• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cataleya

Cataleya, Ninja Extraordinaire

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

I put some comments in red in the quoted text. I like the idea of streamlining!

- Just tracking. It's difficult for me right now to pay attention to so much going on, and I kind of want to figure out what days I feel best, and maybe use that info for the challenge afterward to see if I can stick to whatever is making me feel better. I think I'm doing okay right now so I probably will still mostly stick to 100g-ish protein because that feels natural by now, but I also think I might need to up my calories/carbs a bit more. I just don't want to track/aim for too much at once, which is where MFP gets draining. 

- I range between 10k-12k a day usually. It's not new necessarily, as I get 10k most days, but it's more streamlined than "Tennis on Mondays and running on these other days and everything else." It basically simplifies by combining several goals, but also represents the point of a challenge by not being too easy by being like, "Get 10k," which I already do most days.

- I already do bodyweight training 2-3x a week so it's not a new goal. It's basically just sticking with this challenge's goal, as it's already pretty simple.

• Like 3

@Sylvaa It is though! I super value everyone's input, and you guys have a pretty good read on me by now, so you can tell me if I might be doing too much or too little or if I'm doing things that will probably hurt my progress. So I definitely appreciate the questions (and the approval). :)

---

So I weighed myself this morning for shits and giggles, thinking maybe I'd be like, right at 200 or at 199.8 or something hilarious, and I was at 198.4. Same weight at the gym after my run. My body likes to lose weight AFTER I weigh in, apparently. It did that a few weeks ago, too. Still sticking with the 200.2 or whatever weigh in I got Monday, because that's what I weighed in at, and we'll see what it looks like next Monday, but it did kind of make me laugh. It also makes me wonder if maybe I am eating a bit too little. I averaged 1548 calories, but that includes Buffalo Wild Wings day, which skews my average quite a bit. So taking that day out and averaging, I averaged something like 1383. So maybe I need to try to bump myself up to like 1500 calories and see if that helps. I'm not really feeling an energy drain unless I have a shitload of carbs the day before and not much the day after, but I do feel like I could be feeling better, if that makes sense.

Didn't get a chance to measure myself this morning because apparently time goes faster at 6am somehow, so I'm just gonna go sub-optimal and do it when I get home. I've sent Schatz a message asking him to remind me and maybe he'll help me measure since he doesn't know what my current measurements are, so we can use that as an audit of sorts.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

So I weighed myself this morning for shits and giggles, thinking maybe I'd be like, right at 200 or at 199.8 or something hilarious, and I was at 198.4. Same weight at the gym after my run. My body likes to lose weight AFTER I weigh in, apparently. It did that a few weeks ago, too. Still sticking with the 200.2 or whatever weigh in I got Monday, because that's what I weighed in at, and we'll see what it looks like next Monday, but it did kind of make me laugh. It also makes me wonder if maybe I am eating a bit too little. I averaged 1548 calories, but that includes Buffalo Wild Wings day, which skews my average quite a bit. So taking that day out and averaging, I averaged something like 1383. So maybe I need to try to bump myself up to like 1500 calories and see if that helps. I'm not really feeling an energy drain unless I have a shitload of carbs the day before and not much the day after, but I do feel like I could be feeling better, if that makes sense.

The difference is 117 calories on average, which might be enough to make you feel better without deep-sixing your progress. And if you stall--but I don't think you will since you are INCREASING your activity next challenge--you will know the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Also nice sub-200 weigh-in. 

• Like 2

Lord save me this student has canceled meetings on me like five times and hasn't been showing up to a different class and it's a different reason each time (she was sick last week which I do completely believe but other reasons have been "I woke up to a flat tire" when our meeting was supposed to be at 12:30 and "I didn't feel like it was worth it to come to campus for just an hour and a half" which wasn't accurate since we were supposed to have our meeting before the other class and class itself is an hour and a half) and I need way more patience than I have today. So my response email was just like okay fine but like, you're losing points brah and you need to start actually coming to these because when you book meetings with me and then cancel it's a drain on my time and also others can't schedule meetings because you booked them, so like, stop doing this. Nicer, obviously, but not as much.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cataleya said:

averaged something like 1383. So maybe I need to try to bump myself up to like 1500 calories and see if that helps.

