash the boss battle.

Class prep is fine. I am getting more into the swing of intro but I did tell my chair I'm not sure I like the class all that much. I feel drained after it, which I thought was me being an introvert, but while I feel drained after the research class I also feel super excited about life and the next class. Totally different reaction. She said she was happy to encourage anyone who actually wanted to teach the research class, lol, but she'd look at my schedule once we make our hires and see if maybe someone else would be able to take the intro from me for the fall. I told her I can teach intro fine and am willing to if the department needs it, I just find it odd that I don't like teaching it when I loved TAing it. Just interesting.

I can only imagine being Responsible for the direction of the class is a whole other world from being a TA. I happily did TA work but would be petrified of leading a class in anything lol. #alleyesonme #introvertproblems #nope

Food is interesting. I've been doing mostly fine. Average intake of protein is like 94g thanks to a lower day or two, and carbs is like 114g. I kind of want to just measure calories the rest of the challenge though, and see if my eating habits have changed for the better. I am kind of bored with measuring macros (I've been doing it for longer than this challenge) and with the food I've been eating to measure macros. I've been kind of scared to try new things because I don't want to get less than 100g a day, etc. So I kind of want to relax things a bit. The .8 rule or whatever suggests I need about 73g of protein a day, so I'm toying with the idea of just keeping calories in mind when eating and seeing how that affects my energy, and then looking at the average macros at the end of the week. Success if protein is over 73g, and carbs less than 120g. Part of it it too is that I find my higher carb days are often also my higher protein days. So maybe I should aim for a ratio? I just really don't know what I'm doing but I kind of want to shift somehow. So if you guys have ideas, I'm definitely all ears.

Food choices definitely play a role in how certain macros play together. I personally keep an eye on two macros, calories and protein, and just try to make sure the others are not ridiculously low. I can't advise you purposefully lowering protein on the eve of ramping up your strength work, but if it's mostly semantics to try to figure out how to make protein and carbs goals without going crazy, I can understand that. Are you still feeling low energy? You might consider loosening up the carb restriction a hair unless you have found a hard ceiling where you experience a negative reaction to higher levels of carbs?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Urgan said:

Put the seeds in the soup, he said.

It'll be fine, he said....

This is entirely too accurate.

4 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

So, if you want to lower your carbs but keep protein the same, it might help to look at what foods you eat that are a combination of protein and carbs, and see if you can find a lower carb substitution.

The problem is that I've been doing this (I pretty much doubled what I was getting in protein and halved what I was getting in carbs), but I think part of the problem is that my protein goal might be higher than I need it to be, which could be limiting my options. There does seem to be some guidance on what I should be getting for protein which feels a bit low the more I think about it, but the only advice I consistently see for carbs is "get enough to feel energy, but not so much that you're eating too much," which... isn't helpful. I tried doing particular macro splits but I found that to be too stressful. 

3 hours ago, Urgan said:

Food choices definitely play a role in how certain macros play together. I personally keep an eye on two macros, calories and protein, and just try to make sure the others are not ridiculously low. I can't advise you purposefully lowering protein on the eve of ramping up your strength work, but if it's mostly semantics to try to figure out how to make protein and carbs goals without going crazy, I can understand that. Are you still feeling low energy? You might consider loosening up the carb restriction a hair unless you have found a hard ceiling where you experience a negative reaction to higher levels of carbs?

My energy levels still seem a bit low but much better than they were when I was complaining about it. I like the idea of shifting to calories and protein, maybe keeping protein at something higher than 73g, but not quite at 100g. Like 90g or something. I do find that it helps keep me full and I feel good on it, but dropping to 73g or whatever it was feels just a bit too low and a bit too steep of a drop. I could also relax carbs a bit, maybe to 130g at first to see if that helps any. But I do like the idea of tracking calories and protein and just keeping an eye on everything.

The question then becomes: what should my calorie goal be? I did IIFYM a few weeks ago but I felt like their recommendations were actually kind of crazy.

Protein Grams: 136
Fat Grams: 75
Carb Grams: 169
Fiber Grams: 30-41

When all of these macros are added up you get a total of 1894 calories.

My macro calculator estimated that your body burns close to 2228 calories each day. This is your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).

