• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cataleya

Cataleya, Ninja Extraordinaire

By candidate, are you talking job recruits?  If so, got any "worst interview recruit" stories to share?  I've heard some people have even showed up in shorts from one manager I know.

• Like 1

By candidate, are you talking job recruits?  If so, got any "worst interview recruit" stories to share?  I've heard some people have even showed up in shorts from one manager I know.
I wish? I mean I know some cringey grad school interview stories like the guy who made super awkward comments about gay people to his lesbian host and who told us he was applying to Hawaii because, and I quote, "Who wouldn't want to go in Hawaii?" and while that may technically be true it doesn't really convince people that you really give a shit about the process.

But this was literally the first interview here where I am on the other side of things. My biggest issues are with a co-worker who, when hiring me, questioned whether I'd like it here because I do so much research and since then has questioned my understanding of research and is generally just kind of a douchenozzle. He's been really nice to me lately but I feel like he thinks I'm mad at him and also is trying to manipulate me a little but I also get paranoid about these things if I don't understand someone's motives so I can't tell anymore.

I was marginally involved in hiring at my old job but aside from a woman who gave some really questionable responses to some questions about diversity (a bit component of our work there) that I don't remember, I sadly don't have any fun stories about the interviewees.

Yet.
  • Like 1

Today's update will be not fancy because I'm tired.

I got 102g protein, 100g carbs, about 1500 calories. That's a best guess given I ate out for lunch and dinner. I am proud of myself because I replaced rice with veggies. I ended up not really eating the veggies but I definitely would have eaten the rice because fuck yeah rice. I did cave and get some bruschetta but I haven't had it in forever and the rest of the day went well and I ran 2.25 miles despite being hella tired so I still call that a win. Oh and I stopped after two reasonably sized pieces and saved the rest for Schatz. So yeah, I feel like I did okay.

MFP is telling me I should weigh like 185lbs in 5 weeks. I laughed.

I ran 2.25 miles (well, did 27 laps and ran 14 of them, one off one on). So. That is a thing. I saw the gym had a digital scale so I stepped on it because it makes me laugh how variable our weight is and the quality of the scales and stuff and it actually said 199.6 or something which surprised me until I realized it was after my run. But I was expecting like 205 or something because that's what happens to me at the doctor's office without fail. I didn't actually weigh myself at home this morning because only Mondays count for me and I was hella asleep while getting ready to run, so I don't know how far the two were off. I should try that sometime, it'd be an interesting albeit useless experiment.

Went to a meeting about a really cool university wide initiative (that I really can't talk about but it's got to do with aging research) and the people running it who are in our medicine related program got really interested in me and I got introduced to the guy running this thing I guess. I dunno what that means for me but probably good things? They definitely wanted to keep me in the loop. I stopped by the dean's office to thank him real quick for sending the email out about it and he was ecstatic someone went. I kind of felt like I was sucking up but I was genuinely grateful and I do what I can to make the department look good, as that will help us get support. I don't really give a shit about getting tenure, as I've made pretty clear to people. I don't really need to suck up. If you like me, you'll keep me. If not, oh well. I'm confident enough in my own abilities to believe I will get a job somewhere, even if it'd be inconvenient. Maybe this is why that co-worker doesn't seem to like me much, or at least know what to do with me. He really wants to be admin, I think. I wouldn't know how to interpret his feelings though, so I won't. I just know my lack of caring about things that cause most people a lot of anxiety seems to throw people off. But hey, I'm terrified of death and had a very brief near panic attack during a lecture on aging and when and why we die today, and no one else seemed affected, so I guess it all balances out.

Anyway, class prep went fine. I didn't really teach today, a librarian came in to teach them literature search stuff and to make a plug for the library. I worked on their study guide. I really should write their test first but I want the study guide to be more of a conceptual guide rather than rote memorization, so maybe it's better this way.

Strength training tomorrow. Stretching happened today.