Give it a try.  Worse case scenario, progress stalls, and you can drop your calories again.

At 1500 daily avg gross calories, if you do hit 12k+ steps a day, that’ll probably bring your avg daily net calories to under 1000 anyway.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

Lord save me this student has canceled meetings on me like five times and hasn't been showing up to a different class and it's a different reason each time (she was sick last week which I do completely believe but other reasons have been "I woke up to a flat tire" when our meeting was supposed to be at 12:30 and "I didn't feel like it was worth it to come to campus for just an hour and a half" which wasn't accurate since we were supposed to have our meeting before the other class and class itself is an hour and a half) and I need way more patience than I have today. So my response email was just like okay fine but like, you're losing points brah and you need to start actually coming to these because when you book meetings with me and then cancel it's a drain on my time and also others can't schedule meetings because you booked them, so like, stop doing this. Nicer, obviously, but not as much.

Aren't children great??

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cataleya said:

- Just tracking. It's difficult for me right now to pay attention to so much going on, and I kind of want to figure out what days I feel best, and maybe use that info for the challenge afterward to see if I can stick to whatever is making me feel better. I think I'm doing okay right now so I probably will still mostly stick to 100g-ish protein because that feels natural by now, but I also think I might need to up my calories/carbs a bit more. I just don't want to track/aim for too much at once, which is where MFP gets draining. 

MFP gets hella draining for me too, for a lot of the same reasons.  I find that just tracking is a good enough baseline for me right now at this point in time, and if I ever feel the need to up the ante, I can do that anytime - but overloading yourself with nutrition can get hectic.  Your options are always there should you choose to expand on them, but small steps are awesome.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I averaged something like 1383.

That seems way too litte!! What is your daily calorie need?

A few months ago a great article circled the internet about Russell Wilson. He wanted to lose weight and his new trainer increased his calories. The reason is that burning fat requires a surprising amount of energy. So, if you work out a lot (i.e. tennis, weight training, etc.) undereating can be very disadvantageous.

2 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I need way more patience

I'm not sure... If you communicate clearly what you expect and demand from your students, it might be good for both you and them when you are very strict with the consequences.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Akura said:

That seems way too litte!! What is your daily calorie need?

A few months ago a great article circled the internet about Russell Wilson. He wanted to lose weight and his new trainer increased his calories. The reason is that burning fat requires a surprising amount of energy. So, if you work out a lot (i.e. tennis, weight training, etc.) undereating can be very disadvantageous.

I'm not sure... If you communicate clearly what you expect and demand from your students, it might be good for both you and them when you are very strict with the consequences.

I have no idea what my daily caloric need is, because I suspect that what's going on in my body isn't going to be reflected very easily in an online calculator. PCOS and hypothyroid both fuck with your metabolism. MFP had put my BMR at something like 1600 calories and today because I ran it wants me to eat like 2600 calories which I know is bullshit. I had a doctor recommend 1200-1300 calories to me before, and others have recommended less! And other calculators have put my "daily need" for 2lbs weight loss a week anywhere from 1300-1800 calories a day. I also currently have no way currently to accurately assess how much I'm burning during workouts, because a lot of the automated workout reports are based off of healthy, fairly athletic men, and well, that's not me. So I honestly don't know, and I've had to basically rely on what the scale says to know whether something is working or not. It seems like it's kind of working right now, but my energy is a little low, so I will probably up calories next challenge to see if that helps with energy without destroying progress. It feels like my body is very fickle compared to others. Like today I'm probably gonna end up somewhere around 1200 calories and my body is stuffed. The only way I seem to be able to get more calories is by eating carby foods. That I can eat forever. But when I'm upping my protein, forget about it. I'm always full.

(I'd be welcome to be proven wrong on any of this, by the way. I would love to have more information here, but just from what I've read about these things and learned from friends of mine who are going through medical school right now, I don't exactly trust the methods listed above.)