I just don't think I can eat almost 1900 calories unless I eat like shit. When I eat healthier like I have been it's a struggle to get to 1500 unless I toss a sweet or something in there or I have an absolutely crazy activity day, like walking 6 miles or running a 5k or something. I also was pretty unhappy with trying to get 110g protein a month or two ago. And I seriously doubt I burn that many calories. Speaking of fiber, I haven't really been tracking what I've been getting with regard to that, but it looks like it varies quite a bit, usually between 10-20g a day, with some a bit higher and some a bit lower. But I haven't been eating a lot of fruits which is where I usually get my fiber from, because they tend to be higher in carbs. So I dunno.

Why can't food be easier? 

Leslie-Waffles-Dessert.gif

• Like 4

Whoa.  I'm always looking for posts that actually spend time talking about achieving fitness goals and somehow missed this one.  You appear to be a "gets sh@t done" person so naturally I'm following.

• Like 2

Whoa.  I'm always looking for posts that actually spend time talking about achieving fitness goals and somehow missed this one.  You appear to be a "gets sh@t done" person so naturally I'm following.
Welcome! Stick around, enjoy the chat, and suggestions welcome!

You know what? Fuck it. I'll stick to 100g protein because I feel fine on it. I'll stick to 120g carbs as a bonus but won't beat myself up about it if I fail, because it's bonus. I'll keep an eye on my energy in the meantime and adjust as necessary. But the reason I started doing it this way is because that's what was recommended for people with PCOS. Up your protein and healthy fats and limit your carbs. But mostly limit shitty carbs and added sugars. I shouldn't get bent out of shape if my carbs are higher one day because I ate some fruit. Fuck that noise.

I'm not sure what my problem has been the past few days. I think I just needed to kick my own ass. So today I did the boss battle and beat General DOMS. Then I did 2A. Because fuck yeah I did. I think I'm gonna be sore tomorrow but it'll be worth it.

Gonna reevaluate tomorrow after I do my weekly summary. I need to stop scaring myself into potentially sabotaging my own progress. I know this is going to be hard, and I think I'm psyching myself out and giving myself excuses to... I don't know, not hold myself accountable or to be comfortable or something. Working out has never been my problem, but my diet has always been a struggle. But if I want to see gains in muscle and lose this weight, I'm going to have to stick to it and not second guess myself. I've lost 3lbs so far. Something is working. I will change course if I need to, but I'm not actually in a position where I really need to! I'm doing okay.

I'm doing okay.

• Like 9

But mostly limit shitty carbs and added sugars. I shouldn't get bent out of shape if my carbs are higher one day because I ate some fruit. Fuck that noise.

With types of carbs, I think as long as the majority of carbs come from a variety of fruits and veggies, you're in good shape. They also provide a lot of micronutrients, which sometimes gets lost in the whole getting the macros "right" thing. Except getting enough vitamins and minerals plays a significant part in your overall health, so thinking about it, it should probably be the other way around. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Cataleya said:

But mostly limit shitty carbs and added sugars. I shouldn't get bent out of shape if my carbs are higher one day because I ate some fruit. Fuck that noise.

90% of every diet plan is limiting shitty carbs and sugar.  I definitely wouldn't harp on yourself for eating some fruit.  People got in great shape long before counting Macros was ever heard of.

18 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I need to stop scaring myself into potentially sabotaging my own progress.

What is scaring you?  Are your expectations for instant change in habits to high?  Too many changes at once?  Developing habits takes will power in the beginning.  Will power is like any other muscle.  It fatigues.  Trying to make too many changes at the same time will exhaust and weaken it.  Maybe this applies to you, maybe not.  Don't know your whole history.  

Keep going.

• Like 3

What is scaring you?  Are your expectations for instant change in habits to high?  Too many changes at once?  Developing habits takes will power in the beginning.  Will power is like any other muscle.  It fatigues.  Trying to make too many changes at the same time will exhaust and weaken it.  Maybe this applies to you, maybe not.  Don't know your whole history.    

Keep going.

My story is essentially this: late teens I start gaining weight. Went from about 135 to 160lbs in what felt like the blink of an eye. Not really sure why, but I blame the freshman 15. But then I start to notice that I eat healthier and am more active than many people in my friend group. My mom suggests going to the doctor because there's a long history (at least three gens) of hypothyroidism in our family. 

