• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BackStory:

Hello, again my fellow Rangers! I've not been around at all this year despite multiple failed attempts. Truthfully this has been one of the most trying times in my life I have ever experienced. Within this past year, I've moved to a different city, put final preparations on my associate's degree, and had the most severe family problems. To top things off, I've been in a terrible haze of depression these last six months that I am only now starting to come out of. Since finally regaining a moment of clarity this month, I realized that depression had been my main foe all along when it comes to me being successful. Realizing this, I decided that I wanted to do something about it. My doctor recommended I take antidepressants and that is what I will be doing. However, I realize that medication is only a supplementation and I must put in the effort to achieve my goals as well. And so that is the point of this challenge, to simply start taking the small steps each day that will build into success.

There is more to the story but for now, I just wanted to get this posted ;)

Without further ado, the challenge theme!

Quest 1: Go Swole 4 days a week at 9pm (gym 4 days a week)

Quest 2: Meditate every day at 5pm

Quest 3: Knock sleep back by 5 mins every day

Quest 4: Do anything related to my life's goals everyday (at the moment this is coding, writing, and cartography)

Ranger Challenge

Strength Feat: Complete 4 days in the gym :victorious:

Speed Feat: Row 1800 m in 10 minutes* :applouse:

Distance Feat: Run a full 2 half laps in park

Combat Feat: Sign up for Archery Range

Ranger Feat: Complete 4 mile Hiking trail despite the cold :ph34r:

• Like 8

Glad to see you back. Following along and cheering you on. I have depression too and im on meds for it. If you ever need to chat, you know you can message me. 

Good luck, you will be amazing x

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone! I already started this challenge a bit prematurely in preparation for the five weeks:). I signed up for a local gym again, and despite my struggles these last few months I have been trying to keep my diet under control (darn you holiday food!). For the last several days I have also knocked my sleeping schedule back by 15 minutes (goal is 5 minutes every day), and have made significant progress on my coding project as well.

• Like 4

Thank you so much for the support everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today started off kinda bad, my water got shut off temporarily for repairs so no coffee or shower for my new morning routine and I didn't feel motivated to do any coding whatsoever. However, I watched a good motivational video, finally caught up on game informer (been very much so behind), and finally brewed my coffee. I sat down at last to my computer but still wasn't ready to do some coding and still felt rather terrible, it was then that I discovered Hearthstone had downloaded (been curious about it and OverWatch for awhile now), so I decided to give it a shot. I must say that I really enjoyed it and will definitely be playing more! But back to coding... I decided to run an errand I had been procrastinating about and then finally sat down and got some coding done! I have one vid done so far and am working on another but first, I must meditate! 

image.png.3c3526b290ac275c12b9b5e9086a4707.png

• Like 7

On 12/29/2017 at 6:02 PM, Jedediah The Wolf said:

I decided to run an errand I had been procrastinating about and then finally sat down and got some coding done!

There are definitely those days where I can't seem to get rolling until 4, but MAN is it satisfying when you break through the bullshit. :D Excellent work!

• Like 3

Thanks again to everyone following along! The challenge had a bit of a rough start Monday because I was unexpectedly out of town and was not able to hit the gym, meditate, or code. However I did still knock my sleep back and also wrote a whole page on my ever most procrastinated novel! Tuesday was a completely different story. Not only was I able to make it to the gym, I was able to totally smash through some of my previous rep/weight ranges and also added in the workout from Monday since I had the energy and time ;) . 

Today I’m talking with my new school and doing the necessary stuff before it starts back on the 16th. This afternoon will be super busy for me, but I decided I’m going to try a free boxing class today as well. However, I doubt I will sign up due to the price point and the fact that I’m making progress in my regular gym. Nevertheless I figure it will be interesting to try something new!

