• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cataleya

Cataleya, Ninja Extraordinaire

Not arguing that you should eliminate all carbs in your diet as it would be nearly impossible.  Glycogenesis however would provide your body with what you need along with ketones to keep everything working well.  There is even evidence to show that the brain functions better on Ketones than glucose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluconeogenesis

I am not suggesting that anyone, myself included go for this or try for it all the time, as there are some side effects but, your body is amazing machine capable of adapting to a lot of variety to get what it needs. 

You are doing great Cat, keep it up.  Persistence is the key and you are very persistent. :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GregT. said:

Not arguing that you should eliminate all carbs in your diet as it would be nearly impossible.  Glycogenesis however would provide your body with what you need along with ketones to keep everything working well.  There is even evidence to show that the brain functions better on Ketones than glucose.

Let me disclaimer that I have no issues with people eating a Keto diet. If this works for you, do you do (so please don't take this as a huge critique).

That being said, I just went down a rabbit hole of research into brain function and ketosis. This is so interesting to me! 

• For neurological disorders (seizures, ALS, etc...) research has show that yes, ketosis can be effective in controlling symptoms. 
  • For higher cognitive function, evidence is inconclusive. I did see studies that showed short-term improvement, however longer-term studies showed the opposite. So yes, the brain can run without carbs (I will amend my original post). But more evidence is needed to effectively determine the long-term impact of these changes.
  • For reduced neutrophil function and optic neuropathy, these are both documented side effects of long-term ketogenic diets. 
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Let me disclaimer that I have no issues with people eating a Keto diet. If this works for you, do you do (so please don't take this as a huge critique).

That being said, I just went down a rabbit hole of research into brain function and ketosis. This is so interesting to me! 

• For neurological disorders (seizures, ALS, etc...) research has show that yes, ketosis can be effective in controlling symptoms. 
  • For higher cognitive function, evidence is inconclusive. I did see studies that showed short-term improvement, however longer-term studies showed the opposite. So yes, the brain can run without carbs (I will amend my original post). But more evidence is needed to effectively determine the long-term impact of these changes.
  • For reduced neutrophil function and optic neuropathy, these are both documented side effects of long-term ketogenic diets. 

To speak nothing of athletic performance on a high carb vs low carb diet and how that might vary wildly between individuals, yeah?

• Like 3

Just now, Urgan said:

To speak nothing of athletic performance on a high carb vs low carb diet and how that might vary wildly between individuals, yeah?

Oh man, that's a whole other debate in and of itself! (Also, apologies for derailing your thread again Cat!)

• Like 2

Just now, Sylvaa said:

Oh man, that's a whole other debate in and of itself! (Also, apologies for derailing your thread again Cat!)

Just because I think we can all agree we're after more than survival here on NerdFitness. It may be cold comfort, but the long and short is there is no Answer to the subject of macro ratios. Just suggestions.

• Like 3

Ok,

I agree with what Urgan said.  It is just suggestions.  I am not trying to say everyone should be on a Keto diet, heck I'm not on a Keto diet right now.  I was just trying to point out to Cat that carbs are not the only answer to adding in extra calories to her diet.  That healthy fats are excellent as they are usually more satiating than carbs, many forms are extremely portable i.e. nuts, and that they pack more than twice the calories of carbs so eating a smaller volume of food will result in more calories.  She had mentioned that she was often too full for more.  The body is an amazing machine, and the more we learn about it the more we don't understand.  I bet it is easier for Cat to have a packet of Cashews in her purse or desk drawer than a bunch of fruit.  I think fruit, whole fruit, is a great snack and I enjoy it like candy, so I have to be careful or I will over indulge.  With that said, I am only trying to offer suggestions that may help Cat on her journey.  

KETO ROCKS! :P

you-went-full-keto-man-you-never-go-full

• Like 3

It's been a busy couple days. Thursday was the last of my committee's candidates. Friday was the meeting where we decide how to write our recommendations for each candidate. I was not looking forward to it, and while it went a lot smoother than I thought it would, Mr. Know It All was awkward and somewhat inappropriate the whole time. Anticipating there might be problems, my boss asked how it went. I told her. She's pretty interested in keeping me and knows my history in grad school, and I guess other complaints might be coming in (she didn't say that because it's none of my business, but I feel like that might be the case), so I'm interested in seeing what happens.

Anyway, after teaching I went to a local gaming event, left that event to support a friend at her talk, then went back to the event. Schatz has been volunteering there and from all indications they seem happy with his performance. I'm low key hoping once they get to a point where they can hire someone else, they consider him.

Today I got up, showered, and went straight to my parents'. Future MIL got there, and my mom, MIL, and I got into a car and went dress shopping. I don't think any of us thought we'd need the whole two hours, but I got stuck between two dresses which were beautiful in different ways. I kept putting them on, we tried different veils, I put on shoes, put in earrings. I finally went with the more elegant option over the more playful option, since I don't get a lot of chances to look elegant. MIL started crying a bit and I got close to doing it too.

Then we ate, had a drink to celebrate, and went home. I drove back here and went to another gaming event, but was too tired and left after about an hour and a half. Gonna take a bath and relax, then put some laundry away and go to bed. Exhausting few days.

I haven't really been tracking food. I feel pretty confident I got enough protein Thursday and probably yesterday too. Probably not today, today was carby. I was wondering why this week was hard with cravings but realized it's Almost That Time and everything made sense.

But I'm feeling pretty good going into strength day tomorrow. Hoping to finish off tomorrow pretty strong and looking forward to next challenge. Progress pics due Monday.

Please look forward to it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cataleya said:

Please look forward to it.