Oh, weird thing that might be TMI for some folks. I get a weird pinching in my thighs sometimes, like near my butt. I guess a small part of my thigh will get trapped in my jean fold and pinch it. It hurts. It also hasn't happened in a long time, mostly happened when I was losing weight in grad school. I postulated to Schatz that perhaps where I am measuring on my thigh isn't really getting smaller but that top part is getting small enough to slip in there. Or my jeans are just old. I'm not sure which is the case, as I don't really understand how and where bodies lose fat. I imagine the latter is true in either case but the former may also be true. A good, if painful sign, assuming that's a thing. I do need to go jeans shopping at some point which I loathe. Maybe when I'm sure I've plateaued or something. Buy me some time.

I'm waiting for my bed to adjust (the pressure in the air mattress was off) and then I'm reading until I fall asleep. Actually no I'm tired and it's almost 10pm so I'm gonna sleep. I swear I'll finish that book one day lol.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Or my jeans are just old. I'm not sure which is the case, as I don't really understand how and where bodies lose fat.

NO ONE UNDERSTANDS HOW AND WHERE BODIES LOSE FAT. Isn't it soooo frustrating? 

But seriously, depending on where you are measuring, is it possible you might not be seeing the same amount of progress due to muscle?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I just know my lack of caring about things that cause most people a lot of anxiety seems to throw people off.

My gosh I can relate to this so much I want to send you a greeting card about it or something.  This is so so prevalent at my job too.  My boss often gives me a 'deer in the headlights' few-second stare because I don't get whipped up to her level of frenzy about what she considers a crisis thing.  Oh well YOLO lady~

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Oh, weird thing that might be TMI for some folks. I get a weird pinching in my thighs sometimes, like near my butt. I guess a small part of my thigh will get trapped in my jean fold and pinch it. It hurts. It also hasn't happened in a long time, mostly happened when I was losing weight in grad school. I postulated to Schatz that perhaps where I am measuring on my thigh isn't really getting smaller but that top part is getting small enough to slip in there. Or my jeans are just old. I'm not sure which is the case, as I don't really understand how and where bodies lose fat. I imagine the latter is true in either case but the former may also be true. A good, if painful sign, assuming that's a thing. I do need to go jeans shopping at some point which I loathe. Maybe when I'm sure I've plateaued or something. Buy me some time.

CHANGES. Also, jeans shopping is no fun. Agree 1000%.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

NO ONE UNDERSTANDS HOW AND WHERE BODIES LOSE FAT. Isn't it soooo frustrating? 

But seriously, depending on where you are measuring, is it possible you might not be seeing the same amount of progress due to muscle?

I do the "measure where you're fattest" thing for my hips, thighs, and calves, with the general thought that as long as that's losing, I'm probably doing okay? Well I'm fine with my calves so I guess that doesn't matter. With my waist, I just do my belly button because I'm 95% sure that doesn't move around. So it's possible.

6 hours ago, shaar said:

My gosh I can relate to this so much I want to send you a greeting card about it or something.  This is so so prevalent at my job too.  My boss often gives me a 'deer in the headlights' few-second stare because I don't get whipped up to her level of frenzy about what she considers a crisis thing.  Oh well YOLO lady~

I'm glad I'm not alone in this. People think I'm nuts (or maybe think I'm privileged or overconfident or something?) when I tell them I don't care about tenure. It's not that I think I'm just gonna automatically qualify or something, but like, all I can do is my best? I am on a committee that focuses on diversity and one of the committee members, early on, said that being a part of this committee may put a target on our backs because our board of trustees I guess leans pretty conservative, so just something to consider for those of you in this room who aren't tenured. After the meeting, I was speaking to my boss who is also on the committee, and was like well, listen, if they fire me because I support my LGBTQA students (the type of advocacy I'm most known for), they don't deserve me and they can fuck themselves any which way they'd like. I mean I am privileged in that I'm pretty well trained and I could get a job and it's fairly easy to move if need be since I don't have kids and Schatz doesn't have a job (right now). But I also just spent way too much of graduate school dealing with shit I didn't need to, so I don't put up with it anymore. All I can do is my best.