On another note, I’ve learned that music can help depression and because of this I’m considering listening to less metal and more classic rock as it is generally a more cheerful music. Any opinions? It may be time to finally get Spotify lol

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, Jedediah The Wolf said:

On another note, I’ve learned that music can help depression and because of this I’m considering listening to less metal and more classic rock as it is generally a more cheerful music. Any opinions? It may be time to finally get Spotify lol

Music is probably the tool I use most to cope with my depression. The thing I've found that helps me is a wide spread of genres, that way you do have the more cheerful music to pick you up when you're down, but you also have the sad/not so happy stuff to relate to in that same mood, the livelier stuff to get you hyped up when you need it, the calmer stuff to relax you (or even cheer you up). My point is, really, try everything. Sometimes you'll be surprised at the songs or genres that turn out to be massively beneficial.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jedediah The Wolf said:

I found I got better a bit mentally when I started listening to music as well. I like metal and rock (but I listen to most genres) and I have songs for every mood on my phone, so that I can pick one and chill. 

This afternoon will be super busy for me, but I decided I’m going to try a free boxing class today as well. However, I doubt I will sign up due to the price point and the fact that I’m making progress in my regular gym. Nevertheless I figure it will be interesting to try something new!

If you have the option go for it. Maybe you'll find something you like, and after that you can shop around/try on your own. And if not, it's a thing you tried, an experience.

Tuesday was a completely different story.

You kicked that day's ass, good for you! :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jedediah The Wolf said:

I looooove spotify. It was totally worth the paid account to ditch commercials for me, and it quickly replaced Pandora as my favorite music source. Playlists and offline mode are all excellent tools for exploring and always having what you want nearby. I also really enjoy browsing their "Genres & Moods" section, and have found some awesome stuff there.. especially for instrumental background music when I'm focused on work. 

1 hour ago, iatetheyeti said:

The thing I've found that helps me is a wide spread of genres, that way you do have the more cheerful music to pick you up when you're down, but you also have the sad/not so happy stuff to relate to in that same mood, the livelier stuff to get you hyped up when you need it, the calmer stuff to relax you (or even cheer you up). My point is, really, try everything. Sometimes you'll be surprised at the songs or genres that turn out to be massively beneficial.

+1 for this. Variety = many tools. 

A trick a friend uses is to ask a bunch of people whose taste he respects: "what's the one song you've played on repeat the most often lately?"  Then he builds a playlist of tunes that are easy to fall in love with, and then refines it based on what he likes. He does this several times a year. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jedediah The Wolf said:

Thanks again to everyone following along! The challenge had a bit of a rough start Monday because I was unexpectedly out of town and was not able to hit the gym, meditate, or code. However I did still knock my sleep back and also wrote a whole page on my ever most procrastinated novel! Tuesday was a completely different story. Not only was I able to make it to the gym, I was able to totally smash through some of my previous rep/weight ranges and also added in the workout from Monday since I had the energy and time ;) . 

Today I’m talking with my new school and doing the necessary stuff before it starts back on the 16th. This afternoon will be super busy for me, but I decided I’m going to try a free boxing class today as well. However, I doubt I will sign up due to the price point and the fact that I’m making progress in my regular gym. Nevertheless I figure it will be interesting to try something new!

Two Tickets to Paradise

Don't Stop me Now-Queen

The Rain Song-Led Zeppelin. It's mellow, but super awesome.

Anything Boston ever made ever.

When I say I love you you say you better-Meatloaf

Any Way You Want It Journey

And that's just off the top of my head.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jedediah The Wolf said:

More metal is always the answer :D Okay I'm not helping. 

• Like 1

Hey everyone! Week 1 wasn't too bad,;) I had a few ups and downs but made it! I completed my Ranger feat and hiked a trail. However, it was not the original one I had intended but I Rangered through it in the cold anyway. I also tried boxing for the first time and really enjoyed it, but I think I'll stick to my current routine as I am seeing astonishing results with it (progress pics are a future possibility :)  ). I unfortunately only made 3/4 days to the gym and missed a couple of days of meditation and definitely took a hit to my mood. However, the missed days I was out being sociable so I forgave myself lol! On another note, i'm thinking about picking up some game design books to expand my knowledge further into the field. Afterall, a wee bit reading never hurt anyone ;) 

image.png.4da707723efa09d569ad410bbad1f555.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1