Looking forward to it.  Sounds like a busy couple days.  glad you had a good time dress shopping and are happy with the dress you chose.  I am certain no matter what you wear, your Groom with be amazed at how you look on the day.  What kind of gaming event?

Keep it up you are doing well.

• Like 3

Just a local get together for people to play games. Sometimes they're themed events and sometime people just show up to do things. Mostly it's esports stuff, so fighting games and PUBG and stuff.

Today has been fairly productive. Slept in until 8, biked for a bit, took out trash, then went grocery shopping. Found some protein bars that had a decent protein:carb ratio (at least 1:1) and most of the carbs in said bars were fiber. Very low sugar content from what I can tell. So I'm going to experiment with that. I have found that during work it's a lot easier for me to just eat a bar or something, rather than deal with the college fridge and microwave and other people and stuff. I did also pick up a couple salads with decent protein numbers. We'll see how much I like them. And apples. Because apples are yummy.

Today is Superbowl Sunday, so I picked up some stuff for Schatz to enjoy, mostly. I will probably have some small amounts of some stuff, like the mini cupcakes or Doritos or popcorn chicken if we even make and of that, but he is free to enjoy as much as he wants of the nachos and some of the other stuff I picked up, as they are not something I particularly enjoy. I don't dislike nachos, but like Oreos I never crave them, so this allows him to have Fun Food without it wrecking my shit. I thought of Greg and got some cashews as well. :)

I'm also going to drink a crapload of water today in an effort to be regular tomorrow morning. I suspect I did not lose any weight since shark week is upon us, but I'll keep trying. It's been a rough couple of weeks stress wise and with a decent amount of chaos injected in there. I am hoping upping my calories next challenge will help. Now that I have a dress picked out I am pretty nervous about losing the pouch, since that was the only thing I wasn't a fan of with any of the dresses I tried on. Sigh, weddings.

I think I'm gonna try to take a short nap because it's Sunday and I'm still a bit tired. Then it's strength workout and getting next challenge prepared, which comes with Habitica changes. Then I might clean a bit more before whenever the game is actually supposed to start. (I'm not sure if you can tell but I don't care about American football in the slightest. I'm not against it, I understand the rules, I just do not care and don't get the appeal.)

• Like 4

So it looks like I got a little over 150mi (according to Fitbit) in January, which is nice.

Today, I got 101g protein and like 164g carbs but like 47g of that was fiber so I feel less bad. Between that, my strength workout, and having at least 64oz of water, If I don't have a BM tonight or tomorrow I am broken, please come fix me. I actually got to 1600 calories today, which was nice, though I do feel really full. Gonna see what this ends up feeling like tomorrow.

Let's do a quick summary of my life this challenge yeah?

TANK: WARRIOR

Quest 1: Strength training twice a week: Upped to three times a week, but really only ended up doing twice a week. Still consider this a success because I got to Level 2 of NFA, which is still giving me some challenges. I just can't get better at pushups. I have to pause after 5 or 6, sometimes less. I don't know if it's my wrists or my biceps are just weak af or what. 

Bonus EXP: Work on pull ups: Abandoned.

Quest 2: Get 100g of protein per day: I don't know the exact numbers, but I met this most days. If nothing else, I'm getting more protein than I was getting this time last year or even probably last month, and I'm not downing protein powder and stuff that makes me miserable like I was doing before. So I consider this a success

Bonus EXP: Eat less than 120g carbs per day: A success, for the most part, but often because I just didn't eat a lot in general. Going to up my calories next challenge and see what this does. Still, I consider this a success for the most part.

HEALER: SCHOLAR

Quest 1: Read one book over course of challenge: I got most of the way through a book that was longer and denser than I anticipated. Going to hopefully finish it up soon and start on a book that the book club I joined wants me to read. I hesitate to call this a success, but I'm not upset at my progress.

Bonus EXP: Any additional books read: Nope.

Quest 2: Finish up one research project over course of challenge: Changed this to prepping for class, which was mostly a success.

Bonus EXP: Any additional projects completed: Nope, although there were some research successes.

DPS: NINJA

Quest 1: Running, twice a week: I did do this. There is a 5k this weekend but it looks like it's going to be snowy, so I think I'm gonna hold off on it until I'm pretty sure it won't snow. I will not run in snow. I just won't. Regardless, this was a success

Bonus EXP: Interval training: Abandoned.

Quest 2: Stretching, every day: I did do this most days. So, success.

Bonus EXP: Work on splits: I did this most days, and my legs/back do feel better, though I'm still not sure if it's this that was making my back feel better. So, success.

DPS: BARD

Quest 1: Tennis, once a week (may replace with running if league isn't going): Yup, except the one day that was canceled. Success.

Bonus EXP: Win a match: I did not, but I also only played one match. The other days were either canceled due to weather or I had clinic. I have clinic tomorrow too.

Quest 2: Write two blog posts over course of challenge: This was downgraded to one, and I still didn't do it. Too busy with the hiring searches and everything else that got thrown my way. 

Bonus EXP: Any additional blog posts written: Nope.

So yeah. Some stuff had to be abandoned, and I definitely struggled at some points, but overall I made progress. I did some wedding planning and lost a little bit of weight, though not as much as I would have liked. (Then again, that's pretty standard.)

I wish the new forum was up. I'm hella simplifying this next challenge, but I have a really nice theme that I want to share.

• Like 6

Great Job on the Challenge.  Make sure you get the water in.  I am amazed at how much difference it has made for me going from 2.5 L to 5 L a day.  You are a cycle fiend.  You are analyzing this and you are changing as need be, you will change  what you want to change and no matter what, you will look awesome in that dress.

• Like 1