Instead, I create my own anxiety!

6 hours ago, raptron said:

MAN, quite an update. Sounds like mostly good things though! 

4 hours ago, Urgan said:

CHANGES. Also, jeans shopping is no fun. Agree 1000%.

Here's to hoping they are good changes and stay good!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Cataleya said:

So yeah, I feel like I did okay.

I ran 2.25 miles (well, did 27 laps and ran 14 of them, one off one on). So. That is a thing. 

Strength training tomorrow. Stretching happened today.

Sometimes it appears you are to down on yourself, or maybe it's just coming off that way through my glasses.  And when you do good, you don't seem to be giving yourself credit.  You appear to be exercising everyday.  Do you want to be lighter?  Seems like it.  But give yourself one heck of a pat on the back for exercising daily.  This is a fitness site and it appears to me most people don't even exercise regularly.  So focus on the azz kicking work you are doing.  Thats why I like your thread.  Shit gets done here!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Here's to hoping they are good changes and stay good!

Here's the deal, you are down a few pounds and you are already seeing changes in your shape. You're damn right they're good changes. You are officially on a roll. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, peelout said:

Sometimes it appears you are to down on yourself, or maybe it's just coming off that way through my glasses.  And when you do good, you don't seem to be giving yourself credit.  You appear to be exercising everyday.  Do you want to be lighter?  Seems like it.  But give yourself one heck of a pat on the back for exercising daily.  This is a fitness site and it appears to me most people don't even exercise regularly.  So focus on the azz kicking work you are doing.  Thats why I like your thread.  Shit gets done here!

I can definitely see how it comes off that way. Often if I'm updating late at night I'm tired and that makes me a bit more straightforward than even my normal straightforward/sarcastic nature. I also don't feel the need to focus on what's going well because I'm going to keep doing it. I am more interested in what's going on with me when things aren't going well. I've already kind of figured out what has helped me stick to my routine, and that is just understanding that this (whatever "this" is) is just what I do now. I get up at 6am on Tuesdays and Thursdays to make it to the gym and run with (behind lmao) my group. I also just really enjoy self-deprecating humor, keeps me humble. Like I don't really feel bad about being super slow when I run. I am running, which is more than what a lot of other people are doing at 6:30am, and because I am heavier, I'm also, according to the laws of physics, doing more work than a lot of the people who are running with me, even. So I'm okay with it. So I guess it's mostly that I'm fairly comfortable with myself. I do appreciate the sentiment! Maybe it would be helpful to spend a bit more time on my successes.

11 hours ago, Urgan said:

Here's the deal, you are down a few pounds and you are already seeing changes in your shape. You're damn right they're good changes. You are officially on a roll. 

tenor.gif

• Like 3

Yesterday, quickly because today is another candidate day:

TANK: WARRIOR

Quest 1: Strength training twice thrice a week: Level 2 is definitely harder. Schatz did it with me yesterday though, which was fun. He was much better at the inchworm, I was better at the wall slides. 

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day: 102g.

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day: 92g. And that was with mac and cheese haha.

HEALER: SCHOLAR

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge: Maybe when candidates aren't in town...

Bonus EXP: Any additional books read: Not yet, for obvious reasons.

Quest 2: Prep for classes: Kinda proud of myself on this one. I knew Thrusday would be busy, so I spent time finishing up the study guide and their slides and went ahead and posted those.

Bonus EXP: Any projects completed: Nope.

DPS: NINJA

Quest 1: Running, twice a week: Not today. 1/2

Bonus EXP: Saturday Meet: We'll see, haha.

Quest 2: Stretching, every day: Yeah, though not as long as I should have.

Bonus EXP: Work on splits: No.

DPS: BARD

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going): 1/1

Quest 2: Write a blog post over course of challenge: When. When will I do this. It is still a mystery.