I go to doctor, he says it must be my diet. I tell him I get about 1200 calories a day, maybe 1500 if I splurge. He says I must be inactive. I tell him what I'm doing, he says it must not be enough.

I come back about a month later, with more symptoms, and a food and exercise journal. He glances at it, still refuses to do tests. I must be fucking up, essentially. I'm lying. He doesn't say this outright but it's clear that's what he thinks. Another fat chick blaming her thyroid. A bunch of other stuff happens including some referrals to doctors who say, gee it sounds like you have thyroid problems, I'm not sure why he's sending you here. No dice.

Things get worse. I visit my parents in Europe. They help me eat a really strict diet, no soda, no fast food, tracking down to the micronutrients, exercising 2+ hours a day 5 days a week. I'm dancing, I'm walking, I'm running, I'm doing bowflex. I'm not losing any weight. Maybe 5lbs in three months. My energy drops to the point where I literally can't get out of bed one day. Parents freak at this point, take me the doctor. I think I'm 170lbs by now.

She diagnoses me with hypothyroidism and PCOS. I get put on thyroid medication. It helps with energy and hair loss but not much else. Small cysts are on my thyroid but nothing on my ovaries.

I graduate, I move, new doctor puts me on metformin. It does nothing. She doesn't understand why I can't lose weight. I creep up to mid-180lbs.

I graduate, I move. I'm about 200lbs by now. Highest is 208lbs. New doctor says I should buy a Fitbit. I do. Says I should buy a food scale. I do. Says I should journal my food. I do. I lose some weight, but not a lot. Cysts on my thyroid disappear, but appear on my ovaries. I run three 5ks. I get down to about 180s, doc puts me on medical speed (literally). I get down to high, maybe mid 170s.

I graduate, I move, I get off the speed. I'm back to 200s. In fact I get up to 211lbs. Enter this latest go around. My new doc laughs at my metformin dose and triples it, unsure why I was even bothering to take the dose I was taking. She adjusts my thyroid meds and tells me, come back in March. So here I am. Dropped soda again, not drinking my calories, trying to get more protein and limit my carbs. Tennis once a week, running at least twice a week. Strength two, now three times a week. Eat right. Sleep well. Be happy. Grad school is over, I can hop off the stress train.

What am I afraid of? I think failing. Again. I do everything I'm told, I research as much as I can afford to. I am open to advice. I take all my meds and drink water and eat as healthy as I can given where I'm at in this journey. I put in as much effort as I can emotionally afford. I hold myself to high standards but it's because I actually think I can meet them. I also understand I'm human and screw up sometimes. But I don't know how many times I can follow the rules and not get rewarded for it. Just emotionally.

I've lost about 3lbs this year already. I'm happy about that. But I will plateau and it will be sooner than anyone else in my position should plateau. It's hard to be here, doing this again. I just ran up against the 200lb mark. I might be back under--again--by next week if things go well. (I should have this week but last week was meh.) That's exciting, but it's also scary as fuck. I don't want to get my hopes up that this time it'll stick. History tells me otherwise.

But here I am. Doing it. Because it's what I do. I'm terrified of death, so. Gotta do what you can to put it off.

• Like 3

I'm just gonna let last week stay last week, and focus on this week. So. Today's update:

Weekly summary:

Measurement Spreadsheet

Weight 01.01.2018: 203.6 lbs

Weight 01.08.2018: 202.2 lbs

Weight 01.15.2018: 200.6 lbs

Weight 01.22.2018: 200.4 lbs

Other measurements in spreadsheet.

TANK: WARRIOR

Quest 1: Strength training twice thrice a week: Wednesday. Happy to be up to level 2 though. Level 1 felt so basic!

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day:Bitch I got 120g today. I'm back.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day:77g today. You read right.

HEALER: SCHOLAR

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge: I did finally start reading again. Still only like 60% through. Some of it is a bit repetitive I feel like. Or maybe he just talks about cheese a lot so I feel like this is a second chapter about cheese?

Bonus EXP: Any additional books read: Not yet, for obvious reasons.