And oh, I do. I am incredibly organized, to the point where people comment on it regularly. They know exactly what's expected of them for the entire course from Day 1. I have a syllabus listing exactly what we're covering each day, and when assignments are due, and what policies are. This student is in a situation, however, where she absolutely needs to meet with me. It's a requirement. So I can't be like, "I guess the meetings are off." I can, however, take points away, which is exactly what I'm doing. My patience is more in that I need to still respond professionally, because, you know, getting in trouble or getting fired isn't fun.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cataleya said:

I have no idea what my daily caloric need is

Based on your change in weight throughout January, your active maintenance is somewhere in the range of 1700 - 2100 daily calories.  That is to say:  if you had eaten somewhere in that range and still done all the movement and exercise that you did over the last month, your weight probably wouldn’t have noticably changed.

Your inactive maintenance, based on all your January MFP data, is somewhere in the 900 - 1300 daily calorie range.   Though while I was going through the data I was raising an eyebrow at some of the calorie burn estimates.  I suspect MFP’s estimates for some of those exercise entries are too high.  Can’t say for sure though.  

• Like 3

I just added you on MFP! Question for you - do you truly weigh your food or do you just estimate? If you don't weigh, I would recommend starting to do so. This can definitely impact the accuracy of the calories you are consuming daily. 

So, the crappy thing about daily caloric needs is it is so individualized. You can take a look at calculators all day long and they will only be accurate to a certain extent. The best way to really calculate is honestly trial and error over a period of time, comparing calories / exercise to weight. There are also lab tests that can also be done to make a fairly decent determination - it's something to look into where you work.

Usually, when people are on an extended diet, the first piece of advice is to eat more. Recently, I was reading an article about how, for every pound lost through calorie restriction, it takes burning an additional 8.6 calories for each additional pound (remind me tomorrow evening to find the article and link it). So if this has been an extended diet, it would be in your best interest to start eating more - even if it's just for a few weeks.

Also, if I remember correctly, you recently got your Metformin dose increased. This may help (through blood sugar regulation) the whole weight loss thing.

I've got more, but (fun) there is a fire alarm in the building.

• Like 2

Since I can't multi quote on tapatalk, or at least haven't figured out how to yet:

How did you calculate that, Hazard? I'm just curious because I imagine it'll be different than what I have seen before, and your stuff is usually pretty on point in my experience. I also suspect that MFP is a lying liar that lies, especially regarding my cycling, so I mostly ignore it. I tell it to not adjust for my Fitbit steps but I have a sneaking suspicion it does anyway. But if im understanding you right, based on your numbers if I can force myself to get to 1500-1600 I might see better energy and still get results. It'll be difficult for me unless I up carbs a bit more. Actually maybe getting more fruit might help, yeah? I've missed eating it. I probably could get more of that in there.

And yeah, I do have a food scale, Sylvaa. I don't weigh ALL my food because I don't carry the scale around with me but if I make it at home I do. When I do eat out I generally eat mostly what I would eat at home so I've gotten fairly good (I think) at estimating most of my food but it's entirely possible I'm getting more than I bargained for for some of the stuff I've eaten, like for these candidate interview dinners.

The lab tests sound interesting. I've had a metabolic panel done fairly recently (November), but the only thing that came back out of this hospital's normal range was my alt, which was slightly elevated. Chloride and anion gap were on the higher end but still normal, and bilirubin was right on the lower cusp (normal range is .3 to 1.2 and mine was .3). If you mean different tests I should definitely ask for them in March. And yeah my Metformin was increased after that as well. That apparently can take something like 6-8 weeks to be at full strength, and who knows, doc might look at my labs and say welp time to increase more. So that's always in fluctuation.

I'll try to eat more. I think adding fruit back will help. Not that fruit is calorie dense, but it's something I can munch on, whereas eggs and other stuff I normally eat just satisfies me. Maybe nuts too. I've always been a light eater, ironically. Light and fast. It's just that I used to get all my calories from carbs. But yeah, I don't want to hurt my progress by undereating. I'll brainstorm.