Bonus EXP: Any additional blog posts written: Not yet, for obvious reasons.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cataleya said:

I can definitely see how it comes off that way. Often if I'm updating late at night I'm tired and that makes me a bit more straightforward than even my normal straightforward/sarcastic nature. I also don't feel the need to focus on what's going well because I'm going to keep doing it. I am more interested in what's going on with me when things aren't going well. I've already kind of figured out what has helped me stick to my routine, and that is just understanding that this (whatever "this" is) is just what I do now. I get up at 6am on Tuesdays and Thursdays to make it to the gym and run with (behind lmao) my group. I also just really enjoy self-deprecating humor, keeps me humble. Like I don't really feel bad about being super slow when I run. I am running, which is more than what a lot of other people are doing at 6:30am, and because I am heavier, I'm also, according to the laws of physics, doing more work than a lot of the people who are running with me, even. So I'm okay with it. So I guess it's mostly that I'm fairly comfortable with myself. I do appreciate the sentiment! Maybe it would be helpful to spend a bit more time on my successes.

Nothing wrong with a little pat on the back, even if it's done in a sarcastic manner, lol. Gotta recognize when you met temptation/laziness on the battlefield and ripped that bastard's head clean off.

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 4

It's been a rough couple days on the nutrition end, kids. Monday's weigh in is likely gonna be a gain.

Thursday was 48g protein, 143g carb, because I totally mixed up where we were eating for dinner, and instead of the Mediterranean place I ate lamb at, it was a pasta place, or Carb Central. I even got something that didn't have pasta in it, and ended up with something carby. Go figure.

Friday was 86g/134g, better, but not great. We did go to the Mediterranean place again but I got something else and forgot to ask for no rice. And was lured by carrot cake.

Yesterday I was just over on everything. 120g/199g. We went cake tasting for wedding stuff and Schatz wanted Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner and tbh I had been dying for some all week. I'm not totally mad about this one but I am a bit mad. Also, to highlight just how weak my spice tolerance is. Schatz had spicy garlic and I had a bite of them and almost died. Honey BBQ is like, my limit.

Today was 69g/129g. I had a headache most of the day and didn't eat much overall, but I did have a potato. My headache died down a bit after I had a small bowl of ice cream after dinner, but I just couldn't muster up the wherewithal to do my strength training.

I am mad at myself about this, but I think having three job candidates in a week just wrecked me. They're not only 12+ hour days but they're 12+ hour days where you need to be on all the time. Like, I can do a 12 hour day where I sit in my office and help students occasionally, teach a class, send emails, work on stuff. Interview days are different because schedules can change in a second and not only is the person interviewing here but we are trying to make this place look like it's worth working at. In other words, we're being interviewed too. And while the search I'm on is going fine the other search committee is really freaking out because they had less candidates than they wanted to invite and of course the one interview they had this week was the one where everything went wrong, so I ended up giving an impromptu campus tour and other stuff. It was crazy. I am a super introvert who has just learned to pretend to be extroverted so by Friday I was so exhausted I could cry. I needed that carrot cake.

Only one interview this week which is nice but I'm also ready for this to be over.

The cake tasting went well. We went with cupcakes. We're going to have like 11 people max so we ordered a dozen cupcakes, but I may increase that to 1.5 dozen nearer to the date if it does look like all 11 will show. Just in case someone wants to take one home, because we're ordering from the best bakery I've ever been to. Less than $40 for the cupcakes, which is nice. Wednesday we're checking out the venue to see which of two rooms we want. Then that will be taken care of, and I can book the restaurant we'll eat at. Then other than dress and band shopping, we're done. I might pick up some decorations at some point, but I want to see the venue first.

Sigh. I think I'm just gonna read the rest of the night. Played FFXIV earlier, got bard up to mid 60s. The headache was killing me though.

• Like 6

Bad, high stress weeks happen. You did the best you could to keep your head above water, times like these demand more resources just to get by. You learned some things, you got a really major headache chore out of the way, and you're most of the way through getting wedding planning sorted out. In one week! If it's up, note it was a wedding planning and job stress week, and let's finish off January strong. 