Quest 2: Prep for classes:Yep. I ordered copies for the intro test next week, but still need to write the research test and then the study guide. Hoping to do that by Thursday. Somehow. We have three job candidates coming in this week. Kill me.

Bonus EXP: Any projects completed: Nope.

DPS: NINJA

Quest 1: Running, twice a week: Tomorrow, which is why I'm sleeping after this post. 6:30am is going to come way too soon.

Bonus EXP: Saturday Meet: We'll see, haha.

Quest 2: Stretching, every day: Yeah. I should really get a routine down though.

Bonus EXP: Work on splits: Feeling okay about thos, though I feel like progress has slowed.

DPS: BARD

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going): Yep. Clinic again, as our team had a bye. I feel like I left it on the court. We did some target practice and I guess my aim isn't as good as I thought, or maybe it's not as good as it used to be. I thought I'd hit the target but nope. I did do okay at the cross court stuff though.

Bonus EXP: Win a match: N/A

Quest 2: Write a blog post over course of challenge: When. When will I do this. It is a mystery.

Bonus EXP: Any additional blog posts written: Not yet, for obvious reasons.

Other things: I'm kind of disappointed I only lost 0.2lbs this week, but when I think of last week, it makes sense. My average protein was 91g and average carbs were 119g. Average caloric intake was 1343. Looking at some other stuff out of curiosity, average fiber intake was 15g, sugar 35g, cholesterol 157g, sodium 2730 (which seems high). But what killed me was my lack of activity, which I think spilled over into my doubts about food. 

Still, today was a great workout day, and I'm somewhat excited to get back to running tomorrow. I'm back on the wagon, so it's time to look forward. Every day's a new day and all that jazz.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Cataleya said:

My story is essentially this: late teens I start gaining weight. Went from about 135 to 160lbs in what felt like the blink of an eye. Not really sure why, but I blame the freshman 15. But then I start to notice that I eat healthier and am more active than many people in my friend group. My mom suggests going to the doctor because there's a long history (at least three gens) of hypothyroidism in our family. 

I go to doctor, he says it must be my diet. I tell him I get about 1200 calories a day, maybe 1500 if I splurge. He says I must be inactive. I tell him what I'm doing, he says it must not be enough.

This is really really tough. It makes me angry also.

I have a very good friend who started putting on weight when she was a teenager. Doctors discovered she had a small cyst on one ovary but it was too small to do anything about it. Time passes, she keeps putting on weight and she also starts getting very painful periods. But her mother is totally dismissing it as her being a wimp and having no control over food. Which is not the case really, she does not eat much to start with. But she certainly internalized that she must be a wimp and that there is no point going to the doctor for her level of pain. Time passes again, when she does see doctors, they tell her that loosing weight will sort her out... She finally ended up in extreme pain, in emergency services... It turned out that the cyst had become huge and was also cancerous... She had one ovary removed. Following the operation, she lost quite a bit of weight while finding herself eating more. And no more painful periods. Cancer is gone - touching wood. But why on earth did she have to go through years of pain and endangering her life basically ... just because people decided that her weight was the problem and it was her fault. It makes me so angry really.
I hope you find a reliable doctor who listens to you.

And well done for this week! maybe you answered before, but do you also track your hips/waist size? Measurements might go down slower but it would be more reliable perhaps?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cataleya said:

What am I afraid of? I think failing. Again. I do everything I'm told, I research as much as I can afford to. I am open to advice. I take all my meds and drink water and eat as healthy as I can given where I'm at in this journey. I put in as much effort as I can emotionally afford. I hold myself to high standards but it's because I actually think I can meet them. I also understand I'm human and screw up sometimes. But I don't know how many times I can follow the rules and not get rewarded for it. Just emotionally.

But here I am. Doing it. Because it's what I do. I'm terrified of death, so. Gotta do what you can to put it off.

Understandable.  And yet here you are, still trying where others might give up.  That says a lot about you.  The measure of a person is not how far they go, it's how far they go relative to the circumstances they were given.

• Like 4

This is really really tough. It makes me angry also.