Good luck with the fire alarm.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

It'll be difficult for me unless I up carbs a bit more

You know there is a better source of calories than carbs?  Your body needs it too, it is healthy fat.  Add in two tbsp. of Ghee when you make steamed veggies or cook some eggs.  Throw in 25 g of raw cashews and you get 144 cal, 7 carbs, 12 fat,4 protein, 6 iron and it fits in the palm of your hand, tastes good and you need it.  Try a medium avocado: 234 cal, 21 g fat, 12 carbs and 3 protein.  The fats are HEALTHY your body needs them.  Both of these can be added to another dishes as well, throw them on a salad or a sandwich, well the avocado and enjoy.  I had a hard time getting away from the fat is bad thing for a long time.  It is really helpful now.  it fills you up, it is an essential element in your diet for body function and it provides long lasting energy.  And for nuts they are really portable.  I just recommend not cheeping out and going with peanuts, they are just no the same.  Cashews, Almonds, Macadamia etc. are the way to go.

Good Luck, You are doing great and just questioning what is going on is positive.  IF you were just going through the motions you wouldn't be questioning what is going on.

• Like 2

I do get something like 60-70g of fat in a day on average, it looks like. I'm just more confused about where I should be on that, like if that's enough or not. I imagine it's the fat and protein that's filling me up. But also I just really miss fruit and fruit at the very least is good for you, unlike candy or soda or something.

• Like 2

Just now, Cataleya said:

I do get something like 60-70g of fat in a day on average

I went and looked at your profile as well.  If you need to increase your calories by 200 calories or whatever number and you are happy with the protein numbers you have take the number of calories you want to eat and divide by 9, that is how many calories are in a gram of fat.  They are healthy fats.  Protein and Fat are the only two of the three  Carb, fat, protein  that you must have.  your body will do just fine if you never ate another carb in your life.  As for fruit, it is good, but eat the whole fruit not just juice.  There are not many calories in fruit, for example I love Clementine's ( Mandarins) and I have been getting excellent ones recently 125g of them and they are like orange sugar, are 59 cal, 15 carbs, 1 protein, and 2 g fiber.  So you would have to eat a bushel of them to get up in calories.  So why did you stop eating fruit?  If you like it and you recognize that it is good for you?  The only thing that is bad is if you eat a lot of fruit and use it to replace sugar other places like instead of a candy bar or something you normally eat at 3 pm.  While it is better than the candy bar it is still not breaking the sugar craving.  If anyone sees something I am off on , please speak up. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cataleya said:

How did you calculate that, Hazard? I'm just curious because I imagine it'll be different than what I have seen before, and your stuff is usually pretty on point in my experience.

For your active maintenance, weekly change in weight multiplied by 3500 divided by time.

For your inactive maintenance, I used your MFP entries to average your weekly movement/exercise burn, and subtracted it from the active maintenance estimates.

• Like 4

Fruit is great for getting in vitamins and minerals. And some fruit has a reasonable amount of fiber. So it's not like fruit is JUST sugar. And juice can be a good way to get extra calories and extra servings of fruits and veggies. As long as you avoid basically all of the commercial stuff and drink it in moderation. (Make it yourself, or spend (a lot) more for the ones at juice bars (but ignore the fad diet juice cleanse claims and do your own research into what the various vitamins and minerals do). And the ones with both fruits and veggies will have less sugar.)

7 hours ago, GregT. said:

your body will do just fine if you never ate another carb in your life. 

Your body needs fiber, which is a type of carb.

• Like 2

I stopped eating fruit because I was limiting carbs and trying to up protein. But I don't buy the anti carb stuff. I think you need all three (protein, fat, carbs). There's just some limited research and some anecdotal evidence from people with PCOS that shows that lower carb, higher protein might help with PCOS symptoms. At the end of the day it's about finding the balance that works for you. I also don't think sugar is the devil, it's mostly just that we add sugar into everything. It's also not like you can't pair a piece of fruit with a protein source. I like apples and natural peanut butter, for example.

I don't drink juice because it tends to have added sugar and juicing strips a lot of fruit and probably veggies of the fiber that helps regulate your body's absorption of the sugar that's naturally there. I was talking strictly about eating it. I try not to drink my calories at all, with the rare exception of protein shakes, which I mostly stopped drinking because I'd rather get my calories from food when possible.

Thanks Hazard, I'll have to keep that at hand to see if it's helpful as I adjust things.