• Like 3

So I forgot to measure this morning, but I did weigh myself.

I came in at 200.2, which is technically a loss. And I didn't have a BM this morning before weighing, so I might actually weigh less than 200. Maybe.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 5

Nice! 

We also did cupcakes for our wedding. They work out so nicely, IMO. And yeah, don't sweat the week of stress -- sometimes we just have to do what we can to get through them and stay sane. You were plenty productive even if you didn't get to the all of the strength training you wanted to do and hopefully this search will be over soon and you'll just be back to usual life. :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Urgan said:

Bad, high stress weeks happen. You did the best you could to keep your head above water, times like these demand more resources just to get by. You learned some things, you got a really major headache chore out of the way, and you're most of the way through getting wedding planning sorted out. In one week! If it's up, note it was a wedding planning and job stress week, and let's finish off January strong. 

Yeah sometimes you just hafta... survive.  Being mindful about it is half the battle, I think.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Thursday was 48g protein, 143g carb, because I totally mixed up where we were eating for dinner, and instead of the Mediterranean place I ate lamb at, it was a pasta place, or Carb Central. I even got something that didn't have pasta in it, and ended up with something carby. Go figure.

I know it's over your carb goal, but that's actually pretty low carb considering you ended up at Carb Central!

15 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Yesterday I was just over on everything. 120g/199g. We went cake tasting for wedding stuff and Schatz wanted Buffalo Wild Wings for dinner and tbh I had been dying for some all week. I'm not totally mad about this one but I am a bit mad. Also, to highlight just how weak my spice tolerance is. Schatz had spicy garlic and I had a bite of them and almost died. Honey BBQ is like, my limit.

MEE TOO. I can't handle any hotter than that.

• Like 2

So I forgot to measure this morning, but I did weigh myself.

I came in at 200.2, which is technically a loss. And I didn't have a BM this morning before weighing, so I might actually weigh less than 200. Maybe.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Well, lost our tennis match, but that's okay. I was hungry when the match started which wasn't a good sign, lol, but I've been hungry all day so. My serve got better but my wrist was a bit wobbly which led to some stupid ass shots. I played with the same woman as a few months ago who has PTSD and again our opponents figured it was a better idea to serve to her. Still got some nice shots in so I'm okay with it.

I got in like 148g protein, 40g carbs, 63g fat. I'm pretty content right now. That doesn't factor in the two bites of a cupcake I shared with Schatz but I was too lazy to add that in since it was my only real extra of the day. So probably a couple more carbs and some fat.

Gonna take a bath and relax my legs a bit. Calves were a bit whiny tonight, as were the insides of my feet. Not sure what was up with that. Got two chapters of reading in the other night, might get another in tonight if I'm not too tired. I can't believe it's taken me all month to read this long ass book lol. Nothing really interesting to report from the last few chapters though. Mostly here's how you can tell if wine is Fake or Real. I can share if people are interested.

• Like 4

Oh right, so I've been thinking about next challenge. I think I want to streamline a bit more, maybe something like this:

-track food and record how I feel at the end of each day, see if I can find patterns
-12,000 steps
-lift 3x a week
-read a book

Thoughts?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Cataleya said:

-track food and record how I feel at the end of each day, see if I can find patterns
-12,000 steps
-lift 3x a week
-read a book

Thoughts?

Seems good! In my opinion, tracking is the most important things for weight loss. At least, when you struggle with weight loss.

• Like 2

Seems like a good place to be,  Nice straight forward goals.  Easy to track.  Just keep working at it.  You will get there.  Oh Following finally.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cataleya said:

Oh right, so I've been thinking about next challenge. I think I want to streamline a bit more, maybe something like this:

Just tracking or trying to stick with the macro goals from before? 
-12,000 steps

This is new, right? What are your current average steps? 
-lift 3x a week

In addition to tennis and running or will this be your only goal?
-read a book

Thoughts?

I put some comments in red in the quoted text. I like the idea of streamlining!

• Like 2