I have a very good friend who started putting on weight when she was a teenager. Doctors discovered she had a small cyst on one ovary but it was too small to do anything about it. Time passes, she keeps putting on weight and she also starts getting very painful periods. But her mother is totally dismissing it as her being a wimp and having no control over food. Which is not the case really, she does not eat much to start with. But she certainly internalized that she must be a wimp and that there is no point going to the doctor for her level of pain. Time passes again, when she does see doctors, they tell her that loosing weight will sort her out... She finally ended up in extreme pain, in emergency services... It turned out that the cyst had become huge and was also cancerous... She had one ovary removed. Following the operation, she lost quite a bit of weight while finding herself eating more. And no more painful periods. Cancer is gone - touching wood. But why on earth did she have to go through years of pain and endangering her life basically ... just because people decided that her weight was the problem and it was her fault. It makes me so angry really.

I hope you find a reliable doctor who listens to you.

And well done for this week! maybe you answered before, but do you also track your hips/waist size? Measurements might go down slower but it would be more reliable perhaps?

Yep, when I do weekly measurements I link to my spreadsheet to save room. I have a history of not losing much there either, but Nerd Fitness Academy wants me to track it, so I do. 

Your friend's story sounds similar to mine. I also have painful periods and they're pretty irregular without BC. When I visited my parents in Europe I had a period for a month; they were afraid I was going to get anemic but thankfully I didn't. I can understand doctors' frustration when it comes to patients who come in and say oh I can't lose weight, I'm just big boned or it's my thyroid, and really it's just eat better and move and they'd be fine. But when you have a patient with persistent complaints who follows instructions, it's different. I can't imagine the stress involved with being a doctor but at the same time I'm assuming most people become one because they want to help people. So it's always hard to hear stories like your friend's.

I had a good friend who has diabetes and is really skinny, but when she was younger she was eating and eating and kept losing weight. Doctors kept telling her she had an eating disorder; one time she didn't even get a chance to talk to the doctor before she was like, "Well I guess we need to get you into a clinic." She didn't go to the doctor for like two years after that, and when she finally did they diagnosed her with stage 4 cancer. She almost died because doctors weren't actually listening to her.

I don't think people realize how much that affects us when it comes to this stuff. It ends up being a cloud that hangs over any success we do have. I am trying to sort through my feelings on all of it because I don't want that to be the case, but it can be difficult with a chronic condition, because it's almost guaranteed that you will keep running into doctors like that.

Like my last doctor, I loved her to bits with everything except when we discussed my weight. I brought in my Fitbit printouts once after I'd had it for about a year and instead of noticing the days where I got 20k or even 30k steps in or how I was getting like 12k steps in daily, she immediately honed into a week where I was sick and had only gotten like 6k steps in each day. She was like, "Oh what happened here?" I kind of called her out on it, but she didn't seem to get that one random week isn't why I wasn't losing weight. Every time I went in there she'd ask what "we" could do about my weight and I'd have to relist every thing she suggested I did that I was doing, and she would eventually just shrug and say, "Well if you just keep losing 5lbs every six months for a few years you'll be okay." It's really disheartening, but all you can really do is keep researching and trying. Sometimes you gotta go your own way.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Cataleya said:

We have three job candidates coming in this week. Kill me.

I'm sorry, Cat. I'm afraid I can't do that.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Cataleya said:

It's really disheartening, but all you can really do is keep researching and trying. Sometimes you gotta go your own way.

Man, this really hits the nail on the head doesn't it.  Never give up, never surrendeeerrrrr~  (Wasn't that a song?)

I saw on your IG comment you got bard to 60 HELL YEAH!!!  With all the classes I level Bard is still my absolute favorite at 70. <3

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, shaar said:

Man, this really hits the nail on the head doesn't it.  Never give up, never surrendeeerrrrr~  (Wasn't that a song?)

giphy.gif

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Urgan said:

I'm sorry, Cat. I'm afraid I can't do that.

giphy.gif

God I need it though. I ran 2.25 miles starting at 6 fucking 30 am and now I'm probably not getting home until like 8pm because I have to go to dinner with this candidate which is fine but I'm fucking tired and there's four more of these goddamn things

7 hours ago, shaar said:

I saw on your IG comment you got bard to 60 HELL YEAH!!!  With all the classes I level Bard is still my absolute favorite at 70. <3

Yeah! Now I can do even more quests that I won't be able to turn in for another 2-3 levels! 

• Like 4