• Like 4

On 1/31/2018 at 7:13 AM, zeroh13 said:
On 1/30/2018 at 11:56 PM, GregT. said:

your body will do just fine if you never ate another carb in your life. 

Your body needs fiber, which is a type of carb.

Additionally, brain function requires carbs (note: your brain won't die without carbs, I'm not trying to scare people that much). 

EDIT: Updated post on next page. Brain function does not require carbs, but evidence is inconclusive as to long-term effects of not having carbs)

On 1/30/2018 at 11:22 PM, Cataleya said:

The lab tests sound interesting

Apologies, it's not a blood test. It's a test done in a lab. Does your college have an exercise sports science program? It might also be under REE testing, but you basically have a VO2 mask on and it uses that information to determine calorie expenditure. 

On 1/30/2018 at 9:40 PM, Hazard said:

I suspect MFP’s estimates for some of those exercise entries are too high.

This is a very accurate statement. According to MFP, they have done some due diligence into the calorie burned equation, however it is based on averages for your weight. So it's a good starting place, but doesn't necessarily reflect your own personal burn.

Also, I've read that MFP adds exercise calories on top of normal calories burned within the same time frame. So if you burn 200 calories an hour resting, but spend an hour exercising and burn 400 instead, MFP is going to give you 600 for that hour. In addition, a lot of people have their activity level set at "x", but then add back in calories from normal activity, which have already been accounted for in their daily calorie totals (please just take this as food for thought - not sure if it is relevant to you, but I bring it up because I know you walk a lot. If this is factored in when you set up your MFP account, the daily calories burned from walking wouldn't be added back in).

On top of all this, MFP is not always accurate with calorie counts - even for their verified foods. And restaurant foods are rarely, if ever, correct. Not saying that it's not helpful to use it, just saying that it's still kind of a crapshoot. :D 

All this being said, nutrition is so cool! There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating fruit. Now, it might be better to stay away from higher sugar fruits, but berries, melons, and apples are generally on the lower end of sugar content fruit (so you have plenty of delicious choices). But, for you, I say that because of the whole insulin resistance and PCOS potential, not because there is anything inherently wrong with higher sugar fruit. When people calculate macros, unless they are on a keto diet, fat is generally the "filler" macro. So after carb and protein requirements are calculated, everything else gets to be fat.

Personally, I feel that hitting a protein goal should be your primary goal (that macro % would be, would be dependent on personal goals) and fats and carbs can be divided up in any manner than aligns with personal goals. I've also read some of the research around low cab - it's not a bad theory - if it works for you. 

Edited by Sylvaa
FOR SCIENCE!
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

All this being said, nutrition is so cool! There is absolutely nothing wrong with eating fruit. Now, it might be better to stay away from higher sugar fruits, but berries, melons, and apples are generally on the lower end of sugar content fruit (so you have plenty of delicious choices). But, for you, I say that because of the whole insulin resistance and PCOS potential....

I thought you were writing to me, until I got to this paragraph :lol:.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

This is a very accurate statement. According to MFP, they have done some due diligence into the calorie burned equation, however it is based on averages for your weight. So it's a good starting place, but doesn't necessarily reflect your own personal burn.

Also, I've read that MFP adds exercise calories on top of normal calories burned within the same time frame. So if you burn 200 calories an hour resting, but spend an hour exercising and burn 400 instead, MFP is going to give you 600 for that hour. In addition, a lot of people have their activity level set at "x", but then add back in calories from normal activity, which have already been accounted for in their daily calorie totals (please just take this as food for thought - not sure if it is relevant to you, but I bring it up because I know you walk a lot. If this is factored in when you set up your MFP account, the daily calories burned from walking wouldn't be added back in).

This is one reason why I just go with gross calories and how I feel. The other being nobody can tell me how much I burn during barbell training because there are just too many variables present. One can adopt a precise-but-not-accurate philosophy toward calories expended--I do it with calories taken in to deal with the issue of accuracy on food labels. If I use the same entries for stuff and try to be consistent, even if I'm wrong at least there is a yardstick of some kind to measure with vs just hoping for the best.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Additionally, brain function requires carbs (note: your brain won't die without carbs, I'm not trying to scare people that much). 

Ooo, I did not know this.

• Like 1